Facebook, Amazon etc....

Balljy

I think it is more than that to be fair. Google and Alphabet are roughly the same, Alphabet just has a few small companies that don’t do much outside of Google.

While here, there will be more separation. Still unclear if Instagram, WhatsApp and Snapchat are gonna be outside of Facebook, but Oculus seems that it is gonna be. They are also putting the ebrite Facebook Research under Oculus. So Oculus might become their main focus and gradually becoming the core business of Meta.

In addition, they are opening 10K new positions in European Union which is pretty big news.
If Instagram, WhatsApp and Snapchat remain in Facebook then it will be similar to Google / Alphabet considering Fitbit, Google Fibre and Waymo are subsidiaries of the Alphabet brand.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Instagram, WhatsApp and Snapchat remain in Facebook then it will be similar to Google / Alphabet considering Fitbit, Google Fibre and Waymo are subsidiaries of the Alphabet brand.
Possibly. Unless Oculus becomes a big player, which seems to be the plan.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Not if I don't have kids.

Seriously though we're past peak facebook now. And we'll be past peak meta once teenage girls really start turning on instagram, which has already begun. (full disclosure I hate facebook).
Kids aren't on Facebook anymore, and sooner or later they won't be on Instagram either. Google might control the dystopian future, but Facebook won't.
I mean the concept rather than this specific iteration. On a less VR/flashy level Slack has already changed the conventional notion of "the workplace" during the pandemic and that's here to stay. This VR stuff is just a few iterations down the road.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I can't see VR being a thing for the workplace for a very long time. I just don't see the utility of it. People who are working for home aren't going to use VR.

The online world is only going to grow, though.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm sure Waymo are saying that's their plan too to be fair.

They've definitely got the best person to make Oculus work in Carmack, but as always he has been pretty outspoken about his employers decisions in the short term.

John Carmack Facebook Connect 2021 Keynote - YouTube
My feeling, based on some whispers I heard is that this is way bigger than what Waymo is for Alphabet. Alphabet’s top researchers are all in Brain or DeepMind. Facebook seems to plan to put their entire research department (strongest in the world after Google) under Oculus. Let’s see if this really happens or not.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I can't see VR being a thing for the workplace for a very long time. I just don't see the utility of it. People who are working for home aren't going to use VR.

The online world is only going to grow, though.
I guess it's hard to tell... Skype was launched around 2003... I think I used a clunky version around 2005... if you had told me 15 years after due to some global pandemic I would have to run a multinational business via Skype I'd have thought you were crazy but here we are and it's kinda (within limitations ) worked... I don't think it's crazy to think k the meta workplace could also be a thing in the next decade ... that said I'm not sure it will need fb to materialise and I'm not sure beyond initial development what there place will be ... occulus is impressive when I have used it but I don't think it's beyond close replication so long term I'm not sure what fb have to separate them... that said they have a fek ton of cash and fek all morals so have a good a chance as anybody as figuring out a niche

nimic

something nice
Scout
I guess it's hard to tell... Skype was launched around 2003... I think I used a clunky version around 2005... if you had told me 15 years after due to some global pandemic I would have to run a multinational business via Skype I'd have thought you were crazy but here we are and it's kinda (within limitations ) worked... I don't think it's crazy to think k the meta workplace could also be a thing in the next decade ... that said I'm not sure it will need fb to materialise and I'm not sure beyond initial development what there place will be ... occulus is impressive when I have used it but I don't think it's beyond close replication so long term I'm not sure what fb have to separate them... that said they have a fek ton of cash and fek all morals so have a good a chance as anybody as figuring out a niche
I'm not sure the Skype comparison works, because Skype (or Zoom, Teams, whatever) already does everything VR could do, except better. Something being virtual does not improve it, it very likely just detracts from it. Sure, if we get to the point where VR is delivered through a chip in your head, then everything is going to change. But as long as VR involves having some kind of fairly expensive device on your head, it's always going to be mostly a gimmick (or with a very few specific uses).

