F1 2021 Season

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Yep, sorry - the standings I was looking at didn't include today :houllier:

Max's advantage definitely then - at the least it needs Bottas to come ahead of Max on the Merc tracks. Also, I do feel that the Red bull are winning easier on their tracks compared to Merc on theirs.
Ah, ok. I wasn’t sure if there was some BS double points at Abu Dhabi that I wasn’t aware of or something. There is the sprint at Brazil next week too which has points on offer, so I actually expect Max to gain 8-9 on Lewis next weekend. Like you say, advantage Max now, but you’d be a fool to completely rule Lewis out

Jerch

Hamilton comment on Perez catching him up remided me why I don't like him as a person. Calling driver out like that just to justify why he couldn't keep up with Max is really not appropriate.

Good win for Max and more important great race for Red Bull now only 1 point behind Mercedes. It's refreshing to see a season like that when everything is up in the air 4 races out.

ChaddyP

Hamilton comment on Perez catching him up remided me why I don't like him as a person. Calling driver out like that just to justify why he couldn't keep up with Max is really not appropriate.

Good win for Max and more important great race for Red Bull now only 1 point behind Mercedes. It's refreshing to see a season like that when everything is up in the air 4 races out.
You know that comment really fecking pissed me off. We are all extremely happy for the guy then Hamilton comes with this back hand comment to piss in his cup.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What did he say?

slyadams

Hard to see past Max now. DNFs the only chance, I don't see Qatar or Saudi being particularly Merc favouring tbh.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What did he say?
My transcription (apologies for any errors):
Couthard: "The atmosphere here is quite special, isn't it, the support for Checo - you saw him coming towards you at the end of the GP - how worried were you about that pressure?"
Lewis: "I mean the pressure is - I've had that many times before so it was easy to hold on. But it just shows how fast their car is when Sergio is that close behind me and able to follow that closely - he did a great job so he was applying that pressure and just kept going - yeah but I really enjoyed the race still."

The fans only started booing when he said it was easy to hold on - personally I don't think Lewis meant anything malicious here but it's pretty tonedeaf I'd say, especially given the circumstances of a Mexican driver finishing on podium for the first time in Mexico.

massi83

Bottas has no reason to do anything extra for Merc. Toto has been total asshole to him most of the season. Actually blamed him when Merc couldn't change a tyre in less than 12 hours.

Finnish broadcaster asked Kimi if he would do "one more year". Kimi replied: "one more beer".

Dan_F

I don’t know what to tell you if you think that quote is him shitting on Perez. I thought it was quite obvious to everyone how difficult it was to follow someone that closely during the race. Lewis took several laps to close up and lap the back markers, there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have been able to do it without the blue flags. The sentence after he said Perez did a great job, but I’m not surprised people are reading too much into that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t know what to tell you if you think that quote is him shitting on Perez. I thought it was quite obvious to everyone how difficult it was to follow someone that closely during the race. Lewis took several laps to close up and lap the back markers, there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have been able to do it without the blue flags. The sentence after he said Perez did a great job, but I’m not surprised people are reading too much into that.
I don't think he was trying to shit on Perez, I just think that it's easy to interpret his quote as shitting on Perez, especially in a country where English isn't the first language.

I imagine that it's difficult to give a measured response immediately in the wake of a race (especially when your pre-race plans have been completely torpedoed by your teammate); at the same time I think Lewis made a rod for his own back. Surely he should know given how rabid the crowd were anything ambiguous would be taken the wrong way?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Couthard: "The atmosphere here is quite special, isn't it, the support for Checo - you saw him coming towards you at the end of the GP - how worried were you about that pressure?"
Lewis: "I mean the pressure is - I've had that many times before so it was easy to hold on. But it just shows how fast their car is when Sergio is that close behind me and able to follow that closely - he did a great job so he was applying that pressure and just kept going - yeah but I really enjoyed the race still."

