Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Denis Law once scored six goals for City in an FA Cup tie and ended up on the losing side.
Not quite true. He scored six in the first game which was abandoned, then we lost the replay.

Certain mediocre teams (in terms of league performance) win or come near to winning the Champions League, United seem to have to be dominant EPL Champions before we come near.

I wasn’t actually thinking of Liverpool last year, with their 97 points. But mediocre Liverpool, Chelsea, AC Milan, and Real Madrid sides have won and/or come near to winning the Champions league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
James Milner has been a premier league footballer for 6154 days. He was born precisely 6154 days before that. He's been a top flight footballer for exactly half of his life.
This one is pretty cool. Milner is also a type of Dutch cheese.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Sadio Mane has never lost a Premier League game at Anfield since signing for Liverpool in 2016.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sure there were at least 2 golden goals scored at the 2002 world cup.
You are right. I had a brain fart. Blanc was the first one and the only one in '98 WC. There were 3 more in 2002 WC. Somehow I had it in my head that the golden goal rule ended with '98 world cup.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Mario Balotelli has registered only one assist in his PL career. Yep, it's for that goal you think it is.

The Brazilian Ronaldo has never won the CL.

The highest attendance for a United home game is 82.360 in 1948 against Arsenal at Maine Road (OT was under repairs).

The highest ever attendance for a game at OT is 76.962. The game was between Wolves and Grimsby Town.

Dundee United has an impeccable record against Barcelona in Europe (played four, won four).

Jermaine Pennant is the only English footballer who has played a CL final while not having been in the NT even once.

Flamini has never lost a match at the Emirates.

Henrik Larsson's first and last goal at Celtic Park were both against Celtic. The first was an own goal and the last was when he was playing vs Celtic with Barcelona.

Roberto Soldado is the only Spaniard who has scored two hat-tricks in the CL in its current form (1992-).

John Terry has more league goals than Iniesta.

In 1980's version of the Copa del Rey, Real Madrid beat their reserve team in the final. The final took place at the Bernabeu (of course).

St. Johnstone is the only British club with a J in its name.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

And then they proceeded to wallop Barcelona 4-0 in the CL final.
They saved the goals for the final.

And had a +21 goal difference. Scoring against that side was probably like winning a trophy.
I think that side is the one you think of when you think miserly Italian defences.

Phil Jones has played for Manchester Untied for 8 seasons and has somehow survived 16 transfer windows.
Yet he cant survive 5 matches without tearing a new muscle doctors arent aware of yet.

Red Stone

Sergio Ramos has scored more club goals and international goals than Andres Iniesta.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
You can tell me I have no life, you can tell me I need to get out more, but I've been thinking all day long about that Kluivert / Ruud stat and I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight. Maybe not even tomorrow night.

And they're 7 years younger than Bergkamp. What on earth is going on here??

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Only 3 British players scored in multiple European Cup/Champions League finals. One is Gareth Bale; the other two are Tommy Gemmell and Phil Neal, both were defenders.

stevoc

Yet he cant survive 5 matches without tearing a new muscle doctors arent aware of yet.
I fully expect by the time he has left United in 15 years time. He will have strained a eyebrow muscle and torn a cheek ligament with all his gurning.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Is he on the run in Brazil?
He plays in turkey. he appealed so the the 9 years are suspended for now, but I don't think he will put a step in Italy anytime soon just in case

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Mario Balotelli has registered only one assist in his PL career. Yep, it's for that goal you think it is.

The highest attendance for a United home game is 82.360 in 1948 against Arsenal at Maine Road (OT was under repairs).

The highest ever attendance for a game at OT is 76.962. The game was between Wolves and Grimsby Town.

Dundee United has an impeccable record against Barcelona in Europe (played four, won four).

Jermaine Pennant is the only English footballer who has played a CL final while not having been in the NT even once.

Henrik Larsson's first and last goal at Celtic Park were both against Celtic. The first was an own goal and the last was when he was playing vs Celtic with Barcelona.

Roberto Soldado is the only Spaniard who has scored a hat-trick in the CL in its current form (1992-).

In 1980's version of the Copa del Rey, Real Madrid beat their reserve team in the final. The final took place at the Bernabeu (of course).

Some great stats in there, especially the Soldado one, but I'm not sure this one is true. Balotelli only got one assist that season, but I'm pretty certain he got at least one other assist for us in the league. Can only find stats on Transfermarkt at the moment and they say he got three.

Josh 76

Alex Ferguson first 4 years at Utd were more successful than Klopps first 4 years at Liverpool.

The so called greatest ever team (Liverpool 1980s) actually finished 5th in the 1980-81 season.

Since 1984, only 3 teams have ever retained the title. Utd, Chelsea and City.

Micheal Owen scored in a cup final for Man.utd.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Valencia won 2 La Ligas in the 2000-2010 decade. I always forget that.

Cloud7

There was once a very funny twitter parody account for Big Sam. Since then hundreds of very unfunny people have tried to make funny parody accounts but they’re all piss poor.
Evil Kagawa was quite funny during Moyes' time here.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Some great stats in there, especially the Soldado one, but I'm not sure this one is true. Balotelli only got one assist that season, but I'm pretty certain he got at least one other assist for us in the league. Can only find stats on Transfermarkt at the moment and they say he got three.
Premierleague.com have him on 1. It depends how they are counted. The Sunderland goal according to texts D. Silva followed up on a shot blocked by Balotelli to score. The Fulham one doesn't even have Balotelli mentioned. It says a deflected Clichy cross ended with Dzeko who scored. So 1 assist is probably correct.

varga92

Juan Mata has won the FIFA World Cup, UEFA European Championship, Champions League, Europa League, but he's never won a domestic league title.

mav_9me

Sadio Mane has never lost a Premier League game at Anfield since signing for Liverpool in 2016.
That to me is crazy. You guys have been great but mostly just for last season and now. There are 2 years with him there where you were only decent. Amazing stat.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
PL site has all season assists. I think Balotelli has only 1 assist in that.

Edit: yeah it's just 1 assist in PL site.
70 games, 21 goals and 1 assist.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Mario Balotelli has more goals for Italy than Francesco Totti

Roberto Soldado is the only Spaniard who has scored a hat-trick in the CL in its current form (1992-).

What the actual feck :eek: Maybe it's because I'm not British, but that seems insane to me.

That whole list is fantastic

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mario Balotelli has more goals for Italy than Francesco Totti
Looks like some of the stats on Balotelli are funny.

He has 21 league goals and 20 cards (17 yellow + 3 reds) in 70 games.

Robertd0803

I fully expect by the time he has left United in 15 years time. He will have strained a eyebrow muscle and torn a cheek ligament with all his gurning.

I bet when (if) he ever leaves United he wont miss a game from injury for at least 3 seasons.