Edit: Full disclosure, I do own a VR headset. I've had quite a lot of fun playing Beat Saber on it, but I can't imagine ever using it for anything work related. Or anything non-gaming related, for that matter, even though they have tried pushing stuff like watching movies with it. And even the games are very niche, and specifically made for VR.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'm not sure the Skype comparison works, because Skype (or Zoom, Teams, whatever) already does everything VR could do, except better. Something being virtual does not improve it, it very likely just detracts from it. Sure, if we get to the point where VR is delivered through a chip in your head, then everything is going to change. But as long as VR involves having some kind of fairly expensive device on your head, it's always going to be mostly a gimmick (or with a very few specific uses).

Edit: Full disclosure, I do own a VR headset. I've had quite a lot of fun playing Beat Saber on it, but I can't imagine ever using it for anything work related. Or anything non-gaming related, for that matter, even though they have tried pushing stuff like watching movies with it. And even the games are very niche, and specifically made for VR.
How expensive / clunky will that headset be in a decade... because I'd its the same as now then yeah very limited... if its like wearing normal glasses the probably that's a game changer in its self

nimic

something nice
Scout
How expensive / clunky will that headset be in a decade... because I'd its the same as now then yeah very limited... if its like wearing normal glasses the probably that's a game changer in its self
It wouldn't be quite like normal glasses, because you need some hardware in there, but I guess it's possible with time. I just don't see what the benefit would be for the workplace. I guess we could get to the point where you use it instead of a monitor, but then that's not really VR. And we saw what happened with Google Glass, that wasn't exactly a smashing success :D

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It wouldn't be quite like normal glasses, because you need some hardware in there, but I guess it's possible with time. I just don't see what the benefit would be for the workplace. I guess we could get to the point where you use it instead of a monitor, but then that's not really VR.
I run a multi national company and having people working from home has for sure impacted comminucations... especially that have a 5 min chat with a colleague to see if something is a good idea or not

I can Imagine and environment where people can work from home bit can still get that connectivity with people being of great benefit

Not sure it will be via meta or somebody else but I can see it being more important as more flexible working takes off... particularly with intercontinental business and time zone differences some virtual environment could be really helpful

Not there yet but the idea has legs for sure

Conor

In addition, they are opening 10K new positions in European Union which is pretty big news.
Thousands of those will be in Ireland too, it's a pity they are such a truly shitty company.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Also, isn't whatever he is waffling on about just like ps home from years ago?
Yep, but at the level of the oasis if you've seen ready player one.

Like it or not, this will be the future. If not for us, for our kids/grandkids.
Correct. It's been happening for a few years but now it's being pushed more and more as the tech improves. There's a lack of imagination in here this would be in everyday use and for those saying it has no utility, or its easier to just zoom, etc... Have you actually tried it? To 3D sculpt? work out? Etc... It's better already but that will become apparent over time I can't be arsed to give examples right now.

I like mixed reality, I intend to pivot into this field as for me it's like the progression from web 1.0 to web 2.0 (so web 3.0). BUT... This is very transformational, we don't know what effect it's going to have on society and how we do things, what we find important going forward, how we work, hang out and communicate.

My advice for some of you that think it's nothing, is to pay attention. When sites like myspace & YouTube started no body could see that we'd end up with Instagram's, snapchat, and Only fans.... With a sizable part of the population 'living for the gram'. Think about how living for likes has shaped the younger generation and even the older? Relationships don't last as long as people are always comparing their own to the fake ones they see on line. Influence, YouTuber and cam performer are legit career choices... Depression off the charts? Fake news everywhere...

feck knows how this could end up, but certain scifi books and films are looking increasingly prescient right now.....

feck meta, but they aren't the only company doing this. Sony and Epic games are others. This is happening, so keep your eyes open and let's not sleep walk into something here.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I honestly don't get how they get away with it. Are there no employee protection laws covering extreme weather events?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Note: This isn't Facebook/Amazon etc - it's a candle company, but I didn't know where else to put it. (Maybe we should have a 'Capitalism' thread).

