F1 2022 Season

NM

Interesting that you both miss the most important part of the post about sporting integrity re: the clusterfeck from last season could be repeated.

Or is that not the reason for F1 either?
If you read the thread, you would see that I 100% disagree with the clusterfeck that the FIA caused last season. #FireMasi

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's just going to be swept under the carpet isn't it :(

hobbers

Sky Sports saying Hamilton's future is still unclear according to well placed sources.

Didn't expect that, I thought for sure Merc knew he was planning to keep going but were just keeping a lid on it for now until he'd ended his sulk period.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
It'll be a bloody fecking disgrace if Hamilton doesn't race next year. After in ages, I'm looking forward to the next season of F1 and that too because of the two main protagonists as the principal draw instead of the rules and car changes. F1 would be a much poorer place without Hamilton and Verstappen Part II and even though there are good talented drivers competing, without Hamilton, it'll be a shell of a season.

It would be fecking great to see two driven individuals going at it next season, although if I were Hamilton I see why he would want to retire. The man has nothing to prove to anyone.

mitChley

Hypothetical but if Hamilton weren't to race this year, who would everyone want to see in his seat?

vangagal

I would love Max in Merc if Lewis decided to retire just for shiteshow Horner and Marko produced. That duo would lose their eggs if Max decided to feck off.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
What if Rosberg came back for a season? I would imagine they try to get Norris or promote Ocon. Or more likely Toto would bring Bottas back. All that speculation aside Hamilton will be on the grid next year for sure.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What if Rosberg came back for a season? I would imagine they try to get Norris or promote Ocon. Or more likely Toto would bring Bottas back. All that speculation aside Hamilton will be on the grid next year for sure.
Google is pushing content from Sportrush.com or a similar named site which is generally pro-Hamilton/Mercedes and they were running with Rosberg returning for a season. Bottas is a non starter though, after the way they ended last year.

hobbers

Hypothetical but if Hamilton weren't to race this year, who would everyone want to see in his seat?
Gasly or Ocon. Or, personally, Alonso just to see if he can get a third world title at 40.

But Max going to Merc would be worth it just for all the backtracking in this thread.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Gasly or Ocon. Or, personally, Alonso just to see if he can get a third world title at 40.

But Max going to Merc would be worth it just for all the backtracking in this thread.
Nico Rosberg back for a season... though perhaps he would be waaay of the pace after so long out

Id like to see Lando given a go but I dont think its realistic merc have two inexperienced drivers in their line up?

Vettel might be available given Aston are also a customer team of merc?

Probably they just bring Bottas back though

hobbers

Nico Rosberg back for a season... though perhaps he would be waaay of the pace after so long out

Id like to see Lando given a go but I dont think its realistic merc have two inexperienced drivers in their line up?

Vettel might be available given Aston are also a customer team of merc?

Probably they just bring Bottas back though
Don't think Rosberg would want to go through all the training and back to that lifestyle. He's just not got the personality for it.

Lando would be good but I reckon Mercedes would think he's too similar to Russell, from an experience perspective and from a marketing point of view.

So realistically either they'd go for someone experienced like Vettel or bringing back Bottas, or they'd have no choice but to promote Ocon.

slyadams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59951382

Its been mentioned above, and I said the same in the 2021 thread, that if the FIA didn't have their feet held to the fire by the courts, they would bury this. This is the reason why I wanted Merc to continue with the protest. The FIA is one of the least accountable and transparent bodies out there.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can readily see why Hamilton is not confirming that he will race next season.
He is perfectly right to feel completely disillusioned in the FIA. He is putting them under pressure to conclude their investigation into the shambles that robbed him of an 8th WC.
And if the outcome is not satisfactory, then there is a real likelihood that he will walk away.
And if that happens, F1 will be the loser.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hamilton gonna try and hold the FIA to ransom so they let him win again.

They'll call his bluff and he'll still race anyway.
All he and Mercedes want is for the FIA to do what they said they were going to do.
What is wrong with that.

dinostar77

As a minimum Masi has to be fired. He broke the rules. FIA need to ensure that such a sporting travesty cant be allowed to happen again. It damages the integrity of the sport. I do hope Lewis comes back for a run at number 8 again.

Cant imagine how tough it must be for him, that if the rules were implemented correctly at the end of saftey car period he would have been 8 times world champion. Thats really gotta hurt.

IF lewis didn't come back, Mercedes would probably look for an experienced pair of hands. Getting Bottas back would be difficult, getting lando in would be impossible. Pretty sure Alonso would offer to drive for free to get into the Mercedes. He'd be the closest to hamilton for skill and experience and his ability challenge max every race.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I don’t get it with everyone saying, they should get Lando, first he’s a mclaren driver, unlike Russell who is a merc driver from the youth program, secondly mclaren aren’t Williams they actually have money.

vangagal

As a minimum Masi has to be fired. He broke the rules. FIA need to ensure that such a sporting travesty cant be allowed to happen again. It damages the integrity of the sport. I do hope Lewis comes back for a run at number 8 again.

Cant imagine how tough it must be for him, that if the rules were implemented correctly at the end of saftey car period he would have been 8 times world champion. Thats really gotta hurt.

IF lewis didn't come back, Mercedes would probably look for an experienced pair of hands. Getting Bottas back would be difficult, getting lando in would be impossible. Pretty sure Alonso would offer to drive for free to get into the Mercedes. He'd be the closest to hamilton for skill and experience and his ability challenge max every race.
Oh, i would love for another Alonso's WDC. His skill is still there despite his age.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Good post.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hamilton is going nowhere. He's purely posturing to make sure the FIA is pressured into never making the same mistake again.

No doubt Masi will end up being the fall guy as there's lots of pressure on him now anyway.

Abizzz

Hamilton is going nowhere. He's purely posturing to make sure the FIA is pressured into never making the same mistake again.

No doubt Masi will end up being the fall guy as there's lots of pressure on him now anyway.
Can't be the fall guy when you're guilty. There's far more wrong with FIA. But firing him should have been the first thing to correct their ways. Let him officiate "Car racing".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't be the fall guy when you're guilty. There's far more wrong with FIA. But firing him should have been the first thing to correct their ways. Let him officiate "Car racing".
He definitely deserves the sack. Whether he had the final call on it though? personally I think he's just a puppet for the execs. No doubt in my mind they decided for a showpiece finish, rather than follow the rules like they looked like doing at the start.

I think they'll end up changing the rulebook to appease everybody and demote Masi into the broom cupboard.

Hephaestus

When his name came up a few years back, Wolff made it clear he wouldn't be considered due to his "history with Mercedes" - so doubt they'd consider him now even if he was eager.