F1 2021 Season

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A red flag wasn’t an option in the circumstances of this incident. Given the time it took to clear the track, the only options were finishing under the safety car or having a last lap race without the lapped cars between Max and Lewis being conveniently cleared out of Max’s way. You can be happy Max won (or Lewis didn’t if that’s your angle) but just accept that outcome only occurred because of a clear break of the rules by Masi.
Wasting Ur (M)time

One thing that's become clear is how maturely everybody from the two teams has handled themselves in the aftermath. Lewis, Max, both sets of parents, Toto Wolff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
One thing that's become clear is how maturely everybody from the two teams has handled themselves in the aftermath. Lewis, Max, both sets of parents, Toto Wolff.
Meh. They all knew it was in the interest of the sport to handle it maturely. Damage management.

slyadams

Interesting take on Missed Apex's review of the season regarding the appeal and the FIA. The latest statement from the FIA included the line:
An argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship
This is my big issue with Mercedes dropping the appeal: the tone of Masi's radio comms at the end of the race ("its called a motor race Toto") coupled with the FIA stating its the argument that tarnished the championship and not their own actions. They're going to sweep this under the rug and taking them to court was the only realistic way to hold them to account.

Fantasy League 2021 Final Standings

pauldyson1uk

The Fantasy League has finally been updated.
An the winner for 2021 is Toyoda Well done
Also finished 17th overall, again Well Done

Pretty poor year for me , just 8th

I will be running it again next season, hopefully more will enter.

1st
venkman​
2223.5​
X
2nd
chaddyp​
2194.0​
X
3rd
senorgregster​
2122.5​
X
4th
impulse​
2091.5​
X
5th
manoucha​
2087.0​
X
6th
mtf​
2085.5​
X
7th
emm​
EMM
2002.5​
X
8th
pauldyson1uk​
1937.5​
X
9th
vangagal​
1927.5​
X
10th
coleworld​
1921.5​
X
11th
christy87​
1895.5​
X
12th
leg-end7​
1866.5​
X
13th
tiber​
1841.5​
X
14th
jtw95​
1829.5​
X
15th
dargonk​
1763.5​
X
16th
f-red​
1659.0​
X
17th
20solskjaer​
1582.0​
X
18th
dpansheth​
Rock
1485.5​
X

Fluctuation0161

Interesting take on Missed Apex's review of the season regarding the appeal and the FIA. The latest statement from the FIA included the line:

This is my big issue with Mercedes dropping the appeal: the tone of Masi's radio comms at the end of the race ("its called a motor race Toto") coupled with the FIA stating its the argument that tarnished the championship and not their own actions. They're going to sweep this under the rug and taking them to court was the only realistic way to hold them to account.
Yep. It stinks.

It's not motor racing. It's a fix.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
The Fantasy League has finally been updated.
An the winner for 2021 is Toyoda Well done
Also finished 17th overall, again Well Done

Pretty poor year for me , just 8th

I will be running it again next season, hopefully more will enter.

1st
venkman​
2223.5​
X
2nd
chaddyp​
2194.0​
X
3rd
senorgregster​
2122.5​
X
4th
impulse​
2091.5​
X
5th
manoucha​
2087.0​
X
6th
mtf​
2085.5​
X
7th
emm​
EMM
2002.5​
X
8th
pauldyson1uk​
1937.5​
X
9th
vangagal​
1927.5​
X
10th
coleworld​
1921.5​
X
11th
christy87​
1895.5​
X
12th
leg-end7​
1866.5​
X
13th
tiber​
1841.5​
X
14th
jtw95​
1829.5​
X
15th
dargonk​
1763.5​
X
16th
f-red​
1659.0​
X
17th
20solskjaer​
1582.0​
X
18th
dpansheth​
Rock
1485.5​
X

Thanks for running this! Congrats Venkman.

pauldyson1uk

Spa-Francorchamps' planned €80 million facelift is now in full swing, with new pictures released by the Belgian circuit showing the extent of the facility's transformation.

Spa's plan to apply for an FIM Grade C licence to welcome motorcycle racing back to its track has compelled the venue to undertake a series of extensive modifications to the run-off areas of several corners where gravel traps will be installed.

But the renovation project also includes include a significant upgrade of the track's infrastructure, with new spectator facilities being gradually added in the future.

The remodeled series of grandstands and VIP areas will increase the track's seating capacity by 13,000 seats, or double the venue's current permanent seating capacity.

https://f1i.com/news/429503-spa-fra...NThVuD1dcN2pMHgA1PIaEIiYRhK4msyAAfuEwjwYXn_wE

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Spa-Francorchamps' planned €80 million facelift is now in full swing, with new pictures released by the Belgian circuit showing the extent of the facility's transformation.

