F1 2021 Season

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I would have gone with Piastri, feels like he's ready to step up from F2. Personally, given the reg changes I would have stuck with Giovanazzi, but money talks.
You've Bottas there as the experienced driver, Giovanazzi does nothing each race really. Don't mind seeing him gone to get some new blood in.

F-Red

You've Bottas there as the experienced driver, Giovanazzi does nothing each race really. Don't mind seeing him gone to get some new blood in.
You need some experience still within the team, Giovanazzi has done a decent job in that car & with the complete change in regulations next year they''ll need a reference point. Bottas, whilst good for Alfa, will need to get up to speed quickly. You only have to look at McLaren this year to see the impact of a new driver coming in and taking time to adapt to the team and car.

elmo

You need some experience still within the team, Giovanazzi has done a decent job in that car & with the complete change in regulations next year they''ll need a reference point. Bottas, whilst good for Alfa, will need to get up to speed quickly. You only have to look at McLaren this year to see the impact of a new driver coming in and taking time to adapt to the team and car.
It's precisely because it's new regulations that it's a clean slate and they don't need Giovanazzi at all. His experience in the Alfa won't be relevant anymore.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Absolutely massive performance by Hamilton last weekend. This is exactly what we wanted towards the end of the Championship. This will be one decided by such small margins in the very last race.

As a Dutchy I obviously hope Max pulls it off, but either way this Championship brings back the excitement which has been gone for so long..

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i rewatch all the races in reverse, for me, hamilton had a very poor start and tumbled down the grid. it was interesting to see mick get his first win and to see mazepin to finally lose a race. maybe he’ll get a bit less hate now he’s not absolutely dominating races.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
wheel to wheel is a rather grandiose term for “i’ll just not brake until way too late, forcing you to take evasive action.”

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Brakes too late to cover off hamilton, outbreaks himself to make the corner and misses the apex completely. Ends up blocking Hamilton so he can't turn in and doesn't even make the corner himself running wide and keeping the position.

It's either a 5 second penalty or he should have been instructed to give the place back - just like ample of other similar incidents throughout the season had to.

You only have to go back to USA to see examples of Alonso and Raikkonen doing exactly the same things and having to give the position back.

They really messed this one up.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Absolutely massive performance by Hamilton last weekend. This is exactly what we wanted towards the end of the Championship. This will be one decided by such small margins in the very last race.

As a Dutchy I obviously hope Max pulls it off, but either way this Championship brings back the excitement which has been gone for so long..
I dont mind who wins - I just hope its won on track by racing (not taking the other one out) and that the points from spa dont decide it as it was joke of a decision to run behind a safety car all gp just enough laps so they dont have to refund fans

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think the telling thing is how he only slightly turns in before only turning fully when he already knows he is pushing both cars wide. Im convinced he did it on purpose. But even if he didn’t, it is a penalty either way so whether he did it with intention or not is largely irrelevant.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The steering wheel angle says it all, he was lucky to avoid a penalty.
indeed - I think if the stewards had that at the time they would have given him a 5 second penlty

now to see if merc raise the issue (I think they will) and if any retrospective action will be taken (im not so sure as its such strange situation)

RoadTrip

The more I watch it, for me the intent is clear. And perhaps, that warrants a stronger penalty than a 5 second penalty.

Thinking back to Silverstone, what is really the difference here? The only reason they crashed at Silverstone but not here is because Hamilton continued to go wide instead of continuing to turn in like Max did at Silverstone. Also Hamilton was miles closer to the apex then Max was.

It’s as if Hamilton is being punished (by Max not being punished) because he avoided the collision (sensible).

It’s truly bizarre.

Abizzz

The more I watch it, for me the intent is clear. And perhaps, that warrants a stronger penalty than a 5 second penalty.

Thinking back to Silverstone, what is really the difference here? The only reason they crashed at Silverstone but not here is because Hamilton continued to go wide instead of continuing to turn in like Max did at Silverstone. Also Hamilton was miles closer to the apex then Max was.

It’s as if Hamilton is being punished (by Max not being punished) because he avoided the collision (sensible).

It’s truly bizarre.
The FIA's handling of this has been as pathetic as the move itself. Max will never be a multiple WC if he has to race fair.

RoadTrip

I think Hamilton knows that Max is willing to go dirty to win. He was so alert to what would happen there that he avoided the collision and then negates the ability to do it next time around.

Hamilton has, let’s be honest, had it easy the last few years in terms of competition. I feel like he probably lost that edge that you need when in a fight in the trenches. But I feel like some of the challenges this weekend really rekindled that edge and the results show that he is truly an exceptionally talented driver. Not just a good driver in a great car.

RoadTrip

The FIA's handling of this has been as pathetic as the move itself. Max will never be a multiple WC if he has to race fair.
Yeah, the handling has been hopeless. I really hope they look back at this. They didn’t give any leeway to Hamilton when his wing was 0.2mm outside the range due to a malfunction or damage, in one particular corner of the wing. But it seems clear to me they are turning the other way from the rules when it relates to Max.

