F1 2023 Season

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

RoyH1

Max Verstappen the racing car driver is well on his way to become one of the greats in the history of the sport. Phenomenal pilot.

The person I really have no time for. Every time I see him and he opens his mouth, I cringe a bit.

sepulturite

Whatever the stats lean to.
The stats would never tell the whole story for me, for example Hamilton is the best driver if you go by stats, but do I think he's the best of all time? No. Jim Clark is in my opinion, he was a pure genius behind the wheel of any race car.

arthurka

Max Verstappen the racing car driver is well on his way to become one of the greats in the history of the sport. Phenomenal pilot.

The person I really have no time for. Every time I see him and he opens his mouth, I cringe a bit.
His father is the same guy without the talent. Let's just say tree and apple.

Jerch

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrnWacoWcAEbEtr.jpg

the reasoning is basically: we got it wrong in the past, so its only fair if we do now too?
The reasoning is that a jack is allowed to touch the car. It was understood that only front jack is allowed because it is used to guide the car but nowhere in the rules it is explicitly stated that only front jack is an exception so they ruled that both jacks are exception and reversed their decision.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The stats would never tell the whole story for me, for example Hamilton is the best driver if you go by stats, but do I think he's the best of all time? No. Jim Clark is in my opinion, he was a pure genius behind the wheel of any race car.
I was kind of drunk when I made my OP on this topic. I had seen something that motivated the question but I can't remember it at the moment.

laughtersassassin

It's funny how you just need to read the comments on here and the internet to see Checo lying about the fastest lap situation worked. Disappointing that he feels the need to do that when the radios clearly show he was never told not to go for it or that Max or any other driver wouldn't go for it.

Fastest lap was fair game. Checo was told he was free to push and Max bet him to it fair and square.

It's racing and they raced. That's exactly what we want to happen.

At the end of the day Checo should be happy he had a great race and showed really good pace and that he nearly got close to maximum points in a weekend after Max's reliability cost him majorly. Without that it would have very likely been a different story of course.

In other news feck me Ferrari was slow. Crazy how slow considering they where adamant this track would be better for them than Bahrain.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's funny how you just need to read the comments on here and the internet to see Checo lying about the fastest lap situation worked. Disappointing that he feels the need to do that when the radios clearly show he was never told not to go for it or that Max or any other driver wouldn't go for it.

Fastest lap was fair game. Checo was told he was free to push and Max bet him to it fair and square.

It's racing and they raced. That's exactly what we want to happen.

At the end of the day Checo should be happy he had a great race and showed really good pace and that he nearly got close to maximum points in a weekend after Max's reliability cost him majorly. Without that it would have very likely been a different story of course.

In other news feck me Ferrari was slow. Crazy how slow considering they where adamant this track would be better for them than Bahrain.
I've given up in believing anything that Ferrari says to be honest. Just avoids the inevitable disappointment.

laughtersassassin

I've given up in believing anything that Ferrari says to be honest. Just avoids the inevitable disappointment.
TBF I didn't believe they'd actually be close to Red Bull like they where saying but feck me coming behind both Mercs is fairly fecking poor considering Ferrari actually have quali pace.

Krits

Ferraris problem last year was, high deg and reliability. Have a full of season, come back. Problems? High deg and reliability. Mixed with falling behind on single lap pace to the RB.

It’s a mess of a team.

JimmyWils

Yeah gonna have to agree on this, but part of it surely has to be because the guy is essentially being allowed to do whatever he wants.

After the way in which that stupid 2021 ending happened with people basically desperate to justify him deserving it anyway, then Red Bull last season and this just absolutely worshipping the ground he walks on despite his constant whinging and moaning in the car, he's bound to have a high opinion of himself. And that opinion definitely shows.

laughtersassassin

Yeah gonna have to agree on this, but part of it surely has to be because the guy is essentially being allowed to do whatever he wants.

