FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They're not Spanish and reside in the UK so it's not going to happen is it.

The word has no meaning here and should it pop up in our society tomorrow I've no doubt it would be filed under the undesirables category as it sounds similar to 'negro' which is considered offensive. But it's apples and oranges... Uruguay and the UK are two completely different cultures and languages.
You’re telling me you guarantee that a black person hasnt been called negrito today in some U.K. school playground, and have justified use of the word?

Spanish speakers can speak as they wish inside their host cultures. But if certain words are legally problematic inside another country, yes they will have to adjust.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
well, it looks like the FA is offended by something that didn't offend the recipient

in a few words the FA tells us how to feel, moreso, it's telling the recipient to be offended

stupid, stupid, stupid FA
Its actually not, even if I don't particularly agree with it, its attempting to avoid offending others since its a public platform (not the recipient)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You mean redefined by people who are constantly offended?
Well normally only those who have been offended can say so?
Or are you saying it’s up to offenders to define what is offensive?
Are you saying the N word or P word should shouldn’t have been ‘redefined’?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm in no way trying to say or imply that there's no racisms in Latin America, sadly that happens everywhere in the world
but using the word negro, negrito, chino, chinito etc, doesnt mean it is used in a racist way
in fact, when is pretended to be use in a racist manner the word negro should be accompanied by an insult, because by itself has no racist implications

and btw, argentina, as an independent country started in 1816
but in 1813 the argentinians declared slavery abolished for the unborn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_of_the_Year_XIII
I think with all due respect, you kind of were. This is what you said:

we don't think of a black person as a lower kind, is just a person who happens to be black
the fact that for centuries in europe and north america black people were treated as flawed doesnt affect us in the same way
you did it, not us
It is totally inaccurate to say that a black person is just someone who happens to be a different colour in South America. And it isn't 'you did it, not us'. The 'you' you refer to were Brits, Spaniards, Portugese who ravaged the Americas and imported millions of black slaves across both continents. And made societies in their image from Europe and imposed their languages, ideas of race and, until this day, continue to have mostly 'white' leaders. So yeah I do think you have tried to divorce South American racism from European racism, as if the two are distinct.

I didn't say that negrito in these days has a negative connotation though as someone who is not a historian, I do not know if it historically did. I certainly heard negrito much much more than blancito whilst travelling across South America and don't remember much reference to lighter peoples' skin colour, as someone else has pointed out on here.

Yes they did abolish slavery for the unborn, not exactly a ground breaking act to ban the idea of unborn babies immediately being born as slaves. It wasn't formally and totally abolished until the 1850s or 60s, depending on how you view the status of slaves in BA (which was a huge hub for slaves from Africa to South America).

Stacks

Do black people say ‘hey white man’ as a term of endearment in return? What is that phrase?

I suspect this term ‘negreto’ originated as a subliminal form of white supremacy, to ensure ‘others’ would always be identified as different, and that could subsequently be abused through discrimination. Else what is the point?
assumptions......assumptions. shall we base our entire position on assumptions?

from an previous case on CNN about the word Negrito, in different cultures.

"Chinea said his mother and stepfather, both of whom were light-skinned, frequently used the word.

When they talked as a couple, my mother would say, ‘negrito, I love you.’ … I grew up listening to those expressions commonly being used by a lot of people in my community in Puerto Rico. And it was never associated with any color,” he said.

After he moved to the United States in the 1960s, Chinea said, the word took on a different meaning. Many of his acquaintances used racial nicknames, he said, but there was no harm intended.

It was always more like a quick way of acknowledging the distinctiveness of that person in a very friendly way,” he said.

But Chinea said one of his Cuban colleagues in graduate school who employed the word drew criticism.

When he used it and other people heard it, people came to me to complain. … In the United States, it sounds offensive to some people,” Chinea said.

In Uruguay, the meaning is clear, said U.S. radio talk show host Fernando Espuelas, who originally hails from the South American country.

