FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In Arabic you have words like “kalb” and “haywan.” A simple translate to English would be dog and animal, but try say that to Arabic people, and then try saying it to for example Scandinavians. It gets you different reactions buddy. There’s over 7000 languages in the world, and whether you accept it or not there are words in one language that may resemble a banished word, but has a completely different meaning. Negro in Spanish means black. Is it a bad word in Spanish? No, but it can be used in a bad sentence. And Cavani hasn’t used it in the wrong way, and even if you translate it directly it’s not the brutal word that you all seem to seek for.
I would advise you to read through the thread and actually read what I've written before jumping to conclusions about what you think I'm saying.

Reading your posts in this thread, it must get annoying that your posts are constantly misconstrued (intentionally or unintentionally)
Indeed. The message just above that one a good example.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I fear for any Chinese player coming to the UK.

Their word for "ummm" or what you say when you're thinking sounds awfully close to the n-word.

jem

I believe it is slang for cumming in Spanish. (I'm hoping that the education that actually comes out of this is people becoming more aware of the beautiful slang in Spanish and Portuguese).
Brazilian Portuguese has some wonderful expressions. I particularly like 'beleza' as a form of greeting (not sure about my spelling there.)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One for you with a Colombia-Brazil link. I was having a drinks and supper gathering at my flat in Arpoador (Rio) with 4-5 local couples. Had also invited a Colombian chap who had arrived a few weeks ago so he could get to meet people. Brazilians are pretty lax with punctuality but this guy was seriously late, about an hour and a half, and people were getting hungry. Then he arrives all sweaty, flustered, hair all over the shop, his shirt a bit loose on the side, the collar lopped to one side... "Really really sorry to keep you waiting but I got stuck in a very hot cnut"

Brazilian buceta = cnut
Colombian buseta = public transport
:lol: superb.

I don't speak any Portuguese so mostly got around Brazil speaking Spanish and with them replying on Portuguese. I reckon the mutual understanding must have been about 50% at best but did lead to some hilarious and stupid situations.

JustinC00

My question is if FA is gonna punish something like this why doesn't the FA have some sort of brief to foreign players playing in England for the first time on this matter? They are implying Cavani should just know not to do it and that's really not fair to him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
because a load of people took it out of context, and got offended.

it'll get to the point where people can't do anything for fear of offending people
No it will get to the point where these languages eradicate words that offend. It’s very easy to do.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why was he told to?
Because of little Englanders with chips on their shoulders who havnt got the brains to see that a world of different language and culture exists outside their little island. Not saying that’s you at all.

shaky

Nothing says anti-racism better than the message "Don't use your native language here unless it's in a context that us Brits understand, or we'll suspend you from your job."

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because it's easier to apologise for how other people may have taken the post rather than trying to educate people why it isn't offensive when they've already made their mind up that it is.
I don’t agree. I take the post for what it is. An unreserved apology

MTF

Brazilian Portuguese has some wonderful expressions. I particularly like 'beleza' as a form of greeting (not sure about my spelling there.)
Sorry to others for the off-topic, but yes your spelling is spot on.

As someone else said before, there is racist language in Spanish and Portuguese like in any other culture. If it were somehow reversed and a player had said something racist in their native language and was trying to get away by saying that the literal translation to English isn't racist, then myself and I'm sure others would be saying that indeed that hypothetical expression is mainly used in a racist way so the player should be sanctioned. But it just isn't the case here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because of little Englanders with chips on their shoulders who havnt got the brains to see that a world of different language and culture exists outside their little island. Not saying that’s you at all.
You’re obviously very comfortable with words that are rooted in racial contexts. That’s on you.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No it will get to the point where these languages eradicate words that offend. It’s very easy to do.
What? But the word negrito isn't offensive, we're going around in circles. Unless you're saying every language needs an audit about the words that snowflake brits get offended by?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
How can it be a loaded word in English if it doesn't exist in English? We are applying a different definition to it because it looks like another word we consider offensive. That's a slippery slope.
The word Negro does exist in both English and Spanish, 'ito' is the suffix of endearment. In both languages, the word Negro has been historically used to describe black people so it still literally reads as 'little black'. It's just that in certain parts of South America it has come to be used as an endearing phrase to address someone regardless of their skin colour.

