F1 2023 Season

pauldyson1uk

F1 Pre-Season Testing

F1 2023 pre-season testing will take place on 23-25 February at the Bahrain International Circuit.
This will be the first chance to see the new cars and drivers in action.
The three-day test is expected to take its regular format of eight hours of running each day – four hours in the morning and four hours in the afternoon split up by a one-hour break – with one car per team allowed to run at any one time.
All 20 F1 drivers, plus any test and reserve drivers, will be in action at the test.

2023 F1 calendar
DateRaceVenue
5 MarchBahrain GPSakhir
19 MarchSaudi Arabian GPJeddah
2 AprilAustralian GPMelbourne
16 April
30 AprilAzerbaijan GPBaku
7 MayMiami GPMiami
21 MayEmilia Romagna GPImola
28 MayMonaco GPMonaco
4 JuneSpanish GPBarcelona
18 JuneCanadian GPMontreal
2 JulyAustrian GPRed Bull Ring
9 JulyBritish GPSilverstone
23 JulyHungarian GPHungaroring
30 JulyBelgium GPSpa-Francorchamps
27 AugustDutch GPZandvoort
3 SeptemberItalian GPMonza
17 SeptemberSingapore GPSingapore
24 SeptemberJapanese GPSuzuka
8 OctoberQatar GPLusail
22 OctoberUnited States GPCOTA
29 OctoberMexican GPMexico City
5 NovemberBrazilian GPInterlagos
18 NovemberLas Vegas GPLas Vegas
26 NovemberAbu Dhabi GPYas Marina

F1 will hold its biggest-ever calendar in 2023, with 24 races scheduled for next season, up from the 22 races held in 2022.
Returning to the calendar are the Chinese GP and the Qatar GP, absent due to COVID-19 restrictions in China and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar, plus an all-new addition of the Las Vegas GP.
While F1 has raced in Las Vegas before, at Caesars Palace in 1981-82, the new purpose-built Las Vegas complex will see the series race around the most iconic landmarks in the city.

Tweaks to the 2023 schedule see the Azerbaijan GP return to an early spring slot having previously been held in June, while the Belgium GP has been pushed forward to before the August summer break to avoid a triple-header after the summer break with the Dutch and Italian rounds.
There will also be six sprint races in 2023, up from three in the previous two seasons, although it is unknown which events will host changed race format.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Formula 1 Drivers lineup for the 2023 season
TeamDrivers
Red BullMax Verstappen and Sergio Perez
FerrariCharles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz
MercedesGeroge Russel and Lewis Hamilton
AlpinePierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon
McLarenLando Norris and Oscar Piastri
Alfa RomeoValtteri Bottas and Guanyu Zhou
Aston MartinFernando Alonso and Lance Stroll
HaasKevin Magnussen and Nico Hulkenberg
Alpha TauriYuki Tsunoda and Nyck de Vries
WilliamsAlex Albon and Logan Sargent

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

New for 2023 F1 Season

Roll hoops strengthened
Roll hoops for F1 cars have been strengthened for 2023 primarily due to the incidents of the 2022 F1 British GP. To refresh memories, George Russell and Guanyu Zhou clashed at the start of the race in Silverstone.

Larger mirrors on F1 cars
The second major change in cars is the installation of larger mirrors on them. This was trialed by a few teams earlier in the season and will be a part of the cars next season.
This has been done to address one of the biggest complaints F1 drivers have had over the years: their inability to see anything in the tiny mirrors. No F1 team, however, would want to install bigger mirrors considering their aerodynamic repercussions.
The FIA has taken the matter into its own hands now and the cars will have standard-sized mirrors that are somewhat bigger than those currently used.

Back of the grid penalties explained
Following confusion among teams regarding grid penalties, the FIA has tried to simplify things to an extent.

Article 28.3 of the sporting regulations now no longer mandates that drivers must start from the back if they incur 15 places of grid penalties.

This was amended after Ferrari replaced multiple elements of Charles Leclerc's power unit at different times in Spa in an attempt to avoid a back-of-the-grid penalty. Updated regulations state that if a driver has accrued more than 15 cumulative grid position penalties or has been penalized to start at the back of the grid, he will start behind any other classified driver.

