FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

I cant understand why some people are arguing in favor of Cavani
Ignorance is not excuse
The word is not acceptable in the UK and it is not a word anyone of us would use, its like we are not allowed to drink in public in Dubai
We were all against Suarez for using the word against Evra so I'm sure Cavani should have been aware
I've got Zero-Tolerance for any kind of Racism, not that I think that Cavani was being racist but he should not be using the word here
Its a stipulated 3 game ban so lets just accept it and move on
Well perhaps try and understand.
This is just a stupid argument, it is not a good word to use whether its Spanish or English
Child abuse or domestic violence are allowed in some countries but it does not make it right
its not a good word to use and if He wasn't a united player we wouldn't be having this conversation,
and although I love united to bits, as some one who has zero tolerance towards Racism I would be disappointed if He doesn't get a ban or at least a fine and some education
You might have just won with the worst arguement and false equivelance in this thread.

SuperiorXI

United statement

"Edinson Cavani has issued a sincere apology for a social media post after Sunday’s game against Southampton.

The Uruguayan striker said: “The message I posted after the match on Sunday was intended as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game. The last thing I wanted to do was cause offence to anyone. I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as it was explained that it can be interpreted differently. I would like to sincerely apologise for this.”

In a statement, Manchester United said: “It is clear to us that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind Edinson’s message and he deleted it as soon as he was informed that it could be misconstrued. Edinson has issued an apology for any unintentional offence caused. Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism.”
Good statement from the club. It's unfortunate that a word in a different language that has no English meaning can be misconstrued but hey ho...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
United statement

"Edinson Cavani has issued a sincere apology for a social media post after Sunday’s game against Southampton.

The Uruguayan striker said: “The message I posted after the match on Sunday was intended as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game. The last thing I wanted to do was cause offence to anyone. I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as it was explained that it can be interpreted differently. I would like to sincerely apologise for this.”

In a statement, Manchester United said: “It is clear to us that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind Edinson’s message and he deleted it as soon as he was informed that it could be misconstrued. Edinson has issued an apology for any unintentional offence caused. Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism.”
Very glad that Cavani admits he can’t use this word in a U.K. context and can now understand why it would be misinterpreted.

The FA will also have its opinion, determined by its own pre set regulations. I really hope the club accepts whatever the outcome is and move on, hopefully with everyone else better educated. I certainly won’t support ‘save cavani’ tee shirt campaign!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Should we rename the country Niger because it sounds like something?
The word "Niger" comes from the river by that name (same river that gives Nigeria its name) - and may have nothing to do with the Latin niger (meaning black, as in the colour). It may derive from the Tuareg term Egerew n-Igerewen (meaning "greatest river" or "rIver of rivers").

tomaldinho1

You can’t on the one hand say the word has no negative racial meaning as Spanish speakers claim (as did Suarez) and then say it’s highly offensive in a specific context.
FA set their own precedence. That’s the rules Cavani and others will have to abide by.
You can exactly say this, that's the whole issue with trying to translate everything directly into English and thinking we then understand the word/make the rules about what a word means.

Cavani's statement is perfect as well - apologises and admits his ignorance about the situation. If the FA feel they need to ban him to be seen as doing something, that's fine although I think it's harsh but they are setting a precedent here that any word whose translation into English could be construed as being racist is effectively censored, regardless of context. For me that doesn't help in the fight against racism and is actually quite a dangerous precedent.

Foxbatt

As I have said before it's the language and the intent. Now it's being said that the guy is caucasian too.
I know that the Europeans and Americans think they own the world but the reality is not. Different languages have different meanings and you simply can't translate word for word.
The context has to taken into account.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You havent read the non Spanish speakers down playing their ignorance of other cultures as a grey area?
No but I’ve read you constantly misconstrue arguments, especially from posters who have spoken about how they as a POC perceive everyday racial based language.

Cavani has handled it well, he took it down immediately upon being informed it can be misconstrued in a UK sense and reaffirmed his commitment to fighting racism and that no harm was intended. Good statement and hopefully no ban.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
As I have said before it's the language and the intent. Now it's being said that the guy is caucasian too.
I know that the Europeans and Americans think they own the world but the reality is not. Different languages have different meanings and you simply can't translate word for word.
The context has to taken into account.
Doesn't really matter does it?
On the last part fully agree

spiriticon

That's insane. So in the instance that a friend publicly calls another friend the worst racial slang imaginable (which, clearly, Cavani did not), but the receiving friend is not offended, because they are friends and they banter like that all the time, no action is needed? Obviously, using that racial slur might be offensive to a lot of other people, and furthermore will normalise the use of said racial slur. It's crazy to say that no action is needed if the receiving party is not offended.
I don't think so. If the guy receiving guy is okay with it, why should anyone else outside of the banter get offended on his behalf? Does his opinion on the matter not count?

cyberman

No but I’ve read you constantly misconstrue arguments, especially from posters who have spoken about how they as a POC perceive everyday racial based language.

Cavani has handled it well, he took it down immediately upon being informed it can be misconstrued in a UK sense and reaffirmed his commitment to fighting racism and that no harm was intended. Good statement and hopefully no ban.
I haven't misconstrued anything buddy.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
United statement

And should be case closed now.

NFM

Definitely a case for him being Black Listed, as he is the Black Sheep of the family or else United will be subject to Blackmail from some organisations such as the FA.
Note all these terms are currently subject to review for banning by at least one UK University. In fact they all are terms from use in past centuries which have absolutely no racial connotations at all.
Perspective seems to gone from the world.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yep, as crazy as it may sound.

So it seems Cavani will be fined unfortunately. Right after his breaking match.

