F1 2023 Season

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I would say raikkonen was a better driver at his peak than Rosberg. Maybe button, but he was an amazing wet weather driver.
Racecraft nearly irrelevant when you have a top car. All about that one-lap pace.

laughtersassassin

I can find mention of him leaving early Saturday and missing team debrief from Singapore last year but google is failing to find me anything from this weekend.
Nico did report it. Dutch media have said though that Max and the team had agreed beforehand that he was better off going back to the hotel and resting as he had been quite sick the few days before the GP.

It was the same reason he was not at the media day on Thursday.

Nico wrongly assumed he skipped it without permission.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I can find mention of him leaving early Saturday and missing team debrief from Singapore last year but google is failing to find me anything from this weekend.
i heard that his dad had spotted a disabled fan and their elderly parents just outside the track, so they went to let the tyres down on their wheeelchair and git-surf the parents. horner allowed it as long as they spat on them afterwards for him.

goalscholes

Rosberg is an excellent driver worthy of having a WDC to his name.
Perhaps, but he was outclassed every year he was Hamilton’s teammate, including the year Rosberg won the championship.

i heard that his dad had spotted a disabled fan and their elderly parents just outside the track, so they went to let the tyres down on their wheeelchair and git-surf the parents. horner allowed it as long as they spat on them afterwards for him.
Don’t tell the FIA. They’ll give Lewis a reprimand for breaking a tow, take apart the Mercedes car, have a hearty laugh, and force the mechanics to put it together again, to continued bemusement and laughter.

altodevil

Surprised folk are so surprised at that comment. Rosberg matched Hamilton over one-lap. One-lap pace is just about all you need in a top car. Plus he was hardly a slouch during the race. Easy decision picking him over Kimi or Jenson.

dinostar77

Rosberg had michael schmacher and lewis hamilton as his teammates and he held his own. Not good enough to beat hamilton over a season (apart frm the season hamilton lost the title to him after the garage crews we're switched).

Personally, i have him higher than button and kimi.

dinostar77

Obviously dominance isn't fun but what is the point in penalising a team that has nailed the regs? Makes it pointless.

I've always said each weekend should have 2 races. 1 with spec cars which counts solely towards the WDC.
We're in a different era of F1 now compared to Mercedes dominance, mainly because of DTS. Its massively increased F1's profile, especially in USA (a market F1 is desperate to really crack). US sports are setup to stop dynasties or serial winners of championships, because the audiences dont like it.

DTS also brought alot of casual viewers to F1 and also people who only watch DTS but not F1 races themselves.

Problem is DTS is only as good as the racing on the track and the stories that generates. Having one team effortlessly demolish the grid isnt great viewing. Its not great viewing if your trying to crack USA.

Now i agree RB engineers have done a fantastic job. They've created one of the fastest F1 cars ever. They shouldnt be punished by technical regs to slow them down (as Mercedes were at end of 2020 season).

So whats the alternative? Ballast. A dirty word in F1 because its seen as "artifical". DRS is also "artifical". Add say 100kg to verstappens rocketship. It will slow him down alittle bit, but it doesnt put him out of contention for a win from P15.

Imagine if ballast was introduced during Mercedes dominance. Yes they would probably still win alot, but it would give the likes of Bottas more of a fighting chance in equal machinery. Hamilton carrying 100kg, Bottas 75kg. That 0.1-0.3 advantage that the greats (senna, prost, schmie, hamilton, verstappen)have over their teammates would be wiped out with ballast. It levels the inter-team field some what.

Ballast right now in the RBs, would slow them down alittle, not enough for Mercedes and Ferrari to catch them (crap car design + rival designing a rocketship = gap too big to bridge). However it might give perez more of a chance especially if verstappen has to carry 25kg more.

Obviously if Perez then took the lead in WDC then the ballast would switch; perez 100kg, verstappen 75kg.

It is artifical, but it has been proven to work in touring car. It might also be the answer to keeping a season competative and interesting while giving DTS more story lines and satisfying US audiences to boot.

hobbers

Adding ballast would be properly insane. Thankfully never gonna happen.

