F1 2022 Season

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The way they changed the light sequence to catch the teams is great :lol:
The funny thing is they didn’t actually penalise them, they just aborted the start as the first 5 had jumped, Irvine was 7th imagine if they had given all of them a 10 second stop and go, he could of been world champion that year

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I havent said anything complicated so I'm not sure what's confusing you.

The same team winning every championship for 7 years in a row does far more to undermine the sport's competitiveness and integrity than one rushed dodgy call made with the right intentions.
That's a mental take, but coming from you it's expected.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

The same team winning every championship for 7 years in a row does far more to undermine the sport's competitiveness and integrity than one rushed dodgy call made with the right intentions.
The right intentions? Being what? Altering the outcome to get the champion you want instead of the champion fair competition was destined to produce? F1, as a sport, has become a laughing stock after that last race. It was a WWE event producing a paper champion. We’d all like to see the other teams be more competitive and have more drama, and the season produced plenty without essentially falsifying the result at the end of it. All that did was make a mockery of what had been one of the best F1 seasons ever. People won’t remember it for the incredible drama and back and forth between two great drivers, they’ll remember it for (a) being a fan of the driver that was clearly robbed (b) being a fan of the driver that was gifted a championship, or (c) being a fan of the sport and having their belief in its integrity ruined by avoidable controversy.

It was a shambles, much like your hot take.

hobbers

The right intentions? Being what? Altering the outcome to get the champion you want instead of the champion fair competition was destined to produce? F1, as a sport, has become a laughing stock after that last race. It was a WWE event producing a paper champion. We’d all like to see the other teams be more competitive and have more drama, and the season produced plenty without essentially falsifying the result at the end of it. All that did was make a mockery of what had been one of the best F1 seasons ever. People won’t remember it for the incredible drama and back and forth between two great drivers, they’ll remember it for (a) being a fan of the driver that was clearly robbed (b) being a fan of the driver that was gifted a championship, or (c) being a fan of the sport and having their belief in its integrity ruined by avoidable controversy.

Any sane person recognises that Masi made a poor decision in the moment, but made it for the right reasons - i.e. to not finish the championship under a safety car. Nobody with any respect on the matter has questioned his motives for it in a sinister way. It's a ubiquitous take that's been echoed by every pundit, every journalist and every driver asked about it.

Yeah there's a lot of salty fanboys around who might never get over it, especially if Hamilton goes and retires in a huff now, or falls off the radar next season, but the rest of the world don't care.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

100%

slyadams

Any sane person recognises that Masi made a poor decision in the moment, but made it for the right reasons - i.e. to not finish the championship under a safety car. Nobody with any respect on the matter has questioned his motives for it in a sinister way. It's a ubiquitous take that's been echoed by every pundit, every journalist and every driver asked about it.

Yeah there's a lot of salty fanboys around who might never get over it, especially if Hamilton goes and retires in a huff now, or falls off the radar next season, but the rest of the world don't care.
Making a poor decision for the “right reasons” (btw, your interpretation of a right reason, most F1 fans recognise sometimes races finish behind the SC, it’s as much part of the sport as a dull 0-0 draw is and we don’t allow referees to award phantom penalties to spice things up) is another terrible take.

Fluctuation0161

Shambles of a post.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If any of you guys genuinely think what happened was down to Masi and the FIA purposefully choosing Max as the champion you need to refit your tin foil hats.

Fluctuation0161

If any of you guys genuinely think what happened was down to Masi and the FIA purposefully choosing Max as the champion you need to refit your tin foil hats.
Whether you think it was purposeful or not doesn't matter.

The decisions made by Masi were against protocol, against the normal rules and did effectively make Max champion. If anyone doesn't see that then they need to refit their glasses. :lol:

slyadams

Very few people have said this. Many do, however, think it was manipulated to make it exciting, which is no less egregious.

NK86

I just want one season of utter Mercedes dominance just to fix the travesty of last season. Then I'm all for really close racing after that.
Seeing all these posts just makes me hope Lewis and Merc are only in the middle of the pack next season. Would be really funny seeing this thread explode. I don't care who wins as long as it's not another procession that we saw for the last 7 years before the one which just ended.

hobbers

Seeing all these posts just makes me hope Lewis and Merc are only in the middle of the pack next season. Would be really funny seeing this thread explode. I don't care who wins as long as it's not another procession that we saw for the last 7 years before the one which just ended.
Not sure it would explode. The Mercedes fanboys would just slink away. They have no genuine interest in F1, just their guys winning.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Whether you think it was purposeful or not doesn't matter.

The decisions made by Masi were against protocol, against the normal rules and did effectively make Max champion. If anyone doesn't see that then they need to refit their glasses. :lol:
That wasn’t the point, I never said it was the right decision.

Very few people have said this. Many do, however, think it was manipulated to make it exciting, which is no less egregious.
There’s a post above that literally says he (Masi) did it to get the champion he wanted, followed by someone else agreeing. That’s all I was responding to.

hobbers

most F1 fans recognise sometimes races finish behind the SC, it’s as much part of the sport as a dull 0-0 draw is and we don’t allow referees to award phantom penalties to spice things up
Definitely, and real F1 fans also understand the inherent unfairness in a sport where you can build up a huge lead on your competitors and have it wiped out in an instant if a car crashes out, totally out of your control, and you end up only a few metres ahead of a field on fresher tyres.

Unfairness is built into F1. As is cheating. As is controversy. It's just this is only obvious when there's more than 1 driver and/or team capable of winning.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think @hobbers is so far off here. Masi obviously made a shit decision, but the reason was to achieve his idea of excitement, not to help Verstappen specifically. I would also assume that Hamilton being utterly dominant for years will have hurt the sport's viewership more than this year's incidents, or this last one specifically. And I'd additionally think that F1 will lose more viewers if next year is another 100% Hamilton year without weird incidents, than if it's another competitive year with more highly questionable calls from Masi.

Of course, a season that's competitive and incident-free would be preferable. But that's now what e.g. @dinostar77 was looking for above.

arnie_ni

Can someone explain this to me?

But Mercedes could have possibly made sure the Safety Car stayed on the track until the end of the race after it was called out with five laps left to go.

That would have meant the leading driver at the time, Hamilton, would have won the race and also the title.

Eccleston was asked by Swiss outlet Blick whether Mercedes could have "radioed to [Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri] Bottas to let the car coast because they want to preserve the engine."

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Can someone explain this to me?

But Mercedes could have possibly made sure the Safety Car stayed on the track until the end of the race after it was called out with five laps left to go.

That would have meant the leading driver at the time, Hamilton, would have won the race and also the title.

Eccleston was asked by Swiss outlet Blick whether Mercedes could have "radioed to [Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri] Bottas to let the car coast because they want to preserve the engine."
Presumably to ask Bottas to cause an incident or become a hazard on track which could include stopping in a certain place therefore keeping the safety car out as the track wouldn't be clear to race. I'm not sure they would've got away with it as it would've been inspected after the race surely. Still by the time Merc knew what was happening it was too late.

In 2008 the Renault team asked one of their drivers to cause a crash which would work in Alonso's favour who went on to win the race. They got found out in the end a year or so later - it was a big controversy.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Definitely, and real F1 fans also understand the inherent unfairness in a sport where you can build up a huge lead on your competitors and have it wiped out in an instant if a car crashes out, totally out of your control, and you end up only a few metres ahead of a field on fresher tyres.

Unfairness is built into F1. As is cheating. As is controversy. It's just this is only obvious when there's more than 1 driver and/or team capable of winning.
This is a great quote and easily summarises Motorsport:

“If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying”

The Firestarter

Needed some comedic relief after our tumescent display tonight. This somehow did it

F1 vs nascar

:lol: Imagine checking your nascar team inventory - fuel, tires, concrete cutter, 7 sledgehammers - yep, all in order.

pauldyson1uk

Williams Racing could see its coffers boosted by a hefty $36m following a favourable court decision in a commercial arbitration case involving the British outfit and its former title sponsor ROKiT.

A California court has awarded Williams the $35.7m payment from ROKiT as a result of the sponsor reneging on its deal with Williams in 2020.

Williams brought the telecommunications company founded by Jonathan Kendrick onboard ahead of the start of the 2019 season.

Mid-way through that year's campaign, the two partners agreed on an extension of their deal to the end of 2023.

But in May 2020, just a month before the start of F1's Covid-impacted season, Williams suddenly terminated its sponsorship deal with ROKiT.

https://f1i.com/news/429897-william...RhaSFjSQACBeLeVDBODKjRJ1ogYTdUa_hXTgNNMQbh2bM

GeorgieBoy

Stupid question alert.
Why don't McLaren make their own engines? Surely they have the money and engineering whizzes behind them?

Leg-End

Stupid question alert.
Why don't McLaren make their own engines? Surely they have the money and engineering whizzes behind them?
Money most likely, F1 engine development is a massive money sink, it’s not just engineering, it’s top level staffing, R&D, facilities, constant updates to be competitive. McLaren do operate as a business first and I think getting their road car division off the ground put a massive strain on finances for the long term. Red Bull won’t find it easy branching out on their own and that’s with pretty much a bottomless pit to work from.

I think the more McLaren build their road car business the more likely it is they will one day have their own engines (I believe they already do bespoke engines with partners). F1 is just a different beast though.

Abizzz

Reading through this thread makes me lose all interest in 2022 again. I thought a month would be enough, it wasn't. These new cars are the worst looking in a long time and no news on any changes to prevent the cluster feck of last season.

Feck this.

Fluctuation0161

Reading through this thread makes me lose all interest in 2022 again. I thought a month would be enough, it wasn't. These new cars are the worst looking in a long time and no news on any changes to prevent the cluster feck of last season.

Feck this.
Fair observations.

arnie_ni

Might follow it this year due to the exciting ending. When does it all kick off?

arnie_ni

Mid March I believe. 20th maybe.

But if you want more genuine competition you might want to watch WWE Royal Rumble on 30th January also. ;)
Used to love wrestling. Broke my heart when I found it wasn't real. Can't remember what age I was.

Fluctuation0161

Interesting that you both miss the most important part of the post about sporting integrity re: the clusterfeck from last season could be repeated.

Or is that not the reason for F1 either?

Abizzz

And that pretty much sums up modern f1 fans…
The looks are dictated by the formula. If you think these looks are the result of engineering and the best solutions think again. Technically I don't even see how these cars are superior to Prost's or Mansell's wc cars. They had more tricks. These look more like some junior series for indycars in my opinion.

F-Red

And that pretty much sums up modern f1 fans…
This you?

Thats the thing.

Even when Schumacher and CO wiped the floor with everyone, it was still entertaining. Tracks and the cars actually looked like they took skill to drive fast. Now it seems like the only action we get is when some one cocks up in the braking zone or weaves un-sportingly. The cars sound like shit, they look like shit, its the Mercedes show and there just isn't that same level of buzz. Great tracks with tremendous atmosphere where fans were far closer to the action, have given way to large stadiums where oil money has more power than the people that support the show.

Problem is, once this goes to sky, do you really think they will keep pumping the money when nobody is watching it? Its like a government selling off all its assets to raise capital. At somepoint you run out of assets (fans) and you're left with nothing to sell.