Factory workers threatened with firing if they left before tornado, employees say
At least eight people died in the Mayfield Consumer Products candle factory. Its destruction has become a symbol of the tornado's ruinous power.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...hreatened-firing-left-tornado-employ-rcna8581

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Keep in mind these are only allegations and reading some of the twitter replies, I can't help but think people do not understand much about marketing. One woman complaining about paying $1 per lead is laughably ignorant. Also, people should really understand how much it costs to do offline advertising and marketing and what the ROI is on things like Google or FB ads compared to old school methods like billboards, sending out direct mailers, paying for ads in the local newspapers, high school sports programs, etc. No doubt some small businesses, depending on their product/service, will not benefit the most from Google or FB ads but these replies are just so missing context and reality that I can't take that thread seriously. We'll have to see what actually turns up from these claims and if there is anything to them or not.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So Twitter has really increased the barriers lately to do some proper browsing without an account. To the extent that I might as well create an account just for browsing through tweets.

Anyone else who did the same?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard.

Big tech will dominate everything.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So Twitter has really increased the barriers lately to do some proper browsing without an account. To the extent that I might as well create an account just for browsing through tweets.

Ya, had a twitter account for a year and made like 5 posts.
Then a subreddit I wasted a ton of time in got banned, so now I waste a ton of time on twitter.

Tarrou

yeah I do this

I thought thats what all normal people do

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvndja/amazon-paid-for-a-high-school-course-heres-what-they-teach

In 2019, Cajon High School in San Bernardino, California, started offering the "Amazon Logistics and Business Management Pathway," a first-of-its-kind series of courses intended to help students get a head start in a career in logistics. Amazon donated $50,000 to provide the necessary materials to start the program. And, apparently, to do some redecorating. The classroom for the pathways program is painted in Amazon’s signature yellow, with Amazon’s Leadership Principles—“CUSTOMER OBSESSION”, “BIAS FOR ACTION,” “DELIVER RESULTS”— written on the walls.

The curriculum for the courses—obtained by Motherboard via public records request, which includes lesson plans on managing labor unions, “making ethical decisions,” and “motivating employees”—were written by “a team of educators” from Cajon High, Cal State University San Bernardino, and Chaffey College, a local community college, according to Corina Borsuk, a spokesperson for the San Bernardino Unified School District, with Amazon acting only as an “industry expert” and offering internships to students in the program.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Moving this out of the Joe Rogan thread since it's more a general debate on Google than on the Rogan podcast episode

For now I'll take him at face value, I found myself agreeing with pretty much everything he discussed on the podcast. Who am I to question an expert in his own field? He's studied his field of expertise for nearly half a century and to attach terms like "hyperbolic" is disingenuous I think.

He's unequivocally correct in his assertions that Google is a S&M device (surveillance and manipulation), that is absolutely evident for even the most IT challenged members of our society.

If society is essentially relying upon a single source for its online knowledge, that is very much a form of "brain washing". Again, Google have a ridiculous stranglehold over the internet, approx 96-98% control.

Google have and do literally cherry pick what links they deem to be relevant / truthful and best to return (Again, that is logically a form of brain washing). As Dr Epstein explained, the algorithm is input by a human, who of course have their own biases, so right from the inception of the algorithm is going to be flawed anyway.

His stories about the staff within Google as well are pretty damning, its another argument to have but still goes to show what their primary goal is... profit and power, little else matters.

Apologies balance was probably the wrong word to use. I guess when I was thinking of the term balance, both sides of the debate need to be heard. Humans are not always correct in their assertions and as we become more knowledgeable, the facts change.

Again this goes back to his point about the algorithm, does it really give the best "fact checked" results? Again were relying upon a single source (Google) and their flagging checks.

NY Times are generally trustworthy yes but are left leaning and have an edge of bias in that regard, same way other media outlets would be to the right.

It's kind of ironic you state not biased but then list a bunch of media outlets that clearly have their only political leanings be it left or right and that is essentially the point he made with regards the election being rigged with the "Go vote" cover page on set days.

Gladly take it on board if you could share some.

