Facebook, Amazon etc....

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Look I’m no fan of Zuckerbeeg, but not sure what’s wrong with what he’s said there? FB isn’t an accredited media org and would rather not be in the business of vetting shit. Can’t say I blame them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Look I’m no fan of Zuckerbeeg, but not sure what’s wrong with what he’s said there? FB isn’t an accredited media org and would rather not be in the business of vetting shit. Can’t say I blame them.
Therein lies the problem. They aren't a media organization but are still one of the primary ways people get information. What then is to stop states or rogue entities from using them to amplify lies and propaganda to subvert elections or to generally foment chaos within a particular society ? Oh and they are also a monopoly and Zuckerberg is unapologetically profiting off of misinformation.

There has to be some form of oversight that prevents misinformation that runs counter to the greater public interest.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Therein lies the problem. They aren't a media organization but are still one of the primary ways people get information. What's to stop anyone from using them to amplify lies and propaganda to subvert elections or to generally foment chaos within a particular society ?
I suppose nothing. But then I’d take anything written on FB with a grain of salt and would expect any other reasonable person to do the same. I do understand your concern however. There’s a lot of idiots out there.

hungrywing

Her book came out a year ago but doesn't seem to have been posted.

Sometimes you'll come across a promotional tour podcast/interview that is just as comprehensive as the book; this is not one of those cases. Book goes into a lot of deeper, more interesting detail.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Her book came out a year ago but doesn't seem to have been posted.

Sometimes you'll come across a promotional tour podcast/interview that is just as comprehensive as the book; this is not one of those cases. Book goes into a lot of deeper, more interesting detail.
I went to one of her talks earlier this year and found it a little bland given the subject matter. That combined with the size of the book put me off for a while! Will give it a go in the new year then...

hungrywing

I went to one of her talks earlier this year and found it a little bland given the subject matter....
Google/Facebook probably released a gas sedative into the ventilation system.

...That combined with the size of the book put me off for a while! Will give it a go in the new year then...
A whopping thirty-five percent of it is appendices.

Sweet Square

When someone says Cuba, I think prosperity.
I would take universal healthcare over the right to buy countless flavours of bottled water. But maybe I just hate freedom.

Its just weird trying to ''own'' an american poster by saying communism didn't work when the US doesn't provide people with healthcare. Also your German, ''communism''(It was more state capitalism but whatever)stopped you lot from well...................killing everything in sight and then afterwards half of you lot got pumped full of american cash.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I would take universal healthcare over the right to buy countless flavours of bottled water. But maybe I just hate freedom.

Its just weird trying to ''own'' an american poster by saying communism didn't work when the US doesn't provide people with healthcare. Also your German, ''communism''(It was more state capitalism but whatever)stopped you lot from well...................killing everything in sight and then afterwards half of you lot got pumped full of american cash.
Just because Cuba offers better healthcare to their citizens , it doesn’t justify the state control over their citizens.I would choose “freedom” over healthcare every time.

Revan

Assumptionman

Yeah, Cuba is awesome and US is shit. That is why so many people from all over the world go to live in Cuba, and why so many Americans try to leave their country. Right comrade?

About the second point, I am not even German, so I’ll just ignore whatever you were trying to say, but I guess not much.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just because Cuba offers better healthcare to their citizens , it doesn’t justify the state control over their citizens.I would choose “freedom” over healthcare every time.
Cuba doesn’t offer better anything than US. They don’t even have drinkable water.

Sweet Square

Just because Cuba offers better healthcare to their citizens , it doesn’t justify the state control over their citizens.
I never said it did. Just pointing out that the failure of communism has given the people of Cuban universal healthcare, where as the ''success'' of capitalism in the US hasn't.

Again trying to ''own'' someone who is pointing out the awfulness of Amazon by saying - communism didn't work, is a bit stupid.

Yeah, Cuba is awesome and US is shit. That is why so many people from all over the world go to live in Cuba, and why so many Americans try to leave their country. Right comrade?
China has a billion people, does that mean Communism has won ? Holy shit I didn't know it was this easy.

Cuba doesn’t offer better anything than US.
Cuba infant mortality rate is lower than the US.

All I've done is point out Cuba has universal healthcare and you've lost it.

About the second point, I am not even German, so I’ll just ignore whatever you were trying to say, but I guess not much.
My condolences go out to the people of Germany.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Shutting it down is absurd, but a fine of just 40m is a joke too.
I’ve done a fair bit of research on Facebook and co and the likes of Cambridge Analytica, Aggregate IQ ect for an ethics module at Uni and when I have a bit more time I’ll put some of it into digestible posts on here but my main take away from it was that all the tech companies are absolutely fine with breaking the law and committing unethical behaviour because the profits and benefits will always dwarf the punishments.

Facebook are going to be doing what CA and AIQ did for Trump in 2016 for all republicans but it’s kept in house this time and imbedded deeply in their black box algorithms. It’s a zero sum game for them because they can make sure their man wins and when he does they are completely shielded from the consequences of their actions.

Revan

Assumptionman
I’ve done a fair bit of research on Facebook and co and the likes of Cambridge Analytica, Aggregate IQ ect for an ethics module at Uni and when I have a bit more time I’ll put some of it into digestible posts on here but my main take away from it was that all the tech companies are absolutely fine with breaking the law and committing unethical behaviour because the profits and benefits will always dwarf the punishments.

