Fabinho | Al-Ittihad player

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
. He wouldn’t be so effective in a team that isn’t Liverpool or city.
We need to retire these sorts of excuses. Have not seen Fabinho much, but there is no way Liverpool turn the screw on Spurs (a top 4 team) like they did yesterday without Fabinho's performance. There is no way a player like that is being carried.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep for once the CAF was right about a player (it doesn't happen often). We all saw him at Monaco, all wanted him here and not only does our biggest rival go and get him he goes and be's outstanding week in week out for them

Gutting
Quite sure the caf were shouting from rooftops about Augero, Bernado Silva, David Silva and even KDB long before their moves to City :lol:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Nope I watch him very closely. I’m not saying he isn’t a good player but is very overrated. He wouldn’t be so effective in a team that isn’t Liverpool or city. Your assessment of him is correct other than he isn’t a very good passer. He is Very good defensively and can recover the ball quickly. It’s a trait you could find in players like Ndidi which is very common for their position. The problem though is he doesn’t offer much attacking wise which is fine for the way Liverpool are set up. His role is just to break up plays and give the ball to more intelligent players.

right now we are living in a time where industrious midfielders are very beneficial because most teams want to press and play with the ball. That is why Liverpool’s setup is very effective because it punishes teams thy like to play football.
From start to finish this is broadly wrong. Best bit being about giving the ball to more intelligent players. Not seen many players with as much match intelligence as Fabinho.

KennyBurner

From start to finish this is broadly wrong. Best bit being about giving the ball to more intelligent players. Not seen many players with as much match intelligence as Fabinho.
When you say match intelligence do you mean creating from deep or just defensive positioning? Because What I mean is he struggles to create from deep and isn’t press resistant.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Quite sure the caf were shouting from rooftops about Augero, Bernado Silva, David Silva and even KDB long before their moves to City :lol:
Aguero and David Silva maybe but the others? Nah (dont forget Aguero and David Silva went to City at a time where we had a prime Scholes and Rooney)

We were in need of Carricks replacement the year we were linked with Fabinho but went and got Matic and then obviously the summer Carrick retired we went and got Fred while Liverpool signed Fabinho. Such a monumental feck up

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Aguero and David Silva maybe but the others? Nah (dont forget Aguero and David Silva went to City at a time where we had a prime Scholes and Rooney)

We were in need of Carricks replacement the year we were linked with Fabinho but went and got Matic and then obviously the summer Carrick retired we went and got Fred while Liverpool signed Fabinho. Such a monumental feck up
A part of the caf thought that Bakayoko was the better player and that he was the one to sign.:lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Bernado silva was an obvious transfer that would have massively improved us and was overlooked. I remember the caf calling for his signing way before City swooped in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
When you say match intelligence do you mean creating from deep or just defensive positioning? Because What I mean is he struggles to create from deep and isn’t press resistant.
By now I'm convinced you haven't seen him play

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We should have signed Fabinho, we got Matic.

Thanks Jose.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
On the contrary he’s very press resistant, he has a great habit of drawing defenders in and waiting till the last minute before making the pass thus allowing the receiver extra time on the ball. Unlike say Henderson or to a certain extent Milner he can play in tight spaces.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I think it's a fair argument, that when the team performs well, the players in the team is looking good. Same goes for Fabinho. Hard to tell how he and others would thrive in a struggling team.

But he has been class for a while now and is our most important midfielder atm. He's very good defensively and he's press resistant. He's also good at passing the ball quickly forward, but I don't think he's ripping defenses apart with his passing, like e.g. Alonso could do.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
From the matches I have watched I wouldn't call him 'terrific'. He's certainly a better passer than your average DM but he's not on the level of great passers around, certainly not at the level where you can depend upon him to be the playmaker from the deep. That is a position Liverpool are lacking in right now, someone who can hold the ball under pressure and create from deep.
He does a lot of playmaking. He's good at picking forward passes and spreading play and is quite comfortable over 20-30 yards. I wouldn't ask for more from someone in his position.

He's no pirlo/Alonso obviously, but his ballplaying ability is well above your stereotypical "defensive" midfielder. He's like a cross between hamann and Vieira for me. Not quite as good on the ball as Vieira, but still something more than your hamanns and Mascheranos when it comes to playing the ball (and hamann I felt was underrated in that regard).

What we need are the midfielders ahead of him to be more comfortable linking midfield with attack when closer to the final third.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So... there's never a midterm?
Well it doesn't really work because as long as people rate something and don't rate it the same way there will always be a perception of over or under rating. It's a matter of point of view.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We need to retire these sorts of excuses. Have not seen Fabinho much, but there is no way Liverpool turn the screw on Spurs (a top 4 team) like they did yesterday without Fabinho's performance. There is no way a player like that is being carried.

We are not currently a top 4 team, not even close. And won’t be until the day our manager is no longer Poch.

