F1 2021 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I hope the Red Bull breaks down every race that Max is there. Never met a more self righteous hypocritical cnut of a duo than Horner and his ego.
Have to say that this would also make me smile.
Any respect for Max and his RB team has been completely eroded.
I just hope that this will energiese Lewis to win the last 3 races. To quote Kevin Keegan, I would luv it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Each and every team and their drivers should be entitled to do exactly as Max has done. And that spells danger and so the FIA really do have to stop sitting on their hands and take back control.
Yeah, there was a good post by @telstar96 on that on the previous page.
For me, since Max gained an advantage by going off track, the FIA should've asked him to hand over the position to Lewis. Since they decided to do nothing, it's tricky to come back and penalise Max retrospectively. How do you assess what is a fair penalty? A grid pen? Retrospective 5 seconds? Even, if you think Max deserves a penalty, the fact that the FIA didn't intervene has major repercussions.

After Lewis passed Max, the latter cruised to the finish, with his gap to Bottas going from 10 to 3 seconds. Obviously a penalty would impact the result, but then is it fair and in the spirit of the sport to penalise someone so late after the fact, especially when certain decisions were made (like Max cruising to the finish) based on the fact the FIA said there would be no action. Furthermore, now you have drivers like Leclerc, who've come out and said they would race differently, based on how the FIA judged the Brazilian GP. This is bad precedent the FIA have set, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see some outrageous driving towards the backend of the season.

Personally, I would rather the FIA move on from this situation with no penalty, but add more clarification to the sporting regulations. A lot of the decisions are at the discretion of stewards, which just allows for too many subjective takes. I'm convinced they allow for more leniency with drivers that are competing for the win, as opposed to those in the midfield. Tsunoda's penalty at the Brazilian GP is probably the best example of this.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

For me, since Max gained an advantage by going off track, the FIA should've asked him to hand over the position to Lewis. Since they decided to do nothing, it's tricky to come back and penalise Max retrospectively. How do you assess what is a fair penalty? A grid pen? Retrospective 5 seconds? Even, if you think Max deserves a penalty, the fact that the FIA didn't intervene has major repercussions.

After Lewis passed Max, the latter cruised to the finish, with his gap to Bottas going from 10 to 3 seconds. Obviously a penalty would impact the result, but then is it fair and in the spirit of the sport to penalise someone so late after the fact, especially when certain decisions were made (like Max cruising to the finish) based on the fact the FIA said there would be no action. Furthermore, now you have drivers like Leclerc, who've come out and said they would race differently, based on how the FIA judged the Brazilian GP. This is bad precedent the FIA have set, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see some outrageous driving towards the backend of the season.

Personally, I would rather the FIA move on from this situation with no penalty, but add more clarification to the sporting regulations. A lot of the decisions are at the discretion of stewards, which just allows for too many subjective takes. I'm convinced they allow for more leniency with drivers that are competing for the win, as opposed to those in the midfield. Tsunoda's penalty at the Brazilian GP is probably the best example of this.
Good post

RepardReece

Agree with the others, good post. I do however disagree with Max cruising. It's a race at the end of the day and if they did go back for a 5-second penalty it's his own damn fault for not racing. My perspective anyhow

F-Red

I think it's clear that the FIA don't tend to review sporting decisions from the race or on track. They only tend to have a review of decisions / uphold decisions of technical reasons more than sporting ones. I think they're creating a rod for their own back based on the original decision though in that we're seeing drivers now (Leclerc) making statements that they'll change their driving style if this is the precedence set in the decision making process by running drivers on the outside wide during overtakes. Either way the FIA don't come out of this smelling of roses.

I think we'll see a different race steward approach to this weekend though, everything will be done by the book when it comes to sporting decisions on track. The embarrassment of not having the footage to access to make the decisions won't be an excuse we see this weekend.

Qatar FP Timings

pauldyson1uk

Qatar GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:23.723
2) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.437
3) Valtteri BottasMercedes+0.471
4) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.786
5) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+0.925
6) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.990
7) Charles LeclercFerrari+1.067
8) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.192
9) Esteban OconAlpine+1.249
10) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.492
11) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.568
12) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.605
13) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+1.965
14) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+2.034
15) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+2.105
16) George RussellWilliams+2.148
17) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+2.182
18) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.976
19) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.989
20) Nikita MazepinHaas+3.777

Qatar GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Valtteri BottasMercedes1:23.148
2) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.209
3) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.350
4) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.422
5) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.484
6) Lance StrollAston Martin+0.557
7) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+0.587
8) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.639
9) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+0.872
10) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.885
11) Esteban OconAlpine+0.893
12) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.908
13) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.947
14) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+0.987
15) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.483
16) George RussellWilliams+1.806
17) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.924
18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.061
19) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.427
20) Nikita MazepinHaasNo time set

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where has this performance from Gasly come from lately?

Either the car has stepped up massively or he's riding some mega form. He's looked mega in the last 3/4 races.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Either the car has stepped up massively or he's riding some mega form. He's looked mega in the last 3/4 races.
He is and has always been an incredibly talented driver. That’s why he got his promotion into the RB seat when he did.

