FA Youth Cup Final

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why no Hannibal tonight?
Too old, he turned 19 in January. I think Shoretire was young enough but he's almost exclusively an U23 player at this point.

NoPace

Seems like we just found the common factor to be on Fergie's good graces!

Wenger's biggest mistake was depleting his side of all the physicality (they could dish it out pretty well early on) but that's for another thread.

Hope Allardyce gets the recognition he deserves, did quite admirably in keeping a lot of teams out of relegation on shoe string budget, i think Fergie recognizes that, and he just seems to be like a fun lad to be around as well.
He needed someone to keep him away from the technically lovely but soft and inconsistent players like Arshavin, Reyes and Hleb and the 4-5-1, and just keep trying to build 4-4-2 sides, which yes they were outnumbered in midfield a bit and that's tough without a Viera and Henry, but there were 10s to replace Bergkamp. But it forced him to look for power at fullback and DM and that helped them a ton, and it's not like players like Lauren and Gilberto Silva can't be found (no disrespect, wonderful players, but Arsenal could sign players of that level easily enough).

I like those types of players (probably too much), but it's not how Wenger won and it was his undoing.

TheReligion

Abusive
So anyway what a great night. Thought Forest were good and worked so hard (liked their CB number 5 and number 9) They are a very big and physical side. Towards the end of the game they had a few break down with injuries as the work they put in took it’s toll.

United by far the more technical side and thought Jurado caught the eye at full back. Bennett was solid and seemed to win everything, Mainoo was quiet but you can tell he’s got something about him; a natural with the ball at his feet and a thoughtful player. Felt Garnacho was struggling to get into the game but began to do so when things opened up later on. Taking that penalty in front of the Stretford End took some courage. He looks built to be centre stage. Gore just keeps things ticking over in the midfield

The physicality of Hugill and Oyedele was a bit of a turning point from the bench as I felt McNeil and Hansen struggled somewhat. Hansen was tidy but there was just something missing.

Great atmosphere, disappointing to see 3/4 of the Forest fans vanish at full time without staying for their lads to get medals.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He needed someone to keep him away from the technically lovely but soft and inconsistent players like Arshavin, Reyes and Hleb and the 4-5-1, and just keep trying to build 4-4-2 sides, which yes they were outnumbered in midfield a bit and that's tough without a Viera and Henry, but there were 10s to replace Bergkamp. But it forced him to look for power at fullback and DM and that helped them a ton, and it's not like players like Lauren and Gilberto Silva can't be found (no disrespect, wonderful players, but Arsenal could sign players of that level easily enough).

I like those types of players (probably too much), but it's not how Wenger won and it was his undoing.
Yeah I think all the praise of his sublime technical football got to his head and he forgot the other facet of what made his team so successful in the first place.

Those early Arsenal team were bastards who could easily give you a fight if they needed to while I always felt they easily rolled over in the latter stages of his career.
Wenger was right on a lot of things and he generally had the right ideas but the implosion of their success was his own undoing.

Artimities

Listened to the game on United tv. Holy shit… that place was rocking! I hope the first team was inspired by what they saw and more importantly, heard! I could barely hear the announcers at times.

Cantonagotmehere

That was awesome It was on ESPN streaming here in the US, so I got throw it on at work. What a cool sporting event for those youngins to be a part of (for both sides). I throughly enjoyed that.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Great to hear, Chelsea seems to have gotten terribly close to our record, I prefer it if united kept the premier title of being the most decorated youth side.

Will definitely bode well for our main team as well.
Consistency is the bane of all youth. That’s why the 5 titles in a row that Chelsea had - 7 in 10 years, was absolutely amazing. There’s a reason we are widely considered the best academy in England. But it’s more than just titles, the amount of players to graduate and play top level football has been high and increasing each year.

Hopefully we can beat you next year though, congrats.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Consistency is the bane of all youth. That’s why the 5 titles in a row that Chelsea had - 7 in 10 years, was absolutely amazing. There’s a reason we are widely considered the best academy in England. But it’s more than just titles, the amount of players to graduate and play top level football has been high and increasing each year.

Hopefully we can beat you next year though, congrats.
Thanks!
Your job has been truly impressive indeed, I was rather surprised to see how successful you lot had been in these past few years, its about time you lot used more of those products of yours.
Hopefully this class of players go on to do great things either with us or other football clubs(Hopefully not at our expense).

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Ground full of local kids and they were loving it. Great buzz about the old place

The club should make Under 16 tickets £1 for the Europa/Conference games next season. Build on this and get loads going together with their mates.

DevilRed

So this Gnarcho lad. We might just have a number 11 shirt available for him.

Watching this match made my year. Really has. Been a long time since I felt positive about our club.

Loon

:lol:
I missed this as I was watching Ajax. Who do you see establishing themselves in the first team in the future?

justsomebloke

Should be said: So at least the youth setup seems at least to have been one thing that actually was improved during the period of regeneration we were supposedly undergoing under OGS.

Grande

Was there. Forest were a much more physical and agricultural side. Got Vietnam flashbacks of while Joyce was here.

No mistake that we killed them we took off our diddly forward line and matched them more physically
Not a native speaker, so curious … what is an agricultural side in football? Ploughing up the opposition and grass with slide tackles? Lot’s of long balls and crosses due to normally playing in a potato field? Enticing expression. :P

Joyce didn’t seem to be the man for our youth team needs anymore, but it’s an impressive feat what he’s done with this Forest tram.