The best technical directives they could do to bring Red Bull back is standardise parts of the floor, probably.

But even that could backfire, just like raising the minimum ride height backfired.

hobbers

Surprised folk are so surprised at that comment. Rosberg matched Hamilton over one-lap. One-lap pace is just about all you need in a top car. Plus he was hardly a slouch during the race. Easy decision picking him over Kimi or Jenson.
Jenson out performed Lewis during their 3 years together at McLaren.

Though yeh, realistically he is probably the worst WDC winner there is.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Max needs to be careful, for the previous seasons it was a welcome relief to see competition and most neutrals loved RB as the underdog to Merc. Like we saw with Vettel and Hamilton during their dominant years, people started to dislike them. Vettel used to get boo‘d on the podium at one point now he’s universally loved. Max is very easy to dislike with some of the comments when he’s so focused on being number one and getting everything he wants. He’ll say he’s not bothered but most humans want to be well liked at some point.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Why did Max and his father look so pissed? Did Verstappen expect red bull to order Perez to give the win to him?

Last edited:

hp88

Max needs to be careful, for the previous seasons it was a welcome relief to see competition and most neutrals loved RB as the underdog to Merc. Like we saw with Vettel and Hamilton during their dominant years, people started to dislike them. Vettel used to get boo‘d on the podium at one point now he’s universally loved. Max is very easy to dislike with some of the comments when he’s so focused on being number one and getting everything he wants. He’ll say he’s not bothered but most humans want to be well liked at some point.
It's RBR's fault for developing their drivers into thundercunts as Vettel was the same until he moved to Ferrari, certain Max would be more likeable if he was at any other team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's RBR's fault for developing their drivers into thundercunts as Vettel was the same until he moved to Ferrari, certain Max would be more likeable if he was at any other team.
Well maybe, but being a complete cnut runs in the family with Verstappen Sr and Max's father in law as well. Might run deeper than just Horner and co in his case.

laughtersassassin

Why did Max and his father look so pissed? Did Verstappen expect red bull to order Perez to give the win to him?
Max congratulated Checo multiple times on the lap back to the grid. And was laughing with him afterwards.

Your just seeing what you want to see. There's loads of examples of post race content of them together.

Also I don't give two shits about Jos but he barley looks happy when Max wins, he shook Checos hand and patted him on the back.

Anyone creating drama off this stuff are just looking to stir shit.

Checo did great this weekend showed good pace and deserved it. But at the same time he very likely only won because of the Quali problem for Max.

By the same logic we could ask why Lewis wasn't looking happy for George when he was initially awarded the podium. Personally I think who the feck cares and too many people over analyse all these F1 drivers reactions.

All these guys want to win and want to beat their teammate. It simply natural.

Last edited:

Leg-End

I wonder if Max fans will ever not bring up Lewis in these arguments.

laughtersassassin

I wonder if Max fans will ever not bring up Lewis in these arguments.
Well it's just the most useful comparison in an English forum as that's who a lot of people support.

As I said I think Lewis's reaction was perfectly normal and people overanalyze these things. (This one was also being posted around social media in an attempt to paint Lewis in a bad light which also makes it a good comparison as it's the same thing that happens with Max)

F1 drivers are rarely delighted being bet by their teammate. No matter the context. It's normal and can be seen across a million different driver pairings.

altodevil

Personally I think who the feck cares and too many people over analyse all these F1 drivers reactions.

All these guys want to win and want to beat their teammate. It simply natural.
Basically all that needs to be posted on this guff.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Well it's just the most useful comparison in an English forum as that's who a lot of people support.

As I said I think Lewis's reaction was perfectly normal and people overanalyze these things.
how do you explain max taking a shit in a burrito and making checo’s dad eat it.

Leg-End

As I said I think Lewis's reaction was perfectly normal and people overanalyze these things.
The crux of it is, he's a bad loser.......just like the 19 other drivers on the grid.

Ahmer Baig

“The first thing Alonso did when he got to the box after the podium was to give the Aston Martin rear jack mechanic a hug of support.”

Classy from Alonso.