F1 2022 Season

hobbers

It just speaks to a huge dearth of ability and competence in that Aston Martin team that's been there as long as Stroll has.

Leg-End

As long as it’s not sketchy on details(ie AM and their Mercedes blueprints) then I don’t see an issue with teams copying others to find something that works. In fact I’m surprised smaller teams don’t do it more often.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
You seem to recognise the characteristics then ..
yes. it’s true. i was one of toto’s early prototypes. the driving ability was there but they couldn’t quite work out how to build the crotches properly, so i was released into the wild.

every friday night a ford transit van can be seen pulling up to a lay-by by some woodland in brackley. toto gets out of the driver’s side and opens the side door, 14 naked cyborg drivers are then ushered out and into the woods, left to fend for themselves. there they have formed their own social strata, the hamilton clones acting as overlords, the bottas ones, their sex slaves.

slyadams

A bit mental that a team could just copy another team's car in the first place.
Why? In every other sport I can think of you are allowed to copy tactics, techniques, strategies, formations etc. Copying designs has been part of F1 for decades. If the FIA hadn't banned DAS every team would have had it this season, every team jumped on the double defuser etc.

dinostar77

Why? In every other sport I can think of you are allowed to copy tactics, techniques, strategies, formations etc. Copying designs has been part of F1 for decades. If the FIA hadn't banned DAS every team would have had it this season, every team jumped on the double defuser etc.
Agreed, it was inevitable that one of the leading teams would have their design copied by the other teams especially midfield and lower teams.

There are rules about photographing other teams designs and importing them into CAD. I dont know the details of that. But unless Astin Martin have had a proper detailed look at the RD floor and suspension, they arent going to get RB levels of performance. They will probably elimate their porposing issues or reduce them significantly in spain for stroll anyway. Real shame the only b spec car they have for spain isnt going to vettel.

The Firestarter

Well the idea would be to design things yourself not just copy. But I guess there are limits to what is allowed. For example if a team somehow hacks into another's systems and obtains the cad files, even if it's not proven if the designs are identical to the millimeter I can't imagine this would stand.

dinostar77

Apparently Mercedes ran a new PU and rear wing during filming day at Paul Ricard a few days ago. The PU has given them a 4kph boost in straight line speed (not much given the deficit to RB was 10kph).

They have more updates for Barcelona. FP1 and FP2 this afternoon should be interesting as there will be lots of new parts on lots of cars.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Abssolutely huge list of upgrades.

This is essentially 2022.B

I'm sure Ferrari/RB will still be the quickest, but we could see other teams a lot closer this weekend.

dinostar77

Well the idea would be to design things yourself not just copy. But I guess there are limits to what is allowed. For example if a team somehow hacks into another's systems and obtains the cad files, even if it's not proven if the designs are identical to the millimeter I can't imagine this would stand.
Theres an easier way then espionage, hire your rivals staff. RB took powertrain staff off Mercedes and Dan Fellows (one of adrian newey's) design team was poached by Aston Martin. Though he was supposed to be on gardening leave till end of april just gone. It does make you wonder if he had any input into the AM changes for spain as they do look very much like RB design parts....

pauldyson1uk

Abssolutely huge list of upgrades.

This is essentially 2022.B

I'm sure Ferrari/RB will still be the quickest, but we could see other teams a lot closer this weekend.
looking forward to this weekend, massive list of upgrade like you say.
Hopefully Mercedes have solved some problems, but RB and Ferrari will also be getting better, FP1 should be intresting.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Apparently Mercedes ran a new PU and rear wing during filming day at Paul Ricard a few days ago. The PU has given them a 4kph boost in straight line speed (not much given the deficit to RB was 10kph).

They have more updates for Barcelona. FP1 and FP2 this afternoon should be interesting as there will be lots of new parts on lots of cars.
they could have achieved the same but cutting a hole in the floor and having hamilton fred flintstone it down the straights.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems Mercedes have added the extra flap that all the 'non purpoise' teams seem to have, so hopefully that will be the end of the majority of their issues now. Could get tasty :drool:

prateik

karun chandhok with a view from the 90s..

Said if Sainz saw his father racing and what they had to deal with, he wouldnt be complaining about the porpoising

pauldyson1uk

Top of the timesheets
Here's how it stands so far as we come towards the final 20 minutes of the first practice session...
1) Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) - 1.19.828
2) Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) - +0.079
3) Max Verstappen (Red Bull) - +0.336
4) George Russell (Mercedes) - +0.762
5) Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) - +0.983

Balljy

apparently FIA have conducted an investigation into the Aston Martin and found there was nothing wrong.
Have I missed something, has Red Bull made a complaint to the FIA ?
I don't think there's been an official complaint but the FIA always check the changes to verify it isn't a direct copy and have released a statement that they're happy. Red Bull have complained to the press though.

Formula 1: Red Bull accuse Aston Martin of copying car design - BBC Sport

pauldyson1uk

slyadams

So if a team come up with a brilliant rear wing innovation, should everyone just ignore it?

The Firestarter

So if a team come up with a brilliant rear wing innovation, should everyone just ignore it?
Copying general shapes / ideas I think is fine, but carbon copying elements I cant imagine being legal, essentially you are not doing any design/ innovation you are running a Xerox machine.

flameinthesun

Seems to be some positivity with mercs despite their times, seemed there was no porpoising and lewis was running with no DRS

hobbers

Cheers, been busy and not caught up fully yet.
Horner being Horner :rolleyes:
You think if Alfa Romeo or Tauri rocked up with a body identical to the Mercedes Toto would say nothing about it?

Not that there's any danger of anyone trying to copy Mercedes any time soon.

dinostar77

apparently FIA have conducted an investigation into the Aston Martin and found there was nothing wrong.
Have I missed something, has Red Bull made a complaint to the FIA ?
Apparently AM came up with the design over the winter for two cars. The sidepods that resemble the RB were planned since the start of the season. FIA have seen all the data at the factory as @pauldy said and have concluded that the research data backs it up.

For me its still a case of ex RB staff joining AM over the off season and taking ideas with them.