Fabio da Silva | 2012/13 Performances (on loan at QPR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fabio, when he did get an extended run in the team looked every bit as good as Rafael albeit at right back.

There's no question about his talent as far as I am concerned. The Question to me is, if Evra does leave can we really afford to only have Fabio and Buttner as options given Fabio's injury problems and Buttner's mediocrity?

I am absolutely certain that if Fabio gets an extended run like Rafael did this season he'll lock down a place.

Robbie Boy

I'm not sure how good he can potentially be - I have seen glimpses of him over-time to suggest that he can become a good player - I'm just not sure what level he can reach and I'm not as optimistic as some on here. All I know is that he would be a far more reliable option at LB than Buttner.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fabio seems to be very injury prone, and because of that he's never really had a good run in the team. The only time he had a consistent run in the first team was in the second half of 2010/11 after Rafael got injured, and Fabio took over. He was consistently first choice and got picked to start in the Champions league final and was one of the few who played at an acceptable standard (the other being Rooney). He's always showed some promise while he was here, and was rated more highly than Rafael when they came to United as well.
Another big problem for him was he has Evra in front of him, who is incredibly fit and basically never gets injured, and plays 50+ games a season for us. Fabio's only chances were to either play right back and compete with a few others or get games in fa/carling cup.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I absolutely do not want him going on loan next season. When fit he should be first choice cover for both fullbacks. Once he gets over his injuries he'll grow.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
----------------De Gea
Rafael---Jones---Smalling---Fabio

That's an absolutely fantastic back five.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
----------------De Gea
Rafael---Jones---Smalling---Fabio

That's an absolutely fantastic back five.
Potentially, yes. It's a back five which includes at least three fairly big X factors at the present time, though.

manutddjw

The reason why Fabio gets the benefit of the doubt and is rated so highly is because he proved in the 2010/2011 season that he was more than capable of being a starter for us with his prolonged spell at right back. It's the same reason why we defend Nani, Valencia or Rooney when they are off form. They've proven what they can do in the past and what level they are capable of playing at. That's why they get a pass and players who haven't had that consistent spell of being good such as Gibson, Buttner or Ashley Young don't. Add that to the fact that Fabio is still young and can get even better, theres a good reason to be optimistic about Fabio and rate him highly.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Fabio, when he did get an extended run in the team looked every bit as good as Rafael albeit at right back.

There's no question about his talent as far as I am concerned. The Question to me is, if Evra does leave can we really afford to only have Fabio and Buttner as options given Fabio's injury problems and Buttner's mediocrity?

I am absolutely certain that if Fabio gets an extended run like Rafael did this season he'll lock down a place.
Nail on head. Fabio has already shown us very good stuff when he got his run. What's held him back are injuries as well as Evra's outstanding form.

If Evra stays, which I hope is the case, I say bring back Fabio and let him and Buttner compete for the LB spot. And cut back on Evra's games. Yes, he never gets injured but he's getting up there and we'll need him sharp as can be for the latter stages of CL action.

If Evra goes, it's a throw of the dice whether we leave it up to Fabio and Buttner to sort it out between the two of them. Baines becomes a real option at that point, but as good as he is I'm just not sure about the wisdom of Moyes of bringing back one of his former players with him. The best solution here, it seems to me, is to keep Evra and let Fabio and Buttner compete as Evra's cover man, with the full assurance Evra won't be playing 50+ games this season.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Still has it all to prove as far as i'm concerned. Potentially could be a very good player but has he really improved much since he came here? I remember his first couple of games thinking he was the dogs bollocks but can't really think of any part of his game that has since got notably better, whereas Rafael has improved in most aspects significantly. He's had 5 seasons in England now, so will probably need to be challenging for a first team place pretty soon or he might move on. I still think he's better on the right than on the left, and i think we benefit better from having a left footer on that side.

gza the genius

Giving him a run on the wing or at right-back to make up for the lack of games is also an option.
I liked the idea of having Rafael and Fabio being the right back options with Evra and Buttner as left back options. I'd rather not see Jones or Valencia at right back anymore Eden though they do a decent job.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I liked the idea of having Rafael and Fabio being the right back options with Evra and Buttner as left back options. I'd rather not see Jones or Valencia at right back anymore Eden though they do a decent job.
Well we have a new right back now, so I assume he will be rafaels back up.

Devil may care

He's an excellent option as back up/competition at RB, but I don't see him being our long term LB.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well we have a new right back now, so I assume he will be rafaels back up.
Why would you assume that? We've no idea what level Varela is going to be at and given his inexperience I'd suggest it'll take at least 1 year (either on loan or with the ressies) before he's considered as 2nd choice RB. Especially with the competition he has there from Smalling, Jones, Fabio and even Valencia.

Annahnomoss

Fabio was sent to QPR on loan, and not a top club for a lower league, to learn to take more responsibility and improve his defensive work. He has managed to do improve a lot and people saying he can't step it up as our long-term replacement for Evra can't have watched many games.

The lad had incredible offensive skills the day he got here, since then it has been all about improving his defensive skills. Even if QPR has been the worst side in the league it is impossible to blame their defense, especially Fabio's left side which has been very solid.

Fabio does not look as good when he plays for QPR, as he gets to defend 95% of the games and his strength is in the offense. But when he returns to United people will instantly see that he has stepped up and learnt a lot on this loan deal. I hope he gets to start 40% of the games both for Evra's and his sake.

