F1 2021 Season

telstar96

The same argument was thrown around about Rosberg's WC win but tbf only thing that it helped Lewis was that Rosberg decided to retire because of it and he got Bottas in the team who was brought in as a second driver and not one who will challenge Lewis.
I think that's harsh on Lewis. Losing to Rosberg, motivated him to take his skills to the next level. Against Vettel, he won through consistency and being perfect 99% of the time. It didn't matter he had non-threatening teammate, as he still had to contend with a 4 time world champion. Pre-2016, Lewis would make plenty of mistakes and was far from the perfect driver. Granted, he has made a few errors this year, but his consistency of scoring points makes him a complete driver and has kept him in the title hunt.

If he does lose, it's not the end of the world. Maybe he'll come back next year a even better driver. Either way, Lewis will always be that guy who can rack up points consistently over the course of a season.

dinostar77

Yeah I think if lewis loses the title this season, he'll come back super motivated for next season as will Mercedes. Russell will be a better challenge for lewis and a proper teammate as well on track, making life difficult for other teams. Though Russell may learn the hard way that Rosberg did of the extremes you have to go to as lewis's teammate to beat him over a course of a season. It was too much for Rosberg to go through again.

So far for a very long time, the rule of thumb has been that the best car normally wins a driver the WDC. There is the odd occasion when this isnt true, ala the season when ferrari were illegally oil burning or whatever they did. But vettel couldn't cut out the mistakes. This season the best car over the course of the season across all the tracks is again going to deliver a WDC for its driver.

Hopefully the huge rule changes for next season might change that status quo and bring the drivers talent back into it more. So you dont have to have the best car in the grid. Maybe one of the top 3-4 cars and you are still in with a shout.

Anyway lewis is only 36, hes got plenty of time to get no8 if he wants. He can easily drive into his 40s and be competitive as Alonso is currently. It's all about motivation, desire and of course a car that can help you challenge for the WDC.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Just as a serious question, does anybody still buy into Hamilton’s Senna bullshit? Bloke was 9 when Senna died. He wouldn’t be able to remember a pinch of shit about Senna the racer except what others told him. It’s like expecting me to talk about Cantona as a great player and a god… I understand he may have been a great player but it’s incredibly difficult for me to associate my passion of United with him.

He put something up today about senna and the difficulties he faced… senna was son of a wealthy Brazilian family… he has very little obstacles in his way..

ArjenIsM3

Just as a serious question, does anybody still buy into Hamilton’s Senna bullshit? Bloke was 9 when Senna died. He wouldn’t be able to remember a pinch of shit about Senna the racer except what others told him. It’s like expecting me to talk about Cantona as a great player and a god… I understand he may have been a great player but it’s incredibly difficult for me to associate my passion of United with him.

He put something up today about senna and the difficulties he faced… senna was son of a wealthy Brazilian family… he has very little obstacles in his way..
Nope, standard PR bollocks in my opinion.

The Firestarter

Just as a serious question, does anybody still buy into Hamilton’s Senna bullshit? Bloke was 9 when Senna died. He wouldn’t be able to remember a pinch of shit about Senna the racer except what others told him. It’s like expecting me to talk about Cantona as a great player and a god…
Not impossible, I still remember some particular movies or series episodes that I watched at that age in great details.

pauldyson1uk

I remember Senna well and remember his last race very well.
Lewis was 9 at the time, I might well remember watching it and all that followed , but anything else, doubtful.
I will go with PR stunt, its that of stuff that annoys those that dont really like Lewis and I can understand it.

Dan_F

I remember watching Mika Hakkinen battling with Schumacher and Sampras winning Wimbledon multiple times and I was born in 89. These were sports that I was no where near as interested in as football too, for example I can remember watching the 96 cup final at 7 years old, you best believe I’d have been effected by someone dying during it.

Obviously that also develops over time. The line between a vivid memory and what you’ve since been told or watched gets blurred. I would absolutely count Cantona as a hero of mine, even though he only played on for United a year or two after that cup final.

