FA Cup Quarter Finals - SF: Brighton vs United

LordSpud

This City team is so much better than Arsenal.
Thats because Arsenal arent that good. I still maintain their League position is them overachieving. They showed near enough no fight in any of the cups and it would be damn near hilarious if they fail to win the league. But, if they get a few injuries to key players, they will fold. They've been very lucky with injuries so far.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I know we’ve done it this season at old Trafford but how on earth can haaland be stopped? He’s actually in frightening form! If he gets injured though city have no one to replace his goals.
The same City that scored 99 goals without him last season? Yeah I don't think that would be a huge problem for them.

edcunited1878

Obviously City was going to win, can people stop wetting themselves over Haaland, this is a Utd forum not a City one,
It's also a great football forum and there are great players to respect and think of because they make the game entertaining. Yes, most dislike and hate their clubs as should be, but can't deny great players are great players.

BorisManUtd

City strong favourites for the Fa Cup. It's a cup and only one game do think it'll be difficult for anyone to beat them in semis/final. Hopefully we go through tomorrow to have a chance of doing it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The same City that scored 99 goals without him last season? Yeah I don't think that would be a huge problem for them.
That was last season. They’ve not been at their best completely this season. Haaland probably has about 90% of there goals this season.

ti vu

Why? if United win I'd prefer the semi final line up to be Brighton v City and Man United v Sheff United or Blackburn.
Early final. We know City is the biggest threat. There is no positive difference in losing in final or semi. Rather meet the biggest contender early. If we lose, then it save us an extra game from the thick schedule.

However, if we beat City in semi, then we almost have one hand on the Cup heading into final.

always_hoping

Early final. We know City is the biggest threat. There is no positive difference in losing in final or semi. Rather meet the biggest contender early. If we lose, then it save us an extra game from the thick schedule.

However, if we beat City in semi, then we almost have one hand on the Cup heading into final.
Brighton will be tough to beat whoever they face. If United are to reach the semi final and draw City it would be this schedule (thanks but no thanks)

April 20th - Sevilla (A)
April 23rd - City in the Fa Cup semi final
April 27th - Tottenham (A)

ti vu

Brighton will be tough to beat whoever they face. If United are to reach the semi final and draw City it would be this schedule (thanks but no thanks)

April 20th - Sevilla (A)
April 23rd - City in the Fa Cup semi final
April 27th - Tottenham (A)
The alternative is FA Cup final close to potential EL final.

Brighton is decent, but they're no where to be afraid of. They're tough to beat, but they're beatable. We're talking about cup game here. They can't just play for draw.

Similarly Sevilla right now is not a team that you would need a lesser team in FA Cup semi to get a breather.

Edit:

Manchester City would have Bayern second leg; then us, then Arsenal if we're to meet in semi. If you ask me, we have a better chance to mess their season/Treble ambition this way, even if we're to bow out of FA Cup. Even losing to Tottenham, doesn't make or break our top 4 finish chance. Unlike City's potential title decider game against Arsenal. City may be distracted in FA Cup, we would be in better position to beat them in FA Cup semi, than in final.

Last edited:

ti vu

You say that now but it might be different by the time that game actually comes around.
It may, but very unlikely to go tits up for us because Brighton, Newcastle, Liverpool, Tottenham all play against each other or against tough oppositions (Arsenal, City, Chelsea)prior/during/around this period.

always_hoping

The alternative is FA Cup final close to potential EL final.

Brighton is decent, but they're no where to be afraid of. They're tough to beat, but they're beatable. We're talking about cup game here. They can't just play for draw.

Similarly Sevilla right now is not a team that you would need a lesser team in FA Cup semi to get a breather.

Edit:

Manchester City would have Bayern second leg; then us, then Arsenal if we're to meet in semi. If you ask me, we have a better chance to mess their season/Treble ambition this way, even if we're to bow out of FA Cup. Even losing to Tottenham, doesn't make or break our top 4 ambition. Unlike City's potential title decider game against Arsenal. City may be distracted in FA Cup, we would be in better position to beat them in FA Cup semi, than in final.
I think they'll be mostly distracted and somewhat complacent v Brighton if paired with them in the semi final. They'll be focused for a Manchester Derby and can and probably rotate without weakening the team

Rotation will be required by United but it will make the team weaker with that in mind Sheff United or Blackburn on the Sunday after the trip to Sevilla would be my preference.

Anyway Fulham to beat first this afternoon and hopefully no further injuries and suspension

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Exactly this.

I'd see City as a threat.

LordSpud

City have a very decent chance of the treble.
They wont get through Bayern and then Real Madrid. If they do they could also get Napoli then in the final. I dont think they get the CL. And also its probably up to us to stop them winning the FA Cup.

Alex B

Why do they always do the draw before the last game of the round is played? Doubt in this case it will have an impact, but let's say it's City Vs United or Fulham, there is surely the potential sometimes for one of the teams to think sod it and play the kids thinking of other competitions