FA Youth Cup - Chelsea vs Manchester United

Drainy

It has been the most one sided one nil i have ever seen. Chelsea should be four or five up in all honesty. Very disappointing we offered no threat at all and Hannibal was rubbish, I hope he has a lot more than that performance in him
and yet we still dug in and could have won

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
This commentator is actually ridiculous. Does he not realise we don't have any natural strikers in this group?
We’ve been completely dominated for the majority of the match and the commentators have still been complimentary of us. What are you complaining about? Just moaning for moaning sake.

Bigsid

Read on here that Hannibal and Shoretire are world class. Not on that showing.

pascell

Struggled to keep possession with Chelsea pressing. Thought Fish was our best player, looks a tidy CB.

Elanga and Mejbri should've done better tonight but guess its hard when you've had to drop down an age group after getting used to u23s football and we had no striker.

In Rainbows

Probably on par with Shortire, but shortire is a year younger. To be fair to Hanibal it's hard to be play without a number 9 to play the ball to.
No way was Shoretire on par. Mejbri's balance, composure, and touch were on display. If the argument is based on threat, then you could rate Mejbri's output as average. I'm not going to argue that he was particularly effective when the whole team was getting dominated for large parts of the match. However, every player had mistakes in this match. Elanga had a few to start the match, but he's our main attacker and so looked the most dangerous. He and Mengi are also a year older than Mejbri. So if your argument is based on age in regards to Mejbri vs Shoretire, then surely you should apply that with Mengi+Elanga vs the rest of our side.

I would say we struggled because for some reason, a constant is that our youth sides always don't deal with a pressing side all too well. Happens too often.

Then again, this side as a whole isn't as talented as side that knocked out Chelsea in the youth cup (Greenwood). It's missing a true striker, and doesn't have the same quality overall. So not surprised at the result. We've addressed this with our signings, but obviously they can't play in this match either.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Read on here that Hannibal and Shoretire are world class. Not on that showing.
That’s why you typically don’t judge things on one showing. The defence did well but apart from that the team was outclassed, Chelsea were well drilled, well organised, physically outmatched us and generally have better players. Even Greenwood would’ve struggled to shine the way we played tonight.

Drainy

We’ve been completely dominated for the majority of the match and the commentators have still been complimentary of us. What are you complaining about? Just moaning for moaning sake.
He spent the whole match criticising 'the tactical set up' in the most un-insightful manner possible, and the one occasion he deigned to give any insight into what we should be doing differently he mentioned getting in behind Chelsea's defence.

limerickcitykid

Struggled to keep possession with Chelsea pressing. Thought Fish was our best player, looks a tidy CB.

Elanga and Mejbri should've done better tonight but guess its hard when you've had to drop down an age group after getting used to u23s football and we had no striker.
They haven’t really dropped down an age group though, every player out there is in the u23s side. It’s the exact same team.

The u23s have started terribly anyway so they havent been doing much good at getting used to u23s football, particularly Mejbri.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And Elanga who he also listed.
They nullified Elanga with ease. Hopefully it'll be a learning curve for him. And I don't see what the fuss is about Shoretire who looks a decent player but nothing more.

limerickcitykid

He spent the whole match criticising 'the tactical set up' in the most un-insightful manner possible, and the one occasion he deigned to give any insight into what we should be doing differently he mentioned getting in behind Chelsea's defence.
He criticized how we dealt with the press, and rightly so. We were terrible at it. You’re bitching about them saying simple facts.

On the other hand he said McCann had a great game, despite him being terrible. And they said numerous times it was a tight match and very competitive from both sides. They complimented us all match, despite it largely being undeserved.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Mengi, shortire and possibly Elangi have a chance of making it on this performance, can't see any of the rest.
Elangi hasn't impressed me to be honest, apart from the brilliant bit of skill when he hit the bar.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Love all the posters who wander into youth football threads whenever we reach the final stages of a competition and judge players on the only 90 mins they have ever seen from them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We couldn't transition play from deeper effectively so i'm not sure why Neil Ryan didn't change things and maybe play Mejbri deeper. Chelsea just dominated the defensive zones which left our forwards isolated. Chelsea fully deserved to win the game and good luck to them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Love all the posters who wander into youth football threads whenever we reach the final stages of a competition and judge players on the only 90 mins they have ever seen from them.
:lol: So true, they don’t even realise they’re doing it either :lol:

Prodigal7

That Chelsea team looked bigger than most men’s teams. That first 30 minutes was insane with how they pressed.

positives though, for me Mengi was the best player on the pitch. Heabsolutely looks like a first team player to me.

greenwood up top would have obviously helped us a lot.... Helm is not a number 9 and really struggled today

Uniquim

Dissapointing by the result, but think we should take away some positives from being able to ride off that early Chelsea pressure at least.
Also how fast is Mengi? Blazing speed tracking back for the Chelsea goal.

