Fabio da Silva | 2012/13 Performances (on loan at QPR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Evra's some kind of super human. I've actually given serious consideration to the theory that we actually have numerous Evras all stored away somewhere and when 1 gets tired we just unwrap another one.
Could well be. I'm yet to see him lose pace...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A player that plays all the games doesn't necessarily have a better loan spell than one that plays 15 games. It's all about gathering experience. Negative and positive. Being apart of a squad that's in a relegation battle is quite the experience. Better than being at Southampton for my money.

He also went through two managers this season. Probably learned something from both. Learned from mistakes (he's seen a lot now) and learned to properly lose.

I bet SAF sees this as a proper learning experience for Fabio and overall a successful loan spell..

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
You think 'Arry won't stay? Not so sure about that. He might well do just that if he gets the chance - much better situation for him: Some money to spend, a fair enough squad to build from and promotion as his goal. You could find worse candidates for such a gig. He's not a miracle worker but I'd say he's more than capable of getting QPR up again.

Disclaimer: If you mean Ben Haim and not 'Arry in b) I will...grind my hat into very tiny pieces, which I will then sprinkle as garnish over my Sunday lunch tomorrow.
I did mean Redknapp, but ben Haim probably won't be there either - his contract runs out at the end of the season does it not anyway?

LR7

I wonder what happened yesterday then for Fabio to drive off from Loftus Road at HT then SAF to come out with this? Just annoyance at his non-selection?

Anyway I assume he will be in front of Büttner in the pecking order when he gets back.

Aint gota Kalou

Fergie has revealed that Fabio will return to the club in the summer and be part of next year's squad.

Don't know how many games he'll get with Buttner and Evra at LB and Rafael set as first choice RB with Jones/Smalling available there too but I hope he gets enough games.
I wouldn't be surprised if Buttner goes out on loan and Fabio takes the number 2 spot. I think its got to that point where we're going to have to try and manage Evras games a bit more carefully.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I did mean Redknapp, but ben Haim probably won't be there either - his contract runs out at the end of the season does it not anyway?
Yeah, I think it does. As for 'Arry - it now looks as though the owner isn't as minted (or at least not as willing to splash the cash) as I thought he might be. Which means the likelihood of Harry staying diminishes, I suppose. If nobody's willing to invest in the squad they're headed for real trouble if a number of their current mainstays leave at the end of the season. Sinking ship, by the looks of it, actually.

Anyway, Fabio got some experience - I think it was necessary for him to be out on his own for a while, and he played a fair bit of PL football too. Hopefully it was enough - and that he's ready to feature for us. I agree with those who see him mainly as a back-up for his brother initially. Evra isn't that old - and he looks sharper now than he did a couple of years ago! But Fabio will get minutes: The combined roles of Jones (as RB) and Büttner (as LB) this season could be his, so to speak.

Amir

I wouldn't be surprised if Buttner goes out on loan and Fabio takes the number 2 spot. I think its got to that point where we're going to have to try and manage Evras games a bit more carefully.
I think so too regarding Buttner going out on loan, but the one worry is Fabio's fitness not really being proven yet. We could easily find ourselves with no backup for Evra for periods.

Woodzy

I really hope he has a part to play next season. Still hope that he can reach Rafael's level.

Feel a bit sorry for him, can't be nice seeing your twin brother win the league when you are struggling to get games for the one of the worst teams in premier league history.

Cevno

He was injured for a while. Only missed 1 game and today since he came back. So he's not been struggling to get games for them when fit.

Drifter

American
Rafael as proven that given time, you can grow into your position. Hopefully Fabio will be given the chance ,but with Evra and Buttner vying for the spot, he might find it more difficult than his brother.

Goooose

He won't be good enough next season. He's been playing/training with a bunch of players who couldn't give a shit whether they win or lose. He'll need a full pre-season with us and maybe then he could play in the league cup or make sub appearances.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fabio going on loan to QPR baffled me because Fabio has played in a Champions League final for Man Utd against Barcelona and nothing he was gonna come up against in the relegation dog fight was going to match that. Rafael came through into the first XI without having to go on loan so why couldn't Fabio? To my mind he's better than Buttner. I really don't get what either Fabio or United have gained from his time at QPR.

Cevno

He will be more than good enough to be a squad player. He might end up as Phil Neville to Rafael's Gary neville though.