Spa's plan to apply for an FIM Grade C licence to welcome motorcycle racing back to its track has compelled the venue to undertake a series of extensive modifications to the run-off areas of several corners where gravel traps will be installed.

But the renovation project also includes include a significant upgrade of the track's infrastructure, with new spectator facilities being gradually added in the future.

The remodeled series of grandstands and VIP areas will increase the track's seating capacity by 13,000 seats, or double the venue's current permanent seating capacity.

https://f1i.com/news/429503-spa-fra...NThVuD1dcN2pMHgA1PIaEIiYRhK4msyAAfuEwjwYXn_wE
Lets hope they will actually get to race on it next season.

Abizzz

Good stuff. A bit infuriating that drainage isn't top of the list after this years shit show though.

pauldyson1uk

Sir Jackie Stewart has rejected the idea that F1's controversial finale in Abu Dhabi was fabricated to thrill the fans, insisting the event's outcome was "clean" and wasn't a Hollywood scripted moment.

FIA race director Michael Masi's decision to bypass F1's usual safety car and restart procedure to provide fans with one final lap of racing led to a dramatic last gasp showdown between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen, with the Dutchman taking advantage of his fresher tyres to overhaul the Mercedes driver and conquer his maiden world title.

https://f1i.com/news/429715-stewart...Rq6pxVAVTZ0Md837jVC5W0xtUINhAYaqs_3BOax3aV7CI

hobbers

The next petition will be to strip Jackie of his knighthood for that blasphemy.

The Hilton

Those quotes are full on gaslighting, even trying to tell fans how they actually felt about it.

He's always come across as a bit of a prat, safety work aside. He got all high and mighty with Senna and Schumacher too back in the day.

Jerch

Interesting theory why Mercedes didn't pitted Lewis. Basically saying Mercedes was protecting constructor championship and didn't pitted him because of that. Which in hindsight costed him the championship and that Lewis could be angry at Mercedes for that.

Fluctuation0161

Interesting theory why Mercedes didn't pitted Lewis. Basically saying Mercedes was protecting constructor championship and didn't pitted him because of that. Which in hindsight costed him the championship and that Lewis could be angry at Mercedes for that.
Strange and obscure narrative considering the whole championship was effectively stolen from Mercedes by Masi in the final laps. But whatever floats your boat.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
'Justice served' as bookie shells out for Hamilton title win

Despite Lewis Hamilton losing out in the 2021 F1 World Drivers' Championship battle, prominent bookmakers Paddy Power have opted to pay out for punters who bet on the seven-time World Champion adding to his tally at the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Paddy Power elected to shell out for both drivers as they branded the season finale a "sporting injustice".
"Max Verstappen needed a miracle to win, and one duly arrived in the form of a dodgy decision from the race organisers who appeared to rip up the rulebook and go rogue for the final lap of the race," read a statement on their website.
"We have decided to pay out on both Max Verstappen AND Lewis Hamilton to win the World Drivers' Championship.

"Consider justice served"

Fluctuation0161

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...hamilton-fia-president-f1-title-b1986286.html

"Personally, I’m convinced that everything will work out,” Ben Sulayem added. “You can’t think about the past. There are many things to think about. We are the ones who embody the future"

This quote typifies the fact that the FIA don't want learn from past mistakes, just move on to another profitable year with no sporting integrity.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It’s Paddy Power, they do shit like this all the time, they’ve looked at the numbers and decided it’s worth the advertising.
I know they've done it a fair few times and it's good marketing, but it's something they still didn't need to. Imagine having your losing bet get paid as a winner. It's good for the punters who had Hamilton on.

Don't really understand why people feel the need to view everything as negative.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I know they've done it a fair few times and it's good marketing, but it's something they still didn't need to. Imagine having your losing bet get paid as a winner. It's good for the punters who had Hamilton on.

Don't really understand why people feel the need to view everything as negative.
It’s nothing to do with being negative. It’s a question of cost vs benefit.

The odds meant not many people were placing that bet so it’s not cost them much to generate some headlines and get people thinking they’re some “good guy bookie” who might pay out even when you lose and given them credit. Exactly like you’re doing.

It’s not cynical to say they’ve only done it because it’s in their favour, it’s just obvious and realistic.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It’s nothing to do with being negative. It’s a question of cost vs benefit.

The odds meant not many people were placing that bet so it’s not cost them much to generate some headlines and get people thinking they’re some “good guy bookie” who might pay out even when you lose and given them credit. Exactly like you’re doing.

It’s not cynical to say they’ve only done it because it’s in their favour, it’s just obvious and realistic.
I wasn't speaking about your post, more the initial poster mentioning it as if it was a bad thing.

I fully understand yours, even I was like "they've only done it for publicity" but I also understood some people won money for a losing bet so couldn't care.

It's probably got them less publicity than their general adverts anyway. Not sure where I even seen the story initially but it hasn't been everywhere.