6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarUnited4ever

Gavi is 18, Pedri is 20. They are undisputed starting midfielders for Barca. Nobody calls them kids. Pellistri is 21 and we all act as if he is a toddler. He was a starter for Uruguay at World Cup and nobody called him a kid.

What is wrong with us that we think 21yo player is still a kid that needs to be put in diapers? And please don't give me "Premier League is a more physical league". feck that. at 21 his body is grown up and either he can deal with the more physical league or he can't but he is not a fecking kid anymore and needs to be used at least occasionally and at least with bottom half teams or in cup games!

We simply dont have deep enough squad to not be using Pellistri and if we dont use him then he is just not good enough, but let's stop pretending he is a kid for feck's sake. He is 21! Antony is 22 and he was Pellistri's age when he was playing as senior player for Ajax!

Sell Elanga and make Pellistri our squad player now!
He probably was not given game time because Ten Hag thinks he is either not good enough or not ready to play, nothing to do with his age, Garnacho is 18 and he is staring games and being subbed in huge games to impact and help the team, Ten Hag does not see that with Pellistri, it is simple as that, nothing to do with age or being 21 and not physical and whatnot, if you are good enough you are old enough.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He probably was not given game time because Ten Hag thinks he is either not good enough or not ready to play, nothing to do with his age, Garnacho is 18 and he is staring games and being subbed in huge games to impact and help the team, Ten Hag does not see that with Pellistri, it is simple as that, nothing to do with age or being 21 and not physical and whatnot, if you are good enough you are old enough.
100%. EtH doesn't think he is ready but it is not because of the age. He is not sold or loaned, however so I hope they haven't given up on him.

surf

As a wide forward he'll have a lot of competition if he is to make a career at the club. Sancho, Antony, Garnacho, Amad are all around his age or younger. And it's looking like ETH sees Rashford as a wide player too.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Frustrating that he didn't get minutes today. With Antony stinking the place up, ETH would rather play an exhausted and underperforming Bruno in a position he's continuously not played well in, instead of Pellistri. I guess it makes some sense why his agent is annoyed.

PoTMS

Let him leave. The boy is a big talent and United seem to be fecking him about and mismanaging his career.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Frustrating that he didn't get minutes today. With Antony stinking the place up, ETH would rather play an exhausted and underperforming Bruno in a position he's continuously not played well in, instead of Pellistri. I guess it makes some sense why his agent is annoyed.
Agree with this. Pellistri is a full Uruguay international. He has played in a World Cup. If he's not good enough to play in these circumstances when will he be?

Lyng

He should have been subbed on for Antony instead of moving Bruno to the right.

Artorias

Let him leave. United seem to be fecking him about.
I don't know why ETH doesn't use him or make changes. It's obvious that the players are tired and/or not in his natural positions.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Gavi is 18, Pedri is 20. They are undisputed starting midfielders for Barca. Nobody calls them kids. Pellistri is 21 and we all act as if he is a toddler. He was a starter for Uruguay at World Cup and nobody called him a kid.

What is wrong with us that we think 21yo player is still a kid that needs to be put in diapers? And please don't give me "Premier League is a more physical league". feck that. at 21 his body is grown up and either he can deal with the more physical league or he can't but he is not a fecking kid anymore and needs to be used at least occasionally and at least with bottom half teams or in cup games!

We simply dont have deep enough squad to not be using Pellistri and if we dont use him then he is just not good enough, but let's stop pretending he is a kid for feck's sake. He is 21! Antony is 22 and he was Pellistri's age when he was playing as senior player for Ajax!

Sell Elanga and make Pellistri our squad player now!
I'm gonna sound toxic here but this is seriously the sort of post I expect to see on reddit or facebook not here.

In world football a 21 year old should now not be called a kid? Every player develops differently. Not everyone is Gavi. Some are Bojan. Some are Berbatov. It's a different path for everyone and until 24 a player is definitely young

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I'm gonna sound toxic here but this is seriously the sort of post I expect to see on reddit or facebook not here.

