Fabio da Silva | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

There's no getting around that, Vidic is usually much better when covering wide positions than that and he fecked up, but he seemed to be dragged out of position unnecessarily a few times and that was one of them.
Probably.
The edge of the box isnt exactly a wide position though so he really should have done better than that, especially as Cole was almost falling over when trying his step-overs anyway.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Was very good going forward. Not much more you could've asked for him in that aspect.
:houllier:

He's not a winger.

He's a left back, he's primarily a defender. And defensively he was poor today, attacking and overlapping is a part of being a right back but covering and defending is the most important role

Ekeke

There's no getting around that, Vidic is usually much better when covering wide positions than that and he fecked up, but he seemed to be dragged out of position unnecessarily a few times and that was one of them.
He's good when he sees the danger and gets there before an opponent. But he's not very good when the striker/winger gets there first and can slow it down then take him on, like Valencia would do for us. Thats always been when Vidic gets undone. And to make the scenario even worse, it leaves a massive gaping hole in the middle of our defence if the ball gets crossed in because Vidic is so dominant in that area. When he's dragged out we're exposed and thats one of the keys to getting success against us

Dion

Nha I'm with Brwned here, Vidic is one of the very best when he's forced to go out wide, even when he's beaten to the ball.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

He's not a winger.

He's a left back, he's primarily a defender. And defensively he was poor today, attacking and overlapping is a part of being a right back but covering and defending is the most important role
What's the houllier about? :rolleyes:

You said he was good going forward. I disagreed. He was very good going forward.

He did the job defensively - he made no grave errors that directly led to goals or goal scoring opportunities, despite an occasional positional lapse. Because of this, it was not an average game from him. It was good.

Alex

Going to put 100 on him beig young player of the year next season stunning player.

Ekeke

Nha I'm with Brwned here, Vidic is one of the very best when he's forced to go out wide, even when he's beaten to the ball.
Its the difference between a player like him and a player like Rio. Rio is dynamic and never out of his comfort zone in a defensive area, Vidic has a problem out there for sure. A bunch of players have got success against him in those areas, not just Torres.

Dion

Rio never gets drawn out wide, his reading and organising is too good. Plus he's generally had a more conservative rightback while Vidic has had Evra, and there are miles more natural right-footed wingers than left footed ones. One of Vidic's trademarks is how well he deals with opposition wide players when Evra is caught up the pitch, the fact it happens twice a match at least means he's bound to have once or twice a season where he gets caught out.

You're massively overstating what is actually a relative strength to his game, being 1v1 with a quick winger is going to end badly for you most of the time, Vidic is miles a head of most centerbacks when it comes to that. I even highlighted Vidic as a brilliant example of how to do it right when Smalling was having troubles covering the wide positions.

It's one of the harder things to defend against, Vidic has to do it often so it's not surprising he's beaten once or twice and it's more likely to be Torres than Ricardo Fuller.

Ekeke

Rio never gets drawn out wide, his reading and organising is too good. Plus he's generally had a more conservative rightback while Vidic has had Evra, and there are miles more natural right-footed wingers than left footed ones. One of Vidic's trademarks is how well he deals with opposition wide players when Evra is caught up the pitch, the fact it happens twice a match at least means he's bound to have once or twice a season where he gets caught out.

You're massively overstating what is actually a relative strength to his game, being 1v1 with a quick winger is going to end badly for you most of the time, Vidic is miles a head of most centerbacks when it comes to that. I even highlighted Vidic as a brilliant example of how to do it right when Smalling was having troubles covering the wide positions.

It's one of the harder things to defend against, Vidic has to do it often so it's not surprising he's beaten once or twice and it's more likely to be Torres than Ricardo Fuller.
What? Rio covers it all the time. Usually beats the player there much more than Vidic and when he is pulled out there does a better job of holding up and blocking. Rarely if ever has been skinned in that position like Vidic.

And he's had Rafael at right back who until this season, left more spaces than Evra.

You're massively covering up what is the weakest area in his defending. He's absolutely ruthlessly dominant in the air in the middle, but when moved out of there he has his problems without a doubt. Its been proven time and again

KingEric7

Must admit that when I saw the player running at Vidic, I did have my worries.

Given that Vidic is the most on-form defender in world football, those worries must have been sub-consciously based on some sort of weakness that had been recognised from past experience.

It's definitely more Ferdinand's forte, that sort of situation.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought he was very good today. He was excellent going forward and he was fine defensively. He gets caught no more out of position that Evra does, and everyone says how great he is. A very good game from him in my opinion.

KingEric7

fabio has slightly bit better touch and technique than rafael from what I've seen. Rafael seems to be more powerful though.
Would agree, here. I also get the impression he's a bit faster, though there's already been a post today to the contrary so there's seemingly very little in it.

This, obviously, would make sense given that it's probably only their running technique that could make the difference given genetic similarities.

Dion

And he's had Rafael at right back who until this season, left more spaces than Evra.
He's had O'Shea and Brown far more often than Rafael during the last few years, it may be Vidic's weakest area, I dont disagree, but he's still much better than 99% of the top level centerbacks at it... The rest I just flat out disagree with, Ferdinand isn't totally infallible when he's squared up either, how he wasn't sent off against AC Milan last season when he took out Goofy is beyond me.

Ekeke

Actually, that reminds me of something I noticed. I felt Fabio seemed to be a bit bigger today than he was in the past. Hopefully he's taken a few tips out of whatever Rafael is eating or doing in his workouts.
Agreed, seems a bit stronger and better balanced. Not as much as his brother but not as faint as in the past

championo

Top Stalker
We have a bunch of little warriors in these two kids. They have so much fighting spirit. We must find a way to keep them here. Any means necessary(including kidnapping ---joking)

Red_Aaron

everything he does reminds me of what rafa was doing when he first came on the scene, he's bascially Rafael-12mths

yeah he got caught out of position a few times but he competed for everything and was actually winning headers against players 2-foot taller than him!

these kids are naturals, they'll make mistakes but will quickly learn from them and they'll be world class in a couple of seasons. absolutely no question about that, in my mind

Ekeke

Even the top fullbacks in the league get caught out of position a couple of times a game. All that stuff about Sagna being the best RB in the league this season, and Evra being the best left back, they do this too. In a bad game its just as often. The twins arent much worse in that respect, its just pointed out more often because they are young emerging players and easier targets unlike their established counter-parts.

Its definitely an area they can and will improve, but they arent caught out of position a lot more than the other fullbacks in the league.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I want he and Rafa to have children asap so in 20 years we can have loads of Da Silvas.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He's not a winger.

I think defensively he did ok and you have to remember he's inexperienced in a must win game for us. I think Evra and Vidic were shakey today and it would be easy for Smalling and Fabio to feel the pressure because of that but it didn't work out that way. Teams will get chances but other then the mistakes, West Ham created little.

Getting caught out of position is not a problem in football. Players cover for players all the time. It's how teams operate. I think it's highly unrealistic to expect players not to get caught out of position now and then in a game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Superb performance from the kid today IMO, didn't look exposed defensively and was very effective in attack

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fabio Match Stats v W.Ham: 46/62 Successful Passes, 3 Interceptions, 6/7 Tackles won.

In comparison Evra made 1 Tackle, 0 interceptions.

Devil may care

Started on the right today, then moved left and ended up central, I'm really enjoying his progression this season and it's going to be interesting to see what his main position ends up being.

Neutral

BTV
Started on the right today, then moved left and ended up central, I'm really enjoying his progression this season and it's going to be interesting to see what his main position ends up being.
I am really happy for him. I was starting to wonder if it was going to happen for him at United, what with Rafael getting the jump, and Fabio picking up injury after injury, not to mention having to displace Evra.

But through injuries to others, rotation, and Fabio taking his chances he has made a marked improvement this season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Brazilian O' Shea in the making... same positional progression too. (JOS was a left back and the right and then now occasional defensive midfielder.)

Fergie's always thinking... hmmm how do I find a replacement for JOS when his legs finally goes? ;)

Widnes

Brazilian O' Shea in the making... same positional progression too. (JOS was a left back and the right and then now occasional defensive midfielder.)

Fergie's always thinking... hmmm how do I find a replacement for JOS when his legs finally goes? ;)
To be fair O'shea actually started at centre half and moved to left back. think he got swapped with Silvestre in a game when struggling with a speedy forward, Can't remember who against may have ben Basel in Europe but sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

Alex

It doesnt really matter where Fabio slots in at, he will attack

Excal

It doesnt really matter where Fabio slots in at, he will attack
That's gonna be a problem when we play him at Keeper, then...:nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.