FA-Youth Cup: Our boys vs Chelsea

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't really know what you could expect from Wilson up front on his own against their centre halves both of whom are fantastic.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Chelsea have some talented kids, and our defence did well restricting Chelsea to very few open chances. I thought McCullough (?) had a very good game.

Will Absolute

Chelsea have some talented kids, and our defence did well restricting Chelsea to very few open chances. I thought McCullough (?) had a very good game.
If this is a review of my review, I take your point. Aside from the bad stuff there was quite a lot of good stuff as well.

I find myself drawn to the negative though. A dark streak of Irish pessimism runs through my veins. :D

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Islam Feruz looks like a good wee player. Probably should've stayed with Celtic though, as his chances at Chelsea will be limited to non-existent.

Will Absolute

Islam Feruz looks like a good wee player. Probably should've stayed with Celtic though, as his chances at Chelsea will be limited to non-existent.
Chelsea don't have a great record of bringing young players through, do they? And yet they had some great young players out there tonight. Money talks, I suppose.

Baxter

Recorded this and watched it after work. Pearson was brilliant. Ran around, got stuck in and made some great tackles. Daelhi is class. Very intelligent and has great awareness. Blackett is also a very good prospect, but with the defensive talent at the club he might find it hard to break through at centre back.

Will Absolute

:rolleyes:

His movement/ running off the ball/ chasing down were very good. Do you judge performances purely by what someone does with the ball?
When I said he did nothing, I clearly meant he did nothing with the ball. Any aspiring professional footballer will make runs, close down, and show movement off the ball. If he didn't do that much he wouldn't be in Manchester United's academy.

But it's difficult for a footballer, whose job it is to score and assist goals, to be considered to have had a good game if he never in fact touches the ball. The truest measure of a forward has to be with the ball at his feet.

I didn't say that he had a bad game. He had a thankless job and was very well-policed. But I repeat - he did nothing.

Drainy

Its sometimes the unappreciated things, that people who only focus on what a player does with the ball at their feet can miss, that bring other players into the game more and can win games.

The unselfish and intelligent runs that despite what you claim not all players make...
Doing that work isn't nothing

Will Absolute

When I say 'he did nothing' I didn't mean nothing in the football sense. But nothing will come of nothing. And nothing more pointless than arguing about nothing. So let's say nothing more. Or I will have nothing to live for. And that's not nothing.

lysglimt

Scout
I can't share this praise of Daehli yesterday - I thought he had a pretty poor game by his standards.

Sure he is good at keeping the ball - but he tends to spin around 2-3 times without really going anywhere. And yesterday his trickery really didn't add anything offensively - when he tried something that could create chances, he lost the ball. In addition there were a couple of times when I thought he picked the wrong option. I am not saying he had a bad game - he just wan't special in any way yesterday.

Will Absolute

I can't share this praise of Daehli yesterday - I thought he had a pretty poor game by his standards.

Sure he is good at keeping the ball - but he tends to spin around 2-3 times without really going anywhere. And yesterday his trickery really didn't add anything offensively - when he tried something that could create chances, he lost the ball. In addition there were a couple of times when I thought he picked the wrong option. I am not saying he had a bad game - he just wan't special in any way yesterday.
I see what you mean, but he's difficult to close down, turns on a sixpence, and can change the direction of play, and be incisive with his short intelligent passes. Something we're lacking a bit with our present midfielders.

Not that I'm suggesting he's the answer to our midfield issues. But he's worth keeping an eye on for the future.

IanDangerously

The 2nd leg will be played on Friday the 14th of April at Stamford Bridge with a 19:30 kick-off time. Tickets on the Chelsea end are on sale now, and they have sent an allocation to Manchester United for away supporters which will be released shortly.

Anyone else going to be going and supporting our boys as they try to reach the final?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
With Rothwell back, I'm expecting a better much performance from us this time, although I thought we were unlucky to lose in that previous game. We dominated them in the second half.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Ahh, completely forgot about this, I live walking distance from Stamford Bridge. Completely sold out?

jb8521

After getting injured in Amsterdam the good news is that James Wilson is fit enough for the bench

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Wanted to go tonight but didnt know anyone else going so decided to leave it! COME ON UNITED!
We could have had a big gay internet get together. I'm not arsed enough to search around for spares though. If they were on sale at the gate it would have been different.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Rang up the ticket office a couple of hours ago and they said completely sold out so wouldn't be surprised if its the whole stadium.

Widnes

anyone got a MUTV link to pm, only got Chelsea tv it will do but would rather listen to red commentary

Danish Wizard

United:
Sutherland; Grimshaw, McCullough, Ioannou, Blackett; Barmby, Rothwell, Pearson, Dæhli, van Velzen; Byrne

Subs: Coll, Hendrie, Ekangamene, Wilson, Rudge.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rang up the ticket office a couple of hours ago and they said completely sold out so wouldn't be surprised if its the whole stadium.
I think it'll be about a third full, and the reason it's sold out will be because they didn't want to pay for the extra policing required.

It's easier than this to get tickets for Chelsea's PL games so I can't believe the stadium would be full.

lysglimt

Scout
United:
Sutherland; Grimshaw, McCullough, Ioannou, Blackett; Barmby, Rothwell, Pearson, Dæhli, van Velzen; Byrne

Subs: Coll, Hendrie, Ekangamene, Wilson, Rudge.
Well - we aren't favourites but if Barmby, Dæhlie and Van Velzen have a perfekt day - we might have a chance