Facebook, Amazon etc....

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

Javi

It‘s been three month of negative news...reputation is gone, trust is gone, user numbers are negative, the news feed is a joke. Going to be one hell of a job fixing this mess. Without Instagram WhatsApp they‘d probably be looking for mergers.

Nikhil

Horrible company. They are not to be trusted one bit. Massive user drop in the past 7 years. People have moved over to Instagram and Twitter. Regular facebook users have dropped and continue to drop.

They like to project themselves as a champion of progressive values and charity work, but behind the scenes Zuckerberg and his cronies are a vicious bunch of people who will stop at nothing. He tried to bully Evan Spiegel of Snap after he declined to sell Snapchat to FB and told him that he'll destroy Spiegel and snapchat. That's why they bought Instagram and Whatsapp, they probably knew that they'd see a massive slide in regular users.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't use WhatsApp so no problems there. Instagram is generally a timewasting scheme.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I doubt many people care. Volkswagen is doing business as usual again.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
In all fairness, engineers at Facebook gave us React.js. Not all is bad coming from them.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Horrible company. They are not to be trusted one bit. Massive user drop in the past 7 years. People have moved over to Instagram and Twitter. Regular facebook users have dropped and continue to drop.

They like to project themselves as a champion of progressive values and charity work, but behind the scenes Zuckerberg and his cronies are a vicious bunch of people who will stop at nothing. He tried to bully Evan Spiegel of Snap after he declined to sell Snapchat to FB and told him that he'll destroy Spiegel and snapchat. That's why they bought Instagram and Whatsapp, they probably knew that they'd see a massive slide in regular users.
What?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What exactly have people been expecting Facebook was doing with all their data? Ignoring it?

If an app asks permission to access your call data you can be damn sure it's gonna access it all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not in any way excusing Facebook there by the way, but people have been extraordinarily naive.

Skills

Snitch
Hasn't this always been obvious? How did people think they made money - the guys worth 72 bn dollars?!

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I think people are generally aware that Facebook makes its money through advertising dictated by trends in user traffic. The controversy here is created by the fact that the company has been proven to effectively infiltrate user data well beyond its remit. Call history has nothing to do with Facebook, so why are they storing it? It's a huge violation.

On another note, Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram are all disgusting vehicles for narcissism in most cases. Millennial obsession with them is alarming.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not excusing Facebook, but what were people expecting? In an age when data has become the most important thing in machine learning and all top technology companies are becoming AI-first companies, they were obviously going to use that data. Likely, Google and amazon are doing the same.

Why they didn't even try to anonimize the data is a weird thing though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Apparently he sold about $1 billion's worth of shows five weeks ago, which seems dodgy timing.
Wouldn't surprise me if more big social media stock holders sell a portion of their shares as its becoming apparent that the whole golden era of social media is nearing an end. The very nature o social media monetization is built around collecting and selling data, so as that continues to come under scrutiny, many will make bets that Facebook and Google will see some serious headwinds. Unlike Google however, Facebook doesn't have all its marbles in one business.

entropy

Wouldn't surprise me if more big social media stock holders sell a portion of their shares as its becoming apparent that the whole golden era of social media is nearing an end. The very nature o social media monetization is built around collecting and selling data, so as that continues to come under scrutiny, many will make bets that Facebook and Google will see some serious headwinds. Unlike Google however, Facebook doesn't have all its marbles in one business.
They invested heavily in VR :lol:

Tarrou

Zuckerberg is such an annoying little pip-squeak. Can't imagine enough people would vote for him if he decided to run.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Zuckerberg is such an annoying little pip-squeak. Can't imagine enough people would vote for him if he decided to run.
I wouldn't be shocked to learn the Zuck for Pres stories were hatched by people at Facebook.

Tarrou

how does one do this?
That's so weird. Okay could understand why you might have the number for emergencies, but why have an entire call history with your Mrs Mum - unless you were slipping her one :lol:

entropy

That's a drop in the bucket. Their core business is still ad revenue, both desktop and mobile. That is what has driven their stock up to astronomical level since 2012.
Yup. Also, FB's ad revenue model isn't great. He just cornered a lot of the data and users leaving cos no other option.

Last edited:

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
My partner liked a post on recycling plastics on facebook, the next day she got a call from Green Peace asking for a donation, the only way they could of got her number was facebook selling data on. She's now decided to cancel her account.

Hasn't this always been obvious? How did people think they made money - the guys worth 72 bn dollars?!
The raw advertising revenue via Facebook pages is huge without the need to be more invasive.

The marketing and sales side of Facebook has grown into a beast in it's own right.