I'm not gonna go on much more about this but my own personal opinion of him is that he is very knowledgeable in his field and definitely has a valid point, his
That's your prerogative, just like some people take Joe Rogan's opinions on vaccines at face value or Jordan Peterson's on political science at face value.

It's important to recognize this guy is not any more an expert on Google search than Rogan is an expert on vaccines. He's had a massive agenda against Google for a long time:
"An article in the New York Times from early 2012 points to a tiff the psychologist had with the company after his website was hacked. Google directed visitors not to go to his page until the malicious code was removed—and kept the warning up even after Epstein tried, apparently unsuccessfully, to clean up his security and begged Google to remove the label. Epstein threatened to sue the company for not removing the warning, explaining to the Times that he felt like he was yelling at a brick wall. Later that year, he published a series of articles in the Huffington Post about why Google should be regulated. For the next few years, he began to publish more regularly about how easily Google could throw an election, largely citing himself. Starting in 2016, he become a regular on Breitbart discussing the Google topic. "

So, there are a lot of misconceptions in your post. Google does not "cherry-pick" anything. Google's algorithm isn't developed by "a human", it evolved over two decades with thousands of the best computer scientists in the world working to improve it over time, the same way Toyota practices kaizen on their manufacturing model for cars. The best machine learning adjusts it, the latest being MUM which will be integrated in the next year. And then the algorithm receives adjustment by tens of thousands of quality raters. This guy simply does not understand how Google works at all or he does understand but it doesn't fit his agenda so he acts in bad faith to further his personal vendetta. While anyone can say "it's not perfect", dozens of very rich companies have tried to produce better search engines and failed miserably, from Microsoft's Bing to right-wing attempts like DuckDuckGo. There is a reason Google is so dominant and it's simply because their results have been far more relevant at showing the information people look for than every other competitor over the last 20 years.

So no, it's not "relying on a single source" to determine that the NY Times is a more trustworthy source than Breitbart or The Daily Caller. The algorithm itself would even rank Breitbart higher if more searchers were visiting Breitbart. The fact is, the algorithm will rank NY Times higher simply because far more people in the world consider the NY Times a much more reliable and trustworthy source than Breitbart. That's because, quite simply, it is a more reliable and trustworthy source than a far-right opinion site. This demand from many conservatives corners that anyone not showing or giving equal time to "both sides of an opinion" is simply nonsense. Not showing equal results to climate change deniers or anti-vaxxers isn't reflective of "bias", its reflective of scientific consensus. For political news, it's not that NY Times is 100% objectively unbiased, its that they are a far more reliable source of information than Breitbart. If NY Times tilts 10% one way, Breitbart tilts 100% to the other. It's not an equal degree of bias, not even close.

And showing search results is not even remotely akin to "brain-washing". That's extreme hyperbole that simply doesn't apply and shows a complete lack of scientific understanding of "brainwashing." The word "brain-washing" itself is loaded and based on fiction to begin with but the closest thing you get in reality is something like Robert Jay Lifton's work, whose book Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism is generally considered the best on the subject. Nothing Google does come close to meeting these standards.

There is a reason this guy isn't publishing in peer-reviewed journals and professionals and professors that know what they're talking about consider him a quack. He only had one paper ever published in a peer-reviewed journal and it didn't prove what he claimed. He has never proven a connection between SERPs and behavior. He's asserted it but nothing in his "research" has come close to proving it as many professors and professionals have mentioned. He's made claims like “Google can take a 50/50 split among undecided voters and change it to a 90/10 split with no one knowing they have been manipulated" but nothing he has done has come close to proving that. If you agree with him then go ahead and link the research that you think proves his claims and I'll debunk it right here.

Remember this is a quack who has gone on Fox News to argue "in favor of teens getting married, pointing out that “Mary was 12 or 13 when she had Jesus, was she not?”