Cantona'sCollar

Fabio was sent to QPR on loan, and not a top club for a lower league, to learn to take more responsibility and improve his defensive work. He has managed to do improve a lot and people saying he can't step it up as our long-term replacement for Evra can't have watched many games.

The lad had incredible offensive skills the day he got here, since then it has been all about improving his defensive skills. Even if QPR has been the worst side in the league it is impossible to blame their defense, especially Fabio's left side which has been very solid.

Fabio does not look as good when he plays for QPR, as he gets to defend 95% of the games and his strength is in the offense. But when he returns to United people will instantly see that he has stepped up and learnt a lot on this loan deal. I hope he gets to start 40% of the games both for Evra's and his sake.
Cannot agree more - it surely was an invaluable experience for him, both in learning to defend and in learning to not shirk any responsibility, too. At QPR, although not playing every game (due to injuries and a few stupid selections), it's fair to say that he was a big name (as the supposed future left back of a certain Manchester United) & he'd have to be able to adapt to that, instead of being the youngster with no great pressure on him that the United team would carry (or rather, have Rio/Vidic paper over the cracks) during Carling Cup games & the such.

I think he's going to be much better now, having played a few games for a weaker club. He had to do all the defending on his left side (such was the quality of the players to his right, he simply wasn't afforded time to impress by bombing up the wing) & learn to position himself and prioritize the defensive side of things. It will make for a nice balance when he is allowed to play his usual attacking stuff back here with us. I also found it interesting when Macheda, while on loan at Sampdoria, said something along the lines of only just realizing how lucky he was to be a United player after playing for a struggling relegation-fodder team. I am sure Fabio will be the same, & will return with renewed vigour & harness his hunger to be a top, top player at a world-famous club - he now knows that he's in a position millions would kill to be in.

Annahnomoss

Cannot agree more - it surely was an invaluable experience for him, both in learning to defend and in learning to not shirk any responsibility, too. At QPR, although not playing every game (due to injuries and a few stupid selections), it's fair to say that he was a big name (as the supposed future left back of a certain Manchester United) & he'd have to be able to adapt to that, instead of being the youngster with no great pressure on him that the United team would carry (or rather, have Rio/Vidic paper over the cracks) during Carling Cup games & the such.

That is exactly what he lacked before. He has a way better offense than his brother but Rafael made up for it with defensive improvements and started being rated very high due to it. Fabio just didn't seem to have the same mentality of refusing to let anybody pass. Rafael fouled away a lot due to that mentality in the start but he has improved a lot since then and now that mentality really shines through in a good way.

Fabio at QPR has that exact same mentality, something I never saw in him before. Previously he looked most interesting in playing football when we had the ball but in QPR he really thinks not letting the opponent pass is the number 1 concern and any sort of offense is secondary.

That is exactly what he was sent there to learn. I think that Moyes will also be very beneficial for Fabio/Rafael as he wants extremely offensive wing-backs to provide width and crosses which suits them great. That probably means Smalling/Jones won't see a lot of games as right backs which will be good for us.

Name Changed

weso26
Fabio needs to be in and around the first team next season. He clearly has the potential that Rafael has. Fabio just struggled more with injuries and his career has suffered. If we can get him fit and firing on all cylinders, I think we will have him and his brother as first choice full backs for ten years.

Cantona'sCollar

That is exactly what he lacked before. He has a way better offense than his brother but Rafael made up for it with defensive improvements and started being rated very high due to it. Fabio just didn't seem to have the same mentality of refusing to let anybody pass. Rafael fouled away a lot due to that mentality in the start but he has improved a lot since then and now that mentality really shines through in a good way.

Fabio at QPR has that exact same mentality, something I never saw in him before. Previously he looked most interesting in playing football when we had the ball but in QPR he really thinks not letting the opponent pass is the number 1 concern and any sort of offense is secondary.

That is exactly what he was sent there to learn. I think that Moyes will also be very beneficial for Fabio/Rafael as he wants extremely offensive wing-backs to provide width and crosses which suits them great. That probably means Smalling/Jones won't see a lot of games as right backs which will be good for us.

Spot on - Fabio is just as mentally strong as Rafael, but simply not as 'mental'. He has always been extremely elegant and composed as a player, which is the reason he played winger for Brasil youth (while being captain), took free-kicks, etc. He was simply much more refined. However, it would take him a long time to let the quality shine through when playing at the PL pace because of his slight frame, inexperience and injury problems. Rafael was very different, in that he had a 'me against the world' bull-dog mentality, which was obviously aided by his impressive physique he has managed to build in the last 2 years. Thankfully, Fabio is now showing he has what it takes to be a top class player.

Again correct about Moyes, too - just watch any Everton game. He uses 2 inside forwards (like Mirallas) around his centre forward, which means the front men provide 0 natural width in that 4321 formation. Instead, he has his 2 full-backs providing all the attacking wide-play, & we will see an even better, more Manchester United-like version of that here because our full-backs can attack with a lot more freedom knowing that they have the quality of Rio & Vidic behind them, instead of Jagielka and Yobo, or something of that sort. It is the perfect style of football for the twins to flourish in, & I have no doubt they'll do just that. & Yes, hopefully Smalling is now going to be first choice step-in for when one of Rio or Vida are not available, as he is clearly the future. I don't know about you, but Jones simply is terrible at right-back. All the better for Rafael.

Status
Not open for further replies.