F1 2022 Season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sainz to get his first win. He's class around Monaco and this Ferrari seems excellent with lots of downforce on.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hamilton and Russell both 18/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/motorsport/formula-1

Thats not bad odds... merc has been good at slow speeds all season

I've put a bit on both drivers as the odds are pretty good

Have a hunch for Russel as he's been great in quali and it's so hard to overtake
It will be really interesting to see who out of Russell and Hamilton win the first GP of this season for Mercedes, assuming of course the car is capable of winning.
My guess is Russell.

slyadams

Andrew Shovlin said in an interview with Sky that before Spain they were in the dark, but with the upgrade at Spain it was like "the light had been switched on" and that development paths had now been opened up. This sounds very promising for them, I reckon by Silverstone we'll see them up near the front.

pauldyson1uk

Monaco is not a good hunting ground for Mercedes but I really think Mercedes could have a chance this weekend.
Once Lewis has a car he is happy with and trusts, his times and he will be will improve and he will be ahead of Russell.

Mike Smalling

Sainz to get his first win. He's class around Monaco and this Ferrari seems excellent with lots of downforce on.
He is also cursed this season, though.

It would make for a great Drive to Survive episode given his start to the season.

Adam-Utd

He is also cursed this season, though.

It would make for a great Drive to Survive episode given his start to the season.
All bad luck has to turn somewhere, but I agree he's more than likely going to get pole, lead the race for 90% then crash on the last few laps :lol:

The Firestarter

Monaco is not a good hunting ground for Mercedes but I really think Mercedes could have a chance this weekend.
Once Lewis has a car he is happy with and trusts, his times and he will be will improve and he will be ahead of Russell.
Why is he entitled to be ahead of Russel? This dismisses the possibility that Russel is actually the better driver, and I don't see how it can be said with certainty that he is not - this is the only time that they both have the same car and so far it's pretty clear who is better.

Adam-Utd

Why is he entitled to be ahead of Russel? This dismisses the possibility that Russel is actually the better driver, and I don't see how it can be said with certainty that he is not - this is the only time that they both have the same car and so far it's pretty clear who is better.
Nothing is pretty clear at all. They've both been driving a pogo stick.

The first race it actually worked properly and Hamilton caught him rapidly, and nearly ended up overtaking him from 30 seconds behind.

Now the car is sorted we will see. I'm a big fan of Russell and think he's a future champion, but it's definitely not early enough to say he's out performing Hamilton yet.

pauldyson1uk

I never said he was entitled , just my own opinions and I have never dismissed the ability of any driver.
I just don't get where you got dismissed and entitled from ?

dinostar77

On any other track i would agree, but Monaco has never been a strong track for lewis. Three wins in his career. Where as he has 8 wins at Hungary, Silverstone. 7 at Canada etc.

So out of the Mercedes pair i fancy russell this weekend.

hobbers

The first race it actually worked properly and Hamilton caught him rapidly, and nearly ended up overtaking him from 30 seconds behind.
Which only happened because George had to spend the entire race defending....

pauldyson1uk

On any other track i would agree, but Monaco has never been a strong track for lewis. Three wins in his career. Where as he has 8 wins at Hungary, Silverstone. 7 at Canada etc.

So out of the Mercedes pair i fancy russell this weekend.
Yeah there is that and if Russell gets in front, he will be hard to pass, Monaco is a horrible place for Lewis.
Russell could very well get his first race win this weekend, Red Bull and Ferrari have had reliability problems in the last few race, all it would take is more this weekend.

dinostar77

Monaco team upgrades.

Pretty much every team making changes to front cooling (not mclaren or ferrari). Also some teams changing the suspension for Monaco specifically.

Interesting that ferrari made zero changes to the car. Which makes me wonder, is it really THAT good that unlike RB and Mercedes they dont have to change anything?

Adam-Utd

Which only happened because George had to spend the entire race defending....
Hamilton had to fight his way through the pack, you can swing it both ways.

He was clearly the faster in Barcelona. As I said, far too early to call it definitive.

hobbers

Hamilton had to fight his way through the pack, you can swing it both ways.

He was clearly the faster in Barcelona. As I said, far too early to call it definitive.
It doesn't swing both ways. Lewis wasn't losing time breezing past much slower cars in the middle of the race, none of whom defended vs him because they knew it was futile. But George will have easily lost 15-20 seconds or more on his optimal just from defending Max for all those laps.

Adam-Utd

It doesn't swing both ways. Lewis wasn't losing time breezing past much slower cars in the middle of the race, none of whom defended vs him because they knew it was futile. But George will have easily lost 15-20 seconds or more on his optimal just from defending Max for all those laps.
Hamilton lost time stuck behind slower cars every lap, only able to overtake under DRS.

