Falcão (futsal)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Was watching some videos of his earlier. This guy had unreal technique and was probably the greatest futsal player of all time. How does the Caf reckon he would've done in actual football? Could he have played at a high level or is there just too much difference between football and futsal?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Futsal is just another name for 5-a-side football, right?

I reckon he would have been unplayable for about 33 minutes and 18 seconds before passing out through exhaustion.

SATA

I don’t think he will have the proper awareness to play on a football pitch. Those skills and tricks you see in futsal can’t really be used on a football pitch too

Steven7290

Futsal is just another name for 5-a-side football, right?

I reckon he would have been unplayable for about 33 minutes and 18 seconds before passing out through exhaustion.
Not just 5 a side but with a hard court, different shoes, different ball weight and texture. Ball control with plantar more than touches with the dorsal part of the foot. Same principle but different in details.

Edit: so no, he would be standing in a relatively small space just keeping the ball nutmegging people and earning fouls. Probably plays in Serie A

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not just 5 a side but with a hard court, different shoes, different ball weight and texture. Ball control with plantar more than touches with the dorsal part of the foot. Same principle but different in details.
Thanks for the education.

So he most likely would have been a bit rubbish then?

Snafu17

I'm pretty sure he played football for a bit in Brazil didn't he?

Generally though there's a quite a difference between futsal and football. It's not as easily translatable as you'd think.

Minkaro

I'm pretty sure he played football for a bit in Brazil didn't he?

Generally though there's a quite a difference between futsal and football. It's not as easily translatable as you'd think.
Two appearances for Sao Paulo. That's from Wiki, and I think they limit it to league appearances on the sidebar, so he might have played a bit more.

Seen some videos of him playing Futsal though, he pulled off some ridiculous tricks in games.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Professional football at the top level is a different beast. Just look at the F2 freestylers, great technique alone isnt enough. You need insane fitness, either you have it or you don't.

Decomposing In Paris

Professional football at the top level is a different beast. Just look at the F2 freestylers, great technique alone isnt enough. You need insane fitness, either you have it or you don't.
Agreed, top level football is incredibly fast... most people have just no idea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Agreed, top level football is incredibly fast... most people have just no idea.
Not to mention the life of a pro footballer is very different. The social aspect, strict schedules and diet. So many players can't manage the life of a footballer outside the training sessions and matches, the period where your mental strength is constantly being tested.

That being said Falcao was so good with the ball and kept himself fit enough to be the best in this sport for a long time that he'd be a good footballer without a doubt. At what level I don't know but at least good enough to be pro.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He tried to switch over. Had trials with Palmeiras where he scored and cramped up and gassed by 60 mins and wasn’t offered a contract.

Later played 13 times with Sao Paulo without doing much. If he could have played at the top level then he would have but he couldn’t.

SungSam7

He tried to switch over. Had trials with Palmeiras where he scored and cramped up and gassed by 60 mins and wasn’t offered a contract.

Later played 13 times with Sao Paulo without doing much. If he could have played at the top level then he would have but he couldn’t.
Surely if he had shown something to Palmeiras, fitness would have been an easy fix. I'm sure cardio is something you can pick up with training.

Charles Miller

In fact he looked good in the pitch. With a pre season he probably would play well, but his coach at Sao Paulo was a guy named Emerson Leao who, for some reason, was determined to not let Falcao to be a football player. He would give him some cameos in bad situations, and when all the media was praising Falcao after a game, Leao would trash him in the press conference.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Surely if he had shown something to Palmeiras, fitness would have been an easy fix. I'm sure cardio is something you can pick up with training.
I'm not quite sure. There is a semi - professional american soccer player who vlogs his training schedule. And this guy takes it seriously and he's still not good enough fitness wise. It's like saying anyone with enough training can be a sub 2:30h marathon runner. You have to be very very very dedicated as well as natural aptitude.

Reactions: Penna

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
He's so amazing to watch. One of my favourite skills is this move

Thiago uses it consistently. It doesn't show in the video, but the real magic is that it allows you to plant your weaker foot at end so that you're able to accelerate away. It's so sweet when it comes off.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
In this era where defenders don't really defend, he'd probably be able to show something for himself. Defenders make all the difference. He'd probably be bullied out completely.

Andersonson

I've played futsal in the top division in my country and even a european cup.

Some players are unreal on futsal-court and terrible on a football-field and vice-versa. A good fotballer wouldnt automaticlly be good in futsal.