6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSpud

As others have said how this kid cannot get on before Elanga is beyond me. From the couple of games we saw him last season he looked to be a tidy little player.

MadMike

He did dazzle on loan. Reason he is with the world cup squad. Agents this days are using manutd club to get huge profiles
Did he feck. He made 21 appearances as a winger and had 0 goals or assists and spent the entire 2nd half of the season on the bench.

From the beginning of Jan '22 onwards he made only 4 sub appearances for Alaves totalling ~75 mins of football.

Must different reasons the national coach picked him. Maybe he likes him, like Southgate likes and picks Maguire despite the guy never playing. But whatever the reason, it just isn't because of his "dazzling" performances for Alaves.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Did he feck. He made 21 appearances as a winger and had 0 goals or assists and spent the entire 2nd half of the season on the bench.

From the beginning of Jan '22 onwards he made only 4 sub appearances for Alaves totalling ~75 mins of football.

Must different reasons the national coach picked him. Maybe he likes him, like Southgate likes and picks Maguire despite the guy never playing. But whatever the reason, it just isn't because of his "dazzling" performances for Alaves.
The coach has said previously it's to do with the balance of his side. Think he has a bit of bite, pace and workrate that the other options lack of something.

Abraxas

I've quite liked the look of Pellistri when I've seen him. He's certainly pleasing to watch in his dribbling style and low centre of gravity.

The problem is his numbers are appalling. You're going to struggle to make a compelling case as a forward at United.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Reminds me of a young Steve Coppell, hard working right winger, with the ability to beat the full back and get good crosses in.
I've wondered why he got selected for Uruguay when he was getting very little game time with Alaves, but the coach must have been aware of his capabilities, and got him with the squad to assess him, and it seems that Uruguay were possibly lacking a right sided player with his abilities, so he fitted in.
From what I've seen of him with Uruguay, he creates openings with his direct running, and I was thinking that is was United need, especially against low block teams, probably better than Elanga with his creativeness, but Elanga possibly covers the full back better? Not sure, but hopefully Pellestri has a cracking world cup, and then we can get him with the right club in the new year, and he develops in the right way. It's possible that we could have three very good right sided players for a position we have struggled with for several years.

Based Adnan

Think he's been underutilized by us. Backing him to have a good WC and probably bag a move off the back of it.

philnguyen1994

He was quite dazzling for Uruguay in their WC Qualifiers to be fair and deserves his place in the WC squad:

Reactions: 711

dinostar77

He will be a top player, given time. Reminds me alittle of a young brian laudrup in his running and movement.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.

Similar argument for €130m Joao Felix and Athletico. Similar arguments against Amad at Rangers. But in the right teams which compliment their playing styles, they are excellent players. Alavez were crap back then and changed their manager and playing style last season.

Put Pellistri here and with an old fashion cf, then he could do good for us

MadMike

Similar argument for €130m Joao Felix and Athletico. Similar arguments against Amad at Rangers. But in the right teams which compliment their playing styles, they are excellent players. Alavez were crap back then and changed their manager and playing style last season.

Put Pellistri here and with an old fashion cf, then he could do good for us
Amad might be a similar argument, but Joao Felix is not. I hopefully don’t have to explain why.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Amad might be a similar argument, but Joao Felix is not. I hopefully don’t have to explain why.
In a nutshell, horses to courses. Is Felix justifying his fee?. Nope. Why?. Because he's in an awkward defensive team. Now apply the same idea to Pellistri and you get my point. Joao was an example of the thought that I had. Simples.

Ollie Derbyshire

From the little I’ve seen of him, I’m convinced he would offer us more than Elanga does. I’m surprised he’s not been given more chances. Looks more comfortable on the right than most of our forwards.
I’d agree with this, Elanga is very limited.

pascell

He did dazzle on loan. Reason he is with the world cup squad. Agents this days are using manutd club to get huge profiles
He barely played, he played a total of 90 minutes last December up until the end of last season, "dazzled".

The reason why he's with the squad is because the NT manager took a chance on him in a few friendlies and he impressed.