I can see the argument for both sides tbh, I mean if it isn't meant in a malicious way then why should we get caught up in words of another language/culture. But if the word is used in this society in front of people who don't immediately understand the context then you can see why people may be offended by it.

McTerminator

I have no idea what ‘punishment’ is sufficient to make the point but your suggestion sounds perfectly fine, especially as it’s obvious Cavani didn’t know UK context and also didn’t intend harm or offence.

If FA are smart, they can use this incident as a great way to raise awareness of this issue amongst Spanish speakers inside U.K.
Agreed.

doubt either side of the argument would be particularly happy with it but that’s the sign of a good compromise is it not!?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It’s a shame you’ve not taken his initial post for what it was
A word rooted in white cultural supremacy. Yes I took it for what it was. As the club and the player have subsequently agreed given their apologies and statement.

Revan

Assumptionman
I really wish context would be taken into account.

People should ask themselves whether someone would just randomly use a racial slur when they're thinking.

Punative measures like this do little to combat racism which goes far beyond simple slurs.
Suspending a Chinese professor, because he used a Chinese word in a Chinese class might be the most 2020 thing ever.

The only context there is that whoever suspended him are total morons.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What? But the word negrito isn't offensive, we're going around in circles. Unless you're saying every language needs an audit about the words that snowflake brits get offended by?
My opinion is terms like this in European languages were established during the white supremacist and black slavery era.

If these same cultures have now decided that to be true, then yes, the languages must undergo a reform on what is acceptable now.

RedDevil@84

Sammsky is this close to suggesting that anyone who sets foot in England should speak only in English

032Devil

Its probably not about right or wrong. Probably more to do with who the poster supports. United supporters want understanding and no ban so he can play the next game while, opposition supporters want a very long ban so that United miss his impact on games.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I fear for any Chinese player coming to the UK.

Their word for "ummm" or what you say when you're thinking sounds awfully close to the n-word.
That blew my mind in New Zealand. I worked with maybe 60% Chinese staff for about a year.

“I think we’ll start on this house.... niggaah.... No, the second one first actually”

Every person would make that noise every few minutes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
You’re obviously very comfortable with words that are rooted in racial contexts. That’s on you.
you obviously have absolutely no idea what you’re on about.

go you though, all power to you, rule Britannia. I’m sure us brits will audit the worlds languages and cultures, Do a great job of it and finally let other countries what is and isn’t acceptable for them to use.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Nothing says anti-racism better than the message "Don't use your native language here unless it's in a context that us Brits understand, or we'll suspend you from your job."
:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
@sammsky1 If I ordered a faggot with onion gravy when we eventually go out to dinner, would you be fuming with me for using that word?
Let’s see what happens when a footballer does that in public, start and thread on that and well then see.
It’s just a distracting equivalence.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Sorry to others for the off-topic, but yes your spelling is spot on.

As someone else said before, there is racist language in Spanish and Portuguese like in any other culture. If it were somehow reversed and a player had said something racist in their native language and was trying to get away by saying that the literal translation to English isn't racist, then myself and I'm sure others would be saying that indeed that hypothetical expression is mainly used in a racist way so the player should be sanctioned. But it just isn't the case here.
Do not apologise for taking this off topic. We need more of that. Not less.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The word Negro does exist in both English and Spanish, 'ito' is the suffix of endearment. In both languages, the word Negro has been historically used to describe black people so it still literally reads as 'little black'. It's just that in certain parts of South America it has come to be used as an endearing phrase to address someone regardless of their skin colour.

I can see the argument for both sides tbh, I mean if it isn't meant in a malicious way then why should we get caught up in words of another language/culture. But if the word is used in this society in front of people who don't immediately understand the context then you can see why people may be offended by it.
English has a history of borrowing words from other cultures, which is why negro exists in our dictionaries. We use the word black. We don't have the 'ito' suffix, either.

As I noted earlier, negrito is an idiomatic word that can't be translated literally to achieve an understanding of context. What it comes down to is the English language policing other languages because a word looks like one that's offensive in English.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I have no idea what ‘punishment’ is sufficient to make the point but your suggestion sounds perfectly fine, especially as it’s obvious Cavani didn’t know UK context and also didn’t intend harm or offence.

If FA are smart, they can use this incident as a great way to raise awareness of this issue amongst Spanish speakers inside U.K.
You cannot possibly be a real person.

Status
Not open for further replies.