F1 2023 Season

dinostar77

Binotto leaving Ferrari. Hopefully we will see a difference next season.
If its vasser as rumoured, than leclerc will be defacto no1 driver and sainz no2 (as The Race said in one of their articles) Leclerc and vasser get on really well. Alledgly leclerc stopped talking to binotto in last few months of the season.

Leg-End

I think he’s looking more at 2024… but also Horner will now find a reason to sack Checo mid season for the slightest inconvenience.

For the same reason that Mick has joined or will join Mercedes. He’ll either replace Lewis or Alonso at some point. I would hazard a guess to say the latter but the merc engined junior lineup is a bit shit aside from Lando (subject to Piastri’s performance in 23).
If Mick ever replaces Hamilton then we know Mercedes have given up logic for nostalgia, Schumacher belongs in a top team about as much as Pauldyson belongs on the Oscar voting panel.

hp88

I think he’s looking more at 2024… but also Horner will now find a reason to sack Checo mid season for the slightest inconvenience.

For the same reason that Mick has joined or will join Mercedes. He’ll either replace Lewis or Alonso at some point. I would hazard a guess to say the latter but the merc engined junior lineup is a bit shit aside from Lando (subject to Piastri’s performance in 23).
It would be good to see what he can do in a decent car, maybe its due to racing for Haas but I just think there more worthy drivers than Mick who deserve a chance at one of the top tier teams.

dinostar77

It would be good to see what he can do in a decent car, maybe its due to racing for Haas but I just think there more worthy drivers than Mick who deserve a chance at one of the top tier teams.
Mick is in F1 by name only. He wont be replacing any top drivers at any top teams because he simply isnt good enough.

Mercedes having him as a reserve/test driver is primarily because of his name.

pauldyson1uk

Not shocked that Binnotto has gone, he has been living on the edge for a couple of season I think.
Mick Sch going to Mercedes, has shocked me TBH , he is not a good driver, living on his name and the only reason Merc are taking hi is because of his name.
There is not a snowballs chance in hell of him replacing Hamilton, even when he does hang his driving boots up, he is just not and never will be good enough.

hobbers

Poor move from Ferrari, surely they can do better than Vasseur

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Mick ever replaces Hamilton then we know Mercedes have given up logic for nostalgia, Schumacher belongs in a top team about as much as Pauldyson belongs on the Oscar voting panel.
Can see him going to audi in a few years ... possibly as the 2nd driver more likley as a reserve then onto porsche as the same after 3 years which should see him through to retirement

pauldyson1uk

A number of track changes have been carried out at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit ahead of the 2023 edition of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, race promoter Saudi Motorsport Company has confirmed.

Made in cooperation with track design company Tilke GmbH, following consultation with F1, the FIA and drivers, the modifications aim to further improve driver sightlines in specific areas of the circuit, alongside the refashioning of various kerbs, “to deliver smoother, safer, and even more exciting racing” with F1’s new era of cars.

For next year’s event, special ‘Rumble Lines’ – which ‘shake’ a car, causing traction to be lost and slowing it down – have been added at Turns 3, 14, 19, 20 and 21, while bevelled kerbs have been added in place of steel ones at Turns 4, 8, 10, 11, 17 and 23.

As for driver sightlines, Turns 14 and 20 have seen the shifting of the fence wall on the right- and left-hand sides respectively by 7.5m (T14) and 5m (T20), with an extra ‘Rumble Line’ implemented between the white line and fence wall, while the fence wall has been adjusted at Turns 8 and 10 to give drivers more visibility of the corner ahead.

In the final change, Turns 22 and 23 have seen the ‘S’ shape squeezed via the adjustment of the fence at T23, and the addition of a bevelled kerb – with a view to slowing down the drivers by approximately 50km/h.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Good to hear. Changes had to be made, I hate watching cars go flat out on the limit there.

dinostar77

A number of track changes have been carried out at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit ahead of the 2023 edition of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, race promoter Saudi Motorsport Company has confirmed.

Made in cooperation with track design company Tilke GmbH, following consultation with F1, the FIA and drivers, the modifications aim to further improve driver sightlines in specific areas of the circuit, alongside the refashioning of various kerbs, “to deliver smoother, safer, and even more exciting racing” with F1’s new era of cars.

For next year’s event, special ‘Rumble Lines’ – which ‘shake’ a car, causing traction to be lost and slowing it down – have been added at Turns 3, 14, 19, 20 and 21, while bevelled kerbs have been added in place of steel ones at Turns 4, 8, 10, 11, 17 and 23.

As for driver sightlines, Turns 14 and 20 have seen the shifting of the fence wall on the right- and left-hand sides respectively by 7.5m (T14) and 5m (T20), with an extra ‘Rumble Line’ implemented between the white line and fence wall, while the fence wall has been adjusted at Turns 8 and 10 to give drivers more visibility of the corner ahead.

In the final change, Turns 22 and 23 have seen the ‘S’ shape squeezed via the adjustment of the fence at T23, and the addition of a bevelled kerb – with a view to slowing down the drivers by approximately 50km/h.
Boo, i love the track as it is.