The fans only started booing when he said it was easy to hold on - personally I don't think Lewis meant anything malicious here but it's pretty tonedeaf I'd say, especially given the circumstances of a Mexican driver finishing on podium for the first time in Mexico.
Thanks! I don't really see the harm in that. He's just saying that he has experienced pressure before so this didn't faze him. People read too much into stuff.
Finnish broadcaster asked Kimi if he would do "one more year". Kimi replied: "one more beer".
Works amazingly well in both English and Finnish! :lol:

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

I watched the interview Lewis gave and did not get the impression he was shitting on Perez.
Yeah OK the wording was wrong.
First thing he did was praise Max and Red Bull and also said Perez did a good job.
But people read what they want to read in any statement

hobbers

"If even Perez is catching you, you know they have to have a faster car".

What Hamilton said, almost verbatim.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks! I don't really see the harm in that. He's just saying that he's experienced pressure before so this didn't faze him. People read to much into stuff.
I watched the interview Lewis gave and did not get the impression he was shitting on Perez.
Yeah OK the wording was wrong.
First thing he did was praise Max and Red Bull and also said Perez did a good job.
But people read what they want to read in any statement
Yeah I fully agree that there wasn't intent - but at the same time he could have been more diplomatic given how rabid the crowd were. I think given his frustration over how things went it's completely understandable - citing this as a reason to dislike Lewis seems rather OTT for me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
"If even Perez is catching you, you know they have to have a faster car".

What Hamilton said, almost verbatim.
Key word there is almost mate. His intent was to praise Perez for coping better with the dirty air than he did - he really struggled trying to get past Lando.

pauldyson1uk

Yeah I fully agree that there wasn't intent - but at the same time he could have been more diplomatic given how rabid the crowd were. I think given his frustration over how things went it's completely understandable - citing this as a reason to dislike Lewis seems rather OTT for me.
I agree,
Hating on Lewis seems to be the favourite game this season and he brings it on himself most of the time, but not this time.

NK86

I mean even as someone who is not a Hamilton fan, it's funny to see how people can get all twisted for such an innocuous statement. Obviously he will say it's easy to hold on when he has a strong car himself. Should have said he was shitting himself? People just hear what they want to.

dinostar77

Bottas is utterly useless isnt he? What was that at the start? Left the racing line down to turn 1 wide open for max. The drivers championship maybe a foregone conclusion but the constructors is really close, however bottas being so rubbish in traffic means he needs start high up the grid and avoid incidents in first few laps to stand any chance of a really good points haul. Doesnt help Mercedes at all.

Max now has 9 victories this season to lewis who has 5. He deserves the WDC this season.

Dan_F

I don't think he was trying to shit on Perez, I just think that it's easy to interpret his quote as shitting on Perez, especially in a country where English isn't the first language.

I imagine that it's difficult to give a measured response immediately in the wake of a race (especially when your pre-race plans have been completely torpedoed by your teammate); at the same time I think Lewis made a rod for his own back. Surely he should know given how rabid the crowd were anything ambiguous would be taken the wrong way?
I was talking about the posters in here rather than the Mexican fans. He gets booed everywhere now anyway, regardless of what he says.

F-Red

Bottas has no reason to do anything extra for Merc. Toto has been total asshole to him most of the season. Actually blamed him when Merc couldn't change a tyre in less than 12 hours.

I can't see how anyone can get into an honest discussion about anything 'extra' from the guy, when he's not even done his basic job this year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Congrats Max, you can have the quickest car but you need to do the job like Lewis has previously and fair fecks to him, he’s nailed it this year.

The Hilton

Congrats Max, you can have the quickest car but you need to do the job like Lewis has previously and fair fecks to him, he’s nailed it this year.
Yeah that's pretty much the size of it, fastest car doesn't matter if you can't drive it, and he's driven it really well for the most part.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Tonedeaf at worst, definitely nothing in that though imo, and probably not meant as a slight on Perez either.