Liverpool turned the screw on an out of form mid table team. And honesty after watching Doucoure look like prime Viera against us, and us make Brighton’s midfield look like Barca in their prime, I’m not that impressed if a midfielder bosses a game against us.

That said, Fabinho is class. The best out and out DM in the league, maybe even the word now.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Well it doesn't really work because as long as people rate something and don't rate it the same way there will always be a perception of over or under rating. It's a matter of point of view.
Très bien, monsieur. Merci pour votre temps. A little bit like it happens in the Ronaldo vs Messi thread battles, but with less posts :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We signed Fred that summer.

Thanks Jose and Woodward.
The year before we were linked with him heavily. I remember he even did a TV interview where they asked about United, and he smiled like a lunatic.

Just another in the long line of poor decision's we've made!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
At least 8 times this season. Which is too much in my opinion but NBC love liverpool nowadays.
I ask b/c I don't see how you can say he isn't press-resistant. The ball retention of he and Wijnaldum are main reasons Liverpool's midfield rarely gets overrun. He's no Scholes but he makes very good passes from deep positions as well.

thepolice123

He's the player we should have gotten. He would be the perfect fit alongside Mctominay. At Monaco he played with Bakayoko in a double pivot midfield. Bakayoko did the running about while he helped link the midfield.

He's the typical Brazilian midfielder who's good the ball and solid in defence. When I watched him at Monaco I had no doubts that he would be a success.

KennyBurner

I ask b/c I don't see how you can say he isn't press-resistant. The ball retention of he and Wijnaldum are main reasons Liverpool's midfield rarely gets overrun. He's no Scholes but he makes very good passes from deep positions as well.
Ive watched liverpool enough to know that this isn't even true. They play longballs from the back a lot against decent midfields. They hardly try to play through the middle because their midfielders are not so technical on the ball. Trent and Van dijk do this a lot to mane and salah. Plus they also get lots of help from firmino dropping so deep. Its like they have 4 midfielders who all work very hard so obviously they wont get overrun. Wijnaldum i will agree has great ball retention but thats it. 3 industrious midfielders in henderson, wijnaldum and fabinho all closing down and chasing the ball. Of course they wont ever get overrun. They reduce attacking/creative quality which they already have lots of in attack for balance. Its a good strategy for a physical league.

I think fabinho is a very good player but people will have you thinking he is a midfield general like fernandinho who can actually pass out the back while tackling and recovering the ball. I dont believing his passing is up to standard when you compare him to great players but his other defensive qualities are up there with the best. So just to be clear I feel his passing is okay but not as incredible as some of the posts Ive read in this thread.

DVG7

@KennyBurner

Just to echo some other poster' sentiments, I think you're being a little harsh on Fabinho, particularly in relation to the part where you mention that he could only play in Liverpool or City's set-up. Fabinho is such a good player that he was effective against City, pretty much dominating the midfield when he played against them for Monaco. In those games, he had that aura about him like he was the best player on the park and I think he has now been multiple times for Liverpool despite some more star-studded names in the line-up.

I think it would be fair to call him a complete midfielder, but my favourite thing about him is his first touch, it's almost always spot on, whether he needs to control it or play it first time. When he has some time and space, he sets the ball up for a long pass the way Scholes does; first touch with the inside of his foot, second touch with the outside to get it out in front of him and then pings consistently accurate balls out to the channels. He makes that look considerably easier than what it is. It's on show throughout this video but from 1:20 to 1:50 you can see several of the Scholes like touches;

Another thing to commend him on would be his attitude. He was Monaco's penalty taker and has an almost perfect record from the spot, but I have yet to see him try and take the ball from Milner or Salah despite having a better conversion rate than them both.

Of all the signings Liverpool made, this was the one that bothered me the most because his potential was clear to see. There simply wasn't any chance of him going the way Bakayoko went for Chelsea, so annoyingly Liverpool have one of the top central midfield players in the world, in his peak years. Hopefully, he'll want to go back to Real Madrid in the next few years and prove to them why they should have kept him around.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There was like a 15 minute spell where he was spraying lob balls around like there was no tomorrow. It was quite the watch.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We are not currently a top 4 team, not even close. And won’t be until the day our manager is no longer Poch.

Liverpool turned the screw on an out of form mid table team. And honesty after watching Doucoure look like prime Viera against us, and us make Brighton’s midfield look like Barca in their prime, I’m not that impressed if a midfielder bosses a game against us.

That said, Fabinho is class. The best out and out DM in the league, maybe even the word now.
Ok fair enough but it's been a while since I've seen a side pinned back like that with wave after wave of attack. No lie if not for your keeper it would have been a cricket score. City do it but with more finesse, this was like a sledgehammer, reminiscent of Fergie's earlier sides.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Ive watched liverpool enough to know that this isn't even true. They play longballs from the back a lot against decent midfields. They hardly try to play through the middle because their midfielders are not so technical on the ball. Trent and Van dijk do this a lot to mane and salah. Plus they also get lots of help from firmino dropping so deep. Its like they have 4 midfielders who all work very hard so obviously they wont get overrun. Wijnaldum i will agree has great ball retention but thats it. 3 industrious midfielders in henderson, wijnaldum and fabinho all closing down and chasing the ball. Of course they wont ever get overrun. They reduce attacking/creative quality which they already have lots of in attack for balance. Its a good strategy for a physical league.

