FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Good tunes indeed :cool:
feck yes. Enjoy him before Sammy and his princesses cancel him.

My girl always asks how I find so many different musical sounds. I am going to be so proud to tell her my racisms got me this new artist.

Will Singh

So just reading the comments on Cavani Facebook post, mostly from he’s native country, it’s a way they greet each other to show affection. Cultures have a different way to express there feelings and if calling a friend “blacky” is there way then who are we to judge?

“You alright Mush” I know someone from another part of the world got offended being called Mush. Why, who knows but now I know I won’t be using it around him.....

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
it is a crazy thread. I was immediately attacked by hotheaded Latino culture lovers for expressing exactly the same opinion. They focus on that he didn’t mean anything racist which I don’t contest, but completely ignore the fact that we Cavani faces potential 3-match ban. United supporters turned into South American culture “defenders“ on the United forum.

the club might lose an important player for three matches in December when we need as many players as possible. It is a fact. Cavani or any other celebrity in a multicultural environment like Instagram and EPL should pay attention to what they post.

I don’t give a shit what his words mean, I am concerned with the consequences.
The problem is that there are too many people on here that are always desperate to cry about how overly sensitive people are these days and all that sort of thing, so simply stating a totally reasonable post like yours (and IMO the most sensible way to talk about this situation) immediately gets jumped on, and any reasonable level headed discussion is impossible.

Revan

Assumptionman
Btw @sammsky1 , can I continue calling my Catalan boss (and good friend) ‘chica’ or I should stop doing so cause it is close to English word ‘chick’ which can be degoratory or even misogynistic?

Do I need some education about it?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nothing Cavani said was racist, he was communicating with a good friend on Instagram. So yeah you and Neville who has no mind of his own and says exactly what Sky want him to say, can go do one.
Given his age and experience he really should know better. If he want's to communicate with a good friend, drop him a quick call or email but given the profile of the Suarez situation (having shared the same national team) then he must have known saying Negreto is off limits regardless of the context. Why would a high profile player communicate with a good friend publicly on Insta ?

Moby

Dick
Yeah, it’s the FA, Manchester United football club, Gary Neville and many other authorities that stand for anti racism are the ones having the meltdown.

Certainly not those trying to justify language that was created during white supremacy era. :houllier:

Absolutely spot on over there by Gary and agree with every word he says. People really need to read the words No Room for Racism and put that into their heads. There's no place for context or intentions when it comes to abolishing any terms with any potential racist connotations whatsoever. We are deep into cancel culture. Any guy with a few thousand Twitter followers understands the consequences of posting something remotely controversial in a public sphere let alone a footballer with a worldwide following who now also plays for one of the most popular clubs in the world. Footballers are not beyond that code of conduct and if a player cannot understand such basic norms and how to abide by them without fail then I'm all for punishing them as severely as possible till they start taking the reach social media gives them seriously.

fergieisold

Just say you are offended and Gary will have to apologise to you, whilst undergoing a special "educational" course. Seems to work a treat.
what’s scary is people are really being misled and manipulated by social media. Cavani has done nothing wrong, at all, and people are being fed a crap line about supposed racism off the back of the BLM campaign

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Judging by this latest controversy, it is no surprise Alvaro Negredo had such a tormented time in England.

Can imagine the FA launching an inquiry because of the big Negredo on the back of his shirt.

Btw @sammsky1 , can I continue calling my Catalan boss (and good friend) ‘chica’ or I should stop doing so cause it is close to English word ‘chick’ which can be degoratory or even misogynistic?

Talk how you want with your friends and in your personal life.

If you ever find yourself in a job that is subject to the FA rules in England and you become a public figure in England then obviously be professional on work related platforms and adhere to the expected standards here.

Easy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Plastic hamburgers is awesome.
Yeah I’m all in. Looks like it’ll be a deep dive. Plenty of albums on Spotify. Just clocked that he was sampled on a DJ Shadow track. Knew there was at least a familiar element in there.

Thread is salvaged.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
it is a crazy thread. I was immediately attacked by hotheaded Latino culture lovers for expressing exactly the same opinion. They focus on that he didn’t mean anything racist which I don’t contest, but completely ignore the fact that we Cavani faces potential 3-match ban. United supporters turned into South American culture “defenders“ on the United forum.

the club might lose an important player for three matches in December when we need as many players as possible. It is a fact. Cavani or any other celebrity in a multicultural environment like Instagram and EPL should pay attention to what they post.