I would've liked the difference to be closer rather than at 20 points especially with Brazil coming up next week which should be a RB track as well, but anything can still happen from here on out.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Looking past the obvious (Max being dominant, Bottas bottling it) Gasly with a number 4 finish is absolutely doing a great job this year. Very nice likeable guy imo, so happy to see how he is bouncing back after being replaced at Red Bull.

ArjenIsM3

Looking past the obvious (Max being dominant, Bottas bottling it) Gasly with a number 4 finish is absolutely doing a great job this year. Very nice likeable guy imo, so happy to see how he is bouncing back after being replaced at Red Bull.
Yeah, if he keeps this up next season I can see him replacing Perez

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Gasly was critical of the car when he was at Red Bull and wanted them to help make adjustments to his car so it'll better suit his driving.

Horner/Newey saw it as a slight and basically told him to shut up and drive before demoting him back to Torro Rosso shortly after the incident.

To be honest, I don't think Newey has any problems with Gasly, and it's more of Horner being too proud to admit he's wrong about Gasly.

Jaxa

You know that comment really fecking pissed me off. We are all extremely happy for the guy then Hamilton comes with this back hand comment to piss in his cup.
It really wasn't that deep of a comment at all, are you sure it doesn't seem worse in your head because of your hate for Hamilton ? this is what gets me with the people who have some weird hate for him, their reasonings are never that justified, always very weak excuses.

Sergio has never been chasing Hamilton in any races this season so his comment was fair, the red bulls were a lot faster than merc in yesterdays race.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

Spot on this one.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It really wasn't that deep of a comment at all, are you sure it doesn't seem worse in your head because of your hate for Hamilton ? this is what gets me with the people who have some weird hate for him, their reasonings are never that justified, always very weak excuses.

Sergio has never been chasing Hamilton in any races this season so his comment was fair, the red bulls were a lot faster than merc in yesterdays race.
He says: don't like as a person.

Your interpretation: you hate him.

Wtf man? There are miles and miles of emotions between those two takes...

Fluctuation0161

Gasly was critical of the car when he was at Red Bull and wanted them to help make adjustments to his car so it'll better suit his driving.

Horner/Newey saw it as a slight and basically told him to shut up and drive before demoting him back to Torro Rosso shortly after the incident.

To be honest, I don't think Newey has any problems with Gasly, and it's more of Horner being too proud to admit he's wrong about Gasly.
Ahhh thanks for sharing.

I think you're probably right about Horner too. Seems to me he had made up his mind on Gasly and mismanaged him. Piling on extra pressure when he should've supported him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Spot on this one.
You're both letting your dislike for Hamilton misread the quote massively.

What he is saying is not a slight on Perez at all.

What he means is usually another car cannot follow so closely in the dirty air. Once you get within 2/3 seconds it starts becoming very tough. The fact Perez managed to stay several laps behind Hamilton within 1-1.5 seconds showed how much faster the red bull car is.

Nobody can usually ever catch up with a Mercedes + stay in the dirty air for that amount of time.

Of course though you'll twist it however you like.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
You're both letting your dislike for Hamilton misread the quote massively.

What he means is usually another car cannot follow so closely in the dirty air. Once you get within 2/3 seconds it starts becoming very tough. The fact Perez managed to stay several laps behind Hamilton within 1-1.5 seconds showed how much faster the red bull car is.

Nobody can usually ever catch up with a Mercedes + stay in the dirty air for that amount of time.

Of course though you'll twist it however you like.
Could be, perhaps you are right. I will never claim to be a Formula 1 expert, so it could be that your explanation goes a long way and should be interpreted as such. The situation was discusses quite lengthy yesterday on Dutch tv (which obviously favor Red Bull) and the main interpretation of the quote there was that Hamilton was sneering at Perez. But they could also have been wrong.

Furthermore I dont really dislike Hamilton. I think he is obviously an excellent driver, a true champions, on of the greats in in the history of the sports. Off court he is (almost always, Silverstone this year still stings for me) respectful towards all his colleagues. Off the court I think he is an example role model in the ways he presents himself towards the media, as a sportsman and from social perspective.