In world football a 21 year old should now not be called a kid? Every player develops differently. Not everyone is Gavi. Some are Bojan. Some are Berbatov. It's a different path for everyone and until 24 a player is definitely young
Nobody is arguing that there are late bloomers and exceptions. For feck's sake, Jesse Lingard was still called "young player" at 27 :) We do remember that :D

However, we are debating what is norm. And on average playing senior football at 21 is more of a norm than an exception. There are ton of senior footballers in top leagues that are 21, including in EPL. It is NOT abnormal or an exception to be playing senior football at 21. That is the point.

So yeah, may be Pellistri is not fully developed yet. It is a distant possibility, but there is no direct evidence of that being the problem. And by default assuming that his age is the factor doesn't make sense. He is not so young for that to be a top guess. That's all we are saying.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wasn't it Flamengo who shafted us older Pereira? Playing him constantly then suddenly only wanting to pay half the agreed upon price?

Bwuk

After the Arsenal game, we’ve got both legs of semis of the league cup again with Reading in the FA Cup.

If he can’t get game time there he’d be as well to move on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
After the Arsenal game, we’ve got both legs of semis of the league cup again with Reading in the FA Cup.

If he can’t get game time there he’d be as well to move on.
Agree. After Antony we have no RW in the squad. If he can't get ahead of Bruno or Elanga in that position then there's no point.

Rake

With the news that Sancho is back in training, can't see him getting playing time over the next two fixtures after Arsenal. We will probably start Garnacho/Sancho in one of them and use them as subs in the other one.

Varun1

Nobody is arguing that there are late bloomers and exceptions. For feck's sake, Jesse Lingard was still called "young player" at 27 :) We do remember that :D

However, we are debating what is norm. And on average playing senior football at 21 is more of a norm than an exception. There are ton of senior footballers in top leagues that are 21, including in EPL. It is NOT abnormal or an exception to be playing senior football at 21. That is the point.

So yeah, may be Pellistri is not fully developed yet. It is a distant possibility, but there is no direct evidence of that being the problem. And by default assuming that his age is the factor doesn't make sense. He is not so young for that to be a top guess. That's all we are saying.
Am firmly on the side that young players need game time sooner rather than later, not reserve football but proper games.

I understand why it is difficult to do that at bigger teams, but also difficult to understand why 'senior' players are allowed to play and give us poor performance while younger players do not get a chance. The loan system has too often let us down. And sometimes we haven't allowed players to go out on loan soon enough - Brandon comes to mind, that one season where there was interest in him but Ole kept him at the club.

I also think owning multi-clubs is the way forward, and United should get on the act quickly. This will allow our more promising youngsters to go out on loan sooner, at a team with less pressure. Which makes it strange that we didn't renew our interest in the close ties we had in the past, e.g., the Royal Antwerp links, although maybe RA are not the right club anymore.

I hope that, under the new management and new owners, there's a real improvement on that front. Besides the first team, I would prioritise the youth team setup and training ground before a new stadium.

Dan_F

It’s a bit strange if neither him or Elanga go out on loan. Seems like we’d rather play Bruno on the right than give him a chance - of course this was completely right against City.

If he doesn’t get any significant minutes against Forest or Reading then he has to go out on loan.

Kostov

He should leave for his own best interest. Will never get a proper fair chance ahead of the 100m winger who followed our manager from his old club.

romufc

I really find it strange, all the talk from Carrington is that he trains well, Ten Hag said he thought he did well.

Considering how poor Antony has been playing, surprised he cant get a look in at all.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I really find it strange, all the talk from Carrington is that he trains well, Ten Hag said he thought he did well.

Considering how poor Antony has been playing, surprised he cant get a look in at all.
it's the same weird obsession that ETH has with playing Elanga or giving Iqbal zero playing time even in the league cup.

romufc

it's the same weird obsession that ETH has with playing Elanga or giving Iqbal zero playing time even in the league cup.
It was interesting to see that Mainoo got a start over Iqbal. To me, it looks like Ten Hag wanted to play the big guns, be 2/3-0 up by 60 mins and bring him on, unfortunately, that has never been the case.

He really wants to win a trophy and is using the best players. I suspect Antony is being used because he championed for him and we spent 100m on him so he cant leave his most expensive signing for a youth prospect.

Only thing I can think of.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It was interesting to see that Mainoo got a start over Iqbal. To me, it looks like Ten Hag wanted to play the big guns, be 2/3-0 up by 60 mins and bring him on, unfortunately, that has never been the case.

He really wants to win a trophy and is using the best players. I suspect Antony is being used because he championed for him and we spent 100m on him so he cant leave his most expensive signing for a youth prospect.

In fairness Mainoo is undoubtedly the biggest midfield talent we have.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Which is not the sign of a great manager. One thing SAF was never afraid to do was to ditch a big signing and play a kid if the big signing hadn't been producing.

romufc

Which is not the sign of a great manager. One thing SAF was never afraid to do was to ditch a big signing and play a kid if the big signing hadn't been producing.
Well, lets not get too ahead of ourselves. This is Ten Hag's first season and what he has done so far is really good.

Considering he had Antony at Ajax, he clearly knows how he plays and Antony should know Ten Hag's style too but it just seems he is lost out there at the moment.

In relation to Pellestri, I reckon me might get mins in the league cup of FA cup game.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It comes from an outlet called OGlobo anyone know if it is reliable?
Brazil's largest media empire (TV/newspaper).

I used to think they were reliable, not any more. But then, I don't trust the BBC these days either.

It would absolutely make sense for Flamengo to target him. Fits their style and is the same profile of player as their current best player, also from Uruguay.

antohan

Considering he had Antony at Ajax, he clearly knows how he plays and Antony should know Ten Hag's style too but it just seems he is lost out there at the moment.
I used to feel the same about it. Then we had the Sancho stuff, the cameo, Antony's continued shitness...

I'm at the point now where I remind myself Klopp signed Nuñez and that doesn't make me question Klopp's ability as a manager.

That's how far I'm down the road of not understanding this at all.

NYAS

Brazil's largest media empire (TV/newspaper).

I used to think they were reliable, not any more. But then, I don't trust the BBC these days either.

It would absolutely make sense for Flamengo to target him. Fits their style and is the same profile of player as their current best player, also from Uruguay.
Hmm, I’ve been watching Flamengo for the last 4 years and can’t think of many similarities between Giorgian and Facundo other than nationality and height. Yes they are both attackers of course, but quite different play styles. They would compliment each other in a front 4 definitely.

I would also have concerns over his play time at Flamengo as Everton Ribeiro isn’t over the hill just yet and I don’t think Pellistri would start over him. Probably a year early for that transition.

criticalanalysis

Well, lets not get too ahead of ourselves. This is Ten Hag's first season and what he has done so far is really good.

In relation to Pellestri, I reckon me might get mins in the league cup of FA cup game.
Glad you said it. Comparing SAF's best attributes where he was able to inherit and nurture the Class of 92 (after 6+ years at the club) to ETH's 1st season (less than 6 months!) :smirk:

Skills

Snitch
I used to feel the same about it. Then we had the Sancho stuff, the cameo, Antony's continued shitness...

I'm at the point now where I remind myself Klopp signed Nuñez and that doesn't make me question Klopp's ability as a manager.

That's how far I'm down the road of not understanding this at all.
Great coaches are not great judges of talent. It's why the managers role has been whittled down so much in the last 10-15 years.

The clubs who are actually good at recruitment have dedicated teams spending who's full time job is talent evaluation, and they're empowered to help make the club right choices based on their expertise. At Manchester United, we empower a guy who's full time job is to coach the first team, look after the matchday stuff, media etc and only do the recruitment/talent evaluation as a part time job a few hours a week maybe.

Last edited:

antohan

Hmm, I’ve been watching Flamengo for the last 4 years and can’t think of many similarities between Giorgian and Facundo other than nationality and height. Yes they are both attackers of course, but quite different play styles. They would compliment each other in a front 4 definitely.
By same profile I mean more personality/character/temperament than like for like players (they don't want to replace Giorgian anyway).

As you also notice, they would compliment each other well and is there anything better than building around your star player?

Status
Not open for further replies.