After the way in which that stupid 2021 ending happened with people basically desperate to justify him deserving it anyway, then Red Bull last season and this just absolutely worshipping the ground he walks on despite his constant whinging and moaning in the car, he's bound to have a high opinion of himself. And that opinion definitely shows.
Max done nothing this weekend to elicit these responses though.

When the car broke in quali he took it well. Didn't give our or lose his shit and was all smiles in the paddock.

After the race he congratulated the team and Checo and had a laugh with Checo etc.

So what did he do wrong? Take fastest lap? That was fair game, Checo was told he was free to push.

They had a fair fight for it and that's racing.

Also even if Max reacted badly to his quali issue as he sometimes does that's completely normal. Hell just go listen to Hamilton in 2016 when he had reliability issues. People get emotional it's really not that deep.

The biggest story of this weekend in terms of peoples attitudes is actually why Checo lied about the fastest lap situation. I like Checo but that was a bit sly on his part especially when the radio is there for everyone to see. He probably regrets it.

But again even that is really not a big deal. Probably just trying to put pressure on.

JimmyWils

When the car broke in quali he took it well. Didn't give our or lose his shit and was all smiles in the paddock.

After the race he congratulated the team and Checo and had a laugh with Checo etc.

So what did he do wrong? Take fastest lap? That was fair game, Checo was told he was free to push.

Also even if Max reacted badly to his quali issue as he sometimes does that's completely normal. Hell just go listen to Hamilton in 2016 when he had reliability issues. People get emotional it's really not that deep.

The biggest story of this weekend in terms of peoples attitudes is actually why Checo lied about the fastest lap situation. I like Checo but that was a bit sly on his part especially when the radio is there for everyone to see. He probably regrets it.

But again even that is really not a big deal. Probably just trying to put pressure on.
It wasn't an analysis of this specific race. I responded to and quoted somebody else making a general opinion on Verstappen. I agreed and elaborated.

Even if he conducted himself really well this specific weekend, it doesn't change how he's been on a consistent basis for the last few years.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah it's easy to be calm when your car is so much faster it may as well be a different division, but we saw Max's real self during his numerous meltdowns before he was handed his first championship by Masi.
Spot on.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is almost impossible to compare drivers across the years of F1.
Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart were driving completely different types of cars to those of today.
And in my basic opinion, they had to drive in a different way. And possibly had to drive the car using more of their basic skills.

The current drivers drive cars that are much faster and heavier and have significantly more driver aids. They are more managing the car, tyres and its systems.

dinostar77

Mark Hughes from Autosport, thinks FIA will change tech rules for next season to stop the current RB car and its domination (unless rivals can close the gap, almost impossible in seaaon where the gap is over a second). Not good for the sport and the whole reason the rules were changed to stop years of domination by one team.

hobbers

There's definitely a bit of slyness with Checo that nobody really expects. Like Horner said both of them went for the fastest lap in the final lap, Checo was just too slow and gave up half way through. No good reason for him to pretend he was told not to try and improve it.

The Hilton

Mark Hughes from Autosport, thinks FIA will change tech rules for next season to stop the current RB car and its domination (unless rivals can close the gap, almost impossible in seaaon where the gap is over a second). Not good for the sport and the whole reason the rules were changed to stop years of domination by one team.
They need to really, they did the same in the final year of the previous rules to clip Mercedes' wings, which made things much closer and more interesting than one team disappearing off into the distance.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Good on redbull for making such a fast car but it’s ridiculous to watch, no fun what so ever, before the race even started I knew max would breeze through the pack, and he did at ease.

when he over took Lewis even the commentator said it looked like f1 v f2 and they usually try to big up the competitiveness. He didn’t even have to try and overtake anyone, it just happened and other drivers knew it wasn’t even worth putting up a fight.

Leg-End

Wasn't it reported that he left the track angry on Saturday and skipped the team debrief? Rosberg mentioned it and called it weak.

