Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

Based Adnan

Until this season Martial had only missed 13 games due to injury

Lingard has 19 assists for the Manchester United first team - Less than he managed for the u21s

Caesar2290

Aubameyang has scored 17 goals in the last 17 appearances while Manchester United have managed only 15 in 17.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
In the 1929/30 season under the great Harry Curtis, Brentford won all of their 21 home games in the top division - a record never equalled or bettered :)

Siorac

There are 15 cities called Manchester in the USA but only one called Madrid. So a "Manchester United" have a statistically higher chance of winning the US football league than a Real Madrid.
That assumes that the team not being based in Madrid would stop the Americans from calling it Real Madrid.

Siorac

Port Vale is the only team in England top four divisions that isn’t named after a place/area.
The wikipedia entry about this is so confusing though.

Port Vale is one of the few English league clubs not to be named after a geographical location, their name being a reference to the valley of ports on the Trent and Mersey Canal.
So... isn't the valley of ports on the Trent and Mersey Canal a geographical location?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
There are 15 cities called Manchester in the USA but only one called Madrid. So a "Manchester United" have a statistically higher chance of winning the US football league than a Real Madrid.
See, we can't even win the shitty MLS when we have such an advantage :(

GGT

A long time supporter of Manchester has for the last 20 years had a tenner on Utd to win the premier each season, over the years he is up the grand total of £30.

A long time supporter of Leicester has every year had a tenner on Leicester to win the premier/championship, over the years he is up the grand total of £49,950

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertd0803

In the 1929/30 season under the great Harry Curtis, Brentford won all of their 21 home games in the top division - a record never equalled or bettered :)
Think we were a daft result at home to fecking West Brom to matching this in 10/11.

fergiesarmy1

A long time supporter of Manchester has for the last 20 years had a tenner on Utd to win the premier each season, over the years he is up the grand total of £30.

A long time supporter of Leicester has every year had a tenner on Leicester to win the premier/championship, over the years he is up the grand total of £49,950
:lol:

I had a mate who cleaned up on the treble at silly odds though.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
Javier Zanetti received his first red card ever in Serie A having played 548 matches. He used to play wingback or a defensive midfield role and were known to play alot and very rarely being injured.

Caesar2290

Only 2 keepers have seen their team score 9 and keep a clean sheet in the PL history. Scmeichel 9-0 vs Ipswich(1995) and Schmeichel 9-0 vs Soton(2019).

Like father, like son.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Javier Zanetti received his first red card ever in Serie A having played 548 matches. He used to play wingback or a defensive midfield role and were known to play alot and very rarely being injured.
Strange that I always thought Zanetti played mostly as a right midfielder (like Beckham) or as a right winger. Only in the latter part of his carrier he played as a full back and sometimes a DM.

Chekov

Supports
Internazionale
Strange that I always thought Zanetti played mostly as a right midfielder (like Beckham) or as a right winger. Only in the latter part of his carrier he played as a full back and sometimes a DM.
He has such a long career but I think you are right that he often played midfield on the right during the first half of his years at Inter. But he always took great responsibility in defense. Why I mentioned that is because it adds to the impressive fact that he never got a red card in 548 matches but still very involved in duels and in defense.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There is a bigger gap in time between today and Arsenal’s invincibles (15 years), than between the invincibles and Liverpool’s last title (14 years).

This doesn’t seem right to me, as it feels like Arsenal’s last title wasn’t that long ago while Liverpool’s last title was from another planet altogether.

pacifictheme

Only 2 keepers have seen their team score 9 and keep a clean sheet in the PL history. Scmeichel 9-0 vs Ipswich(1995) and Schmeichel 9-0 vs Soton(2019).

Like father, like son.
Peter Schmeichel has a different surname from his own son.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Kaiserlautern once get a promotion to the bundesliga and won the title the next season
King Otto Rehakles. One of the best managers of all time.

Michael Ballacks teams have competed in every big international finals. They have lost them all.

chomsky89

A footballer with more than 350 international games shouldn't exist. But Kristine Lilly somehow managed that.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Funny thing is I don't recall there's too much furore over this achievement, it's like just any other year in bundesliga :(

Olaf Marchall was topscorer ja? as defender?
I consider Rehagel a miracle coach. Not only he brought Kaiserslautern from 2nd Bundesliga to first just to win it, but then he went ahead and made another mircale happen: winning EUROs with fecking Greece. A coach with Real Madrid, Barca etc. could win 10 CLs in a row, it would be not as huge as this two accomplishments with 2 different (massive) underdogs in my eyes.

Olaf Marshall was a striker if i remember correctly though.