F1 2021 Season

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
But the Red Bull is faster than the Mercedes, right? Hamilton is the underdog, Verstappen is nailed on to be champion, right? :lol:
No disrespect but I don’t get posts like this. If Hamilton and Bottas go faster it is because they have a faster car. If Verstappen or Perez go faster it’s because they drove amazingly.

It’s factually correct to say that throughout this weekend Red Bull has been faster. That’s shown in times and data.

I don’t know why they lost out in qualifying. They either lost their balance which by the way the cars drove looks like it could be the case. Not sure if they changed their set up. Or they could simply have just had bad laps and didn’t perform as well as they should have. Let’s not pretend we know the answer.

Leg-End

Saw the result, wasn’t expecting that. 2nd or 3rd is the place to be here so T1 will be tasty

RoadTrip

My view is that both of these cars are superb. I think they are both competitive. I think at some tracks one is faster. At others, the other.

So for me, I don’t think one can say they won the championship when it all settles because they had the faster car. I think it’ll be purely down to whichever driver had the better overall season.

I am a Hamilton fan but frankly, I’m just glad to see such a competitive championship. It feels like years and years ago it’s been like this. I’m just enjoying it. Both drivers have been amazing and whoever wins it can truly say they deserve it and it’ll be because they were the best driver this season.

RoadTrip

Everybody knows pole here is a disadvantage because of the long straight.

2nd is the real pole.
Third is actually seen as the best spot. Clean side of the track plus the slip stream.

Second is still a great spot though.

It’ll be exciting tomorrow. Could genuinely see 3 cars side by side into turn one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Third is actually seen as the best spot. Clean side of the track plus the slip stream.

Second is still a great spot though.

It’ll be exciting tomorrow. Could genuinely see 3 cars side by side into turn one.
While that's true he'll get blocked and lose momentum just like what happened to Russell in Sochi.

No chance will Ham let him get a slip stream and an easy over take

Fluctuation0161

No disrespect but I don’t get posts like this. If Hamilton and Bottas go faster it is because they have a faster car. If Verstappen or Perez go faster it’s because they drove amazingly.

It’s factually correct to say that throughout this weekend Red Bull has been faster. That’s shown in times and data.

I don’t know why they lost out in qualifying. They either lost their balance which by the way the cars drove looks like it could be the case. Not sure if they changed their set up. Or they could simply have just had bad laps and didn’t perform as well as they should have. Let’s not pretend we know the answer.
Too reasonable. Let's just claim Max is the best driver in the Universe in a crappy car.

Mexican GP Qualifying Result

pauldyson1uk

1Valtteri Bottas77Mercedesfastest lap 1:16.7271:16.864fastest lap 1:15.875
2Lewis Hamilton44Mercedes1:17.207fastest lap 1:16.4741:16.020
3Max Verstappen33Red Bull1:16.7881:16.4831:16.225
4Sergio Perez11Red Bull1:17.0031:17.0551:16.342
5Pierre Gasly10AlphaTauri1:16.9081:16.9551:16.456
6Carlos Sainz Jnr55Ferrari1:17.5171:17.2481:16.761
7Daniel Ricciardo3McLaren1:17.7191:17.0921:16.763
8Charles Leclerc16Ferrari1:16.7481:17.0341:16.837
9Yuki Tsunoda22AlphaTauri1:17.3301:16.7011:17.158
10Lando Norris4McLaren1:17.5691:17.4731:36.830
11Sebastian Vettel5Aston Martin1:17.5021:17.746not available-
12Kimi Raikkonen7Alfa Romeo1:17.6061:17.958not available-
13George Russell63Williams1:17.9581:18.172not available-
14Antonio Giovinazzi99Alfa Romeo1:17.8971:18.290not available-
15Esteban Ocon31Alpine1:18.1261:18.405not available-
16Fernando Alonso14Alpine1:18.452not available-not available-
17Nicholas Latifi6Williams1:18.756not available-not available-
18Mick Schumacher47Haas1:18.858not available-not available-
19Nikita Mazepin9Haas1:19.303not available-not available-
20Lance Stroll18Aston Martin1:20.873not available-not available-

RoadTrip

While that's true he'll get blocked and lose momentum just like what happened to Russell in Sochi.

No chance will Ham let him get a slip stream and an easy over take
I think because it’s a front low lock out by Merc, that definitely makes the appeal of third a lot less. It gives Merc a huge advantage. But I think it’s going to be a super exciting run to turn one.

dinostar77

Well that was a suprise. Front row lockout for Mercs. One of the longest runs on the calender down to turn one so Pole Position isnt always best place to be.

Adam-Utd

I think because it’s a front low lock out by Merc, that definitely makes the appeal of third a lot less. It gives Merc a huge advantage. But I think it’s going to be a super exciting run to turn one.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a bump/spin while they fight it out.

ArjenIsM3

so everybody keeps saying

What I don't know is why everyone keeps saying that, why everyone feels the need to act as if Lewis or Mercedes are somehow underdogs. They're not. They have a reputation for turning up in qualifying. It's also clear the Mercs have been faster with the latest upgrades. It's close and that's what makes this season exciting but there's no reason to call the reigning champions underdogs.