Here are just a few problems with this non-expert's methodology:

"The study — which was based on 95 participants in 24 US states — stated, in part, that when extrapolating from a 2015 study also authored by Epstein, at least 2.6 million votes might be "shifted" in favor of Clinton because of bias in Google's search results.
But the 2015 study's findings were based on asking US residents to cast hypothetical votes for candidates in Australia's 2010 prime ministerial election based on information they saw in Google search results.
Dr. Michael McDonald, an associate professor of political science at the University of Florida, expressed skepticism to Business Insider that Epstein's 2015 findings regarding Google's search rankings influencing American decisions about elections in Australia — a topic most American study participants would have little information about beforehand — could be applied directly to the US presidential elections.
"I'm not sure if this really applies to US elections where we have partisan politics going on and lots of other information that people have," McDonald said. "You don't need to look at the top of Google search results for your information about how you're going to cast your vote for president."

Justin Levitt, an associate dean for research and professor at Loyola Law School who focuses on constitutional law and the law of democracy, told Business Insider there were multiple points of contention with Epstein's 2017 findings, which have become the basis for the president's tweet on Monday. For one, Epstein wrote in his report that after the study was completed, results from participants using Google's email service, Gmail, were discarded, thus changing the number of eligible participants to a lower, undisclosed number.
Epstein said Gmail users were removed because some of their search queries appeared "automated" and, overall, those using Google's email service saw results that were far less biased than non-Gmail users.
"That's a weird methodological choice to take some of your results and throw them out after you've done the experiment because they seem to not fit your designed story," Levitt said. "That's something that sets off a bunch of red flags."

"his huge claim is based on monitoring the search results of just 21 undecided voters out of 95 voters for a 2017 white paper. In his submitted testimony, Epstein did provide seven pages of citations—but all of them are papers or op-eds he wrote or co-wrote himself. Only one of them—a 2015 paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, about how biased results produced by search engines could have the ability to sway undecided voters—was peer-reviewed. Even that study didn’t demonstrate that this has actually happened."
(tons of red flags here from basing his claims on swaying 2.6 million votes from just monitoring 21 allegedly undecided voters to the fact all his citations are to his own non peer-reviewed work).

And then some I already linked but I'll just repeat for completeness since you never recognized their points:

"Another issue, other academics say, is that Epstein’s study did not establish a link between alleged bias in search results and voter behavior in 2016.
Epstein said he came to the conclusion of bias sufficient to affect 2.6 million to 10.4 million votes based on what he has found in studies of national elections outside the US, including the 2010 Australian prime minister election and a 2014 Indian legislative election.
In other words: Epstein did not test 2016 American voters to see if their Clinton-or-Trump choice had been changed by search results they got. He extrapolated from his previous studies."

“When Dr. Epstein says the effects are ‘huge’ and ‘more powerful’ than anything he has ever seen, I respectfully suggest that he needs to read the political science literature before making that claim,” Katherine Haenschen, a communications professor at Virginia Tech University who studies internet targeting on voter turnout, told Mother Jones this week. “Large-scale digital mobilization has basically failed to deliver sizable effects in terms of persuasion or turnout.” Never mind the fact that in Epstein’s study, it’s not clear what search terms were used by his participants, or what the “biased” search results were. In his research, Epstein graded search engines for bias, determining that mainstream news outlets like the New York Times dominated over conservative sources like Breitbart in Google’s results. Epstein doesn’t explain the context in which the searches were conducted—which is important to know, since the whole point of Google Search is that it personalizes results based on prior searches and the user’s location. Someone with a recent search history about guns in Tennessee will likely see different search results than someone with a recent search history about women’s health care in New York City. And a good study would take care to somehow sanitize or disclose each participant’s search environment before reaching any conclusions."

That's just from a few responses. Basically, this guy has an axe to grind and that works for Breitbart and the right-wing media so even though no professors or professionals take this quack's papers seriously (except Trump of course), he gets a lot of airtime on heavily biased sites.

https://www.businessinsider.com/red-flags-in-trump-google-bias-millions-votes-report-2019-8
https://slate.com/technology/2019/08/robert-epstein-google-bias-conservative-bogus-trump.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/politics/trump-google-manipulated-votes-claim/index.html

Last edited: