Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

stevoc

Roy Keanes first and last games in English football were both at Anfield.

Solskjaer scored his first goal for Man Utd coming on as a sub vs Blackburn at Old Trafford and he scored his last goal for Man Utd coming on as a sub vs Blackburn at Old Trafford.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Herfolge in Denmark won the league with John Faxe as headcoach in 2000 and got relegated the following season.
1.FC Nürnberg (record champions up until 1987) managed the same feat in the Bundesliga.
Right now they hold the record for relegations (9 times).

mjstokes85

Manchester United have NEVER lost a Premier League home game when winning at half time, that is insane. In fact I think this record stretches well beyond just the Premier League as far back to the early/mid 1980s.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sadio Mane has never lost a Premier League game at Anfield since signing for Liverpool in 2016.
I think that comes to 50 games. The record is Drogba at Stamford Bridge on 80!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That to me is crazy. You guys have been great but mostly just for last season and now. There are 2 years with him there where you were only decent. Amazing stat.
He's slightly fortunate that he wasn't fit to play in our last home defeat against Palace tbf.

Nick7

This one is the craziest to me. 19 wins, 12 draws, and 3 losses. Conceded 15 goals. Mental.
They lost 2 and drew 4 of their last 6 games. Madness. Just reading about it, that season prompted the Italian FA to change from 2 points for a win to 3.

Needham

Brechin is the only club in British football whose name describes a crime in the accent of its home country.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Roy Keanes first and last games in English football were both at Anfield.

Solskjaer scored his first goal for Man Utd coming on as a sub vs Blackburn at Old Trafford and he scored his last goal for Man Utd coming on as a sub vs Blackburn at Old Trafford.
Cool, especially the second one!

A few more:

The longest name for a football club is the following: Nooit opgeven altijd doorzetten, Aangenaam door vermaak en nuttig door ontspanning, Combinatie Breda". It's the Dutch club NAC Breda and in case you're wondering if within the name are the instructions on how to get to Breda, the name can loosely be translated into: Never give up, always persevere, be pleasant, entertaining and useful. Which i think is awesome.

Norwich finished 3rd in the PL with a negative GD (61-65), the highest PL finish for a team with a negative GD. They were leading the table for much of the season too before their collapse towards the end of 1993. Huddersfield are the only team that has won promotion to the PL with a negative GD (56-58 in the league, three draws in the play-offs)

6 teams have won their respective championships with a negative GD: Coritiba (Brazil, 1985), Al-Nahyan (Qatar, 1984), POSCO Atoms (South Korea, 1986), Walter Ferreti (Nicaragua, 2001), Plaza Amador (Panama, 2005), Taipower (Taiwan, 2007).

AIK Stockholm won the Swedish League in 1998 with the worst attack among all teams on the league table.

In 1985, Trabzonspor won the Turkish league by scoring a grand total of 25 goals in 30 matches.

The longest period in which no European team has won the title in its country more than once is 11 years in the Netherlands from 42/43 to 53/54.

Denmark shocked the world in 1992 by winning the Euro. They were an excellent team with some top-class players. Still, they shouldn't have been there in the first place since they had initially failed to qualify.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
- When Greece won the EC in '04, it came with a number of funny facts. Greece hadn't been qualified for an EC round since 1980 and had not won a single EC match before that tournament. Only in one match during the tournament they scored more than 1 goal (2:1 vs. Portugal).

- Gerd Müller of Bayern Munich managed to score more than once in one match on 87 occasions. He achieved 32 hattricks, scored 4 goals in 10 (!) BL matches and 5 times 5 goals.

- Ivica Olics Hattrick in the 2010 HF vs. Lyon was a "perfect" hattrick: One goal with each foot and one header.

- Claudio Pizarro scored at least 1 league goal in 21 consecutive years

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Jonathan Woodgate socred 3 goals with Real Madrid. 2 of them own goals. So he scored more goals against his own team than in favour

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
- When Greece won the EC in '04, it came with a number of funny facts. Greece hadn't been qualified for an EC round since 1980 and had not won a single EC match before that tournament. Only in one match during the tournament they scored more than 1 goal (2:1 vs. Portugal).

- Gerd Müller of Bayern Munich managed to score more than once in one match on 87 occasions. He achieved 32 hattricks, scored 4 goals in 10 (!) BL matches and 5 times 5 goals.

- Ivica Olics Hattrick in the 2010 HF vs. Lyon was a "perfect" hattrick: One goal with each foot and one header.

- Claudio Pizarro scored at least 1 league goal in 21 consecutive years
Many players did that in their career. and CR did it 8 times

Bokito

Clubs from the 5 largest cities in Europe have won 1 CL/ Europa Cup 1, 3 cup winners’ cups, and 4 uefa cups. In all of history.

ninjaskill

Swindon town are the only efl or pl side to not have any of the letters of the word mackerel in their name.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
AS Monaco has made just about $1 billion in player sales since 2010.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I am a 30 year old real madrid fan who remembers football since 1994. I have seen and celebrated my club winning more major trophies than anyone who isn't an older real madrid fan

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Manchester United have NEVER lost a Premier League home game when winning at half time, that is insane. In fact I think this record stretches well beyond just the Premier League as far back to the early/mid 1980s.
We never say this stuff on here for obvious reasons.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Champions have to qualify (4) for the ‘champions League’ while teams that arn’t good enough to win they’re own league get in Scot free?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Champions have to qualify (4) for the ‘champions League’ while teams that arn’t good enough to win they’re own league get in Scot free?
The coefficient system actually makes sense. The quality of the CL would be greatly reduced if all the teams that win their leagues were granted automatic qualification.

Pughnichi

moyes mustn’t have known about this one...otherwise I’m sure he’d have given it a good go

Red Stone

Roberto Soldado is the only Spaniard who has scored a hat-trick in the CL in its current form (1992-).
He's the only one who has scored two hat-tricks. Raul, Lucas Perez, Negredo, Morientes, Gerard Lopez and Joseba Llorente have one hat-trick each.

Here's a crazy one: Cristiano Ronaldo has scored four hat-tricks in the knockout stages of the Champions League since he last scored a hat-trick in the group stages (Malmö, 2015). Lionel Messi has scored five hat-tricks in the group stages since the last time he scored a hat-trick in the knockout stages (Leverkusen, 2012).