F1 2022 Season

The Firestarter

I think your missing the point ted is making. To replace Hamilton, you'd want a experienced driver who has won WDC before, who can help develop the car and provide seasoned feedback to the team. Alonso is one of the best of his generation and still on the grid.

Lando is young and inexperienced at that level just like russell.

Anyway, i think its all mute anyway as i dont see Hamilton leaving in next few season until he gets justice and wdc title no8.
I rather dismissed his point, by that time both Lando and George wouldn't be exactly rookies. Not compared to Alonso sure, but the dynamics within the team will be much better if the two drivers are from the same generation.

Last edited:

F-Red

Alpine backed themselves into a corner really, they were happy to leave him benched until it suited them. Now Alonso has gone behind their backs they're suddenly desperate to keep him.

Maybe they can take Ricciardo back :lol:
That will be the likely move, Piastri to McLaren and Ricciardo to Alpine on greatly reduced terms from when he left them.

hobbers

So why not just stick with the established rules?
No doubt because he had stakeholders in his ear telling him the championship cant finish and be decided under a safety car because it will damage the spectacle. Including the demands of the team bosses, particularly Toto, earlier in the season about not ending races under safety cars.

hobbers

Honda and Red Bull have announced an extension to their power unit support deal that will see them continue their relationship until the end of 2025.

Honda withdrew from Formula 1 at the end of 2021, having powered Red Bull’s Max Verstappen to his maiden Formula 1 World Championship. Red Bull Powertrains – a new company set up by the Austrian outfit – then took over the Honda engine IP, but with help from the Japanese company under a support agreement. They are currently leading both championships with Red Bull, while the power units also power the AlphaTauri team.

Honda and Red Bull extend power unit support deal until 2025 | Formula 1®
This is so they can be classified as a new engine manufacturer in 2026 with RB Powertrains/Porsche and get all the subsidies and benefits from that.

F-Red

This is so they can be classified as a new engine manufacturer in 2026 with RB Powertrains/Porsche and get all the subsidies and benefits from that.
The subsidy is very little (up to $15m in the first three years) in the context of the overall cost. I think the reason why they've announced the extension is that the protests that would come from the other engine manufacturers, mostly Alpine, around the Honda IP transferring to Porsche at the end of 2025 and by buying the units from Japan for this period instead of building in Milton Keynes gives them a clear separation. Also the definition of what counts as a newcomer especially on subsidies, probably will need to be defined when we have multiple marquees from the same ownership coming into the sport.

Ahmer Baig

“It was the first confirmation I had,” he [Szafnauer] said, when asked by Autosport about how he discovered Alonso has done a deal with Aston Martin.

“Obviously, when we're in the paddock, there's all sorts of rumours, and I had heard rumours that Aston were interested.

“Once you hear that they're interested, there's probably discussions that took place and there's some other indications that discussions took place, like walking out of the same motorhome at the same time, all that kind of stuff, which I saw.

“But I was confident that, even with the discussions, and there's nothing wrong with exploring, that we were very close.

“So yes, the first confirmation I had was the press release. I did ask the question [to Alonso]. And I was told: 'No, no, I haven't signed anything.' So I was a bit surprised.”

Pushed on whether he had spoken to Alonso since the announcement was made, Szafnauer said: “I haven't talked to him, since he's on a boat, I think, in the Greek Isles somewhere.

“I took this morning to address the staff here in Enstone. And the second thing I'm doing is talking to you. And yesterday, I fielded a bunch of calls from other potential drivers.”

Szafnauer said that Alpine and Alonso had all but agreed a 1+1 contract extension, which would guarantee the Spaniard a seat for 2023 with then an option for 2024 and beyond.

It is understood that one of the elements that was central to Alonso’s future thoughts was on staying in F1 as long as possible, as he felt just a single year commitment was not enough.

Szafnauer said: “There were just a couple of minor points that were outstanding, as he said that his lawyer would get back to us on. I believed that to be the case.

