F1 2022 Season

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So, just had a brain wave. It seems so basic but I must be missing something. Instead of allowing lapped cars to overtake and go round, can’t they just simulate that by asking them to fall back down the queue instead? Would this not just make everything so much more simpler?

lilcurt

Does anyone have any bold predictions for the 2022 season?

Mine are that:
  1. Russell will shock people how good he is in comparison to Lewis and will run him close on points.
  2. Latifi will beat Albon on points.
  3. Ricciardo will beat Norris on points.
  4. Alonso will be a title contender (this is just wishful thinking).
Don't think this is bold but I think Lewis will dominate next season and we'll see Merc 1 2 in the drivers championship.

hobbers

So, just had a brain wave. It seems so basic but I must be missing something. Instead of allowing lapped cars to overtake and go round, can’t they just simulate that by asking them to fall back down the queue instead? Would this not just make everything so much more simpler?
Well the problem here is the cars doing less laps and possible fuel issues.

But then Hamilton got to unlap himself in Imola without driving an inch, under red flags they have no problem with cars unlapping without actually unlapping.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Any good beginners guides which explains all I need to know? I’ve genuinely enjoyed all the races I’ve seen this season (probably around 12/13 out of the 21), would just like to educate myself more on the sport so I can understand more of what’s happening.
If you're curious about some of the more technical aspects explained in digestible ways, I would definitely recommend Chainbear on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/chainbearf1/videos

Many of his older videos fall into the category of beginners' guides - for instance:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Well the problem here is the cars doing less laps and possible fuel issues.

But then Hamilton got to unlap himself in Imola without driving an inch, under red flags they have no problem with cars unlapping without actually unlapping.
I did think of the fuel thing, but that’s just to their disadvantage? Heavier fuel means slower cars. Not like you can change up fuel injection mid race anymore.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Something else for a change: how come all the youngest title winning drivers are from this century? I read that the top 4 is now this:
  1. Vettel 2010: 23y, 4m, 11d
  2. Hamilton 2008: 23y, 9m, 26d
  3. Alonso 2005: 24y, 1m, 27d
  4. Verstappen 2021: 24y, 2m, 12d
Is there a reason why F1 drivers have been winning their first titles earlier than ever before? Are drivers getting into F1 earlier now?
I don't know if this got lost or is just considered very uninteresting - but I would still be curious to know why it may be that the four youngest champions ever are all from this century, if anyone has any ideas. :)

vangagal

I don't know if this got lost or is just considered very uninteresting - but I would still be curious to know why it may be that the four youngest champions ever are all from this century, if anyone has any ideas. :)
I think because Lewis/Vettel era they came to F1 at very young age compare to 90s.
Prost began his F1 career at 25 yo, Senna at 24, Schumi at 22, Mika at 23, if they come at this decade, they would be consider late if not old.
Even Max was fast tracked at the age 17/18.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really hoping for a proper shake up of the order. I'm hoping McLaren can push for that top team spot, as Ric and Norris are a great combination. Then any of the others except for Red Bull, as the last few months have really put me off them as a team. Ideally we have new teams starting off the strongest, and Mercedes playing catch up as the season progresses.

Best case we have 3-4 teams who are all in with a shot to really make it interesting. Though odds are we get a one team show again

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
max has dominated for too long in what i’m led to believe is a far inferior car. what can be done to stop him running away with the next 30 championships?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
max has dominated for too long in what i’m led to believe is a far inferior car. what can be done to stop him running away with the next 30 championships?
Nothing to worry about mate, just like this season, if Mercedes can't win it fairly they will just put in a rocket engine like they did in Brazil and create 10% more raw straight line speed than any other car out there on the grid. They won the contstructor's championship anyway, so that's another 30+ million budget advantage for another year. After which people like you can come in here and gloat about how it's all down to Lewis' pure individual racing skill :wenger:

Lentwood

I wondered if someone on this thread could help me...

I am planning to book a couple of tickets to a Grand Prix next year for me and my fiance as a Christmas surprise (she loves the F1)

We have watched all of the races on TV together for years but have never actually been. I wondered if anybody could recommend a good race day experience?

I would rule out Silverstone, as I'd like a little mini-break outside the UK. I would also, if possible, like recommendations for European races, since getting further afield will be tricky next year as we are due to get married in June in Italy and getting Annual Leave to go to Asia/Australasia or the Americas will be tricky!

Any advice would be much appreciated! I'd also appreciate advice on what tickets it's worth booking? Like if someone has experience of actually going and has had a particularly good/bad experience?

Thanks in advance, appreciate this might not exactly be what this thread is for but hoping you all might be racegoers!

diarm

I am planning to book a couple of tickets to a Grand Prix next year for me and my fiance as a Christmas surprise (she loves the F1)

We have watched all of the races on TV together for years but have never actually been. I wondered if anybody could recommend a good race day experience?

I would rule out Silverstone, as I'd like a little mini-break outside the UK. I would also, if possible, like recommendations for European races, since getting further afield will be tricky next year as we are due to get married in June in Italy and getting Annual Leave to go to Asia/Australasia or the Americas will be tricky!

Any advice would be much appreciated! I'd also appreciate advice on what tickets it's worth booking? Like if someone has experience of actually going and has had a particularly good/bad experience?

Thanks in advance, appreciate this might not exactly be what this thread is for but hoping you all might be racegoers!
I haven't been myself, but by all accounts Monza is an incredible weekend.

The only one I've done was Singapore, which was brilliant but as you say, a bit far afield for you guys this year!

STaphouse

Supports
Reading

Hungary is a good one. The ticket prices are usually pretty cheap compared to other races and it's only about 10 miles outside of Budapest. I've never actually been to this one but its nearly always the one that gets recommended to me, I've only ever been to Silverstone.

I can't speak for Hungary but with Silverstone, everything there is really expensive. I'd recommend taking your own food etc. Grandstand tickets are, on the whole, a waste of money in my opinion. At Silverstone you can get tickets that allow you to walk around the edge and pick different spots (this is great for practice sessions). I'm assuming you can get this at other tracks but, again, I've never been to one other than Silverstone.

pauldyson1uk

Hungary is a good one. The ticket prices are usually pretty cheap compared to other races and it's only about 10 miles outside of Budapest. I've never actually been to this one but its nearly always the one that gets recommended to me, I've only ever been to Silverstone.

I can't speak for Hungary but with Silverstone, everything there is really expensive. I'd recommend taking your own food etc. Grandstand tickets are, on the whole, a waste of money in my opinion. At Silverstone you can get tickets that allow you to walk around the edge and pick different spots (this is great for practice sessions). I'm assuming you can get this at other tracks but, again, I've never been to one other than Silverstone.
I priced up the weekend 3 years go and the cost was mental, fpr me and my 2 sons, it worked out with race tickets , parking, food, drink and hotel it was the thick end of 3 grand !!!!
No way could I justify paying that amount.

pauldyson1uk

Spa is a good one I have read, plenty of options to get there cheap.

stu_1992

Spa or Monza are my dream ones. I really like the look of the atmosphere at the Mexican GP too, and a decent excuse for a holiday there. I have the opportunity to buy discounted tickets to Paul Ricard this year through work, but unsure if I can go yet. Not the best track by any stretch of the imagination but I still haven't been to an actual race after years of watching so I'll take what I can get. TBF I definitely would have went in recent years if not for Covid!

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
I priced up the weekend 3 years go and the cost was mental, fpr me and my 2 sons, it worked out with race tickets , parking, food, drink and hotel it was the thick end of 3 grand !!!!
No way could I justify paying that amount.
Yeah it is mental. Luckily I only live 45 minutes away so could do away with the hotel.

I really want to do a European race though, they seem much more affordable and doubles as a weekend break somewhere nice.

pauldyson1uk

Yeah it is mental. Luckily I only live 45 minutes away so could do away with the hotel.

I really want to do a European race though, they seem much more affordable and doubles as a weekend break somewhere nice.
A European Race is a must, always wanted to do Monaco, but the cost is more then Silverstone !
I would say Spa is you best bet.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Has anyone here been to Imola? Been looking at the provisional calendar and that's best for me timing-wise. Curious if anyone has any feedback!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think because Lewis/Vettel era they came to F1 at very young age compare to 90s.
Prost began his F1 career at 25 yo, Senna at 24, Schumi at 22, Mika at 23, if they come at this decade, they would be consider late if not old.
Even Max was fast tracked at the age 17/18.
Thanks! But that's kinda the obvious part - or at least, of they become champions young, they're likely to have started young as well. So I'm curious how come they're getting into F1 younger.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thanks! But that's kinda the obvious part - or at least, of they become champions young, they're likely to have started young as well. So I'm curious how come they're getting into F1 younger.
Just better youth support series. It's the same with any sports now, football also. Players used to start arriving at the best clubs in their mid 20's, now it's 17/18/19.

Red Bull, Mercedes, Alpine, Mclaren, Ferrari all have their own young driver programmes looking for the best young talent in the world.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just better youth support series. It's the same with any sports now, football also. Players used to start arriving at the best clubs in their mid 20's, now it's 17/18/19.