The thing that I find unsymphatic about him is that when he is struggling and has the wind in his face during the race, he has a habit of sneering and looking for excuses as an immediate response. (which he more often than not doesnt repeat or downplays after the race immediately)

GeorgieBoy

Yeah really bizarre. His comments clearly weren't made in bad taste but give his 'haters' (I hate that word) a chance and they'll jump on him.

Jaxa

Could be, perhaps you are right. I will never claim to be a Formula 1 expert, so it could be that your explanation goes a long way and should be interpreted as such. The situation was discusses quite lengthy yesterday on Dutch tv (which obviously favor Red Bull) and the main interpretation of the quote there was that Hamilton was sneering at Perez. But they could also have been wrong.

Furthermore I dont really dislike Hamilton. I think he is obviously an excellent driver, a true champions, on of the greats in in the history of the sports. Off court he is (almost always, Silverstone this year still stings for me) respectful towards all his colleagues. Off the court I think he is an example role model in the ways he presents himself towards the media, as a sportsman and from social perspective.

The thing that I find unsymphatic about him is that when he is struggling and has the wind in his face during the race, he has a habit of sneering and looking for excuses as an immediate response. (which he more often than not doesnt repeat or downplays after the race immediately)
Well if that is what you find annoys you about Hamilton surely the same has to be said about Max, the biggest complainer in F1 along with Karen Horner? When it doesn't go right for Max he calls people idiot's, he drives extremely dangerously, he's a very bad sportsman and that has followed him throughout his career so far, I won't tell you your comment is incorrect about Hamilton as it's your opinion and that's fair but if you think Max isn't at the minimum the same way your comment looks to be suspiciously swayed in the favour of Max because he's dutch, let's all just call a spade a spade regardless of nationalities

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Well if that is what you find annoys you about Hamilton surely the same has to be said about Max, the biggest complainer in F1 along with Karen Horner? When it doesn't go right for Max he calls people idiot's, he drives extremely dangerously, he's a very bad sportsman and that has followed him throughout his career so far, I won't tell you your comment is incorrect about Hamilton as it's your opinion and that's fair but if you think Max isn't at the minimum the same way your comment looks to be suspiciously swayed in the favour of Max because he's dutch, let's all just call a spade a spade regardless of nationalities
I dislike Max massively as a person. Nowhere have I ever suggested anything that suggest I like Max as a person..

EDIT:
I read it back, I literally havent said anything about Max in this discussion. I solely mentioned things I dislike about Lewis.

Why did you bring Max in the equation here? Your interpreation of this is - because Im Dutch? - is that I have some Max vs Lewis agenda? That is I say something I dislike about Lewis that I don't dislike something similar in Max?

I favor Max to win the Championship, definitely and Im biased towards him from a driving perspective probably. However in this case we were only talking about personality traits and nowhere have I every said I think Max is a likeable guy or is more/less likeable than Lewis...

Last edited:

ChaddyP

wtf? I absolutely adore Hamilton. I found it a distasteful comment and it rubbed me the wrong way. It was a shitty comment and it wasnt necessary in my opinion. But because i critique his comment im a Hamilton hater? feck off with that

Fluctuation0161

I think this is the best explanation.

Jerch

I think this is the best explanation.
It is as far from reality as all other responses to my original post which tried to explain why Hamilton didn't meant anything bad.

First, Perez as soon as he got to close had to back out, recharge the batteries and try again in the last lap so it's not really true.
And also if that would be a reason he said that he should stated that and I'm sure he would stated that cuz it would explain even more how Red Bull were much faster which he tried to do.

For me and for most people I know it was a dig at Perez but not in a way he wanted to insult Perez but more in a way he wanted to express an example from which we can see Red Bull was faster.

I'm also positive that if he would think a second more before saying that he wouldn't say it but still, he should take a second more to think about an answer. Especially when Perez is at home race celebration the result.