FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

Bloody hell. 46 pages haha
Would have been half of it, if one poster did not keep saying that words in other languages that sound like racist slurs in English should all be taken off that language. And also that whoever does not agree with him are racists.

Stacks

Cavani posted a pic with him. He’s white.
Well ain't that some shit. It clearly has no relevance to his racial identity which was the only potential contentious thing here. Are Spanish speakers allowed to refer to a persons physical characteristics whilst speaking Spanish in the UK, which is normal for them? well this does not apply so it is kinda silly that we have taken up so many pages about a white Latin-American using a term of endearment to another white Latin-American, because non Latin American's have decided on its translation and meaning. "dios mio!"

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The left are the ones who demand the hate speech laws and that context shouldn't matter when it comes to language, and try to not only police it but try to change it. Why do you think we now use terms for jobs originally denoting a male member of staff as neutral terms, and stop using the female? Why are we now told to use terms like BAME or person of colour? That comes from the far left. Sammsky is displaying all the tell tale signs.
you are being told because the English language as used in UK is riddled with terms that originated in misogyny, racism and white male supremacy. That may have been perfectly acceptable during the 20th century and before, but majority society has now decided that it isn't. So the expression of the language will now go through an adjustment, as those terms and descriptors are exposed and people happy to be educated accepting to change and it being normal for the younger generation .

I voted for Corbyn in the last election but those in that thread will know I was the most reluctant of leftists in that thread. However racism, yeah, I'm proud to be an extremist anti racist.

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I also stated that in one of my first posts in this thread, Id rather he isn't banned but asked to attend some awareness education (which Im sure the club will now enforce on every single member of staff. A shame Redcafe members cant also gave that enforced too!)
If we are sending people on awareness courses for lack of understanding maybe you should go on one for thinking people on benefits are lazy scroungers who should work harder.

RedDevil@84

The Guardian saying an automatic three match ban if found guilty.
I wonder what is meant by "guilty" here.

He is guilty of posting a word that sounds similar to a racist word in English on social media.

He is not guilty of abusing someone racially, be it in real or social media.

And then there is this whole issue of Bernardo Silva getting only one match ban for putting out a tweet which looked much more racial than what Cavani did. And it was to a fellow player and not to some random guy on Insta.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If we are sending people on awareness courses for lack of understanding maybe you should go on one for thinking people on benefits are lazy scroungers who should work harder.
sure. go for it.

PS: you really want to go there? really?

The problem with the woke is that their propensity for being offended is matched only by their adeptness at kicking up a fuss over very little. They have a mastery of manipulating language to not only to create controversy in the first place, but also to shut down any reasoned debate.

And for a group/movement that tends to get offended on behalf of minority groups, it's ironic that as a minority themselves they appear to get their own fecking way so often.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
sure. go for it. I pay enough taxes anyway.
All I’m saying is if you’re all for considering how things can offend or damage others maybe consider how you view large swathes of our population and how damaging your view of them is. Or are we just interested in the things you care about.

Stacks

I fear this honest error by Cavani (I believe him) is going to cost him a ban.

Agree with Gary Neville, maybe training of this nature should be done to educate players, and also to avoid situations like this.

FFS we need Cavani man!
it will never work. there are 7000 languages and words and phrases mean different things the world over. Its literally an impossible task. You would need to know every phrase in every country and every region and what that translates to in every other country. Also phrases have different meanings even in the same country. Its a thankless task because we all speak different the world over. There is no education when it comes to how others use language. Too much nuance exists to have a robust, reliable system.

tomaldinho1

Would have been half of it, if one poster did not keep saying that words in other languages that sound like racist slurs in English should all be taken off that language. And also that whoever does not agree with him are racists.
That was a personal highlight. The mental gymnastics to come up with that as a solution to racism is better than any of the dross we've seen on the Ole In or Out thread.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
All I’m saying is if you’re all for considering how things can offend or damage others maybe consider how you view large swathes of our population and how damaging your view of them is. Or are we just interested in the things you care about.
Obviously Im interested in things I care about. Whats so controversial about that?
My previous comment wasn't based on race, which is what is problematic in this thread.

Halftrack

Biden is an enabler and engages in their tactics but whatever. You know damn well it's what they say and do.
Who are these radical leftists, and what are their tactics?

Any time I see anyone refer to the "radical left", those they're referring to are never radical, and almost never on the left.

South American Twitter blowing up with fury. According to Reddit, Cavani's been trending all day long.