Red Bull, Mercedes, Alpine, Mclaren, Ferrari all have their own young driver programmes looking for the best young talent in the world.
Thanks for explaining!

pauldyson1uk

Formula 1's managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn is in favour of barring team bosses from communicating directly with FIA race director Michael Masi during Grands Prix in 2022.

This year's tumultuous season featured several instances when which Red Bull and Mercedes team bosses intervened over the airwaves to appeal to Masi regarding a specific event or incident.

Last weekend's dramatic showdown in Abu Dhabi was marked by several in-race radio messages to race control from the two teams' pitwall.

The first corner tussle between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen triggered several communication queries from Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley and Mercedes sporting boss Ron Meadows, with both teams arguing a case in favour of their respective driver.

Later in the race, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff implored Masi not to deploy the safety car when Antonio Giovinazzi's Alfa Romeo was stranded on the side of the track.

But the chatter and two-way conversations ramped up during the race's late safety car period when confusion emerged over the fate of the lapped cars positioned between Hamilton and Verstappen.

Horner questioned the already under-pressure Masi about why the cars were not waved through as the rules allow, while Wolff, as the action was undertaken, lost his cool and lambasted the race director, yelling "Michael! No, Michael! No! No, Michael! That was so not right!"

Speaking to German publication, Auto Motor und Sport, Brawn said that Horner and Wolff's interventions were unacceptable.

"It is not acceptable that the team bosses put Michael under such pressure during the race," Brawn said.

"Toto Wolff cannot demand that a safety car should not come, and Christian Horner cannot demand that the cars have to lap back.

"That is at the discretion of the race director. We will stop this contact next year."

Brawn equated the interferences to "a football coach negotiating with the referee".

The F1 chief saluted Masi's call to release the field for one final lap, but lamented Mercedes' post-race protests.

"The decision in the last lap is a highlight that can't be topped," added Brawn.

"Unfortunately, the protest takes the shine from the finale a bit."

https://f1i.com/news/428895-formula...iRnLEJDz9RZN5P7yOedzEZhSTWrFpTLiPyq8uHSDj9nm4

hobbers

Good stuff. No more crowding the ref.

Even more important if the race director is a new guy.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Because most drivers are already signed to the various Academies since their karting days and don't need to spend years hoping to get discovered.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Because most drivers are already signed to the various Academies since their karting days and don't need to spend years hoping to get discovered.
Cheers - yeah, @Adam-Utd also told me that in the meantime.

Jerch

Formula 1's managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn is in favour of barring team bosses from communicating directly with FIA race director Michael Masi during Grands Prix in 2022.

This year's tumultuous season featured several instances when which Red Bull and Mercedes team bosses intervened over the airwaves to appeal to Masi regarding a specific event or incident.

Last weekend's dramatic showdown in Abu Dhabi was marked by several in-race radio messages to race control from the two teams' pitwall.

The first corner tussle between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen triggered several communication queries from Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley and Mercedes sporting boss Ron Meadows, with both teams arguing a case in favour of their respective driver.

Later in the race, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff implored Masi not to deploy the safety car when Antonio Giovinazzi's Alfa Romeo was stranded on the side of the track.

But the chatter and two-way conversations ramped up during the race's late safety car period when confusion emerged over the fate of the lapped cars positioned between Hamilton and Verstappen.

Horner questioned the already under-pressure Masi about why the cars were not waved through as the rules allow, while Wolff, as the action was undertaken, lost his cool and lambasted the race director, yelling "Michael! No, Michael! No! No, Michael! That was so not right!"

Speaking to German publication, Auto Motor und Sport, Brawn said that Horner and Wolff's interventions were unacceptable.

"It is not acceptable that the team bosses put Michael under such pressure during the race," Brawn said.

"Toto Wolff cannot demand that a safety car should not come, and Christian Horner cannot demand that the cars have to lap back.

"That is at the discretion of the race director. We will stop this contact next year."

Brawn equated the interferences to "a football coach negotiating with the referee".

The F1 chief saluted Masi's call to release the field for one final lap, but lamented Mercedes' post-race protests.

"The decision in the last lap is a highlight that can't be topped," added Brawn.

"Unfortunately, the protest takes the shine from the finale a bit."

https://f1i.com/news/428895-formula...iRnLEJDz9RZN5P7yOedzEZhSTWrFpTLiPyq8uHSDj9nm4
Never understood.why didn't had one way conversation already established. Great change.

For anybody who is interested more on post season testing and how 18" is looking (on old cars), a great video here: