F1 2023 Season

Ahmer Baig

So Mercedes waited until it was too late for Aston to react when they put in the protest for the penalty. Why didn't the officials react early. The pitstop was 45 mins before the race ended. The officiating in F1 is even worse than PL VAR. If Merc can spot the wrong penalty being taken so can officials.

Toto Wolff just said they spotted Alonsos infringement very early. If Mercedes can do that, why can't the FIA?

ArjenIsM3

Checo not happy with the fastest lap. No love lost at between max and Perez.
Just saw that, Checo really looked fecked up after asking Max about the fastest lap :nervous:
Why would any one of them be owed the fastest lap at this point? They're in a battle for the top spot and the season's just started. Just race and may the best driver win.

ArjenIsM3

So Mercedes waited until it was too late for Aston to react when they put in the protest for the penalty. Why didn't the officials react early. The pitstop was 45 mins before the race ended. The officiating in F1 is even worse than PL VAR. If Merc can spot the wrong penalty being taken so can officials.

Toto Wolff just said they spotted Alonsos infringement very early. If Mercedes can do that, why can't the FIA?
That's very Mercedes isn't it, waiting untill the last moment so Aston couldn't react, letting Alonso get on the podium then taking it off him.. why not lodge the complaint the minute you see it and prevent all that? Bit nasty if you ask me but then we've come to expect no less of Wolff.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why would any one of them be owed the fastest lap at this point? They're in a battle for the top spot and the season's just started. Just race and may the best driver win.
In general, yes. But they were told to slow down because of potential problem, and Checo listened to them while Verstappen like always does what he wants.

Altough that probably explains the difference between a champion and just an average F1 driver.

ArjenIsM3

In general, yes. But they were told to slow down because of potential problem, and Checo listened to them while Verstappen like always does what he wants.

Altough that probably explains the difference between a champion and just an average F1 driver.
What I saw on F1TV was Perez was told on the radio he was free to push. Not listened to the full board radio mind you so not sure if he got another message afterwards. And the team kept telling Max they weren't worried about the car while Max kept telling the team he was.

hobbers

Perez was told he was free to push, but he didn't push. No one said his fastest lap was safe, he was complacent.

Max wasn't pushing at all, he backed off for the last 5 laps because he was terrified about his driveshaft. And then he went for it only on the last lap, because even if it broke again he could still limp home in second.

F-Red

That's very Mercedes isn't it, waiting untill the last moment so Aston couldn't react, letting Alonso get on the podium then taking it off him.. why not lodge the complaint the minute you see it and prevent all that? Bit nasty if you ask me but then we've come to expect no less of Wolff.
The moment it happened, Mercedes were under the impression that they would be behind Ferrari after the stops. Wasn’t until the race unfolded that they realised they would be in touch with Alonso.

Clever work from Ron Meadows though, as most missed the mistake from the Aston Martin jack man.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What I saw on F1TV was Perez was told on the radio he was free to push. Not listened to the full board radio mind you so not sure if he got another message afterwards. And the team kept telling Max they weren't worried about the car while Max kept telling the team he was.
Max asked earlier what was the fastest lap, and they told him it's not important, to which he answered that it's relevant to him and that was the end of conversation :lol:

Which pretty much meant he wasn't going to listen to them, and they told Perez after Perez realised Max is catching him that he is free to push too, considering they probably couldn't slow down Max anyway.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that Max sees himself as no1 driver in every moment of the race, even when his team is not happy with that.

The Firestarter

I mean, it's pretty obvious that Max sees himself as no1 driver in every moment of the race, even when his team is not happy with that.
I literally thought everyone knew this. Those who have watched F1 for more than a month that is.

hobbers

Anyone who doesnt have that mindset doesnt belong on the grid at all.

Ahmer Baig

One of the worst tracks ever. Despite having billions of dollars, the Saudis cannot construct a proper race track.

Ahmer Baig

Mike Krak has a point. You aren't supposed to work on the car. Touching the jack isn't working on the car. As opposed to Ocon last week, who had a crew guy changing the wing who touched it.

Alonso has handed it really well on the sky interview right now, isnt acting bitter, and put the point across its an FIA problem that they couldnt inform the team for 35 laps.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Anyone who doesnt have that mindset doesnt belong on the grid at all.
I didn't say it's wrong, it's winning mentality that Max have and Checo doesn't. Which eventually makes him less likeable for some people.

But I am sure everyone would choose less likeable but champion, over second and more likeable.

Jerch

I really don't like those 5s penalties been served that way. Just add time at the end of the race, otherwise you lose time because you are playing it safe or risking another penalty if you are a less cautious.

F-Red

Mike Krak has a point. You aren't supposed to work on the car. Touching the jack isn't working on the car. As opposed to Ocon last week, who had a crew guy changing the wing who touched it.

Alonso has handed it really well on the sky interview right now, isnt acting bitter, and put the point across its an FIA problem that they couldnt inform the team for 35 laps.
The jack is engaged with the car so it will remove a step of the action and it’ll save time, which when we’re talking about a time penalty is relevant to the discussion. In those matters it’s a binary yes/no for a penalty.

Alonso’s point is more the pertinent one as to why the race director/stewards hasn’t informed the team after 35 laps, and why only after a competitor has raised it.

Motorman

Why would they. Its not their problem if AM didn't serve correctly. Its a race, its in their interest to look after Mercedes.

ArjenIsM3

Why would they. Its not their problem if AM didn't serve correctly. Its a race, its in their interest to look after Mercedes.
Oh yeah it's a race and I can understand that they complained I just don't agree with the way they went about it. Waiting untill the last possible moment thus allowing Alonso to get his 100th podium only to take it away from him after the ceremony.

F-Red

Alonso is back in third, FIA have reversed the decision.

The FIA couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

hobbers

Christ what a fecking shambles again.

Stupid safety car for a car that was safe and off the track. Failed to investigate a possible infraction that was fecking obvious to everyone (except Crofty in real time) until after the trophy had been handed out. Then take the trophy away, then just flip on a dime 2 hours later.

At least Alonso gets what he deserves.

Wicked_Badger

Interesting but fairly processional race apart from the Max charge.

Excellent drive from Checo, especially after the (ridiculous) SC to maintain that gap too. Max was flying all weekend so to keep him at bay towards the end was impressive.

Verstappen showing his ruthlessness at the end grabbing the fastest lap.

I feel for Alonso, great drive, but seriously, don’t touch the car in those circumstances. Even the casual viewer saw/learned what happened to Ocon last time around. Pro teams/mechanics shouldn’t be making that mistake. To get slammed for 2 of the 3 penalties everyone took the piss out of Ocon for last week is pretty poor.

The FIA are a joke for not calling it earlier though & Merc smart to keep it under wraps until the end.

What annoyed me most about that whole thing was the ability to serve a penalty under SC conditions in the first place, effectively eliminating the punishment. The race rules are crazy sometimes.

Another shit show from my guys at McLaren this weekend. Good effort overall from Piastri, but that car is soo draggy. I don’t think its overall pace is as bad as the last 2 weekends have shown, the big updates can’t come soon enough.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah really bad from race management. It's not that difficult. I mean the whole sport is a technical regulation, these things should be watertight.

mitChley

Sensible decision, sounds like they gave a boat load of evidence of pit crew doing the same with jacks during time penalties and not receiving any further penalty.

goalscholes

You shouldn’t be able to use a jack on the car during a penalty, but if other teams have done it then fair enough.

Ahmer Baig

The Stewards were shown video evidence of how Car 14 served the penalty by the
Race Director and the Sporting Director. They stated that what was agreed at the
SAC meetings with the teams was that no part of the car could be touched while a
penalty was being served as this would constitute working on the car.

In support of the Petition for Review, the Stewards were shown minutes of the latest SAC meeting
and video evidence of 7 different instances where cars were touched by the jack while serving a
similar penalty to the one imposed on Car 14 without being penalized.

Fluctuation0161

Oh yeah it's a race and I can understand that they complained I just don't agree with the way they went about it. Waiting untill the last possible moment thus allowing Alonso to get his 100th podium only to take it away from him after the ceremony.
A Max Verstappen fan talking about sportsmanship? Come on. :lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons