FA Youth Cup Final - Utd vs Forest

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Powell and Johnson(might get the names wrong) for Forest looked like potential footballers..
For us Ayodele, Hansen and Vitek look potential players. Hansen I believe is a special player in time.
Good result and achievement for the lads.

Herman Toothrot

Powell and Johnson(might get the names wrong) for Forest looked like potential footballers..
For us Ayodele, Hansen and Vitek look potential players. Hansen I believe is a special player in time.
Good result and achievement for the lads.
Hansen looked good, especially in the first half. Our number six was good and liked 17 when he came on. Keeper was unfortunate to let down a good game with a bit of a freak goal. Was great to see the players pumping up the crowd, they must have been fecking buzzing. Best time I've had at Old Trafford in a long time!

KikiDaKats

Supports
Hansen looked good, especially in the first half. Our number six was good and liked 17 when he came on. Keeper was unfortunate to let down a good game with a bit of a freak goal. Was great to see the players pumping up the crowd, they must have been fecking buzzing. Best time I've had at Old Trafford in a long time!
At least the youth team gave us a a slight bit of joy this season. Hopefully they’ll all get to enjoy a fruitful football career.
Some others in the team might appear to have raw natural talent than others but these 3 seem to have a very good profile to their game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
At least the youth team gave us a a slight bit of joy this season. Hopefully they’ll all get to enjoy a fruitful football career.
Some others in the team might appear to have raw natural talent than others but these 3 seem to have a very good profile to their game.
Based on what I've seen of them earlier in the season, I'd like to see McNeil and Garnacho given playing time at Palace. I don't think any senior player deserves to be picked ahead of them in their relative positions (I have never seen Ronnie a a No.9). Others I can't comment on as I couldn't find a way to watch last night

pauldyson1uk

cracking games last night, saw some good young players, that will be around for a long time.
The atmosphere was amazing , the crowd really got behind the lads.
The away support was also excellent.
68k for a youth game, history making.
It was good to enjoy watching football again :D

M15 Red.

Thought it was a fairly even game with both teams understandably nervous in front of such a large crowd.The atmosphere was fantastic. I ended up taking 11 kids along with me. Felt like the Pied Piper marching down Busby way. Half of them had no interest in football prior to the match, but most left converted. Except one kid, who as Garnacho was about to take the penalty asked. "Are United shooting the opposite way now?" All in all it was the most fun I've had at Old Trafford in a while.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We had a big slice of luck to win that FA Youth Cup final. However, after some of the refereeing against us this season, I think we were owed a few! :lol:

For the most part Forest were the better team. Oyedele coming on helped us get more competitive in midfield. Although, even then, it was more having a dog in the fight. Oyedele made it tougher for Forest. However, they were still on top for the most part. Being competitive let us put a bit of a higher press on though, which led to the penalty. After that Forest were shaken, Garnacho was in the mood and it all worked out for us.

Delighted for the kids. Gave us something to shout about and boy did we need it.

MUW4Eva

That is 3 trophies we have won at developmental level this season, sooooo happy for everyone in the set up!

Uniquim

2 of their players stood out, number 5, was tall and fast, built like a brick outhouse, everything you need in a defender and number 9, also fast, both has very good games. Thought their keeper was a bit suspect.
#5 = Pharrell Johnson
#9 = Detlef Esapa Osong

Looks like Osong has already started playing a bit for their U23s.

DanClancy

United struggled against a bigger and more physical team, thought the United centre half's were very wasteful on the ball at times. A bit disappointed with McNeill, didn't do enough with his hold up play although there was far too many long balls coming in his direction. Mainoo showed a few moments of brilliance but found it difficult overall. Forest clearly had a plan for Garnacho, looked like there was a plan to deny him space but he showed his class in the last 15 minutes.

Drizzle

United struggled against a bigger and more physical team, thought the United centre half's were very wasteful on the ball at times. A bit disappointed with McNeill, didn't do enough with his hold up play although there was far too many long balls coming in his direction. Mainoo showed a few moments of brilliance but found it difficult overall. Forest clearly had a plan for Garnacho, looked like there was a plan to deny him space but he showed his class in the last 15 minutes.
Yeah I'd agree with that assessment. Forest controlled most of the game, kept their shape and prevented us from building through midfield (Gore and Mainoo were quiet and Hansen struggled). They didn't create much themselves though to be fair, and United looked dangerous whenever we could get near their area.

The game changed with our subs. Hugill and especially Oyedele gave us some physicality and a measure of control. Garnacho came through in the end.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
While I'm willing to give Forrest their credit as I did last night, they're by far the best team we played in the tournament, I don't think they were quite as good last night as some are making out. Their physicality was very impressive but United were miles better technically and once we added a bit of physicality ourselves it was one way traffic. The game was fairly even with United edging it in terms of overall play and certainly on chances created.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
#5 = Pharrell Johnson
#9 = Detlef Esapa Osong

Looks like Osong has already started playing a bit for their U23s.
Really liked him (the 5). Thought looked like a CH and wondered if he was played out of position (no) or whether his size would be an issue as a fullback (no). Ran Garnacho at one point in the second half.

Very impressed.

Decent team, thought a bit more rounded than Wolves. To me, Wolves had some decent players but a few so so.. Forest not that exciting but solid. Actually says a lot about our team, their ability and mental attitude that they can go against/eventually beat a clearly bigger team.

Any year you win the FA youth cup is a good year.
Does it mean we will get a crop of great players from this team, probably not, but one or two potential seniors is plenty from any group of 11
Great to see, keep up the good work.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Thought it was a fairly even game with both teams understandably nervous in front of such a large crowd.The atmosphere was fantastic. I ended up taking 11 kids along with me. Felt like the Pied Piper marching down Busby way. Half of them had no interest in football prior to the match, but most left converted. Except one kid, who as Garnacho was about to take the penalty asked. "Are United shooting the opposite way now?" All in all it was the most fun I've had at Old Trafford in a while.
the kid who asked that question has probably been watching the first team - most of them don't seem to have known which way there were going in most games!

KikiDaKats

Supports
Based on what I've seen of them earlier in the season, I'd like to see McNeil and Garnacho given playing time at Palace. I don't think any senior player deserves to be picked ahead of them in their relative positions (I have never seen Ronnie a a No.9). Others I can't comment on as I couldn't find a way to watch last night
McNeil yeah, I didn’t mention, yeah. He has something to him I’d like to watch in the senior game. He is a unit for his age and I don’t think he’ll easily be bullied.
Honestly, we can use the Palace game to usher a few of them into the senior game. Won’t make a difference to our season to be honest.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
McNeil yeah, I didn’t mention, yeah. He has something to him I’d like to watch in the senior game. He is a unit for his age and I don’t think he’ll easily be bullied.
Honestly, we can use the Palace game to usher a few of them into the senior game. Won’t make a difference to our season to be honest.
They've both had quite significant difficulty adapting to U23 football.

VDG17

I thought we were tactically outclassed by Joyce in the game the other night. They pressed us really high from the off and squeezed all of the space, particularly for Mainoo and Gore which meant that passes forward were rushed. Mcneill offered very little of an outball which was disappointing and shows where he needs to develop. Hugill improved that, he worked harder and despite the extra size looked much quicker. Garnacho was isolated a lot and as has been pointed out he struggled in tighter areas.

What the team did do very well, something that often makes our first team crumble is to manage the pressure and not panic. It wasn't flowing but we didn't take stupid risks and we defended really well. My man of the match by a mile was Bennett, he was up against the man mountain up front and early on beat him in the air and then for the rest of the match pushed him wide where he wasn't dangerous.
Oyedele coming on was a good response from Binnion. He added a lot of physicality and I think he's a better partner for Mainoo than Gore because he allows Mainoo further forward. At a higher level you'd realistically only pick 2 of Mainoo, Gore and Hansen and then have a player like Oyedele with them. We often remember Pogba and Morrison at this level but probably forget they had Tunnicliffe running around kicking the legs off of people to help.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I thought we were tactically outclassed by Joyce in the game the other night. They pressed us really high from the off and squeezed all of the space, particularly for Mainoo and Gore which meant that passes forward were rushed. Mcneill offered very little of an outball which was disappointing and shows where he needs to develop. Hugill improved that, he worked harder and despite the extra size looked much quicker. Garnacho was isolated a lot and as has been pointed out he struggled in tighter areas.

What the team did do very well, something that often makes our first team crumble is to manage the pressure and not panic. It wasn't flowing but we didn't take stupid risks and we defended really well. My man of the match by a mile was Bennett, he was up against the man mountain up front and early on beat him in the air and then for the rest of the match pushed him wide where he wasn't dangerous.
Oyedele coming on was a good response from Binnion. He added a lot of physicality and I think he's a better partner for Mainoo than Gore because he allows Mainoo further forward. At a higher level you'd realistically only pick 2 of Mainoo, Gore and Hansen and then have a player like Oyedele with them. We often remember Pogba and Morrison at this level but probably forget they had Tunnicliffe running around kicking the legs off of people to help.
Joyce definitely picked a side that he knew could win the physical battle, we were hurting for the changes that he made. IHA would have been completely non existent if he wasn't actively ruining good counter opportunities by not releasing the ball quick enough. Him for Oyedele and a more.conventional 3 across the middle was what I would have liked at half time.

Alas it happened anyway and as soon as it did we got more and more control.

Bennett was great and Jackson was unreal given the full context.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Whilst I agree with you, at first team level running around and kicking people isn't enough. Having a DM who is as classy on the ball as Mainoo would be a huge advantage (see Fernandinho for example), and Gore will also continue to improve the defensive side of his game you would hope. Ultimately Morrison and Pogba didn't learn to do the ugly stuff well enough and that's why they've disappointed overall despite, to massively differing degrees, having good careers.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
While I'm willing to give Forrest their credit as I did last night, they're by far the best team we played in the tournament, I don't think they were quite as good last night as some are making out. Their physicality was very impressive but United were miles better technically and once we added a bit of physicality ourselves it was one way traffic. The game was fairly even with United edging it in terms of overall play and certainly on chances created.
I'd agree with that.

Forest had two shots on target all game including the goal which should have been an easy save for Vitek. They had no shots on target at all in the second half so not sure how they were going to score.

In comparison, United had 4 blocked efforts, 2 cracks at goal that were off target and 9 shots on target including the three goals.

I thought Forest were incredibly well coached and disciplined and their objective was to make it a physical contest by keeping the ball in the air. We matched them physically, particularly by Bennett and Jackson but clearly Forest had a couple of 10-15 spells when they were in control without actually creating anything. Once Oyedele came on for Hansen we took control of midfield and our technical players made the difference.