“And then, before he left, I confirmed with him that we would be signing soon. And he said, 'Yeah, don't worry, I haven't signed with anybody else.'

“We'll continue this in the next couple of days.”

laughtersassassin

No doubt because he had stakeholders in his ear telling him the championship cant finish and be decided under a safety car because it will damage the spectacle. Including the demands of the team bosses, particularly Toto, earlier in the season about not ending races under safety cars.

Yeah was very interesting seeing Zach Browns thoughts on it all.

It was no surprise to the bosses that they wouldn't finish under Saftey car as the teams had discussed it with the FIA and agreed to stop finishing races under Saftey car that very season.

The real issue was they should have hashed out exact scenarios and what to to but both the FIA and the teams didn't think that far ahead.

End of the day is no one was blameless on it. Not the FIA not Mecredes and not Red Bull.

Hell even Bono was expecting the lapped cars to be unlapped as they should be but just everyone thought it'd be done sooner really.

telstar96

Alpine backed themselves into a corner really, they were happy to leave him benched until it suited them. Now Alonso has gone behind their backs they're suddenly desperate to keep him.

Maybe they can take Ricciardo back :lol:
Agreed. I also think the 3 year deal for Ocon last season has led to this situation. Alonso would've wanted the same assurances and Piastri would've been uncertain about his future driving for them.

If Alpine were so confident that Ocon was their undisputed #1 driver, why were they offering Alonso a 1 year deal for 2023 and trying to loan out Piastri? Surely they would just give the seat to Piastri for next year? Unless, that is, they don't believe Ocon is better than Alonso?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. I also think the 3 year deal for Ocon last season has led to this situation. Alonso would've wanted the same assurances and Piastri would've been uncertain about his future driving for them.

If Alpine were so confident that Ocon was their undisputed #1 driver, why were they offering Alonso a 1 year deal for 2023 and trying to loan out Piastri? Surely they would just give the seat to Piastri for next year? Unless, that is, they don't believe Ocon is better than Alonso?
It just seems they're happy with both Ocon and Alonso but don't want to lose Piastri. At the same time they can't actually get Piastri a seat, and he's not going to sit on the bench for another year or 2.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but for those who thought Mclaren are happy with Ricciardo :nervous: there's a new Aussie in town.

F-Red

Their view probably was Piastri in a seat like Williams will be better grounding and experience for him as a driver before coming into the fold a year later. Alonso is 41, it makes better commercial sense to offer him a 1 year deal whilst he's at the end of career (ability aside) with a year option, similar to how football teams don't offer long term deals to those reaching the end of their careers.

telstar96

It just seems they're happy with both Ocon and Alonso but don't want to lose Piastri. At the same time they can't actually get Piastri a seat, and he's not going to sit on the bench for another year or 2.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but for those who thought Mclaren are happy with Ricciardo :nervous: there's a new Aussie in town.
According to Scott Mitchel, from The Race, Alpine had until the 31st July to find Piastri a seat for 2023 or else he could speak to other teams. Alpine wanted Alonso to 'warm' that seat for Piastri, hence the 1 year deal. It's quite possible that Alonso waited until the cut off date and announced on the 1st August that he's going to Aston Martin, just to screw over Alpine for treating him as a second rate driver. El Plan has fully been revealed...:lol:

dinostar77

Be absolutely amazed if ferrari, alpine and Mercedes let that happen.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Whether intentionally or not, his nativity opened him up to far too much 'lobbying' by the teams.
In my opinion that was a significant part of the problem.
And in the end, he was swayed into making a catastrophic mistake.
A mistake which cost Lewis Hamilton his deserved 8th title.

There have been many many posts on this subject.
But one thing is definite.
He was rightly held responsible for his own actions.

hobbers

Whether intentionally or not, his nativity opened him up to far too much 'lobbying' by the teams.
In my opinion that was a significant part of the problem.
And in the end, he was swayed into making a catastrophic mistake.
A mistake which cost Lewis Hamilton his deserved 8th title.

