FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What UK law makes it a crime using the Spanish word ‘negrito’?
i need your permision in the uk? and if i can call my brother negrito in the uk?
are you a guy with "special needs" or something?
The rules that made Manchester United demand Cavani take down his post using then word, making him apologise, and giving the FA grounds to section him?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hang on there - you mean "negrito"?

If so - come on. The only reason that term is known in the UK is because of the Evra-Suarez incident. And Suarez didn't actually use it (for that matter).

If the general public has gotten the idea that "Negrito" is a racist term, that's because...well, what have you? It's ignorance, isn't it? It's because people don't know how it's actually used by native speakers.

And - again - I am well aware of the potentially problematic aspects of using the term. That's something else - and well worth a debate.
What is the definition?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The breakdown of Arnold's last name is actually Schwarzen / egger, which probably means "black farmer".
Sure, like the pig mounter.

You probably missed it but someone earlier made a story of having to explain he hadn't said the n-word but Schwarzenegger (never pronounced negger that way myself), then someone pointed out he got it the wrong way around (which I had never gathered despite being one of few words I know the meaning for).

The middle e screws it up a bit, but once seen it can't be unseen. Cheeky Arnie.

Revan

Assumptionman
The rules that made Manchester United demand Cavani take down his post using then word, making him apologise, and giving the FA grounds to section him?
Which rules? Can you please post those rules?

He had to apologize for a crime he didn’t do cause social justice warriors might feel offended, not because of some law.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What does the word mean in you understanding? I'm genuinely curious.
The word negrito? I’ve heard of it less than a day, from what I’ve read from posters in this thread who are familiar with that language it can be used as an endearing term such as matey, the ito and ita can be added onto all kinds of words as a form of endearment, I seen a girls name as an example. Here it’s been added to the word black.

now people in Britain are trying to literally translate that into an English word that you can’t really do because it sounds like another word that shouldn’t be used here.

I may be wrong and we’ll off the mark but I mainly keep my opinions to myself instead of running around trying them out on people

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
mancherter united problem, cavani problem, FA problem
i don't need your permision, manchester united permision, UK permision to use the word "negrito" in a non racist manner

deal with that

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
i need your permision in the uk? and i can`t call my brother "negrito" in the uk?
are you a guy with "special needs" or something?
Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Croydon, Peckham or Hackney to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby to ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

Do let me know when you're coming.

Last edited:

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
You do know that your argument should be applied to English people and the FA, not Cavani, right?

All of your words apply to little englanders. Not a multi lingual well travelled professional sportsman.

Because it sounds like you’ve turned into a parody of yourself inside a single paragraph.
I was using Cavani in this instance because obviously the thread is about what he wrote, but it could/should somehow apply in both directions and to everyone. The nature of the debate is complex and confusing and will be littered with contradictions. You would want some sort of 'decent' inclusivity to be one of the main guiding lights, but as a concept that's obviously quite windy and could easily be turned against itself.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
The word was used because in Spanish it means Black. Having derived from the word 'Niger', the Latin for 'Black' e.g. the Roman Emperor Gaius Pescennius Niger Justus -- A name I've always loved because via liberal translation the last two parts can be made to read 'Black Justice' or 'Black Righteousness', which basically sounds like a character from a 1970s Blaxploitation movie. :lol:

Just because some sodding, Northern European slaver decided to employ a loan word and it caught on, it doesn't mean we have the right to police how Spanish is spoken. It sounds bad in English because of how English speakers decided to use it. It does not have the same weight in Spanish. That's not to say Spanish is without racially charged words or that Iberia or Iberian America are bastions of tolerance. They got problems, just like everywhere else. The key thing however is that what Cavani said is not an example of those problems
I agree and ultimately feel 'punishing' him would be harsh. He took the post down so he's obviously been made aware how it can be interpreted.

If you are someone who does not "immediately understand the context", but who is nonetheless offended by the use of the word "negrito" (implying you consider it an offensive term), you're simply ignorant - surely?

If you know something about the potentially very problematic use of the term "negrito" as a term of endearment - you would not be offended by a random person using it (because it's incredibly widespread to the point of being generic - and it obviously is not "racist" in any meaningful sense per default).

Should English football take a stance against the use of a problematic (but incredibly widespread) term of endearment in another language?

Of course not. Other and far more qualified people than the FA should deal with this issue. Cavani hasn't done anything beyond using a perfectly normal (and non-controversial) term in his own language.
As I've previously said private institutions like the FA have their own guidelines so rightly or wrongly they will do what do. Some people - ignorantly or otherwise - will be offended or emotionally affected by it and with teams still taking the knee before every game I don't think the FA wants to have to deal with the 'controversy'.

Right, when there are shared words I'd agree. In the case of negro, definintely because it's been used in English in the past to describe people with dark skin. Negrito, on the other hand, is not a word I've heard used in English, so I wouldn't apply the same criteria to its use.