I don’t give a shit what his words mean, I am concerned with the consequences.
In fairness if the words don;t mean anything offensive how can there be consequences?

With that in mind we are all jumping the gun here. The FA are going to investigate the comments. If (and yeah it's probably a very big if) they are sensible, they'll engage someone with an intrinsic understanding of the language who will tell them that it's a well meaning comment that is consistently made to a dear friend. If they sit in a board room and type it into Google translate, then we might have a problem.

spiriticon

The funny thing is that I've been seriously offended by Gary Neville on so many occasions, and yet here he is.. still not cancelled by Sky Sports.

Why is that?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Given his age and experience he really should know better. If he want's to communicate with a good friend, drop him a quick call or email but given the profile of the Suarez situation (having shared the same national team) then he must have known saying Negreto is off limits regardless of the context. Why would a high profile player communicate with a good friend publicly on Insta ?
Suarez..... didn't ..... say..... negrita ......

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

So just reading the comments on Cavani Facebook post, mostly from he’s native country, it’s a way they greet each other to show affection. Cultures have a different way to express there feelings and if calling a friend “blacky” is there way then who are we to judge?

“You alright Mush” I know someone from another part of the world got offended being called Mush. Why, who knows but now I know I won’t be using it around him.....
He's only sorry because he got caught

let's see if anyone bites.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I’d love him to come out fully British.

“Lads Lads Lads. Sorry about the Negrito, but did any of you Cnuts see that second header”

ThinkTank@Cafe

In fairness if the words don;t mean anything offensive how can there be consequences?

With that in mind we are all jumping the gun here. The FA are going to investigate the comments. If (and yeah it's probably a very big if) they are sensible, they'll engage someone with an intrinsic understanding of the language who will tell them that it's a well meaning comment that is consistently made to a dear friend. If they sit in a board room and type it into Google translate, then we might have a problem.
This is exactly what I fear they will do. it is FA, man, come on :D

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Cavani’s response and explanation is perfectly fine. I truly believe he responded without knowing the Ik context at that moment. However he will face some sanctions as FA has its pre set regulations.

Responses by some in this thread however leaves a lot to be desired vs 2020 UK cultural norms. Some seem to believe the things they learned growing up are somehow acceptable. Up to them if they want to change in personal lives or when posting anonymously on a forum.

But as Cavani found out, it won’t be tolerated whatsoever in any professional or regulated environment. Denigrate it as political correctness if you like but that tide and turned and times are thankfully changing.

Last edited:

cyberman

Yeah, it’s the FA, Manchester United football club, Gary Neville and many other authorities that stand for anti racism are the ones having the meltdown.

Certainly not those trying to justify language that was created during white supremacy era. :houllier:

You literally spat on a child Jamie..

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The funny thing is that I've been seriously offended by Gary Neville on so many occasions, and yet here he is.. still not cancelled by Sky Sports.

Why is that?
He provides the bosses a service that many would consider themselves above. He's very effective with his mouth by all accounts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Dunno . Start a thread and see if anyone gives a shit?

UnrelatedPsuedo

No. You should stop that because it’s corny.
xxx

fergieisold

The problem is that there are too many people on here that are always desperate to cry about how overly sensitive people are these days and all that sort of thing, so simply stating a totally reasonable post like yours (and IMO the most sensible way to talk about this situation) immediately gets jumped on, and any reasonable level headed discussion is impossible.
I agree with the worry over the ban, but you can’t seriously think there’s any case to answer here for Cavani?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Suarez..... didn't ..... say..... negrita ......
Yes I know he didn't.

My point is that Cavani really should know better. Ok let's put it another way, if you think a word could be taken out of context, don't use it publicly as that completely avoids it being taken out of context.

If some random comments on his instagram all he needs to say is words to that effect 'cheers mate' and there is no issue. No potential for a ban, nobody taking it out of context, no 45 page thread on a forum, nothing.