“It’s not a slur whatsoever,” said Espuelas, whose show often addresses racism in the Latino community. “It’s a term of endearment. You definitely would not use that if you were angry. It would sound ridiculous.”

Can be used in many ways in many cultures, even sometimes for people who are not even black. I remember J-Lo said "Yo siempre seré tu negrita del Bronx" in a song to describe herself and people said "did J-Lo refer to herself as a little black girl" and got mad. It was a lesson not to translate things word for word as it meant something else in her Puerto Rican dialect. She clearly ain't black.
The world is far too complex to be policing other people's languages, especially if we don't speak or understand it. just doesn't make sense to do so.

reelworld

they can claim that it’s a term of endearment cos some on redcafe proves it so.

Can I now refer to @africanspur as negrito on this forum all the time and tell the mods it’s a Spanish term of endearment so they can ban me for doing so?
since neither you or @africanspur native language is Spanish, this is kinda a moot point. Not to mention a terrible example

Well normally only those who have been offended can say so?
Or are you saying it’s up to offenders to define what is offensive?
Are you saying the N word or P word should shouldn’t have been ‘redefined’?
I'm saying that most people aren't actually offended. UK society is living through the lens of what the noisy left deem to be offensive and choosing the easy life in not arguing against it.

But while we're at it, why is the N word so prominent in rap culture? It's the language that's important after all, not context, right?

spiriticon

If the person who Cavani replied to is not offended, I don't see why the FA should get offended on their behalf.

RedDevil@84

You are not South American. Leave to South American people to speak their language the way they want to.

If he had used the N word in English, then yes, he should have got a long ban. But, he used a different word, in a different context, in a different fecking language.

The only racists in this mess are those who are telling native Speakers how to speak Spanish and which Spanish words they cannot use while they speak Spanish.
Great point.
I can agree that Cavani should have been careful. But some posts in here are outright hilarious, asking everyone in the world to change their language.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thisnis my country not theirs and I know what the laws are.

you cannot use language that identifies people based on the colour of their skin. Sooner white people realise they can’t have this privilege anymore the sooner we can move on.
There's a law that says you can't identify someone by the colour of their skin?

Not saying its right (or wrong, depending on context, meaning, language) but I didn't know there was a LAW that said that in the UK... your country so sure you know better.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It’s Spanish, it doesn’t “read” anything in English.

and if you moved to Uruguay tomorrow, would you be aware of how every English word “sounds” and “reads” there @ThinkTank@Cafe
20 years ago I was in Brazil working on nailing a big fat contract. My Portuguese was rudimentary, I pretty much spoke Spanish and added a lot of ção and inho here and there.

When it was finally wrapped up we arranged to go have dinner that night. One of the (quite stunning) ladies offered me a lift back to the hotel and in front of fifteen people I looked at her straight in the eye as I said "Thank you love, but could we briefly stop at the shopping centre so I can buy the proper condom that this celebration deserves"

Camisa = shirt
Camisinha = condom

FML, watching their faces I reiterated the point that the occasion deserved a proper condom to celebrate with them all. Took me about five minutes to work it out and turn into a red beam.

VojjE

So why isnt this as bad as what Suarez said then?

Is it all just context?
Suarez basically said "I don't talk to blacks", using the word negro towards an opponent as an insult. Not even the close to being the same thing.

These posts don’t sit well with me at all. Troy Deeney faces horrendous amounts of racial abuse, he’s also had his family racially abused. He’s involved in combatting racism and ignorance in the sport and has spoke at length on the subject, so to comment that he only has an opinion when it comes to racism in football because he’s ‘ultra woke’ or desperate for attention is misguided at best, and pretty fecking shit at worst.
Think it more has to do with Troy Deeney being thick as shite and spouting of nonsense opinions for attention rather than being black. Such as his take on players themselves being the ones to decide if they want to get taken off after a head injury. Has been talking a lot of nonsense about United in general.

SuperiorXI

I'm saying that most people aren't actually offended. UK society is living through the lens of what the noisy left deem to be offensive and choosing the easy life in not arguing against it.

But while we're at it, why is the N word so prominent in rap culture? It's the language that's important after all, not context, right?
According to some on here the very utterance in any language of anything remotely sounding racist is punishable no matter the context.

York

The FA has since changed its rules.
I think you're wrong about this. What in the supposed rule change impacts how the Suarez-Evra case would have been interpreted? If the relevant rule is from section E3 of the FA Handbook, there is nothing in the passage from @UncleBob (copied again below) that wouldn't apply here. The Suarez-Evra ruling is precedent and I don't see how any penalty could be given to Cavani.

Nevertheless, we have taken account of the fact that the words were said in Spanish by a Uruguayan player to a French player who speaks Spanish. We have also had regard to the Spanish language expert evidence about how particular uses of "negro" and comments using "negro" would or might be understood in Uruguay. However, ultimately our task is to decide whether in our view the words or behaviour were abusive or insulting in the circumstances in which they took place in this match played in England under the FA Rules.

The word that Cavani used isn't racist, and it was used in a positive context.
And here is the relevant portion of the FA rules (and link). Please feel free to correct if you think something else in the rules applies.

E3.1
A Participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner
which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent
conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/fa-handbook

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You are not South American. Leave to South American people to speak their language the way they want to.

If he had used the N word in English, then yes, he should have got a long ban. But, he used a different word, in a different context, in a different fecking language.

The only racists in this mess are those who are telling native Speakers how to speak Spanish and which Spanish words they cannot use while they speak Spanish.
Without understanding what the word and the context in which it's used. Mental. :houllier:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You’re telling me you guarantee that a black person hasnt been called negrito today in some school playground, and justifying use of the word?

Spanish speakers can speak as they wish inside their host cultures. But if certain words are legally problematic inside another country, yes they will have to adjust.
Black people and people of colour get called far worse than ‘negrito’ mate

Racist bullying goes on in secondary more than primary but you’re crediting kids with far more subtlety if you think that they’ll use that word instead of one that’s more common

SuperiorXI

20 years ago I was in Brazil working on nailing a big fat contract. My Portuguese was rudimentary, I pretty much spoke Spanish and added a lot of ção and inho here and there.

When it was finally wrapped up we arranged to go have dinner that night. One of the (quite stunning) ladies offered me a lift back to the hotel and in front of fifteen people I looked at her straight in the eye as I said "Thank you love, but could we briefly stop at the shopping centre so I can buy the proper condom that this celebration deserves"

Camisa = shirt
Camisinha = condom

FML, watching their faces I reiterated the point that the occasion deserved a proper condom to celebrate with them all. Took me about five minutes to work it out and turn into a red beam.
:lol: great example of the intricacies of languages!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

But while we're at it, why is the N word soprominent in rap culture? It's the language that's important after all, not context, right?
Because it was an attempt by black people to claim the word as an attempt to remove its nastiness. This is not a new nor controversial subject.

If you don’t even understand such basic concepts like this, you really should’ve be engaging in this discussion with assertive opinions.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
since neither you or @africanspur native language is Spanish, this is kinda a moot point. Not to mention a terrible example
I'm not a native speaker in Spanish but was previously fluent enough to be able to work in Colombia and still retain a reasonable level now.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I didn't love it but would never have dreamed to tell Colombians, or other South Americans, to change how they spoke. Similarly, as I've said, I wouldn't sanction Cavani either. Simple education would suffice.

But if someone tried calling me negrito in the UK, I wouldn't be particularly happy. Even if said in an endearing way by a friend.

