FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

Nobody is saying dont follow the rules. What is being said is that this doesnt fall under those regulations.
Its like being done for drink driving for getting into a taxi just because a car is involved.
Fair enough. That's why I said earlier i hope the FA takes context into consideration.

Smores

People acting like the English couldn't possibly understand that some terms are also used as an endearment :lol:

Yeah lads, we had those two we just mainly stopped using them in the 80s. Nobody has a right to join an organisation and impose their own culture into guidelines, if he's broken FA guidelines on inappropriate language then he'll be punished and that's that.

TLDR: I’m on your side of the argument so don’t lump me in with the FA and other “typical English”.
Well it is mate, I’m as English as it gets but this is typically English, has been for centuries since the Empire. We (and especially the aristocracy) love to tell other cultures how to behave and the “proper way”.
Just cause it’s typically English doesn’t tar all English with that brush (like you and myself).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's a new low when society wants to regulate how two friends communicate with each other.
We use the word "kala" in my native language as a nickname, it means black. It never refers to skin tone, it's like calling someone in the family "Greeny" or "Chief". It's a term of affection and has no racial connotation or meaning.

Drawing offence out of something like this is exactly what the bad faith actors use to bolster their belief that "political correctness has gone mad" and allows them to dismiss racism as a small problem blown out of proportion by "lefties" rather than the systemic plague it is.
If you want to communicate with your friend, text your friend. Once you post it for the world to see on a social media account, you're no longer just communicating with your friend, you're communicating with everyone who can see your post.

And if you're a PL footballer, you're now falling under the FA's social media guidelines. Which means you're operating under a different standard than if you were having a private conversation with your friend.

Framing it as just being two friends talking is disingenuous, as it willfully ignores how social media works.

DoomSlayer

Fair enough. That's why I said earlier i hope the FA takes context into consideration.
You said far more than that and your analogies point out your limited understanding of your surroundings. That remark about "Rome" wasn't smart at all.

Tony247

You said far more than that and your analogies point out your limited understanding of your surroundings. That remark about "Rome" wasn't smart at all.
I was expanding on idiom "when you are in Rome..." from an expat/visitor point of view. But yeh, should have avoided analogies. Sometimes they get misinterpreted.

Last edited:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I am Uruguayan, same as Cavani, and probably the other person he is talking too...
Is England the law about how everyone in any country should communicate?
I mean, England will teach the world about not being racist? really?
applauses!!!

btw, i'm south american, and proud of that, we use the physiognomy of people to make nick names, is not only based on race (which we don't see as something low but something different and is perfectly fine), we hav thousands of examples in football
"Cabezón (big head) Ruggeri", "flaco (skinny) Menotti" "Narigón (big nose) Bilardo" "Pelado (baldy) Almeyda" "Negro Enrique" "chino Tapia" "la bruja (witch for his nose) Berti"

the thing that you are trying to impose a whole continent to change it's ways because of what YOU did, is not in itself hypocritical, but another way of YOU thinking YOU are better than us

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s not that mate. It’s the disingenuous linking of Cavani to Suarez.

Suarez behaved in a racist manner to Evra. A 7 figure cost was attached to litigating that.

Some kind of nonsensical false narrative has been allowed to exist that runs along the lines of “Suarez got banned for saying it and called a racist”

Nobody reads the findings. He didn’t get a ban for uttering a word. It was his behaviour.
I'm not likening the two incidents, more fans' all-knowing reactions. Clearly Cavani wasn't abusing the guy, so we just have to hope he doesn't get banned.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
You can be left wing & still be against cancel culture & believe political correctness has gone too far.
You can call yourself left-wing, doesn't mean you are. If you think "cancel culture & pc" have gone too far on a macrostructural level, I would really need to see your positions on other stuff in order to accept you are actually on the left.
On a microstructural level, have things gone too far anecdotally? Almost certainly, but there are always extreme singular examples you can cite for everything in life.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Will be banned purely because the FA will want to be seen to be doing something.

If I were a Uruguayan (in fact given the word is used in Mexico, we're talking about an entire continent here) I'd be pretty offended that a country that speaks another language is basically banning a word that is being used in this context as a term of endearment. It's all about context. Suarez said it to a non Latin player and in a scenario that no one would describe as amicable, Cavani is saying it to a fan who is praising his performance.