Drainy

Not a native speaker, so curious … what is an agricultural side in football? Ploughing up the opposition and grass with slide tackles? Lot’s of long balls and crosses due to normally playing in a potato field? Enticing expression. :P

Joyce didn’t seem to be the man for our youth team needs anymore, but it’s an impressive feat what he’s done with this Forest tram.
Yeah they played a direct, mostly aerial game to exploit the height and strength advantage they had.

They were working to make the game scrappy and until we're upped our physicality it was working

Grande

Should be said: So at least the youth setup seems at least to have been one thing that actually was improved during the period of regeneration we were supposedly undergoing under OGS.
There are a few people to whom things have to be either good or bad to cope with it mentally. The academy has undergone several gradual changes the last three or four years, having generally slumped and has now been picking up a step at a time. Murtaugh has probably been in charge of that. At the same time, generations coming and going is often fairly incidental, too.

There are hopes for lads like Mainoo and Garnacho getting careers at PL level.

Grande

Yeah they played a direct, mostly aerial game to exploit the height and strength advantage they had.

They were working to make the game scrappy and until we're upped our physicality it was working
Seems a fertile approach to sowing the seeds of success. Not bad then, that we beat them in terms of end product, and could harvest the trophy.

Drizzle

Ground full of local kids and they were loving it. Great buzz about the old place

The club should make Under 16 tickets £1 for the Europa/Conference games next season. Build on this and get loads going together with their mates.
Completely agree. Great mix there last night, skewed really young (15-25), raucous energy. Reminded me of the 80s when ticket prices hadn't disconnected the local youth from attending.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
This was so important. I'd like to think that it will lift the whole club. I am glad all the ex-players and 1st team were there. The response to the goalies error by his team mates was inspiring. This team may or may not be the core of the club in a few years time but if 4 or 5 come through, I'll be happy. It looks like a few of them need to improve their conditioning ( but without losing their technical skills - Messi is no giant), but Warren Joyce is no mug. His team were fit, stronger than us and relentless. Hanson, Mainoo and McNeil have had better games but I'm sure will make a decent living, if not for us, then another club. I think Garnacho has the X-factor and we really need to tie him down to a good contract. Ok, it was a dodgy penalty but every team needs a bit of luck at times.

Reactions: mazhar13

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So this Gnarcho lad. We might just have a number 11 shirt available for him.

Watching this match made my year. Really has. Been a long time since I felt positive about our club.
keep him as far away from that shirt number as possible until he’s earnt it.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I was very Impressed with Mainoo also.
I don't think this was his best game. When Oyedele came on Mainoo improved. McNeil didn't get much service, and Hansen got knocked off the ball a bit but I'm sure they will continue to improve.

GoldanoGraham

Who was responsible for signing Garnacho, Jurado, Hansen in 2020?

Considering everywhere was in lockdown or very limited they did a bloody good job in getting these 3 to upsticks to Manchester.

Surely cant be the same clowns that from 800 identified right backs ended up with AWB?

TheReligion

Abusive
Who was responsible for signing Garnacho, Jurado, Hansen in 2020?

Considering everywhere was in lockdown or very limited they did a bloody good job in getting these 3 to upsticks to Manchester.

Surely cant be the same clowns that from 800 identified right backs ended up with AWB?
Im sure I saw Murtough had something to do with this crop..

Add Fernandez too

Maticmaker

Best experience they could get, the thrill of winning something, picking up silverware at that age and in a professional setting.... a feeling hopefully that will stay with them the rest of their career....which they will expect to reproduce regularly.... at United!

city-puma

This is the booster to push many of them to eventually become great players. So happy for them.

RedDevilQuebecois

Incredible moment for those lads. It could have been so easy to be overhelmed by the occasion (cup final, full house at Old Trafford, millions of people watching, etc.), but they showed very good character.

Garnacho really looked like the Energizer bunny from the 1st minute to the 98th, but I also enjoyed the way Nainoo imposed himself in midfield. They are the standouts for me in the final. Hope for the very best from those lads in the next few years.

Wheato

Best pound that I have ever spent! What an atmosphere. 68,000 people with literally no promotion, advertisement or sponsors involved in getting people to attend. A bigger crowd than any other team has had in the premier league this season. It was a delight.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Best pound that I have ever spent! What an atmosphere. 68,000 people with literally no promotion, advertisement or sponsors involved in getting people to attend. A bigger crown than any other team has had in the premier league this season. I was a delight.

I admire your honesty.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Best pound that I have ever spent! What an atmosphere. 68,000 people with literally no promotion, advertisement or sponsors involved in getting people to attend. A bigger crown than any other team has had in the premier league this season. I was a delight.

I missed that bit, I just thought they got a trophy.

I'm somewhere in the middle of your photo. Can you see me? dark blue top on if that helps.

PS. Agree with all of it and liked that crowd didn't sing any individual FT player chants. All "United".

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thought their goalscorer Powell looked decent aswell, unfazed by the stage, and with a good drive/passion about him.
Agreed. I missed the first half an hour or so, but after that I thought Powell was the obvious stand-out on the field. Almost looked like a mid-table premier league player had dropped down to play with the youth.

I wonder if he'll go on to be a good player or whether it was just because he was physically superior to his opposition this night.

Great to see the kids win the Fa Cup, hopefully some will go on to much bigger and better things for us.