I think fabinho is a very good player but people will have you thinking he is a midfield general like fernandinho who can actually pass out the back while tackling and recovering the ball. I dont believing his passing is up to standard when you compare him to great players but his other defensive qualities are up there with the best. So just to be clear I feel his passing is okay but not as incredible as some of the posts Ive read in this thread.
The bolded is not true. They hardly play through the middle because their strategy is to play the ball down the channels to their wide men in space or have their fullbacks put in dangerous crosses. They don't play through the middle simple because they are geared to play that way. Again Fabinho looks tidy nearly every time I watch him play. He can short pass to break the lines or switch play. I guess we are watching 2 very different Liverpool teams.

Withnail

He wasn't good enough for United, remember? Like Mane, Robertson, Van Dijk and numerous others.

Fabinho would be our best midfielder hands down including Paul Pogba. Fabinho turns up on the regular, not one in ten games. Pogba on top form is the better player, of course, but it means feck all when he doesnt turn up.
He'd probably turn up more regularly with someone like Fabinho beside him.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When I say match intelligence I mean he’s match intelligent. Honestly, I know we have to go through this dance about Liverpool players but Fabinho has been so good over the past 10 months. An absolute midfield general. Tactically, a huge reason for the successful execution of Liverpool’s tactical plan - see 97 points, CL winners and 9/10 wins for evidence of this successful plan.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I would love to see a midfield of Fabinho (holding), Kante (b2b more defensive), and Pogba (b2b more attacking). That right there is a midfield that could perhaps overpower even City’s midfield.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There was like a 15 minute spell where he was spraying lob balls around like there was no tomorrow. It was quite the watch.
yes it was! I noticed before he loves a lobbed pass, but yesterday 2nd half, he must have done about 6 or 7, most of them finding their target, including the assist for the 1st goal, and if their finishing had been a bit sharper, Salah could have had a goal or two from those lobbed passes too. It's very cool to watch.

Most of them are in this video:
He is such a fine player.

Perseus

Fabinho reminded me of Lawrenson in his prime (as a footballer).

B20

Supports
Liverpool
yes it was! I noticed before he loves a lobbed pass, but yesterday 2nd half, he must have done about 6 or 7, most of them finding their target, including the assist for the 1st goal, and if their finishing had been a bit sharper, Salah could have had a goal or two from those lobbed passes too. It's very cool to watch.

Most of them are in this video:
He is such a fine player.
Such a brute. @KennyBurner

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@KennyBurner

Just to echo some other poster' sentiments, I think you're being a little harsh on Fabinho, particularly in relation to the part where you mention that he could only play in Liverpool or City's set-up. Fabinho is such a good player that he was effective against City, pretty much dominating the midfield when he played against them for Monaco. In those games, he had that aura about him like he was the best player on the park and I think he has now been multiple times for Liverpool despite some more star-studded names in the line-up.

I think it would be fair to call him a complete midfielder, but my favourite thing about him is his first touch, it's almost always spot on, whether he needs to control it or play it first time. When he has some time and space, he sets the ball up for a long pass the way Scholes does; first touch with the inside of his foot, second touch with the outside to get it out in front of him and then pings consistently accurate balls out to the channels. He makes that look considerably easier than what it is. It's on show throughout this video but from 1:20 to 1:50 you can see several of the Scholes like touches;

Another thing to commend him on would be his attitude. He was Monaco's penalty taker and has an almost perfect record from the spot, but I have yet to see him try and take the ball from Milner or Salah despite having a better conversion rate than them both.

Of all the signings Liverpool made, this was the one that bothered me the most because his potential was clear to see. There simply wasn't any chance of him going the way Bakayoko went for Chelsea, so annoyingly Liverpool have one of the top central midfield players in the world, in his peak years. Hopefully, he'll want to go back to Real Madrid in the next few years and prove to them why they should have kept him around.
Great post

DVG7

Great post
Thanks. He's just a great player to watch. If I was in my teens, then i'd probably be finding ways to criticize him simply because he plays for our biggest rival. But being a bit older and not getting as angry with the sport as I used to, you have to appreciate a quality player when you see one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, he was the engine of the Monaco side that won the league with 95 points and reached a CL semi-final. In which he was one of only two monaco players who looked like they belonged at that level against juventus btw

That side then lost Mbappé, Lemar, Bernardo, Bakayoko and Mendy -literally half their outfield starters- and went on to finish second in the league with 80 points. Then they sold him....and completely fell apart. Meanwhile, look at liverpool