Here you are ascribing a literal translation to negrito, which is not absolute. This lack of understanding the nuances of idioms, is the root of the discussion.
The root word of Negrito is Negro tbf. But I did concede that the phrase in its' own cultural framework has a different meaning to the literal translation that is "little black person".

I'm actually surprised this thread has hit this many pages since yesterday. I haven't read much but how much discussion was there to be had!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Spoken to a Spanish guy at work and he reckons his gran used to call him the word (he’s white) as he has dark hair!

Cavani was chatting in his own language to a friend using a harmless term! Just cos it sounds like a racist word in this country is irrelevant!
I had a friend from Mexico everyone called ***** (don’t want an FA infraction, but it refers to the color white) because she’d been dyeing her hair platinum blonde since she was young. People on the fringes of our social circle might have barely even known her real name because she liked the nickname and it was used so commonly.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Aaah the Manchester United precedent, I look forward to the act of parliament!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The word negrito? I’ve heard of it less than a day, from what I’ve read from posters in this thread who are familiar with that language it can be used as an endearing term such as matey, the ito and ita can be added onto all kinds of words as a form of endearment, I seen a girls name as an example. Here it’s been added to the word black.

now people in Britain are trying to literally translate that into an English word that you can’t really do because it sounds like another word that shouldn’t be used here.

I may be wrong and we’ll off the mark but I mainly keep my opinions to myself instead of running around trying them out on people
Ok I'm just trying to figure out what it really means as everyone seems to say it has different meanings , and it's interesting you made no mention of it being connected to black.

Edit: I just seen it was added to the word 'black', obviously calling people by the colour of their skin isn't appropriate in the UK, but that's obviously different in Uruguay. I think both sides have an argument to make.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Sure, like the pig mounter.

You probably missed it but someone earlier made a story of having to explain he hadn't said the n-word but Schwarzenegger (never pronounced negger that way myself), then someone pointed out he got it the wrong way around (which I had never gathered despite being one of few words I know the meaning for).

The middle e screws it up a bit, but once seen it can't be unseen. Cheeky Arnie.
I did miss that. Point is the e and the n are actually part of the adjective Schwarzen. Trying to help you unsee it, I guess :)

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
What if i played for Madrid and replied cheers buddy to a friends congrats post and got sanctioned and banned because it sounded like a spanish curse word

We would all be saying how ridiculous this is

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I had a friend from Mexico everyone called ***** (don’t want an FA infraction, but it refers to the color white) because she’d been dyeing her hair platinum blonde since she was young. People on the fringes of our social circle might have barely even known her real name because she liked the nickname and it was used so commonly.
You can say Ivory dude.

Stacks

Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Croydon to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby too ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

Shut out to Croydon! We got whooped by Croydon Athletic once, with their mauve kits :mad:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Let's meet top next time you'er in London, I'll take you to Croydon to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby too ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

the thing you don't understand is that i wouldn't call "Negrito" to someone that will feel offended by it
as we, latin americans, tried to explain on this thread, is that we don't use it in an offensive manner and we wouldn't use it to a person that would be offended by it
BUT the idea that you, your goverment or the feck, has a say on how i call my friends, and has a right to teach the latin americans how to speak is stupid, xenophobist and dangerous

btw, if i go to england i will tell you, i will meet with you and i will call my brother "Negrito" because that's his nickname in front of anyone

Stacks

I agree and ultimately feel 'punishing' him would be harsh. He took the post down so he's obviously been made aware how it can be interpreted.

As I've previously said private institutions like the FA have their own guidelines so rightly or wrongly they will do what do. Some people - ignorantly or otherwise - will be offended or emotionally affected by it and with teams still taking the knee before every game I don't think the FA wants to have to deal with the 'controversy'.

The root word of Negrito is Negro tbf. But I did concede that the phrase in its' own cultural framework has a different meaning to the literal translation that is "little black person".

I'm actually surprised this thread has hit this many pages since yesterday. I haven't read much but how much discussion was there to be had!
Its an interesting topic with good points on both sides of the debate. Also people are shitting themselves at the prospect of an 8 game ban!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There's some weird cultural appropriation going on here by telling others of a different language what a word in their own language means.

I'm sure this can be cleared up using a native speaker or expert who can tell us more, not some twit who saw the word and felt a need to be outraged.
Been done about a million times...makes no difference if your mind's made up

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I am Uruguayan, same as Cavani, and probably the other person he is talking too...
Is England the law about how everyone in any country should communicate?
I mean, England will teach the world about not being racist? really?
Mate, don't try arguing with moral busybodies like him, it's not going to work.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
the thing you don't understand is that i wouldn't call "Negrito" to someone that will feel offended by it
as we, latin americans, tried to explain on this thread, is that we don't use it in an offensive manner and we wouldn't use it to a person that would be offended by it
BUT the idea that you, your goverment or the feck, has a say on how i call my friends, and has a right to teach the latin americans how to speak is stupid, xenophobist and dangerous

btw, if i go to england i will tell you, i will meet with you and i will call my brother "Negrito" because that's his nickname in front of anyone
I see where you are coming from and I think it's fair to say Cavani shouldn't have used the term on a public platform accessible to millions because of your reasoning. He has acknowledged and apologised so that should be the end of it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Ah. So not quite the billy big bollox after all. Thought so.
Inside the UK, you have to abide by its customs. Sorry, you dont get to decide.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Croydon, Peckham or Hackney to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby to ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

You can’t give him the ‘oh try and call my mates negrito and see what happens’ when you literally heard of it yesterday :lol: you’re awful passionate about a word you only heard of yesterday.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The breakdown of Arnold's last name is actually Schwarzen / egger, which probably means "black farmer".
The breakdown would be, more likely, Schwarzenegg / er

...meaning a person from Schwarzenegg.

Schwarz = black
Egg = potentially different meanings, but most likely "ridge" (it also means "edge", as in a knife's edge).

Schwarzenegger = a person from the black ridge (i.e. a person from a place - a farm, homestead - on or perhaps more likely under/below the black ridge).

Halftrack

Let's meet up next time you're in London, I'll take you to Peckham or Hackney to meet some of my mates and I'll watch you call them negrito. Ill make sure a policeman is also nearby too ajudicate. Let's see what happens shall we?

You're making an ass of yourself. Cavani didn't go up to some random BAME bloke and call him negrito, did he? No, he used it in an affectionate, harmless and completely appropriate manner to a fellow South American.

It's perfectly possible to see and acknowledge that the word can have some unfortunate connotations to people not familiar with it, and that it could come off as offensive, while also acknowledging that punishing a South American person for using a completely innocuous word in an affectionate manner towards a fellow South American is completely ludicrous.

You can't just go around punishing people because normal and inoffensive words in their language might look or sound offensive to a non-speaker.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ok I'm just trying to figure out what it really means as everyone seems to say it has different meanings , and it's interesting you made no mention of it being connected to black.

Edit: I just seen it was added to the word 'black', obviously calling people by the colour of their skin isn't appropriate in the UK, but that's obviously different in Uruguay. I think both sides have an argument to make.
But I did, I said the Ito is added to the word black.

I’m no expert on this, have no intention of ever using the word and think it’s all blown out of proportion, as usual these days

RedDevil@84

Because the word means different things in different parts of the world. The literal meaning is said to be "Little black people" in Spanish. There were black people in the non-African parts of the world who were shorter and this word originated in that context
As the word spread among multiple countries, some countries (like Uruguay) started using it as a word to mean pal/buddy or in some cases "dear"

The word as such does not have any context in England, except that the other N word in English is generally looked upon as a racist slur. Hence the debate.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
a mistake is to think that a contract can compel someone to stop talking in a perfect decent way
Wasting your time mate. There’s many in this this thread who are just way too virtuous for us mere primitive fools.

Imagine thinking you could speak freely in the UK... Silly boy Edinson!:nono:

There Isn’t an English translation, but because the word “negrito” is used people immediately lose their shit. He basically said “thanks mate”

If everything is racist, nothing is. Overuse creates indifference. People roll their eyes when they hear “racist” now, which takes away from actual racism, which is still very real & truly appalling.

jeff_goldblum

Context is everything, but that goes both ways.

On the one hand, apparently it's an acceptable term of endearment in Uruguay* and he pretty clearly used it in that context. He wasn't using it to intentionally abuse or belittle a black person. He's not Suarez, who used unambiguously racial language to abuse a black man. On the other hand, he's not in Uruguay now. He lives and works in the UK, represents an English club (and by extension, English football) and with that comes an expectatation to respect British cultural norms, one of which is "it's not acceptable to use racial epithets". I don't think that, as a very well-travelled guy who has lived in 3 different European countries and who likely followed the Suarez incident more closely than most, he can reasonably claim to be ignorant of the connotations of the word he used and the potential for offence/harm.

Which is all to say, he only has himself to blame if he gets a ban. Clearly what he's done is not at all comparable to what Suarez did, so it would chafe it he received anywhere near the same punishment, but Suarez got off ludicrously lightly all things considered. I wouldn't be surprised or feel aggrieved if he got 2-3 games.

* I would be interested to hear how Black Uruguayans/Black Latin Americans generally feel about that, however, because aside from the people in here defending Cavani, and those who came out to defend Suarez back in the day (when they were lying about what he said), I've seen no evidence that the term has been shorn of its racial connotations or meaning.

Last edited:

VojjE

Are you implying the people living in Croydon, Peckham or Hackney are prone to violence or abuse that warrants having police interference from words of a stranger? Or are you saying that it would warrant an arrest if he said it to your friends? And why would a police officer ajudicate? Not their job at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.