Facundo Pellistri signs for Manchester United

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
according to multiple news outlet in Uruguay, the release clause is USD$9.6M not EUR/GBP 10M

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Rafael and Fabio weren’t first team buys. They played in the academy for a bit.
Rafael played straight away - they could only play games for us from the 08/09 season due to work permit issues, and he played in the first game of the season.

Fabio made the bench for the second game and then got injured.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ansu Fati started to play regularly for Barcelona at 17, he is older than that. What is the problem to play him?
Sure no problem at all. If he is good enough he will play. But I wouldn’t take it for granted, he is only 18 after all, he does look abit raw and unpolished from YouTube, I think I would expect at least 1-2 years for him to settling in first.

Red00012

Judging by you tube videos I don’t think he’s ready . Time will tell I guess

Alemar

Sure no problem at all. If he is good enough he will play. But I wouldn’t take it for granted, he is only 18 after all, he does look abit raw and unpolished from YouTube, I think I would expect at least 1-2 years for him to settling in first.
He does look a bit raw, but his competition is Daniel James, Lingard and Mata. If Mata may be useful for SOME games based on tactics, Lingard and especially James are just poor regardless of tactics. So even if Facundo (and later also Diallo) is simply better than James (which is very likely), he can already play regardless of being raw.

No one expects him to push Greenwood or Rashford out of the team - we are talking about becoming their first sub / rotation

Leonzo1

He'll go straight to the first team squad. He played for a full season in a senior team. The reason we send young players to the youth team is because they are not used to playing against men. It doesn't matter if it's Uruguayan men or English men. He's Ready, the question is if he's good enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Andy Mitten from Talk of the Devils podcast: "I'd be surprised if Pellistri and Diallo will be United first team level at this stage, from what I'm told".

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He'll go straight to the first team squad. He played for a full season in a senior team. The reason we send young players to the youth team is because they are not used to playing against men. It doesn't matter if it's Uruguayan men or English men. He's Ready, the question is if he's good enough.
He's 100% going into the U23s.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He does look a bit raw, but his competition is Daniel James, Lingard and Mata. If Mata may be useful for SOME games based on tactics, Lingard and especially James are just poor regardless of tactics. So even if Facundo (and later also Diallo) is simply better than James (which is very likely), he can already play regardless of being raw.

No one expects him to push Greenwood or Rashford out of the team - we are talking about becoming their first sub / rotation
In the next few months, yes. But after that he will have to compete with Traore. I really do think Traore is more talented and more ready for first team action.

Smores

In the next few months, yes. But after that he will have to compete with Traore. I really do think Traore is more talented and more ready for first team action.
How have you possibly arrived at that conclusion? The lads played 23 minutes of first team football and I'm going to guess you've seen neither lad play.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
We have seen these youngsters been signed more than once, how many actually make it to the first team?
Not many. It's part of the process, I personally love the fact that we're signing all of these young talents.

Granted with this kid, if YouTube is anything to go by (which it isn't tbf), he really doesn't look like he's up to much. His stats in Uruguay reflect the same. You'd think that if we were to spend this much on 18yo from the Uruguayan league that he'd be tearing it up.

Andy Mitten has a relationship with Diego Forlan, ex manager of Pellistri, and talked to him recently and when asked if Pellistri was ready Mitten actually sniggered and said no.

Alemar

Perfect, we will then have the duo of Traore and Facundo instead of the duo of Lingard and James. It’s only better if both of them play well

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Is he too old to play in the U19 UEFA youth champions league thingy? (or whatever the feck it’s called)
Yes he’s a month too old for the regular selection. You are allowed 5 players that are 1 year overage though which he could qualify for. Not sure when those 5 chosen would have to be submitted to UEFA, I guess not yet with it being delayed until March.

dinostar77

Yeh multiple outlets have said hes gonna train with the first team. Makes complete sense. Have a proper look at him in training with the first team (Cavani being uruguayan helps), throw him in for some games and see how he does. If he adapts to PL football like a duck to water then we may not need to try for Sancho next summer. Diallo and Pellestri could be enough on the RW to give both the required game time without burning them out. If your good enough your old enough. I like him, reminds me of Brian Laudrup.

Btw, Diallo teammates said he is a nightmare to play against and in a youth game against City, he caused so much havoc that City had to come up with a gameplan in the return leg specifically to stop him.

meamth

My head telling me this is "Zoran Tosic" level of signing.

But my heart tells me it's a shrewd signing.

jesperjaap

Understand your point totally....what I dont understand though is why "1-2years". I feel from what I am reading at least Diallo may be more ready but many of us have been slating Mata and Lingard for ages now....that is there competition, why cant they at least get passed them over the coming season? In fact, if they take 1/2years we only have Greenwood who lets be honest as great as he has been goal scoring wise is quite obviously not a right winger....if its 1/2years we are in trouble

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Andy Mitten from Talk of the Devils podcast: "I'd be surprised if Pellistri and Diallo will be United first team level at this stage, from what I'm told".
This clears it up the expectations at least given there's so much discussion about them being thrust into the first team. I still feel if they impress early enough they could be given chances sooner, but it seems that's not the initial expectation.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This clears it up the expectations at least given there's so much discussion about them being thrust into the first team. I still feel if they impress early enough they could be given chances sooner, but it seems that's not the initial expectation.
yeah this is what he was eluding to - when referring to Diallo specifically, that the coaches will still need to see how he is with his peers in training, judge his mentality and then decide if he can be thrust into a game at OT or the Premier League.

Bestietom

Throwing a kid around the first team with the state we’re in could ruin him.
only saying I read this, and sky sports transfer news said it too. Must have some hope for him. I would be happy with Greenwood there anyway.

Last edited:

cyberman

It should be easier to give talented kids playing time since matches are basically in training ground settings. There are no crowds, no atmosphere where they would feel pressure to perform.
Thats the theory anyway, that its a lot easier for those players who impress in training but cant handle match day nerves to stamp their authority on games

Alemar

Throwing a kid around the first team with the state we’re in could ruin him.
What we could lose? In the worst case he will be at the level of James, but maybe we won’t encounter the worst. I don’t believe for a second he is not better than him already

SteveW

I'd say he'll be given time to settle and maybe a few u23 games but he is 19 in December and is already into his second season of senior football including a good few games in the Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League)

He's not a youth player.

Bestietom

I'd say he'll be given time to settle and maybe a few u23 games but he is 19 in December and is already into his second season of senior football including a good few games in the Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League)

He's not a youth player.
He should be used to getting kicked around then.

djdhrubs

One of the most underwhelming youtube videos ever, with annoying South American pipe music too.

Will probably be great for us.