At QPR he has done very well when he's had constant run of games. Weirdly he's not been allowed to go attack the wings much though under first Hughes and then Redknapp.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
He was injured for a while. Only missed 1 game and today since he came back. So he's not been struggling to get games for them when fit.
Was he actually injured because I couldn't find anything for a while.

I doubt he'll play much in their remaining games. QPR will probably try and showcase some of the players they want to get rid of in the summer. Still it's been a decent loan spell overall.

Goooose

It's going to be very hard for him next season. His standards will have dropped though, even if he's given 100% in training and on the pitch. Him playing in a CL final is irrelevant.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
When discussing whether Fabio's reintroduction to the squad the next season and what this means for Buttner: Isn't Fabio actually right footed and would probably be a backup for right back as well as the left back?

NM

When discussing whether Fabio's reintroduction to the squad the next season and what this means for Buttner: Isn't Fabio actually right footed and would probably be a backup for right back as well as the left back?
Fabio can really play anyway. LB, RB, played winger for QPR and am faily sure he has played in midfield before.. That is his problem really. No fixed position

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think he'll do fine when he comes back. He's got an additional 20 odd games under his belt. He's probably matured a lot as well what with him having to live in London and away from the familiar surroundings.

Dominos

Fabio going on loan to QPR baffled me because Fabio has played in a Champions League final for Man Utd against Barcelona and nothing he was gonna come up against in the relegation dog fight was going to match that. Rafael came through into the first XI without having to go on loan so why couldn't Fabio? To my mind he's better than Buttner. I really don't get what either Fabio or United have gained from his time at QPR.
Spot on. It was baffling at the time and even worse in hindsight.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Baffled? What? You don't know what he's gained? How about 20 games of PL football. How many did Buttner play?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rafael made it into the first team because we had no concrete right back. At one point, Patrice Evra was arguably one of the best left backs in the world, who is also vice captain. Quite simply, if Evra is fit, Evra is picked, with very, very few exceptions. Fabio needed the loan, and he is very unlucky that Evra was in his way. Rafael only had Wes Brown, Gary Neville and John O'Shea in his way when he first joined us, and all 3 were never nailed on starters anymore, except for O'Shea during a certain period, but he was gradually phased out.

20 games, with the possibility of a few more. Good loan. He's looked like their best player on a few occasions. Valuable experience of playing for a team fighting for every point.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Looking forward to seeing him next year, I just hope he gets some game time here. He can cover for Rafa at RB and Evra/Buttner at LB, so hopefully he can stay injury free and have a decent season and kicks on over the next few years.

Rafael and Fabio and right and left back is my dream.

ricky-romeo

Rafael made it into the first team because we had no concrete right back. At one point, Patrice Evra was arguably one of the best left backs in the world, who is also vice captain. Quite simply, if Evra is fit, Evra is picked, with very, very few exceptions. Fabio needed the loan, and he is very unlucky that Evra was in his way. Rafael only had Wes Brown, Gary Neville and John O'Shea in his way when he first joined us, and all 3 were never nailed on starters anymore, except for O'Shea during a certain period, but he was gradually phased out.

20 games, with the possibility of a few more. Good loan. He's looked like their best player on a few occasions. Valuable experience of playing for a team fighting for every point.
agreed. take nothing away from rafael but he has an easier path towards becoming our first choice RB.

fabio has evra in his way. he just needs to stay patient and improve as a player. evra is 31 and in a season or two he might not be an automatic first choice LB anymore. what fabio need now his to make himself a better player. as much as i want to see him in our 25 man team next season, if a premiership club is willing to take him on loan can offer him a place with a guaranteed 25-30 matches through out the season at least, i'll say he should take it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm 'afraid' Moyes will bring in Baines which will definitely hamper Fabio's development. I say afraid but I like Baines and think he's very very good so it wouldn't be a disaster, but I love Fabio and would love to see him turn into a first team regular for us. When on form he's a very good player and I think he's got what it takes to succeed here, but he needs consistency which will only come during a no injury season (like Rafael had this year). I'd love it if we had the twins both bombing down the wings for us on a regular basis!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
LB: Evra and Buttner
RB: Rafael and Fabio

Baines is a waste of money.