If Simeone comes to the PL one day, are we going to ban everyone calling him Cholo? It's origin comes from the mixing of two races and is exactly the same as 'half-caste' (which is an abhorrent word) but because it doesn't directly use a latin word for a colour in it's stem we're not bothered. The crazy thing is negro is a Spanish/Portguese word that we adopted given we already had our own word for the colour black so essentially Cavani is being told by someone who doesn't speak his language, that a word that originates from his mother tongue and has been adopted by English doesn't mean what he (and billions of others) think it does and is racist regardless of any context.
The irony is you hear English commentators saying 'Cholo Simeone' all the time and nobody bats an eye.

Its actually quite surprising how superior some people are being on this issue. Its been a reminder that, for some people, only their native cultural context matters: The history and experience of other people, which shapes their cultures and their language, doesn't matter.

As I said elsewhere on the CAF its laughably ironic to see twitter aflame today with people, many of whom couldn't find Uruguay on a map, telling Cavani how to use a language they obviously don't speak and have no intention of learning.

DoomSlayer

applauses!!!

btw, i'm south american, and proud of that, we use the physiognomy of people to make nick names, is not only based on race (which we don't see as something low but something different and is perfectly fine), we hav thousands of examples in football
"Cabezón (big head) Ruggeri", "flaco (skinny) Menotti" "Narigón (big nose) Bilardo" "Pelado (baldy) Almeyda" "Negro Enrique" "chino Tapia" "la bruja (witch for his nose) Berti"

the thing that you are trying to impose a whole continent to change it's ways because of what YOU did, is not in itself hypocritical, but another way of YOU thinking YOU are better than us
On point. Some great comments amongst this ridiculous situation. Those things have to be said, even if the truth is harsh to some people.

bsCallout

People acting like the English couldn't possibly understand that some terms are also used as an endearment :lol:

Yeah lads, we had those two we just mainly stopped using them in the 80s. Nobody has a right to join an organisation and impose their own culture into guidelines, if he's broken FA guidelines on inappropriate language then he'll be punished and that's that.
It's not inappropriate language when it is a different language.

Had he been speaking english and said the N word in English there would be no arguement. But he used a word that in his language doesn't translate to be offensive.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's a new low when society wants to regulate how two friends communicate with each other.
We use the word "kala" in my native language as a nickname, it means black. It never refers to skin tone, it's like calling someone in the family "Greeny" or "Chief". It's a term of affection and has no racial connotation or meaning.

Drawing offence out of something like this is exactly what the bad faith actors use to bolster their belief that "political correctness has gone mad" and allows them to dismiss racism as a small problem blown out of proportion by "lefties" rather than the systemic plague it is.

;)

bsCallout

You can call yourself left-wing, doesn't mean you are. If you think "cancel culture & pc" have gone too far on a macrostructural level, I would really need to see your positions on other stuff in order to accept you are actually on the left.
On a microstructural level, have things gone too far anecdotally? Almost certainly, but there are always extreme singular examples you can cite for everything in life.
Couldnt disagree more. Im also left leaning and deem it to have gone too far. Although perhaps there is a distinction between gone too far and gets too much coverage.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Alright you can go down that route, but one of the hardest things in life is drawing lines.

This is ok, this is not ok. It is always easier to say no or yes to all.

The next situation that turns up you need to make a decision with this and all other decisions to work off of. Once you get into gray areas there are always people who push for either side.

I doubt the FA wants to be in that position.
So a Football Association should opine on the language of a few hundred million people. That’s the position it wants to be in?

Because you’re arguing in favour of the very thing you’re arguing against.

In the same post.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Utterly ridiculous !!

In South american society and culture what he said is not considered offensive at all.

FA just move on or else fine and suspend Klopp for the many times he said offensive things and never got banned.

So stupid.

Pagh Wraith

Political correctness as a concept (so yes on a macrostructual level) is a terrible idea from the start. This should not be a left vs right issue. It is however a liberal vs authoritarian one.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
applauses!!!

No, England isn’t the law about what’s racist or not but it’s unacceptable to come up with a taunting nickname based on a persons race, religion, sexual orientation etc. and doesn’t even fecking compare to one about the size of their head or even weight. Skinny people haven’t got a history of targeted genocide.