But then again, it is Hamilton, so it’s not a surprise that people look on it with a cynical view.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I remember Senna well and remember his last race very well.
Lewis was 9 at the time, I might well remember watching it and all that followed , but anything else, doubtful.
I will go with PR stunt, its that of stuff that annoys those that dont really like Lewis and I can understand it.
the lewis hate here is unreal. i remember senna frequently talking about an 8 or 9 year old kid from the uk that he used to talk to often and relay his struggles in the world of f1, alongside his hopes and fears regarding climate change and equality. typical max fan boys. they’re just upset that at age 9 their man was pulling the legs off frogs, bullying disabled kids and telling tramps how much more successful he was than them and that he was only 9.

The Firestarter

the lewis hate here is unreal. i remember senna frequently talking about an 8 or 9 year old kid from the uk that he used to talk to often and relay his struggles in the world of f1, alongside his hopes and fears regarding climate change and equality. typical max fan boys. they’re just upset that at age 9 their man was pulling the legs off frogs, bullying disabled kids and telling tramps how much more successful he was than them and that he was only 9.
:lol:

ChaddyP

I'm 34 and Dale Earnhardt and rusty Wallace were my NASCAR heroes. Watched them battle with my dad when I was like 5 years old. It's probably a stunt but it's not impossible to have someone as a hero in your sport at that age

F-Red

What an odd take.

F-Red

Is it? I remember feck all from what I watched when I was that age.
I mean of all things to criticise the bloke, and this is the hot take on Hamilton at the moment. Just seems very odd thing to be concerned about.

Engine penalty for Hamilton, 5 place grid drop for Sunday. Should spice up the action.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
:lol:

Dan_F

Is it? I remember feck all from what I watched when I was that age.
9 years old I was running around in adidas predators, demanding to wear the number 7 for our school and club. I was devastated after France 98, when I was…9 years old. I still have the Panini sticker book that I scribbled all across in black marker because I hated Simeone so much. So yeah, if Beckham died I’d probably remember it :lol:

That said, I have no idea how interested he was in Senna at the time.

Abizzz

I was 6 when Senna died and I still remember my older brother coming to the dinner table with the news (telling my dad after having heard it from TV that evening). It's not Hamilton's fault other mothers drop their babies on their heads :lol:

The Firestarter

They have admitted there is a problem with the engine this season, reliability is way down, sure have read some sort of production problem
Be that as it may, the client teams seem to not have it ? Probably they are using the absolute highest performance mode, which comes with the expected risks.

MTF

There's a lot of Senna interviews in English where he talks about life and motivation and such. So despite him having passed when Hamilton was so young, there's a lot of opportunities to get insight into Senna's personality and thinking. I know because Senna was also my childhood hero (was 6 when he died), and I know about his life and personality from things I watched and read much after his death.

About Senna and difficulties, even as a fan I know that he was the main promotor of these perceived difficulties. That Suzuka 1989 decision to disqualify him from the race was a travesty, but besides that he faced about the same challenges and odds as any other F1 driver.

pauldyson1uk

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff explains why Hamilton has taken a five-place grid penalty in Brazil, saying: "We feel we can score more points.

"We have degradation on the engine. Until the end of the season it’s just going to continue to decrease in power and we haven’t yet realised why that is. We’re just seeing it creep down."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Be that as it may, the client teams seem to not have it ? Probably they are using the absolute highest performance mode, which comes with the expected risks.
it seems this way. Williams/Mclaren/Aston Martin haven't had the same issues.

I'd imagine they're just running it at 100% power to keep up with Red Bull and it's caught up with them.

If you can't remember things from 9 years old i'd seriously worry about you :lol:

He was into racing from a very young age thanks to his dad, i'd say there's a very good chance his Dad loved Senna and passed that on too.

I'm younger than Hamilton and I can remember the moment he died. Luckily I wasn't watching at the time but running around with my cousins. I can remember my whole family shocked, was surreal. I'd never known anything to effect them like that before.

Fluctuation0161

I remember watching F1 when I was 9. It is perfectly feasible.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I remember watching F1 when I was 9. It is perfectly feasible.
Plus Lewis was karting at a reasonable level and wining races by the time he was 8... was the youngest junior karting champ at 10 so I find it perfectly plausible that in his earliest years Senna was an idol ... and Lewis at 8 or 9 I'm guessing had as good an understanding of racing lines and car control as moat people a hell of a lot older