There have been many many posts on this subject.
But one thing is definite.
He was rightly held responsible for his own actions.
But he was also simultaneously held responsible for systematic failures of the FIA, for the ambiguous outdated rule book, for the inconsistent stewards and for the lobbying team bosses. Compared to all of that one split second decision made with good intentions is nothing. Perfectly scapegoated.

Such a groundhog day subject this, for some.

Adam-Utd

According to Scott Mitchel, from The Race, Alpine had until the 31st July to find Piastri a seat for 2023 or else he could speak to other teams. Alpine wanted Alonso to 'warm' that seat for Piastri, hence the 1 year deal. It's quite possible that Alonso waited until the cut off date and announced on the 1st August that he's going to Aston Martin, just to screw over Alpine for treating him as a second rate driver. El Plan has fully been revealed...:lol:
That 100% sounds like something Alonso would do too. Great pickup by AM anyway, as much as I love Vettel he's clearly not got his heart in it like he used to.

Alonso is still a bloodthirsty monster.

Canagel

The Alonso contract is reportedly 2 years with a option for 3 and contains exit clauses if the results arent satisfactory.

slyadams

I think blaming Masi entirely is harsh. He got some split second decisions wrong. I’d really blame the race stewards who came up with some absolute nonsense to reject Mercedes’ protest, which can only have been because they didn’t want to have to change the result. That seems to get overlooked and is a far greater issue in my eyes than one guy doing his best and making an error.
Agreed, but I think the stewards were in an almost impossible situation. Their only recourse was to cancel laps (has this ever happened?) to re-instate a different finishing order. However, I'm not inclined to give Masi any credit. He has handled countless safety car scenarios over the year, following the rules/procedures was second nature. It took an active effort for him to change that procedure.

F-Red

Well that moved quickly. Looks like Danny Ric will remain at McLaren next year. Leaves Alpha Tauri to confirm the second seat with Gasly, Haas on Schumacher, and Williams on the Latifi seat I think?

The Firestarter

Well that moved quickly. Looks like Danny Ric will remain at McLaren next year. Leaves Alpha Tauri to confirm the second seat with Gasly, Haas on Schumacher, and Williams on the Latifi seat I think?
Latifi staying in Williams will be hilarious.

F-Red

Latifi staying in Williams will be hilarious.
It depends on how Sargeant does in F2 this year, if he fails to get ahead of Drugovic or Pourchaire in the title race then I could see him doing another season in F2. It would leave Latifi as a favourite and possibly Nyck De Vries as a left field choice.

Adam-Utd

lots of people seem convinced this is a power play to alpine to force him to commit - nothing confirmed by Piastri himself yet.
Doesn’t Latifi tick a lot of commercial boxes though? He’s so awful though.
Latifis family are billionaires so really helped Williams with the money. Now they’re better funded they can afford to take a ‘better’ driver.

Sargeant being American will come with its own commercial benefits too

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Can’t believe the title gap is now 80 points. 3 DNFs for Max and 3 wins for Leclerc wouldn’t even overturn it.

The way things are going could easily see Hamilton, Russell and Perez be ahead of Sainz and Leclerc.

RoadTrip

Someone gonna look like a mug. Either Alpine, when Piastri signs with McLaren. Or Piastri, if he doesn’t sign with McLaren and doesn’t get a seat - or ends up at Alpine.

Adam-Utd

to state “I will not be”… he must be pretty pissed + definitely have an agreement in place with Mclaren already. sheesh!

hobbers

Someone gonna look like a mug. Either Alpine, when Piastri signs with McLaren. Or Piastri, if he doesn’t sign with McLaren and doesn’t get a seat - or ends up at Alpine.
Dont think there's any chance he writes the words I wont be driving for Alpine next year, if he hasn't already got a firm agreement with someone else.

Alpine best brace themselves for the glorious return of Danny Ric.

RoadTrip

Dont think there's any chance he writes the words I wont be driving for Alpine next year, if he hasn't already got a firm agreement with someone else.
Probably not. But then did we read the Alpine tweet and genuinely think it was bollocks at first until the facts started leaking?!