Just a couple of the most upvoted ones under Cavani's apology, translated:

You really have to explain to those English murderers, usurpers, human rights invaders what you mean by a WORD to your friend!?!?
This is what they think of us. Their culture - where they fight every day about race and sex and everything in between - is 'enlightened' and ours where we do not discriminate in our words or actions is 'backwards'
The English have imported America's racial panic and you will suffer for it. A perfect reputation, built over many years, that they will have no issue destroying to appease their paranoia
Wonderful. They are eliminating racism by saying that their culture is superior and we aren't welcome to speak freely
It's opening a huge can of worms, and rightly so.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Apparently this isn't the first time there's been controversy over the use of this word. Came across this article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...grita-in-latin-culture-after-j-lo-controversy

Turns out, according to Latina professors, not everybody in the Latin world see's it the same way and that there are people who find it derogatory. Thought as much, I mean it doesn't take much fecking imagination!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Really? Why? I've never even been to Ireland.
I've no idea to be honest. This forum has a lot of Irish posters on it so I guess I must subconsciously got into my head somehow.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Obviously Im interested in things I care about. Whats so controversial about that?
My previous comment wasn't based on race, which is what is problematic in this thread.
So you’re picking and choosing what groups you want to care about because you’ve been very clear that you don’t give a shit about the millions of poor people in our country.

All I’m saying is it’s a bit rich to come in defending the downtrodden if it’s only the downtrodden you fancy defending

MTF

it will never work. there are 7000 languages and words and phrases mean different things the world over. Its literally an impossible task. You would need to know every phrase in every country and every region and what that translates to in every other country. Also phrases have different meanings even in the same country. Its a thankless task because we all speak different the world over. There is no education when it comes to how others use language. Too much nuance exists to have a robust, reliable system.
This right here. Its not a feasible task even if you had infinite money.

Foxbatt

Education Gary? Where were you when Ian Wright was racially abused when he was playing for the England national team? You sat down next to him in the dressing room even at half time and showed him no support. That's racial abuse. Cavani issue is not.
You should get an education in culture of other countries.
Now if not only Cavani but anyone had said that in a different context I would very strongly urge the authorities to take action.

Pagh Wraith

Wonder what Cavani makes of this. He must feel like in a bad movie. The one group I feel should be somewhat offended here are Spanish-speaking/Latin people around the world if he does get banned.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So you’re picking and choosing what groups you want to care about because you’ve been very clear that you don’t give a shit about the millions of poor people in our country.

All I’m saying is it’s a bit rich to come in defending the downtrodden if it’s only the downtrodden you fancy defending
I voted for Corbyn and pay more taxes than most. Clearly I give a shit.
Also this is pathetic false equivalence. Having a political or socio-economic opinion isn't outlawed or regulated. Using languages that can discriminate is.

Rajma

South American Twitter blowing up with fury. According to Reddit, Cavani's been trending all day long.

Only ignorant and stupid person could not see it coming. Idiots like Gary Neville with educational rhetoric do not help either and the less said about the likes of Sammsky the better as these type of people have little self awareness when they spread their ignorance and language supremacy with such a hateful tone.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Apparently this isn't the first time there's been controversy over the use of this word. Came across this article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...grita-in-latin-culture-after-j-lo-controversy

Turns out, according to Latina professors, not everybody in the Latin world see's it the same way and that there are people who find it derogatory. Thought as much, I mean it doesn't take much fecking imagination!
They made the same mistake by taking it as a literal translation, likely because it supports their argument. They should ask the songwroting tea, which included J-Lo to confirm what the term means as its use there really leans toward sweetheart, rather than little black girl.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Bang on! especially the bit about so-called 'enlightened' West.

Halftrack

Is he actually going to get banned? Surely they need to take into consideration his culture etc and what was meant. Fine him or make him take an educational course but a ban seems really harsh.
The rule is so vague and wishy-washy that it's impossible to know. It's about not acting "in any manner that is improper or brings the game into disrepute", where a racial component would be considered aggravating and lead to a longer ban.

The rule itself calls for a one-game ban, three games if it involves racism. I can't for the life of me see how the FA could consider it racist, given that the term isn't inherently racist, and the person he said it to isn't black, but I don't trust the FA not to consider it as such.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I voted for Corbyn and pay more taxes than most. Clearly I give a shit.
Also this is pathetic false equivalence. Having a political or socio-economic opinion isn't outlawed or regulated. Using languages that can discriminate is.
It’s not a false equivalence, forget the law stop pretending you give a shit, you’re just taking the moral high ground despite admitting in the past poor people need to work harder and you don’t want them to take your tax money because they’re lazy. Just as fecking bad a point of view as being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.