Any driver with 15 or fewer grid penalties is 'filled in' based on their results in qualifying. If two drivers end up in the same position with a penalty, the fastest based on their qualifying time is moved forward one place.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This will be the season Max slowly starts entering the GOAT conversation.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
:lol: :lol: I have only done it to add more and they are in order, Team drivers rule changes and such like.
it’s a good idea. i’m going to use my slot to libel max or lewis depending on my mood throughout the season.

hp88

That schedule is nuts, you’re basically away from home for 9 months of the year.

pauldyson1uk

Hoping that 2023 has more teams that can actually challenge for the title.
2022 started OK with Red Bull and Ferrari, looking like they would be fighting all season, but that was only short lived and with Mecedes having a dog of a ca, Red Bull pretty much had it their own way.
We know that Mercedes can challenge Red Bull they just need to be doing t every race with both cars.
Ferrari have the car to challenge, they need to sort their strategy out.
Hopefully there will be a few more teams also in there, a 3 or 4 way challenge would be excellent for F1

hobbers

McLaren and AM have their new wind tunnels starting up maybe but it will come too late for 2023 performance.

hp88

They need to look at the schedule and sort it out so that races are more geography based, but I presume this would have to wait for contracts to run out.
Spain then Canada and back to Austria is mental
It’s the same with Abu Dhabi and Vegas, should be bundled with others race but I guess they’re paying a premium to be at the end of the season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
For the fourth year in succession, the Chinese Grand Prix is set to be dropped from Formula 1's calendar due to Covid.

Like several other races, the event in Shanghai was cancelled in 2020 and in 2021 to restrictions linked to the global pandemic.

Chinese GP set to be cancelled… again (f1i.com)
so almost 1 month between the 3rd and 4th race?

Will they look to replace it or shuffle races around as that seems like a big gap to have early on

F-Red

They won't shuffle anything, they'll retain the dates on all races and have the 3 week gap between Melbourne & Baku. Teams will be in support of the gap as well.

Sandyman

New for 2023 F1 Season

Larger mirrors on F1 cars
The second major change in cars is the installation of larger mirrors on them. This was trialed by a few teams earlier in the season and will be a part of the cars next season.
This has been done to address one of the biggest complaints F1 drivers have had over the years: their inability to see anything in the tiny mirrors. No F1 team, however, would want to install bigger mirrors considering their aerodynamic repercussions.
The FIA has taken the matter into its own hands now and the cars will have standard-sized mirrors that are somewhat bigger than those currently used.
Stroll can see who he is swerving and crashing into more clearly now

Hal9000

They need to look at the schedule and sort it out so that races are more geography based, but I presume this would have to wait for contracts to run out.
Spain then Canada and back to Austria is mental
The issue is that any earlier or any later for canada , then there is a huge risk of snow. Can't move COTA or Miami closer to canada either due to the extreme heat in those places in early summer and hurricane season in Florida. Logistically it's a nightmare but back to back North America races is probably impossible.

pauldyson1uk

The issue is that any earlier or any later for canada , then there is a huge risk of snow. Can't move COTA or Miami closer to canada either due to the extreme heat in those places in early summer and hurricane season in Florida. Logistically it's a nightmare but back to back North America races is probably impossible.
Shame really lumping races together would be a massive cost reduction for the teams, but did not take the weather factor in to it.

F-Red

Isn't it a 28 day (4 week) gap seems excessive
On the face of it yes, but given promoters have worked to those dates already then the likelihood of changing dates is slim to none due to the logistical nightmares that would ensue. They'll just give the teams a break, who are already complaining about the amount of races, rather than move anything. Covid was probably the only scenario where we saw dates moved quickly, simply because they had no fans to manage. Now, I would expect dates 2 years in advance to be the only ones to move.

The only thing I could see happening, if F1 are adamant at having a full season and a track to replace China, would be the alternative circuit of Bahrain.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
On the face of it yes, but given promoters have worked to those dates already then the likelihood of changing dates is slim to none due to the logistical nightmares that would ensue. They'll just give the teams a break, who are already complaining about the amount of races, rather than move anything. Covid was probably the only scenario where we saw dates moved quickly, simply because they had no fans to manage. Now, I would expect dates 2 years in advance to be the only ones to move.

The only thing I could see happening, if F1 are adamant at having a full season and a track to replace China, would be the alternative circuit of Bahrain.
Nurbergring would be great

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Perez is contracted to drive at Red Bull for 2023. Ricciardo has joined as a third driver but will only be doing marketing appearances and demo runs.
Till Perez outqualifies max then the toys will come out of the pram and Perez will find himself in an alfa tauri quicker than you can say "max is a mardy scrote" and I can say that pretty quick

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Ricciardo back to RB as number 3 driver.
Backwards step, just to stay in vision, cant see him getting much track time, if any.
I think he’s looking more at 2024… but also Horner will now find a reason to sack Checo mid season for the slightest inconvenience.

For the same reason that Mick has joined or will join Mercedes. He’ll either replace Lewis or Alonso at some point. I would hazard a guess to say the latter but the merc engined junior lineup is a bit shit aside from Lando (subject to Piastri’s performance in 23).

Abizzz

Binotto leaving Ferrari. Hopefully we will see a difference next season.