Fabio da Silva | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasaStreets

New thread for this. So, what are the lad's prospects for the new season? He is on a new contract (2014) and Fergie must have high hopes. That said, he won't be displacing Evra but clearly needs first team experience. If he stays injury free, will a few cup runs be enough for him? Should he be loaned? Be developed as a winger?

Evra made an outrageous number of appearances last season and getting him some rest may be beneficial to us, but is Fabio ready to step in?

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Not sure what's going to happen to him next season, i think a loan would be best as he won't displace Evra, or even give be second in line when Sheasy is fit.

Woodzy

Too many injuries and a Mr. Evra have been a slight thorn in his side. Hopefully both he and Rafael will feature a lot this season though.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
As Barca are supposedly about to take Evra off our hands, Fabio wil now get plenty of chances.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't loan him out no. I think he's ready for games, and if he picks up knocks it's not the end of the world. He's still young and it will be good for his confidence to play. Rafaels getting experience all the time and they can help each other

I doubt Evras going anywhere so we can try Fabio in different positions if it comes to that - if he can take his goal threat into the first team what a big player he could be for us.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Striker10;8284363I said:
doubt Evras going anywhere so we can try Fabio in different positions if it comes to that - if he can take his goal threat into the first team what a big player he could be for us.
But the Glazers, debt, were selling everyone, and it's Barcelona....

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
i think Fabio could get a good few games at LB this season. We were crying out for another option there last season cause Evra was fecked during the run in. We could really do with a player that can give Evra a rest.

Whether Fabio gets the nod ahead of O'Shea is another matter though. If Fergie feels he is good enough, or has the potential to be good enough, he will give him the chance, just as he has given Rafael his chance.

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
Hopefully he'll start more this season and I think he will if he's fit. He has looked very suspect defensively, even more so than his brother, whenever I've seen him but playing games will hopefully improve him in that regard.

Both him and his brother would be great wing backs in a three centre back defence, but we will never play that way. They're both not good enough going forward to be wingers at this level and a bit suspect to be full backs too so finding them a position is kind of awkward even though they're both obviously very talented footballers in the general sense.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Hopefully he'll start more this season and I think he will if he's fit. He has looked very suspect defensively, even more so than his brother, whenever I've seen him but playing games will hopefully improve him in that regard.

Both him and his brother would be great wing backs in a three centre back defence, but we will never play that way. They're both not good enough going forward to be wingers at this level and a bit suspect to be full backs too so finding them a position is kind of awkward even though they're both obviously very talented footballers in the general sense.
I would say Rafael was showing himself to be a very capable defender towards the end of last season. Against Munich at home for example, he had Ribery in his pocket till he naively got himself sent off. He made mistakes last season, as a young player will do, but with more experience I think he will be a fantastic right back, and our right back for the next decade and more if he wants to be.

Fabio, I have seen less of (same as everyone) and you would have to assume he is further behind Raf in his defensive development due to the lack of game time. I would be willing to see how he progresses in that regard though. At United (and most big clubs) being great defensively is not a major requirement of a fullback 90% of the time.

032Devil

Fabio looks an all round footballer that could player anywhere.

I wonder if his talents would be wasted in defence?

RonaldoVII

It will depend on whether he can stay fit. If he does, it puts him above the rest of our crocked defence ;) Seriously though, if he can stay fit then he'll get chances to play.

Devilton

He just needs to stay fit. It almost seems like he breaks down every month, and when he or his brother do play well they have one bad moment that totally takes the shine off their season. Both have the potential, but they badly need to get a good run going and stay healthy. Fabio more so then Rafael who at least is lucky being on the right where most of our other options are either too old, too injury prone, or not good enough.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Looking for another club wouldn't a bad thing for him.I mean we'd all love to see the 2 bros making it at United but it's tough.However he's young so it depends on how patient he can be

MalteseRedDevil

fabio is just as talented as his bro. His prob is that whilst the Rb slot is there for the taking, Evra has the lb spot tied down. Until then he will be a back up.