I don't blame Cavani a tiny bit, it's just bad luck. Or United should have warned him in advanced I think. How the hell he'd know all this.

https://talksport.com/football/6295...hester-city-banned-fine-benjamin-mendy-tweet/
Unlucky he paid no heed to countless shitstorms after people, including one of his good mates, used potentially racially offensive language. God knows if United social media guidance or not -you'd assume they would- but blaming it on 'bad luck' is a lame get out, regardless of cultural differences.

RedDevil@84

Im just confused that it was concluded that when Suarez used the word he intended malicious hurt, yet now we are told that the word itself in Spanish can never ever have such associations.
to me that feels like it’s wrong if a Liverpool players but OK for a Manchester player.
Seems like an incorrect comparison.
Equivalent of what Suarez did will be for Cavani to shout to Rashford something like "Pass the ball to me Negrito"
That would have been well malicious.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You think Cavani didn't have better things to do than log into the caf or British papers and read up all the discussion on the Suarez incident? In a foreign language he doesn't master?

Outdoors and baguettes man, much better.
He should know better or get better advisors, I also refuse to believe someone so close to Suarez wouldn't have known about the previous incident.

Anyway, he's done the right thing and apologised.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Am I right in saying that Suarez didn’t even say “negrito”? So what’s with the equivalence?

UncleBob

What is the difference between negrito and negro in Uraquay’s version of Spanish?
How many times will you be referenced the verdict in the Suarez vs Evra case before you manage to comprehend the differences?

ColvaleGoa

Cavani Apologized. Club issues a good statement. Perfect case of Cavani being ignorant. Let's hope it's just a one match ban rather than 3. Either way FA will punish this to make an example.

Pretty sure this can't be compared to Suarez-Evra incident.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's a new low when society wants to regulate how two friends communicate with each other.
We use the word "kala" in my native language as a nickname, it means black. It never refers to skin tone, it's like calling someone in the family "Greeny" or "Chief". It's a term of affection and has no racial connotation or meaning.

Drawing offence out of something like this is exactly what the bad faith actors use to bolster their belief that "political correctness has gone mad" and allows them to dismiss racism as a small problem blown out of proportion by "lefties" rather than the systemic plague it is.
Yeah every Asian knows this is bullshit, 9/10 it is meant/said in a derogatory manner.

SuperiorXI

Cavani Apologized. Club issues a good statement. Perfect case of Cavani being ignorant. Let's hope it's just a one match ban rather than 3. Either way FA will punish this to make an example.

Pretty sure this can't be compared to Suarez-Evra incident.
I think it's more wanting to put the issue to bed rather than arguing how it is not an issue (which it isn't!).

The club took the safe road here but can understand why.

bsCallout

Definitely a case for him being Black Listed, as he is the Black Sheep of the family or else United will be subject to Blackmail from some organisations such as the FA.
Note all these terms are currently subject to review for banning by at least one UK University. In fact they all are terms from use in past centuries which have absolutely no racial connotations at all.
Perspective seems to gone from the world.
I'm guessing 'being in the black' in reference to accounting won't be taken away as it has a positive meaning.

I'd recommend people just use Neige (which is the chinese word for "that" :D
Actually some chinese language professor in the US was cancelled because he was explaining this particular word :D cant make it up

The english word is not acceptable due to the racial context.
But the spanish word (and I guess bunch of words derived from Latin) are just fine.

And even if cavani lives in england and plays in england he should have the right to use a spanish word to communicate with fellow latin people how he wants (on an international social platform). If he used the english n word during an interview it would be a different thing obviously.
He signed a contract for Manchester United which stipulates certain things about conduct on social media.

The FA have clear rules that goven players' behaviour on social media.

Cavani didn't mean anything by it. But you have to adhere to the laws and customs of the country you're in.

Cavani himself removed the post when it was explained to him how the word will be perceived in the UK. It's irrelevant if this is fine in South America.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Very glad that Cavani admits he can’t use this word in a U.K. context and can now understand why it would be misinterpreted.

The FA will also have its opinion, determined by its own pre set regulations. I really hope the club accepts whatever the outcome is and move on, hopefully with everyone else better educated. I certainly won’t support ‘save cavani’ tee shirt campaign!
You didn’t know the word existed yesterday and now you want it banned from the uk. Speak Spanish? Tough shit, find a new word for your language.

considering how dull you come across I love how opinionated you are

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Does anybody here actually believe that policing foreign languages helps fight racism in any way? Serious question.

UncleBob

He signed a contract for Manchester United which stipulates certain things about conduct on social media.

The FA have clear rules that goven players' behaviour on social media.

Cavani didn't mean anything by it. But you have to adhere to the laws and customs of the country you're in.

Cavani himself removed the post when it was explained to him how the word will be perceived in the UK. It's irrelevant if this is fine in South America.
Could be perceived.

Could you please refer to the rules, since you are claiming context doesn't matter.

Ludens the Red

And should be case closed now.
In an ideal world yes but it won’t and it’s annoying because now we’re going to have to go through this shit storm.
We’re gonna have the ABU’s and Liverpool fans falling over themselves to make out this is the same as Suarez.

We’re going to get a load of footballers coming out demanding long term bans for Cavani. Which inevitably will lead to racist abuse on Twitter against the footballers saying this.
The FA dragging their heels and taking about six weeks to come to what is actually a very simple decision.
Endless discussions about what’s racist and what’s not, in house fighting on here etc. Strap in I guess....
I just can’t fathom how naive Cavani has been here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You didn’t know the word existed yesterday and now you want it banned from the uk. Speak Spanish? Tough shit, find a new word for your language.

considering how dull you come across I love how opinionated you are
Any word that derives from the word negro should not be allowed in U.K. I’m very happy with that opinion. Cavani agrees too.

if you find being an anti racist dull, again that is reflective of you and not me. Seems like you have to find new language I’m afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.