Not for one minute do I believe it was racist directly, implied or whatever. No doubt it was meant with the very best intentions. I am not an expert on south american culture or dialect but you have to be pretty naive to think using that word isn't leaving you open to some form of interpretation.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ok, i think we can agree on a couple of things

1. That phrase is common/acceptable in South America
2. Its not acceptable in the UK
3. Cavani is from South America
4. But he works in the UK now and represents an English club

Its an honest mistake born out of lack of knowledge, but its also tone deaf and a bit daft from Cavani.

To put it this way, when you travel to a different country you should read up a bit on customs and norms. What is customary in one part of the world might be totally unacceptable in another and a lack of knowledge does not mean people wont get offended. For example the "V" sign wont bother most people, but someone from bosnia is going to be pissed (or so i've heard)

Tibs

I fear this honest error by Cavani (I believe him) is going to cost him a ban.

Agree with Gary Neville, maybe training of this nature should be done to educate players, and also to avoid situations like this.

FFS we need Cavani man!

Rajma

Look at him smiling after he just racially humiliated a person next to him, that wouldn't fly in Croydon.

Fridge chutney

Who? Who would be offended? Everyone I know is taking the piss and laughing about it. The last time any of us heard this was when Suarez tried to pretend he didn’t say Negro.

Negrito doesn’t mean ‘Little Black’. If you’re not smart enough to understand languages, you shouldn’t comment. There must be loads of other stuff you’re knowledgeable about. Talk about them instead.
Yeah the literal translations are not necessarily helpful for this discussion. For example,

Dar papaya = to make yourself prone to being taken advantage of. The literal translation is to give papaya, but the meaning has nothing to do with fruit.

Pilas pues = pay attention/be alert. Literal meaning is "batteries then", which obviously makes no sense.

Language is all about context, and reductionist arguments aren't helpful in my opinion.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
That nobody on the left or right is asking for.

He’s just some chap on a beach. While people are shouting the tides coming in. He swears he doesn’t care. His feet are wet now. Still doesn’t care. Now his clothes. “Clothes are supposed to get wet”. It’s up to his neck
Now. People are asking if he wants help. Now he finds a snorkel. “Look how smart I am”. Three chilly hours underwater. The sun goes down. He waits. The tide begins to recede. He removes his snorkel triumphantly. Everyone has gone home. He goes to phone a friend. His phone is destroyed. A woman walks past walking her dog. “I TOLD YOU I DIDN’T NEED TO MOVE!” She has headphones on. She turns up the volume. Her song makes her feel safer. Fantastic Negrito always does.
The left are the ones who demand the hate speech laws and that context shouldn't matter when it comes to language, and try to not only police it but try to change it. Why do you think we now use terms for jobs originally denoting a male member of staff as neutral terms, and stop using the female? Why are we now told to use terms like BAME or person of colour? That comes from the far left. Sammsky is displaying all the tell tale signs.

fergieisold

Yes I know he didn't.

My point is that Cavani really should know better. Ok let's put it another way, if you think a word could be taken out of context, don't use it publicly as that completely avoids it being taken out of context.

If some random comments on his instagram all he needs to say is words to that effect 'cheers mate' and there is no issue. No potential for a ban, nobody taking it out of context, no 45 page thread on a forum, nothing.

Not for one minute do I believe it was racist directly, implied or whatever. No doubt it was meant with the very best intentions. I am not an expert on south american culture or dialect but you have to be pretty naive to think using that word isn't leaving you open to some form of interpretation.
Know better that a bunch of keyboard warriors are gonna label him a racist? Feck that.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I'm not a black Uruguayan, but I do remember reading the accounts of a few back when the Suarez saga went down and he was claiming to have said negrito. Anecdotal and all that, but from what I remember they were generally okay with friends using it. If a white or light-skinned person they didn't know referred to them as such, they'd see it as, at the very least, condescending. I specifically remember talking to one, on another forum, who said that white and light-skinned Uruguayans are generally not very receptive to the idea that black Uruguayans might not want to be referred to as "negrito" by strangers. That was just one person, speaking for himself and his group, so I don't know if that's a widely held view among Uruguay's black population.

The word has different connotations in different parts of Latin America (though generally positive), and Uruguay is one of the countries where you're most likely to get a negative reception for referring to a black person, with whom you're not familiar, using the word.

Oh no, the scary radical leftists. What, like Joe Biden?
Biden is an enabler and engages in their tactics but whatever. You know damn well it's what they say and do.

Status
Not open for further replies.