But he is young enough and should be patient as his time is young. Evra does turn 30 next year

datura

I recon there is a chance we might see him at left wing during a Carling cup game if fit.
I'd be surprised to see him play anywhere other than full back. He was tried on the left wing for the reserves and didn't impress. It may seem a natural step up but more wide players are converted to full backs than the opposite way round.

He will get games if he stays fit and is the more natural replacement for Evra than O'Shea due to his offensive ability. Hopefully he will have a good preseason and be pushing for inclusion.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He should get a run out on the left flank. He could well be an asset on left wing.

Shimo

Maybe pre-season tour will give us a hint as to if he will get a chance in the first team. If he doesn't appear for us in any of the games then chances are slim and may be consigned to reserves or a loan.

It sucks for him - not only having to try beat out one of the best if not best left back in the world who was fit for the whole season (thankfully) but, also been injured a lot himself.

My biggest thing is will SAF break the pair up. Rafael definitely seems to be a player that can make the right back spot his own very soon but, if Fabio is sold off - will he want to stay? Maybe not follow his brother where ever he goes but, might feel less affinity for the club if he feels his brother was slighted by it.

Ferguson

Fabio = Young and lernin'

All it takes is one injury to Evra, and the fortunes of the club depend on this kid. Which is why I would be happy if United brought in Coentrao, the best left back in the World Cup.

United's style of play relies on fullbacks who can get forward and attack. If the Boltons and Wigans of this world are going to pack it in and hope for a draw, then it is pointless having the likes of John O'Shea or even Wes Brown (though he can put in a nice cross when he's on form) at fullback.

If Gary Neville retires this summer or next, then the club will need another fullback with a proven ability to get forward to go with the twins and Evra.

Injuries are inevitable every season. United's success requires that there be two players capable of doing the job at each position.

As it stands now I think Fabio has an excellent chance of featuring this season if he is healthy.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Seems to be made of glass, bags of talent though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If John O'Shea can play in midfield, so can Fabio. He is our best youngster.
actually, I have been thinking the same, maybe worth a try. However, I hope he gets much more playing time in the in the next season

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
FM declares him a wonder kid. I always use him and Evra only. I hope he can take over from Evra when he hangs up his boots.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He seems to be pretty adept playing right full back aswell, it helps with him being right footed of course. Therefore i'd like to see him get games either as 2nd choice left back or 3rd choice rightback (behind O'Shea and Rafael). Providing he stays fit there should still be plenty of opportunites for games. Evra played far too many matches last season and our rightbacks were continuously injured.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The only thing stopping Fabio is Evra
I think its time to Fabio a run in the first team. Evra started almost every league game last year. He will be exhausted towards the end of the season. So we have to develop Fabio to take over from Evra so Evra can take a break.

I think its time to Fabio a run in the first team. Evra started almost every league game last year. He will be exhausted towards the end of the season. So we have to develop Fabio to take over from Evra so Evra can take a break.
Yeah, we always look more fluent with an Evra style performance on that side. I hope we're not afraid to throw him into games rather than play O'Shea at LB. We know what O'Shea's strengths are, and his weaknesses. Fabio is a more effective wing back and when the occasion demands it we will benefit from his individual ability. He made some costly errors last year but we should see him reap the rewards of those experiences now. Im sure he will try to avoid last man fouls from now on.

beergod

The only thing stopping Fabio is Evra
Fabio's problem is not Evra, its his inability to stay fit for any reasonable period of time. He may grow out of it or may be our next Wes Brown.

Name Changed

weso26
This is one player we need to get playing. He has the potential to be a top player. He needs to sort out his fitness issues and we need to play him when he does.

Ole'sbodyguard

Fabio's being screwed by too many injuries.

Fergie's already shown a willingness to use him on the right as well so when he stays fit long enough he will get more games due to his verstatility but this will be in defence and not in another position.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Fabio's problem is not Evra, its his inability to stay fit for any reasonable period of time. He may grow out of it or may be our next Wes Brown.
indeed - I reckon there were plenty of times last season when Fergie would love to have been able to bring Fabio in to the side for Evra, to give Evra a rest, but couldn't cause Fabio was out with one of his countless injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.