MTF

For the millionth time, the expression does not exist in English. All that exists is the English word that sounds similar to it, and is deeply offensive in English speaking cultures. But that does not make the two things even close to the same.

bsCallout

But you're missing the point. Even in the best case scenario where the term is meant as a "term of endearment", why is it only black people that are reduced to their skin colour? Is there an equivalent "Thanks whitey" which is also used as a "term of endearment"?
Even using your line of thinking, which isnt that relevant in context.

I get referred to as Ging or ginger. I'm referred to based on my size. I'm referred to based on being pale.

Many people are referred to or acknowledged by many features. Not just black people.

In fact amongst a group of black friends I'd be referred to as the white guy too.

Because it was an attempt by black people to claim the word as an attempt to remove its nastiness. This is not a new nor controversial subject.

If you don’t even understand such basic concepts like this, you really should’ve be engaging in this discussion with assertive opinions.
I understand it perfectly well, just as I understand that it is CONTEXT which allows it to be acceptable. Perhaps you should engage in the discussion by realising the fallacy of your logic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Black people and people of colour get called far worse than ‘negrito’ mate

Racist bullying goes on in secondary more than primary but you’re crediting kids with far more subtlety if you think that they’ll use that word instead of one that’s more common
I’m saying that some people will have been inspired by the discovery of the word yesterday (I never knew the word) and use the ‘Spanish context‘ as justification for using it, whilst actually intending racial hurt.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think he will get away with it because he said it in Spanish to another South American so the UK context is less significant. Also Suarez used a different word with an obviously hostile intent. Still dumb though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
For the millionth time, the expression does not exist in English. All that exists is the English word that sounds similar to it, and is deeply offensive in English speaking cultures. But that does not make the two things even close to the same.
Don’t use word negrito inside UK. Simple.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Camisa = shirt
Camisinha = condom

:lol: Takes me back to some of the ridiculous mistakes and misunderstandings in my first few weeks in Colombia. I do love learning languages and it really opens your eyes to other cultures but it can get very stressful.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is going to be nothing more than a warning at best. He was made aware of how in England his comment would be seen as offensive and he deleted it. This isn't going to be like a banned substance test fail - where even if you claim ingorance that you didn't know a supplement contained it, the authorities don't care. Here, any kind of reason applied and they will just tell him to be more aware of what he posts.
That would be the most logical approach to this somewhat delicate situation, but you have to account for the fact that Cavani represents United, thus guilty by association.

An example will need to be made, especially with Black Lives Matter being so prominent right now, and who better than United to provide that?

90 + 5min

If he has done anything against TheFA regulation he should be punished. We know what kind of organisation TheFA is.

There is lot of other discussion that should be brought up. Why, where, in what way and so on.

Last but not less important. People like Troy Deeney should just be quiet because he has a history that is not that beautifle.

Cassidy

Camisa = shirt
Camisinha = condom

:lol: :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Trying not to offend anyone, ever, is actually exhausting.
Is it though? Or is it generally quite easy to be polite and mindful of others and, perhaps most importantly, if you do cause inadvertent offence, to take on board how and why and try to avoid it in the future if possible?

Cassidy

If he has done anything against TheFA regulation he should be punished. We know what kind of organisation TheFA is.

There is lot of other discussion that should be brought up. Why, where, in what way and so on.

Last but not less important. People like Troy Deeney should just be quiet because he has a history that is not that beautifle.
Whilst I do not agree with his view, I don't think past transgressions come into who can have a view on something now, especially if they have been moved on from and corrected.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Great point.
I can agree that Cavani should have been careful. But some posts in here are outright hilarious, asking everyone in the world to change their language.
Yes, when European languages have evolved within the societal context of slavery, white supremacy and embedded cultural racism, when those societies then decide to eradicate racism, their language absolutely has to also evolve or change.

Cassidy

Is it though? Or is it generally quite easy to be polite and mindful of others and, perhaps most importantly, if you do cause inadvertent offence, to take on board how and why and try to avoid it in the future if possible?
No it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.