Looked a lot better once Chelsea ran out of steam. Overall not that bad tbh. We did a look a bit toothless up front though.
Mejbri & Elanga both more subdued than usual. Mejbri had a decent period in both halves when United were able to move forward more though.
Been a few games I've seen with the U18s where Mejbri has basically been the metronome of the team. Not quite there today.
Would be nice to have Hugill for this one.

Livramento for Chelsea looked great. Not seen him before.

Drainy

We couldn't transition play from deeper effectively so i'm not sure why Neil Ryan didn't change things and maybe play Mejbri deeper. Chelsea just dominated the defensive zones which left our forwards isolated. Chelsea fully deserved to win the game and good luck to them.
I would guess that with a lack of a striker we decided we should play Mejbri higher as he could hopefully hold the ball up and link with the wide players- which he tried his best to, but at times was getting some hospital passes into his feet- McCann and Beijer being particularly ineffective passers into him.

Ultimately, playing against one of the best youth sides with a mediocre midfielder as your centre forward is always going to leave you struggling.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would guess that with a lack of a striker we decided we should play Mejbri higher as he could hopefully hold the ball up and link with the wide players- which he tried his best to, but at times was getting some hospital passes into his feet- McCann and Beijer being particularly ineffective passers into him.

Ultimately, playing against one of the best youth sides with a mediocre midfielder as your centre forward is always going to leave you struggling.
Agreed.

Mylock

I've watched all the youth games and u23 games that have been on mute this season and last. In my opinion, Hanibal looked impressive before the lockdown, his form has tailed off since. Elangi has looked sharp since he came back from injury, Shortire had looked impressive, with his decision making and runs for a 16-year-old.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Puts it into perspective that Greenwood was still eligible.

Crazy how much of a machine Chelsea are at this level, though.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Better team won on the night, we were fortunate to be level at half time. Not sure Mastny had a shot to save second half, mind you I can only remember Chelsea's keeper making one save second half.
Fish and Mengi played well I thought after the first 15 minutes when we were trying to play out from the back, and Chelsea were pushing hard. Mejbri's touch and control are sublime, and it would be good to see him in a team with a couple of good forward players, but most times he got on the ball second half, he had two or three players on him. Thought McCann had a decent game, tries to keep the play ticking over, and works hard, even in the 90th minute he was back winning the ball. Shoretire had a couple of good moments, Elangi was ok, but I expected more. Devine looked ok, but looks like he needs a few matches to get himself fully fit.
Overall it's a learning curve for these lads, they will get more from being under pressure during games than winning games easily, after all the whole idea is to get some of these players into the first team.

Prodigal7

It has been the most one sided one nil i have ever seen. Chelsea should be four or five up in all honesty. Very disappointing we offered no threat at all and Hannibal was rubbish, I hope he has a lot more than that performance in him
Outside of the first 30 minutes it was an even game. But those first 30 were insane how Chelsea pressed.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Fair point, but if that is all some posters see, then they can only comment on that 90 minutes.
Are they not allowed to make comments if they're not regular watchers of youth football?

Bigsid

Fair point, but if that is all some posters see, then they can only comment on that 90 minutes.
Are they not allowed to make comments if they're not regular watchers of youth football?
And when they get chance in our first team they won't get 90 mins to step up so best get used now! At approaching 17 and 18 players have stepped up in first teams so in games like tonight which are presumably the top level of youth football they can be judged. I haven't watched a lot of the 18s but I also watched the City away game too where we were a year older with a man more and we were poor in that too.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Depends on the comment really. Big difference between I thought x was poor today, struggled with the press and his touch was off at times.

Or the more common, x was shite today, will never make to a championship level nevermind at United no idea why some rate him him. Sack Ryan sell Elanga.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Their posts always betray them too, the type to watch an u23 game and say shoretire needs to bull up not realising hes probably 3-4 years younger than the average age he is playing against.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Depends on the comment really. Big difference between I thought x was poor today, struggled with the press and his touch was off at times.

Or the more common, x was shite today, will never make to a championship level nevermind at United no idea why some rate him him. Sack Ryan sell Elanga.
Understand.

If you read my posts, I only comment on what I see, I'm not one of those people who make an instant decision on whether player X is s###e, or player Y Is the best thing since sliced bread. But I understand your frustration on posters that do, it annoys me that certain posters do make those instant decisions on a player, but 90 minutes is no time to do that. From my point of view, I thought Elanga was a bit disappointing tonight, from what I have heard about him, but that skill he showed when hitting the bar shows that he has something. But give Chelsea credit, they had a plan, and every one of their players stiuck to that plan, they obviously want to win this, but in the great scheme of things, how many of their players will get into their first team?

The most important thing to me, is what those United lads learned tonight, and how they can take that experience forward.

lsd

The Oracle
I made a point if saying that was my first time watching them and was disappointed with what i saw especially Hannibal who basically moaned a lot and offered little effort.

I wouldn't watch MUTV and could not listen to the commentary on that channel for all the money in the world so this was my only real opportunity to see them.

Hopefully they are a lot better than this and i am aware of Chelsea's record in this competition the past few years

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
But when the comment is a blanket statement, then its best to hush down. Shitting on Shoretire for supposing to be world class after a poor game is not a comment you should make based off 90 minutes.
I didn't make that comment.

Wazza4Gaffa

It is crazy how dominant Chelsea are at this level, and it's not as if it's the same group of players, it is always a new batch coming after that continue to dominate England/Europe. It is a shame how they are mishandled on the transition to first team football but that seems to be getting much better now.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Understand.

If you read my posts, I only comment on what I see, I'm not one of those people who make an instant decision on whether player X is s###e, or player Y Is the best thing since sliced bread. But I understand your frustration on posters that do, it annoys me that certain posters do make those instant decisions on a player, but 90 minutes is no time to do that. From my point of view, I thought Elanga was a bit disappointing tonight, from what I have heard about him, but that skill he showed when hitting the bar shows that he has something. But give Chelsea credit, they had a plan, and every one of their players stiuck to that plan, they obviously want to win this, but in the great scheme of things, how many of their players will get into their first team?

The most important thing to me, is what those United lads learned tonight, and how they can take that experience forward.
Who knows. What would you say was a reasonable number of players from one crop to break into the first team at a Champions League club?

I'd say if one player from each crop of kids makes it into the first team, it's a win.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Who knows. What would you say was a reasonable number of players from one crop to break into the first team at a Champions League club?

I'd say if one player from each crop of kids makes it into the first team, it's a win.
I would hope that two players would get into the first team set up from each squad, but if one made it then I would be happy with that. In this group I have high hopes for Mengi and Mejbri, but usually there is a surprise package somewhere, like McTominay, so who knows from this group. We certainly have got some very good prospects, and I think the future is looking really bright.

Remember the geese

Of the players who played today, I have high hopes for Mengi, Fish, Mejbri, Shoretire and Elanga. Not all will make it, but one or two might. Maybe even one of the others will. Devine for instance is a decent prospect, however I think Alvaro Fernandez may prove to be a bigger talent. It's always difficult to call.

PS18

Amen. Always a bunch of chicken littles regarding our youth setup when a result doesn't go our way as well.

Youth Cups are nice but development is what it's all about. Half a dozen players in that team we've every reason to be very optimistic about (and that's without Mason, and whilst acknowledging it was a flawed squad) and tonight doesn't change that. The talent is there, only real concern for me is a few question marks over Neil Ryan tactically (and whether that has any long-term impact on the players).

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Of the players who played today, I have high hopes for Mengi, Fish, Mejbri, Shoretire and Elanga. Not all will make it, but one or two might. Maybe even one of the others will. Devine for instance is a decent prospect, however I think Alvaro Fernandez may prove to be a bigger talent. It's always difficult to call.
Yes, it is difficult, but it's fascinating to see the lads progress (or not), and the ones you thought were nailed on, are suddenly overtaken by the guy you thought had no chance. I have watched some great players come through at United, and it makes me so happy that, as a club, we do give these lads an opportunity to succeed, and long may that continue.
I was worried that under Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose that our youth/academy would go to pot, and it certainly felt like that at times, but fortunately under Ole we have started to invest in youth again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Amen. Always a bunch of chicken littles regarding our youth setup when a result doesn't go our way as well.

Youth Cups are nice but development is what it's all about. Half a dozen players in that team we've every reason to be very optimistic about (and that's without Mason, and whilst acknowledging it was a flawed squad) and tonight doesn't change that. The talent is there, only real concern for me is a few question marks over Neil Ryan tactically (and whether that has any long-term impact on the players).
I think whoever took over after McKenna was always going to be a step down but I've not been impressed with how Ryan sets up his sides since he took over.

Remember the geese

Yes, it is difficult, but it's fascinating to see the lads progress (or not), and the ones you thought were nailed on, are suddenly overtaken by the guy you thought had no chance. I have watched some great players come through at United, and it makes me so happy that, as a club, we do give these lads an opportunity to succeed, and long may that continue.
I was worried that under Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose that our youth/academy would go to pot, and it certainly felt like that at times, but fortunately under Ole we have started to invest in youth again.
Yeah, I agree. Galbraith's stock has suddenly risen (in the eyes of the casual observer at least) where all the talk previously was about Garner and Levitt. Unless you have a Greenwood level talent, it's very hard to predict.

Also yes, agreed on that point too. There did appear to be a time post Fergie where our long held record of an academy product featuring in the side was under severe threat. I can't exactly pinpoint when that was, but it's insane how much quality we are producing/importing lately.