Leg-End

Real shame, the guy has been there since 1995, he's Ferrari through and through.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Have a horrible feeling Piastri might upstage Lando. Based on zero evidence having barely paid attention to Piastri so far.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Surely RB cant be stupid enough to sack Perez and put Ric back in the hot seat? He's been shite for 3 years and well past it, a nothing driver.

pauldyson1uk

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Have a horrible feeling Piastri might upstage Lando. Based on zero evidence having barely paid attention to Piastri so far.
Why do people under rate Lando so much? because of his social media or silly sense of humour?

He's COMFORTABLY up there with Leclerc, Russell in terms of talent.

Piastri is certainly going to be a big talent, but he's not had a drive for over a year and it'll be his first regular season in the big toys.

I suspect he will end up closer than Ricciardo managed, but Norris should still be comfortably ahead.

I'm really hoping Mclaren can get back to challenging the top 3 again like they managed in 20/21.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
And if Piastri is up there with Lando. Then it's only a positive for the team and constructor points.

hobbers

Lando needs much better competition anyway otherwise he'll never reach full potential as a driver. He's had it way too easy last two years with a dud car and dud team mate.

Russell is up against Hamilton and Leclerc has Sainz keeping him on his toes, Lando needs a team mate to push him.

Leg-End

Agreed, Lando will only improve with competition. He improved against Sainz each season and has taken another step this year, despite his car being worse than 2021.

23 years old, he's ready to start his ascent now.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Also binotto in talks with Audi F1
He's not a bad engineer, he tried his best to create a safe working environment, the polar opposite to what Ferrari has had since JT and Ross left, but it looks like politics fecked that up and the pressure told with the amount of mistakes made this year.

dinostar77

He's not a bad engineer, he tried his best to create a safe working environment, the polar opposite to what Ferrari has had since JT and Ross left, but it looks like politics fecked that up and the pressure told with the amount of mistakes made this year.
Hopefully for him he will get a similar deal at Audi like totto at mercedes and horner at RB where both owns shares in the F1 team and are more CEOs of the f1 team than team principal.

Thats the fundamental difference between ferrari and mercedes and RB. Binotto was an employee.

He oversaw the production of a very good car, unfortuntely i think he wasnt decisive or ruthless enough with his strategists.

Also a problem that ferrari have for 2023 and so do Mercedes is that RB have a no1 and no2 driver. Makes a big difference to have that clarified. Ferrari need to make leclerc no1 and sainz no2. But like mercedes i dont think they will relegate sainz and russell to no2 'wingman' drivers. I suppose it depends on how the drivers do in first 6 races.

Regardless that gives RB an advantage as perez must move over (or get replaced by riccardo).

hobbers

Binotto would be an excellent steal for Audi if they can get him leading their PU development. Duno about team principal.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Real shame, the guy has been there since 1995, he's Ferrari through and through.
No shame.

He basically blackmailed Ferrari for the TP job when he was best doing development.

Ended up with Ferrari being a shambles as a team and development took a set back with his concentration elsewhere.

Leg-End

No shame.

He basically blackmailed Ferrari for the TP job when he was best doing development.

Ended up with Ferrari being a shambles as a team and development took a set back with his concentration elsewhere.
Can't say I know the inner workings of Ferrari politics, I don't think given recent history Ferrari are exactly a shambles though.

They will be back but they need to make a proper appointment.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Can't say I know the inner workings of Ferrari politics, I don't think given recent history Ferrari are exactly a shambles though.

They will be back but they need to make a proper appointment.
They are a shambles. Their strategist is a fecking clown and he’s been there since 2014. feck knows how’s he’s still in a job with so many TP sacked :lol:

Ferrari was best when they had outsiders leading the team, look at them in the Schumacher era, none of them were dropped in from Ferrari and it showed because they expected results and were ruthless when people failed to meet expectations.

Compare that to now where politics play a huge part in job security.

hobbers

Ferrari just had to focus too much on making their engines not explode that they couldnt match red bull and mercedes developing to have vastly better tyre deg.

dinostar77

Leg-End

They are a shambles. Their strategist is a fecking clown and he’s been there since 2014. feck knows how’s he’s still in a job with so many TP sacked :lol:

Ferrari was best when they had outsiders leading the team, look at them in the Schumacher era, none of them were dropped in from Ferrari and it showed because they expected results and were ruthless when people failed to meet expectations.

Compare that to now where politics play a huge part in job security.
Mercedes strategist is too, that's been exposed since they lost a dominant car.

I do agree, since they went back "in-house" results and standards have dropped. But this year they had a good car underdeveloped (which is a trend admittedly), they certainly underachieved given the early pace but it's not a shambles is it? McLaren's situation was a shambles, the difference is now it's happened so long the expectation of 5th is now considered to be good for them.

If Ferrari parachute in a competent lead they will continue to be in the Top 3 teams easily, which they haven't really dropped out of since the dodgy 2020 season (in which they obviously got their wings clipped by the FIA). They seem to lack development cycles which is their number one issue, they need to really do a talent recruitment drive on the technical staffing side to reach the top again.

hobbers

Hard to forget how far back Ferrari were only 2 years ago. They were where McLaren are now, comfortably 1s+ slower almost everywhere.