[FA Youth Cup 3rd Round] Manchester United vs. Southampton

WhoDaGOAT

Oh well, a good few of them will be back next season. O'Connor, Gomes and Chong will be a year older. Barlow should be more involved as well.

Nero

Deflating. Always look forward to watching the team go on a run through the Youth Cup. Falling at the first hurdle is a real downer.

WhoDaGOAT

Deflating. Always look forward to watching the team go on a run through the Youth Cup. Falling at the first hurdle is a real downer.
We can still win the league though. So there's that.

siw2007

Thought we were going to have a better year this time around. Thought we were better than Southampton for the most part, but we weren't exactly at our best and most certainly didn't take our chances when we got through.

At then end of the day, Southampton were bigger, more powerful and well organised. A lot of learning points for the side and hopefully we can come back next year all the wiser.

Don't think Gribbin and Gomes make a good partnership. Both very creative players but have totally different ideas and almost contradict each other. Gomes wants to be direct and quicken the tempo, while Gribbin holds onto the ball and is far more patient in waiting to make the killer pass.

spenzo

Picked the wrong line-up really. Should have started Chong or Boonen or both. Lack of penetration in the first half.
Agreed, I would've definitely started both. I've felt for Boonen a little bit lately, he's been the one that's suffered from Gribbin's return and I'm hoping that this is the last we see of Callum with this group tbh.

I'm probably wrong but given the fact he's seen Chelsea sides reach the final and win the Youth Cup multiple times and none of those players saw the light of day under him, I doubt Jose will be that impressed with what he saw, especially if that's his first impression of this group. I'd imagine the lads have been built up to him by Butt too.

WhoDaGOAT

Agreed, I would've definitely started both. I've felt for Boonen a little bit lately, he's been the one that's suffered from Gribbin's return and I'm hoping that this is the last we see of Callum with this group tbh.

I'm probably wrong but given the fact he's seen Chelsea sides reach the final and win the Youth Cup multiple times and none of those players saw the light of day under him, I doubt Jose will be that impressed with what he saw, especially if that's his first impression of this group. I'd imagine the lads have been built up to him by Butt too.
I think he'll have been impressed by Hamilton and Chong. O'Connor too.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Any clips of Chong's goal at least?

khoazany

Don't think Gribbin and Gomes make a good partnership. Both very creative players but have totally different ideas and almost contradict each other. Gomes wants to be direct and quicken the tempo, while Gribbin holds onto the ball and is far more patient in waiting to make the killer pass.
Funny both were from Salford and I think played in a same grassroot club.

spenzo

It's a shame for Boonen and Buffonge to name just two as this will be their last crack at the Youth Cup, you could see how upset Chong was - just walked straight off the pitch.

Last edited:

WhoDaGOAT

It's a shame for Boonen, Chong and Buffonge to name a few as this will be their last crack at the Youth Cup, you could see how upset Chong was - just walked straight off the pitch.
Chong will be available? He's not 18 until next December

spenzo

I think he'll have been impressed by Hamilton and Chong. O'Connor too.
I'd like to think so, O'Connor was really good today, I think only Chong and Gomes are really on his level as far as maturity in this side and he's unmatched for consistency imo although he got lucky towards the end when he dived in and got left behind. Chong was good when he came on and he's growing on me all the time so hopefully Jose took some positives from it but with him being very much a results guy I'd love to know what he thought about tonight on the whole.

siw2007

Funny both were from Salford and I think played in a same grassroot club.
Didn't know that. I like both players but think Gomes with 2 of Buffonge, Chong or Boonen is a far more cohesive selection.

Leonard17

Picked the wrong line-up really. Should have started Chong or Boonen or both. Lack of penetration in the first half.
Just a couple of days ago, Chong was overrated by some of you, now he should've started. Revisionism at its finest.

WhoDaGOAT

I'd like to think so, O'Connor was really good today, I think only Chong and Gomes are really on his level as far as maturity in this side and he's unmatched for consistency imo although he got lucky towards the end when he dived in and got left behind. Chong was good when he came on and he's growing on me all the time so hopefully Jose took some positives from it but with him being very much a results guy I'd love to know what he thought about tonight on the whole.
Chong is the type of modern wide player that he loves. Quick footed, impressive acceleration and full of penetrative dribbling. He can get up and down the pitch, which is vital at the highest level.

I'm really excited by O'Connor. I think he's destined for greatness if he can avoid injuries. He understands the game already at 16. He knows exactly what's required of each position he plays.

khoazany

Just a couple of days ago, Chong was overrated by some of you, now he should've started. Revisionism at its finest.
We could have Zidane,Scholes and Pirlo instead of Gomes, Gribbin and Buffonge and I would still say Chong or Boonen should have started. It's about balance which is important for a cup run, nothing to do with how I rate those players.

Leonard17

We could have Zidane,Scholes and Pirlo instead of Gomes, Gribbin and Buffonge and I would still say Chong or Boonen should have started. It's about balance which is important for a cup run, nothing to do with how I rate those players.
That's fair enough, but I'm just saying, a lot of you were downplaying him, his talents and what he brings to the team. Now all of sudden he's the talk of the forum and should be starting. The revisionism is apparent and the criticism was unjustified for both him and Burkart to begin with.