Mojo_pin

I think the Baines option is old news. I wouldn't be surprised if either Digne or Alex Sandro are signed for the LB position.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I dont see Evra as "planning" - the guy is getting to the end of his career. FB is a position where he is less likely to be able to play into his mid 30s. Also Buttner seems a decent backup but I doubt he will be more than a squad player.

There is definitely room for a good LB. I would prefer Fabio as he has a few years on Baines, but either is a great option to have. I think we would struggle to rotate Evra and Baines if we had both though, maybe in a couple of years time.

Rossa

LB: Evra and Buttner
RB: Rafael and Fabio

Baines is a waste of money.
Agreed 100%!!

Baines is no better than Evra, and imo Evra is better for United than Baines would be, nor is Baines that much younger. He has a cracking left foot though!

I think with Evra and Rafael as first choice FBs with Büttner and Fabio as back up are great options - then we also have Jones and Smalling who can contribute on the right.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Moyes gave Coleman playing time on the right-wing to get him match experience, so there's potential that he will give Fabio games on the wing too. Fabio and Rafael using their psychic twin connection linking up together on the wing would be brilliant (and hilarious!)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Moyes gave Coleman playing time on the right-wing to get him match experience, so there's potential that he will give Fabio games on the wing too. Fabio and Rafael using their psychic twin connection linking up together on the wing would be brilliant (and hilarious!)
Shame they are so short, imagine trying to mark them both at corners, you'd never know who was your man!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
IF we sell Nani and Valencia continues to be shite then I'd love for the twins to start on the right or at least I hope Moyes gives it a try in pre-season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Following my rant in the Nani thread, some might think that I'm a right negative fecker after this opinion on Fabio I'm about to put up - but I'm really not.

I'm not going to say that Fabio is not talented or anything like that. I just find it strange how highly he's rated among United fans. I mean in the Varela thread someone just posted "Can't see him being in the first team much at all next season, Fabio will likely be a better option as rb if Rafael is injured/rested."

Now there is nothing wrong with that statement really - because chances are he's right. Fabio probably has a higher chance playing more games than Varela (if he doesn't go out on loan). But its comments like that which makes me wonder how highly rated United fans think of Fabio. We've been linked with many right backs and left backs over the past few weeks/months; and yet, the most common reply seems to be "Fabio is a better option than him, we don't need him". It confuses the shit out of me. Fabio is a decent player, and he's still young - but I personally haven't seen anything of the sort from him that would guarantee a left back spot once Evra is done. In my opinion, Rafael is so ahead of him in terms of development that it's borderline unfair. I know injuries has hampered Fabio's career so far, but Rafael does seem like twice the player at the moment and that's clearly down to the faith Fergie has put into him. With that being said, even though Rafael is one of the first names of the team sheet these days along with RVP, DDG and Carrick, Rafael has clearly a couple of attributes that needs grafting.

So far, this post has been pointless. It's just me saying how I'm confused with how highly rated Fabio is amongst some/many United fans. So here I go: even though I think Fabio is one talented player, I don't actually think his long-term future will be with United. I don't personally think he'll be ready for the first team when Evra eventually finishes in a year or two's time. Is that totally down to Fabio? Not at all. I think he's been unfortunate with his injuries, and his loan at QPR didn't go down very well despite having a couple of MOTM performances.

I'm surely not the only one on redcafe who believes this? I do hope I'm wrong. Seriously, I do. A year or two ago, I desperately wanted a Rafael-Fabio duo running down the opposite wings. But I just can't see it happening.

I just hope that Moyes can rekindle my hope, because he has done wonders with Coleman at Everton.

APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO THOUGHT THAT I WAS BUMPING THIS THREAD WITH AN UPDATE REGARDING HIS STATUS IN THE SQUAD FROM THE CLUB.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
But for injuries Fabio would already be at Rafael's level. This isn't based on some lame twin theory either. Fabio has shown how good he can be with a run in the side in the build up to getting selected for the CL final.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
That is very true. I did say that injuries has hampered him big time, and I heard that United only really wanted Fabio when we signed him up, but he wanted us to sign Rafael too. That story might be wrong, but if true then clearly Fabio was the one the club had higher hopes on.

Admittedly, I do forget that he started that CL final for us - probably because of the result. Still, it was either him or Smalling and we needed his pace so it was always going to be the common sense option.

I'm not sure if I want him to go out on loan or not for next season. I don't think Buttner will go away, so I think it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.