How many laps was Russell defending for? 10-15 at most. He was in clear air for ages once Vestappen pitted and Perez got passed him.

The Firestarter

I never said he was entitled , just my own opinions and I have never dismissed the ability of any driver.
I just don't get where you got dismissed and entitled from ?
Of course you didn't say it, but the bellow for sure sounds like it is a no question who is the better driver, only a matter of Lewis being comfortable with the car.

pauldyson1uk

Of course you didn't say it, but the bellow for sure sounds like it is a no question who is the better driver, only a matter of Lewis being comfortable with the car.
Fair point, I do think Lewis is the better driver, in ability and experience.
Russell is a future WC , in ability Russell is there Lewis has the experience that just gives him the edge, but I can't take anything away from Russel, do far this season he is better.

Ahmer Baig

Lobato on the Alpine-Alonso relationship in the SoyMotor direct:

"The feeling that I have gotten from these days in Barcelona that the Alpine-Fernando relationship has cooled down and if you listen to the demonstrations of one and the other you realize that the end is near"

dinostar77

Oh dear danny ric. He needs a strong weekend and not get beaten by an under the weather again lando norris.

hobbers

Interesting they think Leclerc has gone back to his first engine rather than a new one. Predictable I guess.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hamilton slower on the softs than Leclerc on the hards.
One step forward and at least one back. So far, they are nowhere. Both Ferrari and Red Bull look much more nimble.
The Mercedes looks like a Slug On Heat.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
There was no reason to let them fight with a dodgy DRS and pushing engines in the heat. Perez still had pace at that point. On tyres I maintain he could've stayed out but they went for the fastest lap and took maximum points.

In his 3rd stint Perez did 16 laps on the yellow tyre C2. He then pit for the softer red tyre C3 and did 13 laps. That 3rd stint would've been 16 + 13 = 29 laps.

Hamilton stint 3 on the C2 tyre did 26 laps whilst rampaging through the field. Bottas completed 32 laps on C2.

3 laps longer than Hamilton when he'd managed his tyres and was coasting at end on lower fuel levels. Russell was 30 seconds behind after pitting with 10 laps to go and had overheating issues.
There would have been no fighting, his tyres would have been so much older Max would have passed him without an issue at all with or without DRS. It sounded like they gave him the fastest lap as an apology for making him look like a twat in front of everyone.

But we'll see what happens at Monaco. Undoubtably they'll ask him to do it again at a track that's almost impossible to pass organically.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interesting info about danny ric (who may lose his seat at mclaren next season).

""...While it would be dangerous to try to simplify Ricciardo’s 2021 cause to a single issue, it did often come back to how he attacks a braking zone and tries to rotate the car.

Despite being famously adept at late-braking passes, Ricciardo’s preferred style in normal conditions is to brake slightly earlier, with less pressure, and roll the speed into the corner.

That requires a positive front end to get the car rotated. At medium and low speed, the McLaren was ill-suited to this technique.

Team-mate Lando Norris was much more effective with a later, harder brake that facilitated a sharper rotation and allowed him to get on the power again quicker.

Ricciardo could not quite drill that technique into himself, even though he got better at it through the season...."
Which makes me wonder: do teams consider driving style when contracting drivers? Like in this case: McLaren would have known what their car was like, and probably could have known Ricciardo's driving style. Put those two together, and the issue is clear. Is that something they consider ("it'll be a slow start for him in the car, but we are confident that he'll manage to adapt"), or do they look higher level ("great talent, proven winner, very markettable, let's get him") ?

The latter would be a bit like a team getting Ronaldo because, you know, "fecking hell, Ronaldo!" - even if he's not a fit for the team's playstyle at all.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Which makes me wonder: do teams consider driving style when contacting drivers? Like in this case: McLaren would have known what their car was like, and probably could have known Ricciardo's driving style. Put those two together, and the issue is clear. Is that something they consider ("it'll be a slow start for him in the car, but we are confident that he'll manage to adapt"), or do they look higher level ("great talent, proven winner, very markettable, let's get him") ?

The latter would be a bit like a team getting Ronaldo because, you know, "fecking hell, Ronaldo!" - even if he's not a fit for the team's playstyle at all.
Its a very good question. My guess would be the latter.

dinostar77

Apparently the porposing Mercedes are experiencing is different to the porposing they have experienced this season. The stiffness of the car (which fixed the porposing in spain) has created a new issue at Monaco's poor surface.

Its worse on low fuel runs and they are struggling to come up with a fix.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its a very good question. My guess would be the latter.
It sounds a bit like it with the Ricciardo situation. I mean, even if you would expect him to adapt, you'd also have to accept the significant risk that, given how long he's been using his existing style, it will take a long time for his adaptation and might never work perfectly.

But then F1 is the ultimate data sport, and it's hard to believe that they wouldn't crunch the heck out of driver vs car potential.