However unfortunately he didn’t appear to be able to handle the higher pressure that comes with being in a top team. Perhaps he didn’t receive a long enough chance. Perhaps that environment is genuinely not meant for him. But regardless when he is relaxed he’s really very good.

pauldyson1uk

what I find daft is that Horner really thinks the Merc wing is illegal, there is no way any team would drive with such a wing, with intention of cheating, there is far too much scrutiny.
I am not saying that Mercedes have not found a way to change things within the rules, maybe bending them, have RB not done the same in the past ?
But out and out cheating and that is what he is hinting at, then no I cant believe that.

Fluctuation0161

He is and has always been an incredibly talented driver. That’s why he got his promotion into the RB seat when he did.

However unfortunately he didn’t appear to be able to handle the higher pressure that comes with being in a top team. Perhaps he didn’t receive a long enough chance. Perhaps that environment is genuinely not meant for him. But regardless when he is relaxed he’s really very good.
I believe Horner is a terrible man manager unless you are his number one. Toxic environment for any young, up and coming driver.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
what I find daft is that Horner really thinks the Merc wing is illegal, there is no way any team would drive with such a wing, with intention of cheating, there is far too much scrutiny.
I am not saying that Mercedes have not found a way to change things within the rules, maybe bending them, have RB not done the same in the past ?
But out and out cheating and that is what he is hinting at, then no I cant believe that.
Mate I’ve long gotten past the stage of listening to anything he says. I pay no attention to him and my life is better for it.

pauldyson1uk

He has always been a good driver, maybe his time at Red Bull came a tad to soon.
Maybe Horner was part of the problem, maybe it was Max, but since leaving RB I think he has improved.

dinostar77

A bit late to the conversation but it was disappointing that max didnt even get a warning for turn 4 last weekend after the stewards reviewed the new footage but it is what it is.

Leclerc said max's defending last weekend will be brought up in the drivers briefing with michael masi this weekend before the gp especially in regards to moves around the outside and being given the correct amount of space as per the rules.

Not seen any of FP1 or FP2, reading the comments on here about horner makes me think he is panicking.

Balljy

It will be difficult for the FIA to punish a driver blocking anyone on the outside for the rest of the season now.

This may go against Red Bull if the Mercedes engine / drag advantage is enough to overtake in DRS zones. The car in front can do what they want to cover the outside while taking the inside line, so the only way to overtake is get in front on the straights.

It will be difficult for the FIA to punish a driver blocking anyone on the outside for the rest of the season now.

This may go against Red Bull if the Mercedes engine / drag advantage is enough to overtake in DRS zones. The car in front can do what they want to cover the outside while taking the inside line, so the only way to overtake is get in front on the straights.
Don't be so sure. Max has consistently gotten away with things other drivers have been punished for.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

His red bull car was a dog iirc

Abizzz

To be honest does anyone really expect them not to punish the next person who does exactly what Max does?

It's not Max's action that was legal, it was Max who's nonpunishable for TV ratings.

dinostar77

To be honest does anyone really expect them not to punish the next person who does exactly what Max does?

It's not Max's action that was legal, it was Max who's nonpunishable for TV ratings.
There's probably a desire for max to become the champion from within the FIA. Hes young, will probably attract a new audience etc etc.

Theres also probably a desire from somewhere in FIA not to have lewis win more WDC that schmacher.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Agree with the others, good post. I do however disagree with Max cruising. It's a race at the end of the day and if they did go back for a 5-second penalty it's his own damn fault for not racing. My perspective anyhow
They've to manage that engine to last for the last 3 race. Too much of a gamble to risk changing to a new one and getting hit with a grid penalty unless they know they'll be so dominant in a track like how Mercedes was at Sau Paolo.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

It has nothing to do with TV ratings, it's been clear for a few years now that Max is being treated with a separate rulebook from the rest.

F1 needs a new champion and they've seemingly decided that Max is their golden boy.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
There's probably a desire for max to become the champion from within the FIA. Hes young, will probably attract a new audience etc etc.

Theres also probably a desire from somewhere in FIA not to have lewis win more WDC that schmacher.
Verstappen makes me not want to watch F1 at all.

Lewis isn't much better either. 2 of the biggest cry baby drama queens ever.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It is strange given the intense scrutiny the whole issue has had with everyone from the global media to armchair fans searching every frame from every camera angle available.
The FIA spent enough time examining the thing last week too. If Mercedes are pushing any technical boundaries, which teams obviously do, there's clearly no obvious transgression, like Horner is implying. It must be very subtle.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think Horner being suspicious is fine and even Toto said that part of the job is to make sure the opponents don’t get unfair advantage but I feel the way he is going about it is so annoying . If you have doubts then just come out and complain so that they can be cleared. This constant badgering is a very poor look for the sport and undermines everyone associated with the FIA

mitChley

With the Mercedes speed in FP 2 & 3 here, and Brazil, and looking at the final few circuits, I could easily see Lewis overtaking Max in the championship. Even if Hamilton doesn't qualify on pole it seems more likely it would be Bottas, who would move over for him.

Last edited:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
With the Mercedes speed in FP 2 & 3 here, and Brazil, and looking at the final few circuits, I could easily see Lewis overtaking Max in the championship. Even if Hamilton doesn't qualify one pole it seems more likely it would be Bottas, who would move over for him.
Well, not so sure about that.