Fabio da Silva | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

If we sign Nathaniel Clyne, that is all well and good, but shouldn't he be the one going on loan considering he's never played at this level before, instead of a player who's played in a Champions League final?
Thing is, Clyne could also benefit from the odd appearance in the PL and training with a club like United every day. Fabio is beyond that, he needs games.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Although I have no idea of Benfica's transfer plans in the summer, this loan move looks as bad as Macheda to QPR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't loan moves made to get the player plenty of playing time? Benfica already have Capdevilla and Perriera as fullbacks, plus they have the wonderful knack of producing good young South American talent, whom they'd be more obliged to develop than someone on loan.

If we sign Nathaniel Clyne, that is all well and good, but shouldn't he be the one going on loan considering he's never played at this level before, instead of a player who's played in a Champions League final?
Unless he keeps having problems with injuries, I have little doubt he'll grab a first-team place at leftback. Maxi Pereira is solid on the right but at the left Benfica has just been atrocious after losing Coentrão. They went for Emerson, a terrible player, and Capdevilla, who the manager for some reason disliked and didn't even put him up on the Champions League squad.

I have serious doubts that Capdevilla stays another season at Benfica, and even if he does I think Fabio is a much better option at the moment.

Brophs

The One and Only
Although I have no idea of Benfica's transfer plans in the summer, this loan move looks as bad as Macheda to QPR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't loan moves made to get the player plenty of playing time? Benfica already have Capdevilla and Perriera as fullbacks, plus they have the wonderful knack of producing good young South American talent, whom they'd be more obliged to develop than someone on loan.

Good point. If Macheda goes there on loan there's almost no chance of him being first choice. It then comes down to whether him playing 15-20 games at that level with possible CL involvement is worth it.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We don't know what Fabio himself has said though do we? For all we know he's demanded a chance to prove himself week in and week out in a first team somewhere himself.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Am not getting this at all. AT ALL. He was great last year, have been dying to see more of him this year and we clearly need some cover at left back. He's attack-minded but never seemed to me to be as rash as his brother. Don't understand the thinking. Wonder how he's taking it himself?

roseguy64

Agree with Amir. We've not managed to give Fabio enough games for him to progress. As it is, Evra is better than him so apart from the odd game he won't play much. It's much better to have him get guaranteed games so he can progress. Sure I'd rather him stay here and play for us but it's less of a risk loaning him out to a team who'll play him whenever he's available. Here he's not guaranteed to start and his development could be hampered. If the loan goes well he'll have improved and displace Evra and whoever we have as LB next season just like Rafael did. Rafael got plenty of games hence why he's our #1 RB. Loaning him is the best chance of that for Fabio.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If Fabio can keep fit, I don't think we need to send him on loan. I think he could get a lot more playing time here, as I doubt Evra's going to be able to play every game, even if he's made a pretty good go at it before.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
I've said this before but I don't think Fergie sees Fabio as the long term answer at left back. It's important that we have a naturally left footed left back given that Young and Nani both cut inside an awful lot when they start on that side of the pitch.

There were always going to be a couple of surprise departures given the number of players who have to be named in the 25 man squad next season and Fabio is numero uno.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
Think it has a lot to do with him being right footed actually. With both young and nani preferring to cut in, SAF wants someone who'l go on the overlap and put in crosses. Need a left footed LB for that which fabio isnt. and with rafael doing so well at RB and having jones and smalling as cover there, there really is no place there.
That's it.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I still can't really see the sense in this, to be honest. I know we say it every year, but surely Evra cannot go another season of playing 50-odd games!

It is highly unlikely that any left back we do sign will have the talent and potential of Fabio, though I suppose that is assuming we're going to buy someone and not just stick Evans out left when Evra needs a rest. Perhaps Fergie is anticipating the return of Vidic (and the rise of Smalling), and is wondering just what on earth we're going to do with Evans when Vidic is fit again.

Varun

Staff
he is two footed right? I remember seeing him crossing with his left peg.
Ofcourse he can cross with both feet, most players can, not as good with the left as with his right though. wont give us the kind of natural width evra does.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Evans at LB after this amazing season as a CB ? I cannot see it happening, I think like most have said a signing is on its way but at the same time I cannot understand why.Why not give Fabio more playing time and see him challenge Evra properly ?
SAF knows best though

Varun

Staff
I still can't really see the sense in this, to be honest. I know we say it every year, but surely Evra cannot go another season of playing 50-odd games!

It is highly unlikely that any left back we do sign will have the talent and potential of Fabio, though I suppose that is assuming we're going to buy someone and not just stick Evans out left when Evra needs a rest. Perhaps Fergie is anticipating the return of Vidic (and the rise of Smalling), and is wondering just what on earth we're going to do with Evans when Vidic is fit again.
Very unlikely to happen after the kind of season he's had at CB. even then, SAF likes his fullbacks to maraud forward, evans will be a more solid LB rather than providing a good attacking outlet at the same time. With young and nani cutting in from the left, we need a natural left footer there imo which isnt exactly fabio.

dev1l

when we signed evra, everyone was surprised as heinze was still on top.
However time proved saf right....maybe he s planning to do the same once again.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
from the mail
Fergie insists Fabio has bright future as United boss prepares loan spell for defender

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Manchester United defender Fabio will spend next season on loan, probably in Portugal.

Benfica have been mentioned as one potential destination for the 21-year-old twin brother of Rafael, although Ferguson has confirmed he has received a number of inquiries.
'Yes, we will put him out on loan, possibly to Portugal next season,' said the United boss.

'It's the best thing for him because the boy is going to be a very good player.

'He is not as strong as his brother but there are now signs that is becoming a bit better.'

Fabio did start last season's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona at Wembley and was also in the line-up for this term's Barclays Premier League opener at West Brom.

However, his appearances have become increasingly limited and Fabio's only Premier League appearance since November came as a second-half substitute in the five-goal hammering of Wolves last month.

'It would have been difficult for anyone as second choice because Patrice Evra has been such a consistent performer over the last five years,' said Ferguson.

'His brother has proved by getting consistent games his form has improved each time.

'A year out at a good level playing every week will make him a real top player for us.;

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
'Yes, we will put him out on loan, possibly to Portugal next season,' said the United boss.
Well that's definitely going to put an end to the Gaitan rumours.

I think it would be better for him to have a spell at a Premier League club rather than abroad, but I like what Fergie has said in the last few sentences.

Drifter

American
The mother of Manchester United full-back Fabio da Silva twins has revealed he is delighted about joining Benfica on-loan.

Laurinda Silva is now in Lisbon and is happy to have her son in the Portuguese capital.

"Fabio is excited to go. It is very settled, and I think will be good for everyone," Laurinda told O Jogo.

"He wants to make the move. I've been in Lisbon for four or five days and loved it, it's a very beautiful city, and since Fabio will be happy here I am also going to be!"

Can't help but feel this will be more than just a loan.

gza the genius

Can't really understand why he needed to be loaned out. Even if Sir Alex does feel he isn't going to be a left back he would still be useful to the squad. I'd rather have him stay and fight it out with Rafael for the right back position rather than throwing Smalling/Jones/Valencia there, and he could still be cover for Evra as well.

I'm always right

Can't really understand why he needed to be loaned out.
Because SAF still rates Evra and wants him in the side most game, and because Evra is never injured. Fabio needs games to improve, no question about that.

In the short-term it's a bad move, but I think SAF is looking at the long-term advantages of Fabio having a full season playing at a top club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This loan is the one that makes the least sense to me, I'm not challenging SAF's decision of course but I think Fabio would learn more by staying at United and playing more.
I'd have loved to him and play more

Smores

I imagine he'll have told the lad to go get experience of playing week in week out and come back and stake your claim. He'll have seen what Welbeck has done an example. There's only so much progress you can make playing the odd game.

gza the genius

Because SAF still rates Evra and wants him in the side most game, and because Evra is never injured. Fabio needs games to improve, no question about that.

In the short-term it's a bad move, but I think SAF is looking at the long-term advantages of Fabio having a full season playing at a top club.
I just think he would get plenty of playing time even if it's at right back, with the twins injury records Rafael is bound to be hurt at some point and I'd rather see Fabio there than all the other make-shift right backs we've used. But, a full season of starting (I can only assume he'd be a starter as I don't know much about Benfica) would definitely benefit him in the long run like you say.

I'm always right

I just think he would get plenty of playing time even if it's at right back, with the twins injury records Rafael is bound to be hurt at some point and I'd rather see Fabio there than all the other make-shift right backs we've used. But, a full season of starting (I can only assume he'd be a starter as I don't know much about Benfica) would definitely benefit him in the long run like you say.
He won't get time at RB, SAF needs to give Smalling, Jones and Rafael minutes. That's enough for one spot.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Not likin this loan move at all. Would have rather we kept him in England gettin him regular games in the league that we hope his long term futures in rather than sendin him to live in sunny Portugal. A bit worried that he'll like it that much he wants to stay there or that his brother decides he wants to go too.

Rossa

I think a season at a more technical league will do the kid wonders. He appears to me even quicker than his brother and even better in attack. If he can continue to work on his link-up play and technique he can be that small technically gifted player to take us up a notch in the European games in a couple of seasons.

If we buy Clyne, he can play both left and right, and Giggs has been quite brilliant as a left back on a couple of occasions ;) Heck, even Anderson could slot in if necessary.

Amir

This loan is the one that makes the least sense to me, I'm not challenging SAF's decision of course but I think Fabio would learn more by staying at United and playing more.
I'd have loved to him and play more
So do we all, but I guess the idea is making sure he gets a full season of games - fitness permitting - will be more beneficial for him and us.

Ekeke

Sir Alex said something about his brother being stronger. I think the idea is that he's behind in the pecking order and not getting much game time, so we're loaning him out for a season and in that time he hopes he'll be stronger when he comes back. I dont see why a premier league team hasnt asked about him though, staying in this league would certainly make sure he gets stronger, faster.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Sir Alex said something about his brother being stronger. I think the idea is that he's behind in the pecking order and not getting much game time, so we're loaning him out for a season and in that time he hopes he'll be stronger when he comes back. I dont see why a premier league team hasnt asked about him though, staying in this league would certainly make sure he gets stronger, faster.
Everton would have been perfect, especially if Baines is leaving. Benfica have already got a few left backs with Emerson (26 years old) playing most of the games. The other two are a 34 year old and a 19 year old. Not sure how much game time Fabio will get. I'd have preferred him to stay at the club or go to another Premier League side.

Ekeke

The one thing thats possibly key here is that in the past when Fabio was talked about, it was Benfica who were asking about him then as well. Perhaps we're letting it go ahead and Fabio has picked them out because they expressed a keen interest in him and have come back in for him, which would suggest he'd get gametime.

Comsmit

It's clear Ferguson rates him very highly, he started the Champions League Final in 2011 and was excellent for the final few months of that campaign. This can only be a good move for him, Benfica are an attacking team playing in an attack-minded country/league.

Personally I think he is a cut above Rafael, and the better long-term prospect. Fabio has shown me much more in much less game time than his twin. I think the quotes from his dear old mother are encouraging...we want him to enjoy the loan and enjoy his football as he will come back a better player and individual.

One could perhaps cite Macheda's Sampdoria loan to see how a negative outlook can contribute to stalling a young players development.

Amir

Looking at his injuries and the fact he would be considered a relative risk as a defender, I'm not sure why people expect PL clubs to jump at the chance to sign him on loan. Certainly ones who may battle relegation - and that's probably something like half the league fears when the season starts.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Everton would have been perfect, especially if Baines is leaving. Benfica have already got a few left backs with Emerson (26 years old) playing most of the games. The other two are a 34 year old and a 19 year old. Not sure how much game time Fabio will get. I'd have preferred him to stay at the club or go to another Premier League side.
They might look into playing him on the wing. Fabio is a versatile little fella. He caught the eyes of our scouts playing on the left wing for Brazil U-17.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
It's clear Ferguson rates him very highly, he started the Champions League Final in 2011 and was excellent for the final few months of that campaign. This can only be a good move for him, Benfica are an attacking team playing in an attack-minded country/league.

Personally I think he is a cut above Rafael, and the better long-term prospect. Fabio has shown me much more in much less game time than his twin. I think the quotes from his dear old mother are encouraging...we want him to enjoy the loan and enjoy his football as he will come back a better player and individual.

One could perhaps cite Macheda's Sampdoria loan to see how a negative outlook can contribute to stalling a young players development.
Only 99 posts, OMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.