Not trying to pick but he did reportedly lose his shit over something very minor at this stage of the season.

hobbers

Good on redbull for making such a fast car but it’s ridiculous to watch, no fun what so ever, before the race even started I knew max would breeze through the pack, and he did at ease.

when he over took Lewis even the commentator said it looked like f1 v f2 and they usually try to big up the competitiveness. He didn’t even have to try and overtake anyone, it just happened and other drivers knew it wasn’t even worth putting up a fight.
Half of the problem was the final DRS zone. Most overtakes in the race were foregone conclusions, Saudi is probably the most DRS-boosted track on the calendar which of course also serves RB.

laughtersassassin

Wasn't it reported that he left the track angry on Saturday and skipped the team debrief? Rosberg mentioned it and called it weak.

Not trying to pick but he did reportedly lose his shit over something very minor at this stage of the season.
Rosberg did say he didn't go to the meeting. We have no idea why.

It's just as likely he didn't go as he was sick this week as was well reported. Marko even mentioned that it was actually quite bad early in the week to the point they wondered if he would be able to race. Obviously he recovered but as you know yourself it takes a few days to get back to 100% after being sick.

There was no reports of him losing his shit.

Man was all smiles after quali and he had every reason not to be. Typical media though trying to get clicks.

Also Horner has even previously mentioned last season that sometimes after a driver gets unlucky with reliability that they all need different ways to relax and forget about it in order to perform. If heading straight home after getting unlucky is the best way to get in the right head space for the race then that's the best thing to do.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Missed the race, was it another snooze fest or worth watching the highlights?

JimmyWils

In my opinion definitely the former. Like somebody else said the only real interesting thing was Verstappen tearing through the pack, but we all knew that was going to happen anyway really.

laughtersassassin

In my opinion definitely the former. Like somebody else said the only real interesting thing was Verstappen tearing through the pack, but we all knew that was going to happen anyway really.
Agreed. It's funny because usually fast cars at the back makes things more interesting but in this case it probably would have been more interesting to have Max and Checo start next to one another as this was the first race maybe ever Checo had similar pace.

I expect Max still would have won somewhat easily as Checo was poor off the line and isn't generally good at overtaking or in dirty air. But obviously we will never know for sure what pace they would have had if they where close.

I'd say the race was average. 5/10. The worst Saudi race so far.

goalscholes

I thought the first two thirds of the race were interesting.

There’s always a safety car (albeit a controversial one this time) so the question was going to be when and who would it help.

Ferraris if before they needed to pit, Max/ Russell if after the Ferraris pitted and Lewis (on the hards) if after that.

It turned out to be the one which benefitted Max and Russell, and to some extent Lewis, although he couldn’t push for long as it would have killed his tyres.

The final third was a complete bore. I think the cars perhaps underfueled expecting more time under safety cars, or were severely saving tyres/ engines, as no one pushed and everyone maintained distances.

Last edited:

goalscholes

I wonder if the RB is particularly affected by dirty air outside of DRS, but once they use DRS it’s like they’re igniting a rocket. 20kmph faster than all other cars down straights.

Clearly they’ve thought about air flow when DRS is activated more than the other teams.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Obviously dominance isn't fun but what is the point in penalising a team that has nailed the regs? Makes it pointless.

I've always said each weekend should have 2 races. 1 with spec cars which counts solely towards the WDC.

mitChley

I can find mention of him leaving early Saturday and missing team debrief from Singapore last year but google is failing to find me anything from this weekend.

hobbers

Rosberg should know better than anyone that dodgy reliability on one side of the garage can win an undeserving driver a championship.

altodevil

Rosberg is an excellent driver worthy of having a WDC to his name.

pacifictheme

Rosberg is an excellent driver worthy of having a WDC to his name.
Yeah I would tend to agree. I don't think there was an obviously better driver from the era who didn't win a wdc, he's probably bottom of the pile but someone has to be.

The fact he has as many wdc's as mansell is a travesty though.

altodevil

Yeah I would tend to agree. I don't think there was an obviously better driver from the era who didn't win a wdc, he's probably bottom of the pile but someone has to be.

The fact he has as many wdc's as mansell is a travesty though.
I'll take Rosberg over Raikkonen or Button