OmarUnited4ever

It was unfortunate that he got injured in Aug this year which blocked a possible loan move, he might've gotten a good loan same as Amad.

I hope he impresses in the WC, which might attract some interest in him.

MadMike

In a nutshell, horses to courses. Is Felix justifying his fee?. Nope. Why?. Because he's in an awkward defensive team. Now apply the same idea to Pellistri and you get my point. Joao was an example of the thought that I had. Simples.
What do fees have to do with it though? It’s quite a bizarre thing to bring up on the topic of national selection. Why would a national coach be concerned with the fees that the players he’s calling up have cost, or whether they’ve justifying those fees? He doesn’t give two hoots about that.

Felix is playing fairly consistently for Atleti in La Liga and UCL. Therefore the national coach can assess his fitness, form and level. On the other hand, it’s almost December and Pellistri has under 150mins of competitive football played this whole year. Calling up a player who you haven’t assessed in a year, is rather strange. So the cases, from a national coach perspective, are nothing alike.

Surely there are a couple of half decent RWs in Uruguay that play week in and week out.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
it’s almost December and Pellistri has under 150mins of competitive football played this whole year. Calling up a player who you haven’t assessed in a year, is rather strange.
The NT manager is the same guy who gave Pellistri his professional debut. He gave him his first cap after a year of no football, with qualification on the line, and having been handed a 4-game caretaler stint himself, with an option to include World Cup if we made it. Why would he not call him up now after he delivered for him?

antohan

Anyhow, reason I popped in here is the rumour doing the rounds is Darwin on the bench and Pellistri starts out wide.

TwoSheds

Anyhow, reason I popped in here is the rumour doing the rounds is Darwin on the bench and Pellistri starts out wide.
Surely not? Suarez and Cavani are too old to play together if Darwin is fit surely?

antohan

Surely not? Suarez and Cavani are too old to play together if Darwin is fit surely?
Who said they both start? Young energetic midfield behind a wily old fox that can actually trap a ball and hold up play.

I'm more worried about Godín starting than Suárez.

TwoSheds

Who said they both start? Young energetic midfield behind a wily old fox that can actually trap a ball and hold up play.

I'm more worried about Godín starting than Suárez.
How does the midfield normally line up then? Valverde, Torreira and Bentancur in the middle? Who plays on the left normally?

antohan

How does the midfield normally line up then? Valverde, Torreira and Bentancur in the middle? Who plays on the left normally?
Torreira doesn't play.

Last few qualifiers we were playing 4-4-2 with de Arrascaeta nominally left (flank with attacking fullback), Bentancur and Valverde middle and Pellistri right (flank with Araújo as fullback).

Araújo and de Arrascaeta are out though so we will probably line up 4-5-1/4-3-3 with de la Cruz left and Vecino holding the midfield.

Abraxas

You're not making a lot of sense with this comparison.

On the one hand, yes players suit certain teams and styles. Felix hasn't justified his fee. These are two very general points. But so is the idea most youth players don't make it at Manchester United. In fact, most of our youth players don't even make it at the top clubs generally. General points around players are not so useful as the actual nuance around their situation.

Felix is a bad reference point for Pellistri. Felix has delivered to a certain point. Not to the level expected, but he's a player that would be in demand across Europe if available as he's played for Atletico and Benfica and produced something. Pellistri is a young lad that hasn't had one break out season of football in Europe. Yet. Two completely different profiles, not to mention Pellistri's football upbringing is in South America and we don't know how his adaptation will be because he's hardly played on loan.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thread will be interesting;

a) He plays well - EtH is an idiot for not playing him etc

b) He plays poorly - The club were stupid signing him, disastrous, sell him

Win win

bdecuc

This will be interesting alright. It's been a peculiar situation with him. Be good to see how he looks in a game at this level.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
For a guy that never plays at club level it’s interesting to see him starting for his country. Hope he has a good game. Don’t see him ironing out a career here and still a bit baffled by the signing but wish him well.

prateik

Was just thinking that.. how is he starting in the WC and cant get a minute here?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Showing great pace and work ethic

Not so good decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.