The Hilton

What I don't know is why everyone keeps saying that, why everyone feels the need to act as if Lewis or Mercedes are somehow underdogs. They're not. They have a reputation for turning up in qualifying. It's also clear the Mercs have been faster with the latest upgrades. It's close and that's what makes this season exciting but there's no reason to call the reigning champions underdogs.
With the amount of projection in this post you should consider opening your own cinema!

RoadTrip

And there’s no reason to constantly act like Max is some kind of underdog in a slower car, either. Which is precisely why I said why I said. At this stage anyone who wastes time talking about which car is faster or not is doing precisely that - wasting time. Hence, I don’t get your post. It wasn’t provoked, it wasn’t a response to a quote. It’s just a subliminal way of trying to effectively say one driver is better or worse than another.

Anyway, I don’t want to get bogged into a debate on this. Like I said in my other post, I think the cars are consistent enough that it’s a non factor and whoever wins will be the winner because they’re the best driver of the year. Whether that is Max or Lewis.

ArjenIsM3

And there’s no reason to constantly act like Max is some kind of underdog in a slower car, either. Which is precisely why I said why I said. At this stage anyone who wastes time talking about which car is faster or not is doing precisely that - wasting time. Hence, I don’t get your post. It wasn’t provoked, it wasn’t a response to a quote. It’s just a subliminal way of trying to effectively say one driver is better or worse than another.

Anyway, I don’t want to get bogged into a debate on this. Like I said in my other post, I think the cars are consistent enough that it’s a non factor and whoever wins will be the winner because they’re the best driver of the year. Whether that is Max or Lewis.
I'm not saying that at all. And I might not have quoted anyone, but people on here are constantly saying the Red Bull is faster and Max is nailed on to be champion. Agree with the last bit.

ArjenIsM3

With the amount of projection in this post you should consider opening your own cinema!
Perhaps I don't understand your post fully, but I think you may be misinterpreting my post. I'm not saying the Merc is faster than the Red Bull. I'm saying the upgrades made it a faster car than it was. Which they had to do considering at that point it did look like the RB was faster for a few races. Wish I could open my own cinema though :lol:

Wicked_Badger

Well that was a suprise. Front row lockout for Mercs. One of the longest runs on the calender down to turn one so Pole Position isnt always best place to be.
Pretty much this. Very unexpected quali result, but it’s definitely not over at all. Just another twist in an incredible season. Listening to the F1 media over the last couple of weeks, you’d believe that anything other than a Red Bull 1/2 here would be almost impossible. Just goes to show…

Don’t think Max was on for pole even without the clusterf*ck ahead of him. I do feel RB were a bit guilty of trying to manufacture the perfect scenario for Max/Checo to get 1/2 though. Max usually has a quicker out lap than most; feel like the sequencing can’t have helped him much.

Brilliant lap by Bottas though. He actually looked a touch emotional about how good his first Q3 lap was.

Can’t wait for the race tomorrow. Could be epic.

Last edited:

Dan_F

For some reason, Lewis seems to have had a lot of slower starts over the last couple of years, he definitely can’t afford one today. The first corner could be a complete mess given the long run.

Dan_F

He had a pretty good start in Austin!
Oh yeah of course, I was just pointing out it feels like he’s a lot of slower starts, relative to how good he is at everything else. It probably just feels that way because I focus more on him, I’m sure it’s the same for all drivers.

United Hobbit

Really hope this is an exciting race, I'd love a shock result

Hope those saying the first corner could be messy are right

What's Mexico usually like for overtaking and excitement?

Rooney1987

But the Red Bull is faster than the Mercedes, right? Hamilton is the underdog, Verstappen is nailed on to be champion, right? :lol:
What is this obsession in wanting Max and RB to be the underdog. Everytime the Mercs get an advantage in practice or qualifying, you guys are in here tellings you told us so. Even did it in Austin after P1 then RB went on to dominate all weekend and suddenly went all quiet. Do you think it'll be more gratification if he wins it?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
What is this obsession in wanting Max and RB to be the underdog. Everytime the Mercs get an advantage in practice or qualifying, you guys are in here tellings you told us so. Even did it in Austin after P1 then RB went on to dominate all weekend and suddenly went all quiet. Do you think it'll be more gratification if he wins it?
They're trying to cover their ass in case Hamilton and Mercedes pulls a championship win out of their ass

Adam-Utd

I dont see any mishap at turn 1.
Bottas and Lewis will hold off Max.
I see the lead changing a few times between the 3.
the issue is bottas will be going for the win, he won’t play team mate.

i think lewis needs to do everything he can to block max and then hope to get bottas later on

pauldyson1uk

the issue is bottas will be going for the win, he won’t play team mate.

i think lewis needs to do everything he can to block max and then hope to get bottas later on
Mercedes needs Bottas, they need his points for the constructers title.
Max will be hoping Lewis and Bottas take each other out, I dont think they will.
Max will have a good toe he could shock them both and take the lead.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Lewis needs a win today I think. It’ll be a long way back for him if Max wins today