It’s 2020. Our racists get banned from stadiums, it sounds like yours are widely accepted just because it’s casual and ‘harmless’.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They'll make an example out of him.
They won’t

If they find him guilty of breaching social media guidelines, he’ll get an appropriate sanction. The others of late have received a one match ban and I think that’s what will happen here

Bullshit @krautrøck, I fecking hate this PC culture but I love living in open Sweden and loved Sweden and Germany for opening their arms to hundreds of thousands in 2015, whilst country after country (my homeland UK for one) turned their backs.
I hate borders, man made bullshit from centuries past that imprison us all in someway shape or form, and of course, it’s always the poorest that are the most imprisoned by it.
PC bollocks has nothing to do with being left or right, it’s quite simply “bollocks” that many who don’t want to do the right thing (open borders, welcome all) want to use to show they behave “properly” and care.

Rajma

Oh so left-wing Redcafe usually showing its colors when threads like this come along.
feck me, I’m probably as left leaning as any but I also have a brain that helps to apply the context in various situations. Everything doesn’t have to be black and white ffs.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
No, England isn’t the law about what’s racist or not but it’s unacceptable to come up with a taunting nickname based on a persons race, religion, sexual orientation etc. and doesn’t even fecking compare to one about the size of their head or even weight. Skinny people haven’t got a history of targeted genocide.

It’s 2020. Our racists get banned from stadiums, it sounds like yours are widely accepted just because it’s casual and ‘harmless’.
i didn't say is casual or harmless, i said is not racism
we don't think of a black person as a lower kind, is just a person who happens to be black
that's all
the fact that for centuries in europe and north america black people were treated as flawed doesnt affect us in the same way
you did it, not us
and, i assure you that my black friends or the friends we call black wont like that we stop calling them "black" because of what you in the north think
if that happens, then is going to be about race

tomaldinho1

This is bringing back bad memories of when I was at school and a girl overheard me talking to a mate about Arnold Schwarzenegger, and thought I'd said the 'n word'. Threatened to tell the teachers!

Spent the whole day thinking I was going to get expelled and sent to prison or something for being labelled a racist. Obviously nothing to do with this incident, just triggered an uncomfortable memory.

Although, I guess if you use it as a metaphor, Liverpool fans would be that girl right now.

I really hope she went to Uni and contracted a really bad case of herpes! Knowing how the universe works though, she's probably a higher up in the foreign office or something :(
The ironic thing being the part of the word she was offended by, is not the part that literally translates as 'black'.

Rajma

What’s FA has to do with anything here at all? It involved an action outside of the pitch/conferences and for all we know it was directed to someone in close circles to him those if there was any racism on the display it should be dealt by police first and foremost.

pablo__p

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

This is akin to friends sitting in a coffee shop and talking to each other in a way they both accept and also in a way that is common in their countries.

Also, is every case when a black person calls another black person the n-word also being investigated?

Unbelievable this is even a thing.

EireRed_GS

So wait, was he referring to us wearing the black kit?

I dont understand why else he would say that in a post about scoring a goal/ winning the game.

*Edit. ah just seeing the comments about apparently what he said loosely translates to 'my friend' in Uruguay? :confused:
If so, this is surely gonna throw up some massive arguments why its ok for Cavani to use it but not Suarez. :nervous:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
After the Suarez saga you would have thought Cavani or his team (not sure who actually posted it) would know better.

Judas

Open to offers

I dont understand why else he would say that in a post about scoring a goal/ winning the game.

*Edit. ah just seeing the comments about apparently what he said loosely translates to 'my friend' in Uruguay? :confused:
If so, this is surely gonna throw up some massive arguments why its ok for Cavani to use it but not Suarez. :nervous:
Not really because the context of the two situations couldn't be more different. You'd have to be looking for an argument to think they're even slightly alike.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
[

Suarez used a different word.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

This is akin to friends sitting in a coffee shop and talking to each other in a way they both accept and also in a way that is common in their countries.

Also, is every case when a black person calls another black person the n-word also being investigated?

Unbelievable this is even a thing.
No, it isn't. It's akin to friends screaming at each other across a coffee shop so that everyone in the building can hear what they're saying, with one of the friends having strict what-you-can-scream-in-a-coffee-shop rules to abide by.

Social media isn't a private conversation. If footballers don't understand that then they will keep running into problems. Bernardo Silva seemed to have a similar problem wrapping his head around the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.