Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Take it, Cesc. Take that contract right in your beautiful mouth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we bid again we can surely rule out the notion that we've just been trying our luck.
Not if it is rejected the same day and club and player tell us to go and feck ourselves.

If anything, that would lend further evidence to those thinking we are acting like some amateurs pissing in the wind. I prefer your theory.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we bid again then I'm assuming we'd have been reassured that Cesc would come here, irrespective of what he said at that press conference. If it's true then I'd guess that Cesc is willing to come here for more money and status but isn't willing to risk alienating the Barca fans in case the deal doesn't happen. If Barca refuse to sell then he'll happily continue with things as they are, no damage done. That's the only way this whole saga makes sense.

The Neviller

Not if it is rejected the same day and club and player tell us to go and feck ourselves.

If anything, that would lend further evidence to those thinking we are acting like some amateurs pissing in the wind. I prefer your theory.
I'd be stunned if we bid again, after what has been said, if there isn't more going on behind the scenes.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Just bid 50 million for feck sake

LR7

Here is the Telegraph article:
Cesc Fabregas remains transfer target for Manchester United who are ready to bid £40m for Barcelona player

United appeared to have abandoned their pursuit of Fabregas last week following comments by the 26-year-old which suggested he had no intention of leaving the Nou Camp, two years after returning to his hometown club from Arsenal.
After Fabregas had claimed in Malaysia during the Spanish champions’ Far East tour last Friday that he was “very happy at Barcelona”, United responded by issuing a statement insisting they “completely respect everything Cesc has said”.
However, Moyes and senior figures at Old Trafford remain convinced that Fabregas continues to harbour doubts over his first-team prospects at the Nou Camp and that the next two weeks will be pivotal in their attempts to sign the player.
It is also understood that Barcelona have indicated to United a figure which would prompt them to consider selling Fabregas, but Moyes is keen to assess the situation before sanctioning another offer following Barcelona’s rejection of bids worth £26 million and £30 million from Old Trafford.
With Fabregas facing time on the sidelines with sprained ankle ligaments — an injury which ruled him out of Spain’s friendly against Ecuador in Guayaquil on Wednesday night — Moyes is ready to monitor the player’s involvement with Barcelona in their fixtures leading up to the Sept 2 transfer deadline before lodging a third bid.
Fabregas could be back for Barcelona’s La Liga opener against Levante on Sunday and should be fit for the first leg of the Super Cup encounter with Atletico Madrid next Wednesday.
Following the Atletico tie, Barcelona face Malaga and Valencia in the league, either side of the second leg of the Super Cup, and United believe that Fabregas’s contribution to those fixtures will decide the player’s future.
While talking of his happiness at the Spanish Catalan capital and that "triumphing in Barcelona is what I have been hoping for all my life", Fabregas also admitted in Malaysia to being "flattered" by United’s interest and that his priority was to play first-team football.
Comments by new Barcelona manager Tata Martino that Fabregas would be a key player in his plans have been welcomed by the midfielder, but there is also a concern that the £53 million signing of Brazil international Neymar will ultimately lead to Fabregas losing his place in the team.
With Spain due to defend the World Cup in Brazil next summer, Fabregas is known to be determined to ensure that he plays regular first-team football in order to avoid dropping out of Vicente del Bosque’s team.
United are aware, however, that prising Fabregas from Barcelona remains a difficult challenge and that there is no guarantee that a third bid will prove successful, despite the indications from the Nou Camp of a potential transfer fee. United chief executive Ed Woodward, having made it clear that Wayne Rooney will not be sold this summer, is also keen to deliver a statement of intent in his first season at the helm by securing the services of a player in the Fabregas bracket.
Moyes is expected to return to former club Everton with bids for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini in the coming days, but there remains a desire at the highest level at United to secure a marquee signing before the transfer window closes.
On Wednesday Everton manager Roberto Martinez played down the prospects of a United bid for Baines saying one club had put in a “final offer” before his side left for a tour of Austria.
“They put something over and the valuation wasn’t anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines,” Martinez said.
“That was the end of it but since then there’s been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.
“There’s never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton.”
Efforts to persuade Real Madrid to sell Cristiano Ronaldo back to United, four years after his world record £80m sale to the Bernabéu, have failed to make significant progress and despite the champions’ interest in Gareth Bale, there is an acceptance that persuading Tottenham to sell the Wales international in the final weeks of the window would be hugely difficult.
As a long-term admirer of Real Madrid’s Luka Modric, Moyes could yet move for the former Tottenham player should Fabregas prove unattainable, but the Croatian midfielder remains a fall-back option rather than a priority target.
Similarly, Real’s Germany international Mesut Ozil is another player who could be considered if Fabregas or Barcelona deliver a definitive rejection of any further United offer.

LR7

Is there anyone who's name they haven't shoehorned into that article?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I know. Especially considering all you have to do to make a £40mil offer for something is hit send.
I know you're being ironic here but I really think submitting an offer isn't so difficult that it has to take 3 weeks.

Brophs

The One and Only
"It has cost me a lot to return to Barça and now I want to triumph here."

Exactly. "I want to triumph here". It's aspirational. He doesn't say "Even if the club accept a bid I'll be staying on". I've no doubt his first choice is to stay, but he hasn't closed the door at all.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That headline is misleading isn't it?
The article is basically saying that we will monitor if he starts or not in Barcelona's opening matches and then we will bid. Nothing about the 40m bid.

LR7

That headline is misleading isn't it?
The article is basically saying that we will monitor if he starts or not in Barcelona's opening matches and then we will bid. Nothing about the 40m bid.
The whole article seems like a stab in the dark. All the extra names flung in at the end for good measure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know you're being ironic here but I really think submitting an offer isn't so difficult that it has to take 3 weeks.

Maybe Cesc's press conference threw them? They must have been confident that Cesc wanted to come in order to make the bid. Then they see Cesc denying any interest in moving. They then have to get in contact with Cesc again to see if he was still up for the move or had changed his mind. Meanwhile, they're sussing out alternatives in case he has decided to stay at Barca. Cesc then gets back to them saying he would still be willing to move if they get an agreement with Barca. The club now weighs up whether they should continue going for Cesc with a higher bid or switch to an alternative target. After careful deliberation they decide to make another bid.

Or something like that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The whole article seems like a stab in the dark. All the extra names flung in at the end for good measure.
Liking the Ozil mention at the end.

LR7

Liking the Ozil mention at the end.
It's actually amazing that they've managed to fit Cesc, Fellaini, Baines, Cristiano, Modric and Özil into that one article, which tells me they don't actually have a clue what we're doing.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Ogden is treated like a prophet these days. I still say he knows very little about very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.