Famous/great goals that had questionable goalkeeping

thepolice123

First goal that came to mind was the Eto'o goal against us in the CL. I don't think it was even a good shot by him. VDS must be very disappointed to be beaten at near post.

Ronaldo's goal against Barca at the CDR. It was headed straight and I think better goalkeeper would have saved it.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Ronaldo vs Porto. Helton only suffered that goal due to bad positioning. No GK should concede from that far.

Without that fluke and without our captain's injury we could very well have knocked you out after a 2-2 in OT. And it was one of your best sides ever that season..

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ronaldo's freekick v Arsenal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Albert vs. Schmeichel ... I mean what the feck is he doing so far out of his goal?

Welbeckham

THAT Van Basten goal. Dassaev was way too far on the front post.

Also first two of Barcelona’s goals in 2011 UCL final.

Ramires in the UCL semi vs Barcelona definitely.

I also think a better GK could’ve saved Zidane’s volley vs Leverkusen, but that’s not like the others.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
THAT Van Basten goal. Dassaev was way too far on the front post.

Also first two of Barcelona’s goals in 2011 UCL final.

Ramires in the UCL semi vs Barcelona definitely.

I also think a better GK could’ve saved Zidane’s volley vs Leverkusen, but that’s not like the others.
Agree with Messi's against Van der Sar, he looked his age there - but hard to criticise the keepers for the others.

Van Basten - even if Dasayev is just behind his front post, the ball still loops over him. If he's any deeper he risks the goal at the near post.
Zidane - he catches it flush on the volley from almost point blank range and it bends from out to in.
Ramires - Valdes closes the angle well IMO, it's just a perfect chip executed despite the ball moving forwards on the deck quite quickly. If Valdes is deeper, Ramires can take another touch and pass it into the corner of the net - which is a much easier finish.

Hardly anyone up here ever mentions the keeping in this goal, all we got was how mercurial McFadden is:

Same for this one:

fps

First goal that came to mind was the Eto'o goal against us in the CL. I don't think it was even a good shot by him. VDS must be very disappointed to be beaten at near post.

Ronaldo's goal against Barca at the CDR. It was headed straight and I think better goalkeeper would have saved it.

Disagree with the first one, Eto'o takes the shot very quickly at points blank range and he has the whole of the goal to aim for.

izec

Disagree with the first one, Eto'o takes the shot very quickly at points blank range and he has the whole of the goal to aim for.
I agree, particularly since plenty of mistakes happened before that. VDS booting the ball upfield with no pressure, no one contesting Busquets, Carrick gifting Barca the ball, nobody challenging Iniesta (Carrick, Anderson, Evra), Vidic getting duped by Eto'o and Carrick coming too late, with Evra jogging back as well. VDS could have done better, but it was neither a big mistake or questionable, nor was it a famous/great goal.

Every GK can do better and i am sure plenty saved some shots in training or in other matches they conceded in some games, that's football.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Reina vs Sunderland. That was an easy save to make, regardless of the small deflection from the beach ball.

Nickelodeon

All goals scored from beyond the half line including ones by Goalkeepers

DVG7

Ronaldo free kick v Portsmouth. David James should be saving that.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ronaldo vs Porto. Helton only suffered that goal due to bad positioning. No GK should concede from that far.

Without that fluke and without our captain's injury we could very well have knocked you out after a 2-2 in OT. And it was one of your best sides ever that season..
Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

You were very very lucky to knock us out and win it with Jose. Swings and roundabouts my friend!

fps

Reina vs Sunderland. That was an easy save to make, regardless of the small deflection from the beach ball.
Well no because he has a split second and two balls go off in different directions.

SirFergie

How can you call that goal a 'fluke'? Arie Haan may have something to say about that. A fluke is if it deflected in off someone's arse and looped over the guy.

It flew in, great goal.

romufc

The point is no GK expects anyone to shoot from that far.. Ronaldo chanced his arm and caught the keeper off guard.

Ronaldo has scored a number of outstanding goals in his career, so I wouldnt call it a fluke.

fps

The school 2nd XI keeper in me is screaming at some of these posts haha. No-one knows what it's like to be a goalie....

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Well no because he has a split second and two balls go off in different directions.
Yet in that split second he turns to the bright red ball which is 5 times larger than the ball he's been playing with all season. He was never world class, a poor man's Neil Sullivan.

paulscholes18

Rivaldo’s 2nd vs Valencia (unfortunately can’t find a video of just his 2nd)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The school 2nd XI keeper in me is screaming at some of these posts haha. No-one knows what it's like to be a goalie....
There's some harsh calls aren't there :lol: To be fair if some of these keepers had their time again they would do something different but an unexpected timing/angle of a shot plus a sweet connection can make it very tricky for goalkeepers in the moment. Keepers are destined to look foolish at times, there isn't a single one who has been spared.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
There's some harsh calls aren't there :lol: To be fair if some of these keepers had their time again they would do something different but an unexpected timing/angle of a shot plus a sweet connection can make it very tricky for goalkeepers in the moment. Keepers are destined to look foolish at times, there isn't a single one who has been spared.

It's nonsense. Seaman has to cover several angles and a shot belted above him at pace is very hard to react to.

Most on here have never played footy to a decent standard so haven't a clue just how hard it is.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Did the first leg end 2-2? I thought we went through 1-0 on aggregate. Genuinely don’t remember a 2-2.

poleglass red

Not that I agree with this assertion, I think it was just a terrific goal, Whiteside in 85 cup final, but I seen Andy Gray say to Gordon Strachan in a recent interview he felt that the defender Van Den Hauew should have shown Whiteside down the line but also that Southall should have done better on the goal. I think Gray was just bitter they lost the game

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Not exactly wonder goals, but Ronaldo’s hattrick against us in 2003. First and third goal should have been saved by any competent goalkeeper. Very overrated hattrick

thepolice123

Anyone thinks this should really have been saved? Pinto's positioning looked bad there. Bale was going nowhere too.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
My Ronaldo loving housemate seems to think that Messi’s solo goal vs Athletic Bilbao is one that should have been saved “as it was near post”.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Anyone thinks this should really have been saved? Pinto's positioning looked bad there. Bale was going nowhere too.
Kevin Keegan, who has talked his fair share of rubbish in his time, made the point during Kluivert's nutmegs goal against England at Euro 96 that Seaman did everything right in terms of making himself a big target in the goal. If the striker puts it through a keeper's legs he looks a bit of a plum but you'd rather have that than have a keeper immobilise himself by standing with his feet together. Here you could argue Pinto can cut the angle better and the defender should have taken Bale out way back when he was losing the footrace but it's a good, brave finish for me.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca

THANK YOU. I can't put the boot in the way I would like because I'd get accused of bias haha, but at the end of the day, Bale has just run past a much slower centre back, then been able to take three, that's THREE touches in the box, after his touch outside the box, then sclaff it under Pinto. People really seem to be impressed when a player runs a long distance for some reason. Pinto in goals for Barca conceded quite a few ham and egg goals, particularly against Madrid in Copa games. Pep made a mistake by playing him in the cup games, even if he was super popular amongst the players. Pinto was just incredibly sluggish compared to other keepers of the day. Compare to Peter Schmeichel for example for someone who never seemed to get nutmegged as a keeper, because he could position his body correctly when the attacker was up close.