FA Youth Cup v Liverpool

Mickson

yeah. its on my phone though. I assume MUTV probably has a way of knowing I am a US subscriber. Its alright I guess. I will watch the highlights. Thanks for the help
No. You are doing something wrong. Works for me. I downloaded a free VPN and just installed it, took me two minutes. "Urban" is the name of it.

United look disoriented in the first half. Had a feel for that beforehand because the balance isn't great, I would have Forson or Emeran in my team. Hugill has been invisible for the last couple of games, McNeill having a poor game so far and we lack pace on the wing. However, the team is skillful and can score from anywhere, anytime.

Last edited:

0le

Really dislike how we've set the team up today.

It's just a hodge podge of good attacking players put on the field with the hopes they can do something. McNeil isn't a 10 for me, they should have had the stomach to pick between him again Hugill. Plus starting with no natural width is a poor choice when Hughes isn't great with the ball.
Having a tactical criticism is fair enough, but to say "they do not have the stomach to do something" is just silly at this level. The whole point is to develop the players, the results are always secondary. We should be applauding the fact that the coaches take this approach, not criticising it.

Bertie Wooster

Really frustrating so far.
Neither team had really done enough to be leading when Liverpool scored. Since then we've struggled to convert our possession into many good chances - often poor final ball / choice of ball.

We don't really deserve to be losing, but just haven't done enough to equalise.

mattunited1978

doommonger
As already mentioned, really poor team selection today, trying to fit everybody in with too many out of there best position.

GueRed

dominating without creating any clear-cut chances.

havent tested their keeper enough.

4 mins to go

Mickson

Such a dumb performance so far. Poor coaching from Ryan. How Forson isn't on, I have no idea.

Drainy

Having a tactical criticism is fair enough, but to say "they do not have the stomach to do something" is just silly at this level. The whole point is to develop the players, the results are always secondary. We should be applauding the fact that the coaches take this approach, not criticising it.
It's the FA Youth Cup we should be trying to win but of course its about development in the end. That said the coaching staff let us down in terms of setting is up for playing good football.

Mickson

Big flop for this team, despite all the talent and all the resources. @Drainy is right, this game is about winning and you could see it in the lineup. Echoes of the loss against Brighton a couple of years ago. A very poor tactical setup yet again.

Bertie Wooster

Really disappointing.
We had our four best academy attacking options on the pitch but their decision making and end product in a big game was very poor.

I get the argument about not picking all 4 - but Hannibal can certainly start wide left, Shola can start wide on either side, and McNeill can start in the #10 role when needed. So it's not as if any of the four were in completely unknown territory.

They should have been able to work together. They just collectively performed poorly today with bad end product and decision making in a game that was there to be won if they'd made the right decisions in the final third more often.

lysglimt

Scout
Another poor performance in the FA Youth Cup. Unfortunately this has become something of a habit over the last 10 years. We have so many poor performances in this tournament now it's becoming annoying.

always_hoping

Very disappointing result for United with a strong team and having the extra man advantage for the final 20 minutes.

Thiagoal

The players all looked out of rhythm on both sides (not surprising given the time between games) That suited Liverpool parking the bus and we just couldn’t find the killer pass! Very disappointing

Pericles

Really disappointing.
We had our four best academy attacking options on the pitch but their decision making and end product in a big game was very poor.

I get the argument about not picking all 4 - but Hannibal can certainly start wide left, Shola can start wide on either side, and McNeill can start in the #10 role when needed. So it's not as if any of the four were in completely unknown territory.

They should have been able to work together. They just collectively performed poorly today with bad end product and decision making in a game that was there to be won if they'd made the right decisions in the final third more often.

McNeill is not a no 10. it might work against a mediocre team but not against the better sides. He is just a really good finisher and does not provide any creativity when he is not scoring.
Mejbri should have started in CM with Shoretire at 10 with proper pacy wide men like Emeran or even Hoogewerf flanking Hugill.

It is all about structure, and shoehorning all the best attacking players into roles that they are not best suited to won't work, especially against another top side.

Coops73

Poor today, why Shoretire didn’t shoot at the end there I’ll never know, the equaliser was there for the taking but once again the best player out there was Mejbri, I think he’ll be getting some minutes in the first team next year, just seems so much better than anyone else at that level.

Mickson

Poor today, why Shoretire didn’t shoot at the end there I’ll never know, the equaliser was there for the taking but once again the best player out there was Mejbri, I think he’ll be getting some minutes in the first team next year, just seems so much better than anyone else at that level.
Hannibal is by far our best youth product. Not fantastic today, but still one of the best. He is among the best players in almost every game.

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully McNeill will learn not to trash talk a team before playing them again