DatGuyRich

This game showed how much this side needs a DM. I love the Whelan and Buffonge partnership but theres a reason why we concede so many goals and thats because theres nobody there to protect the defence.

Alongside that I think McKenna got it all wrong tonight. Buffonge has been playing so well in the middle of the park so why move him to the wings? Boonen has been so consistent this year and should have started here tonight. As others have said whilst Gribbin is probably the best out there, when he plays it means Gomes has to be shunted to the wings where his game is severely affected.

spenzo

Chong is the type of modern wide player that he loves. Quick footed, impressive acceleration and full of penetrative dribbling. He can get up and down the pitch, which is vital at the highest level.

I'm really excited by O'Connor. I think he's destined for greatness if he can avoid injuries. He understands the game already at 16. He knows exactly what's required of each position he plays.
Yeah I just wish Chong had from the beginning of the match to show him that, oh well there's always next year for him. I completely agree on O'Connor, can't predict whether he'll make it at United because so much of it is not even dependent on him but I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't.

Although I wasn't involved in that initial conversation about Chong I agree. I do think many on here overrate him greatly but, like you, I 100% would've started him tonight, don't really see any contradiction or revisionism in that to be fair.

spenzo

1-0 Chong :drool:

1-1 Thomas :annoyed:

1-2 Hamblin :eek:
Good job getting these mate. Whelan very lazy and soft for their first. Hamblin should've let Gomes press the ball as Hamblin was his man and the lad then beats O'Connor too. Being harsh on Sebtaoui the shot was quite central but to be fair to him it did move in the air a bit. They'll all learn from this though.

Saying all of that, when you change what has been the winning formula it is much of a shock when you don't... win?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Would be even quicker if not for that mop on his head. Or maybe thats why he is tricky... it distracts the opponents?

DanClancy

I couldn't watch all of it but did manage to watch most of the first half. United were too easy to play against in the first half, I was very disappointed with Gribbin and thought he looked a better prospect 2 years ago. United would have better served with Gomes playing centrally.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United still expecting big futures for their Under-18 team despite Youth Cup exit
Man Utd are still confident in the progress of their next batch of stars despite early FA Youth Cup exit on Monday.

Kieran McKenna is predicting big things for his Manchester United Under-18 team despite their early exit from the FA Youth Cup.

United’s youngsters fell at the first hurdle with a 2-1 defeat to Southampton at Old Trafford on Monday night.

Jose Mourinho and a host of first-team players including Michael Carrick, Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford were in the stands as Tahith Chong’s second-half opener was cancelled out by two late Southampton goals.

And McKenna insists his players’ still have bright futures despite the set-back.

He said: “There’s some talent there, there’s no doubt about that.

“As a club, you can’t hang your season on the FA Youth Cup because it’s a knock-out competition. They haven’t lost many games but you can lose one game and that’s it.

Under-18s coach Kieran McKenna joined from Tottenham in September.
“It’s a competition we wanted to do well in but we’ve got other goals. As a group, they’ve set high standards and we will be making sure they maintain that.

“It’s good for the club to let us play the game here. It’s fantastic that the manager has come down and some of the first-team players as well. It’s great experience for them.

“Hopefully some of these players can go on and make an impression on some of those people in the future.”

Chong, who arrived from Feyenoord in the summer, was one of the players to star in front of Mourinho after coming on as a second-half substitute to fire United into the lead.

Tahith Chong impressed when he came on in the second half.
His turn and finish into the top corner in front of the Stretford End was the 17-year-old winger’s first goal at Old Trafford.

And providing the Dutchman’s development goes to plan, McKenna says there should be many more.

He added: “Tahith is a really good talent and a really good lad.

“We knew that he would be a big asset off the bench. The early stages of the game played out like we thought, a little bit cagey and not a lot of space.

“But we knew that once it opened up he would be really effective one to come on and he’s scored a really good goal.

“I’m sure than when the disappointment of the game goes away, he will enjoy that moment. Hopefully he’ll score some more goals on this ground in the years to come.”

McKenna is hopeful for the likes of forward Angel Gomes.
United will now turn their attention to the Under-18 Premier League North where they sit second, four points behind Manchester City.

They face West Brom on Saturday and McKenna is looking for a response after the cup exit.

He said: “I don’t think we ever hit the free-flowing heights that we’re capable of but I thought we dominated the game.

“We controlled the game and created some really good opportunities, not a lot but some really good ones.

“We limited their chances and once we got to 1-0, with the strength we had on the bench, you would fancy us to go on from there. I think nine times out of 10 we would do.

The Under-18s are back in action against West Brom on Saturday.
“But football is a funny game, especially at youth level. Strange things can happen, two goals came in quick succession and that’s it. It’s a knock-out competition and you’re out.

“They’re devastated. They’re a good bunch of lads. They’ve got a really good attitude and they really wanted to do well in the competition.

“They’ve got to feel that disappointment now and learn to live with it.

“We will be emphasising the response now. As a group, they have got to respond well for the rest of the season. And individually, we will see who can use it to really spur them on in their careers.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...manchester-united-future-stars-chong-12313742