Leg-End

The steering wheel angle says it all, he was lucky to avoid a penalty.
This, he barely attempts to make the corner and it’s plainly obvious from the onboard. Slam dunk penalty if the FIA were competent

Wicked_Badger

Yeah, that’s a penalty, going by other incidents punished this season. He only fully turned in once he knew he’d forced Hamilton wide.

It was obvious from the overhead shot and a slam dunk with the onboard video.

Brilliant race though. So glad this seems to be going right to the wire!

Pretty clear what he was up to.

He wanted to run to the very outside of the track and force Lewis to back off, but he outbraked himself and couldn't get the nose in.

Nothing wrong with trying that but get it wrong like he did and its 100% a penalty.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pretty clear what he was up to.

He wanted to run to the very outside of the track and force Lewis to back off, but he outbraked himself and couldn't get the nose in.

Nothing wrong with trying that but get it wrong like he did and its 100% a penalty.
hard to argue with that... unless your horner

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-we-learned-from-missing-verstappen-and-hamilton-footage/

The onboard shows that at the braking point, Verstappen’s front wheels were overlapping with Hamilton’s rear wheels at the moment Verstappen starts to apply steering lock.

The positioning at corner entry is relevant because the penalties issued to Lando Norris and Sergio Perez at the Austrian Grand Prix established the interpretation that if a car is “side by side” – with the implication being this means front wheel to front wheel – then the driver on the inside must give room.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Utter stinker by the stewards who are racing drivers? I just have a little bit of sim racing experience but you can see what Max is trying to do, so how these guys can't is stupidity.

Anyway nothing can be done now retrospectively. Masi has to go.

Norris

That was pretty blatant by Max. Should be penalized really. Did not really make any effort to turn until he knew it was too late.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Utter stinker by the stewards who are racing drivers? I just have a little bit of sim racing experience but you can see what Max is trying to do, so how these guys can't is stupidity.

Anyway nothing can be done now retrospectively
. Masi has to go.
is that the case - I thought Merc could ask for it to be reviewed based on new evidence (I assume the new onboard counts as that given its not artificially created afterwards like the evidence red bull submitted and was dismissed?)

Not sure they will do anything about it but i believe there is at least a route for merc to raise a complaint

elmo

Anyway nothing can be done now retrospectively. Masi has to go.
The stewards are the one that made the decisions, not Masi.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
is that the case - I thought Merc could ask for it to be reviewed based on new evidence (I assume the new onboard counts as that given its not artificially created afterwards like the evidence red bull submitted and was dismissed?)

Not sure they will do anything about it but i believe there is at least a route for merc to raise a complaint
It is new evidence youre right. But Lewis got the overtake done in the end so nothing doing now in my opinion. It was a simple "give the place back" or 5 sec penalty decision for me. A penalty that affects the next race is overstepping the mark.

The stewards are the one that made the decisions, not Masi.
Which is why I lambasted the stewards, the overhead showed enough evidence with the braking telemetry they would have had to atleast investigate. Masi is running the show though and the job is too big for him looking from the outside.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It is new evidence youre right. But Lewis got the overtake done in the end so nothing doing now in my opinion. It was a simple "give the place back" or 5 sec penalty decision for me. A penalty that affects the next race is overstepping the mark.

Which is why I lambasted the stewards, the overhead showed enough evidence with the braking telemetry they would have had to atleast investigate. Masi is running the show though and the job is too big for him looking from the outside.
I'm fully expecting something along these lines -
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ons-british-grand.4tB8ExYNrCExZN3QXSPMUP.html

I think it will probably go nowhere in the end - though if max drives like that again there will be a penalty straight away so hes going to have to be really careful how he defends (that said given the performance of the merc I dont know if hes gonn be close to lewis after the 1st corner in any of the remaining GP.

elmo

Right, it's his fault that he couldn't magically produce the footage and also his fault that the he informed the teams of the stewards decision which he literally can't decide on. :houllier:

He fecked up in other races, but blaming him for the last race is just plain ridiculous.

RUCK4444

That was pretty blatant by Max. Should be penalized really. Did not really make any effort to turn until he knew it was too late.
This. It’s has the same effect without having to physically steer towards the overtaking car.

The fact both drivers went off the track as a result, Max included, imo tells you what he was trying to do. You can brake late but he’s run off and took Lewis with him, blatant really.

The moment the entire car length of Lewis is about to pass he just leaves off the braking and pushes him wide.
What would have happened if Lewis got a puncture as a result, for example? It should definitely be a penalty of some kind imo.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The lack of defence for Max in this thread tells you all you need to know :lol: - Merc should send a link of this to the FIA. Max might end up disqualified for this coming weekend

Xeno

The devil's advocate position is to say that Hamilton wouldn't have made the corner regardless, and there's no way to prove that he would have in hindsight.

It's definitely a penalty though.