Facebook are going to be doing what CA and AIQ did for Trump in 2016 for all republicans but it’s kept in house this time and imbedded deeply in their black box algorithms. It’s a zero sum game for them because they can make sure their man wins and when he does they are completely shielded from the consequences of their actions.
Facebook will do adds for anyone (heck, isn’t Bloomberg the one who is doing most of the adds, which are anti-Trump), and I don’t think that they care too much who gets elected as long as it isn’t Warren.

Zuck is not a Republican, his donations have been close to 50-50, and just 18 months ago Republicans were losing their shit how Facebook is discriminatory against them and it is helping Dems (in the senate hearing, the critics were mostly Republicans lead by Cruz). The vast majority of Facebook employees are very liberal.

I agree though that the small punishments allow the big tech companies to do what they want and just pay the fines. The solution is probably increasing the fines. Breaking them is ludicrous in my opinion (though I admit that I am biased in this).

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Facebook will do adds for anyone (heck, isn’t Bloomberg the one who is doing most of the adds, which are anti-Trump), and I don’t think that they care too much who gets elected as long as it isn’t Warren.

Zuck is not a Republican, his donations have been close to 50-50, and just 18 months ago Republicans were losing their shit how Facebook is discriminatory against them and it is helping Dems (in the senate hearing, the critics were mostly Republicans lead by Cruz). The vast majority of Facebook employees are very liberal.

I agree though that the small punishments allow the big tech companies to do what they want and just pay the fines. The solution is probably increasing the fines. Breaking them is ludicrous in my opinion (though I admit that I am biased in this).
Trump recently had a private meeting with Zuck and they now have a team of consultants made up of prominent Republican members. They are definitely backing Republicans in this election and it’s going to be payment in kind. They will remain deregulated and that is far more valuable to them than ad payments of a few million.

Revan

Assumptionman
Trump recently had a private meeting with Zuck and they now have a team of consultants made up of prominent Republican members. They are definitely backing Republicans in this election and it’s going to be payment in kind. They will remain deregulated and that is far more valuable to them than ad payments of a few million.
Big companies meet everyone, donate to everyone and support everyone. Would be idiotic for them to not collaborate with Republicans.

I think they won’t care who wins unless it is Warren, with whom they will need to fight in the courts.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Facebook's future growth is with the right. One of their big growth markets is India, a very right-wing country, and where the ruling party has a well-funded and sophisticated online propaganda network on both facebook and facebook-owned whatsapp. In India, fb is used by young people in good numbers, and young Indians are more right-wing than their parents. In the west, their age profile is shifting upwards and there doesn't seem to be anything they can do to change that. As we know, the older generation in the west is far more conservative.

In line with that, we have seen facebook respond to public criticism relating to CA by appointing Bush officials to its fact-checking and integrity board, who have then cleared Breitbart as a legitimate news source alongside liberal favourites like NYT, etc. Zuck also has a big photo-op with Modi.

If they play up Zuckerburg's supposed liberal bona-fides, they are risking their own market and base. The only reason to do so is the very small possibiility that a Dem House, a Dem senate, and either Warren or Bernie as president might actually do something about it. But honestly that is not a likely event.

Dr. StrangeHate

Why are you biased?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Shutting it down is absurd, but a fine of just 40m is a joke too.

Big companies meet everyone, donate to everyone and support everyone. Would be idiotic for them to not collaborate with Republicans.

I think they won’t care who wins unless it is Warren, with whom they will need to fight in the courts.
Facebook's future growth is with the right. One of their big growth markets is India, a very right-wing country, and where the ruling party has a well-funded and sophisticated online propaganda network on both facebook and facebook-owned whatsapp. In India, fb is used by young people in good numbers, and young Indians are more right-wing than their parents. In the west, their age profile is shifting upwards and there doesn't seem to be anything they can do to change that. As we know, the older generation in the west is far more conservative.

In line with that, we have seen facebook respond to public criticism relating to CA by appointing Bush officials to its fact-checking and integrity board, who have then cleared Breitbart as a legitimate news source alongside liberal favourites like NYT, etc. Zuck also has a big photo-op with Modi.

If they play up Zuckerburg's supposed liberal bona-fides, they are risking their own market and base. The only reason to do so is the very small possibiility that a Dem House, a Dem senate, and either Warren or Bernie as president might actually do something about it. But honestly that is not a likely event.
Relevant to this discussion, although I really don’t like Kaiser framing herself as the innocent voice of reason in all this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ook-fake-news-brexit-vote-leave-a9304421.html

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Why do you consider it ludicrous?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I really dislike her and the way she’s trying to become the face of the the people. She just switched sides at the opportune moment.
Yep, she was brilliant as Dustin in stranger things and I’m not going to take that away from her but I cant look past the Cambridge Analytica stuff.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yep, she was brilliant as Dustin in stranger things and I’m not going to take that away from her but I cant look past the Cambridge Analytica stuff.
I’m afraid that reference is lost on me, sorry.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How will this even help, beyond a point it's just a flood of information.