Famous/great goals that had questionable goalkeeping

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
First goal that came to mind was the Eto'o goal against us in the CL. I don't think it was even a good shot by him. VDS must be very disappointed to be beaten at near post.

First goal that game to mind before I opened the thread :lol:

Gazza

Ronaldo vs Porto. Helton only suffered that goal due to bad positioning. No GK should concede from that far.

Without that fluke and without our captain's injury we could very well have knocked you out after a 2-2 in OT. And it was one of your best sides ever that season..
:lol: You don’t know what the word “fluke” means, clearly

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
My Ronaldo loving housemate seems to think that Messi’s solo goal vs Athletic Bilbao is one that should have been saved “as it was near post”.

Yeah that’s silly. It’s a myth that no goals should ever be conceded at the keeper’s near post.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
The point is no GK expects anyone to shoot from that far.. Ronaldo chanced his arm and caught the keeper off guard.

Ronaldo has scored a number of outstanding goals in his career, so I wouldnt call it a fluke.
yeah fluke might be a bit harsh. He clearly wanted to score that way but a good keeper these days would be obliged to save those.

Helton had phenomenal agility but he was prone to a mistake or two in European nights costing us the tie in a few occasions.

Did the first leg end 2-2? I thought we went through 1-0 on aggregate. Genuinely don’t remember a 2-2.
Yep 2-2. We had a good team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I actually don't think that Bale's bicycle kick was anywhere near as unstoppable as people think it was

Although it's not right at the keeper, it's nowhere near the top corner either, and the speed of the ball isn't that fast.

Karius takes a hop just around the time Bale connects with the ball, so he's late to dive. He also pulls his arms out mid-dive for whatever reason.

A better goalkeeper saves that IMO.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I actually don't think that Bale's bicycle kick was anywhere near as unstoppable as people think it was

Although it's not right at the keeper, it's nowhere near the top corner either, and the speed of the ball isn't that fast.

Karius takes a hop just around the time Bale connects with the ball, so he's late to dive. He also pulls his arms out mid-dive for whatever reason.

It's obviously not the clown show of the others he conceded in that game, but it always looked to me like he was plenty close enough to get something on that and pulled his hand away.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

VDS always seemed to me that those low shots close to him from in the box were probably his biggest weakness as a keeper. Reminds me of the last goal in this uefa cup quarter final against Spartak from his peak, which is a famous goal among their fans...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

It's one of my favourite goals of all time. It's one of the quickest bycicle kicks I've ever seen and karius just couldn't react in time. The cross was quick, the reaction of Bale was quick.

It's the dip just under Karius that makes it look simpler than it is - but watch it again,

He lobs karius when Karius steps over the line just by a couple of centimetres. The commentary focuses on the dip specifically too. It's got everything.

Its absolutely stunning.

tenpoless

Neuer vs Korea. I don't get the obsession with him, He's a good goal keeper and of course famously known. But He comes across like a bit of a nutter. This wasn't the first time He came out of his penalty box. Someone could probably create a compilation of his and Valdes' mistakes and it will look like an ordinary clip of football than questionable goalkeeping.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

So many goals in football that go in because the keepers are doing a random jump as the ball is being kicked...

thepolice123

Hardly anyone up here ever mentions the keeping in this goal, all we got was how mercurial McFadden is:

This was simply a very bad goalkeeping. Its a good shot but it wasn't even fast and struck with power. I remember the media were creaming themselves the next day.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
So many goals in football that go in because the keepers are doing a random jump as the ball is being kicked...
One key quality of some of the best shotstoppers I've ever seen (Buffon, and to a lesser extend De Gea) is that they always had their body ready for a dive as the ball was being kicked. Feet planted, crouched down, etc...

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I also think that Lloris should have done better against Eder's goal at the Euro 2016 final.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo vs Porto. Helton only suffered that goal due to bad positioning. No GK should concede from that far.

Without that fluke and without our captain's injury we could very well have knocked you out after a 2-2 in OT. And it was one of your best sides ever that season..
That's a lot of coulda woulda shoulda.

It's like us saying we would have beaten you 4-0 at home if we were on top form.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Neuer vs Korea. I don't get the obsession with him, He's a good goal keeper and of course famously known. But He comes across like a bit of a nutter. This wasn't the first time He came out of his penalty box. Someone could probably create a compilation of his and Valdes' mistakes and it will look like an ordinary clip of football than questionable goalkeeping.
Eh? Germany had to score 2 goals by that point to go through so Neuer did simply what every keeper would, join the attack. Obviously it was all very pointless, they wouldnt have scored 2 in 2 minutes either way and technically is was his mistake. But no one blamed him in the context of the game and its not really a case of a famous/great goal that had questionable goalkeeping.

Shouldn't Romero be saving this?

Good shout and I always wondered the same because he really looks akward diving out to his right and normally you wouldn`t expect someone scoring from that angle.
However looking at it again, I think he can`t be at fault, Götze is very very close, so his time to react is basically nothing and Götze does actually incredible well to control it with the chest and shoot it with his left in one quick fluid motion. If anything I´d blame the defenders for leaving that much space for Götze to go inbetween.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I dunno. Free hit within the 6-yard box, struck with power into the far corner. It's impossible for him to react in that situation. Not seeing much wrong in his left hand position either, it's in the right area for a close-range effort.

tenpoless

Eh? Germany had to score 2 goals by that point to go through so Neuer did simply what every keeper would, join the attack. Obviously it was all very pointless, they wouldnt have scored 2 in 2 minutes either way and technically is was his mistake. But no one blamed him in the context of the game and its not really a case of a famous/great goal that had questionable goalkeeping.
Still a questionable goalkeeping because He was not goalkeeping. And the goal is definitely famous, at least where I live.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think a braver keeper might save it, Neuer or Schmeichel would do the star fish and probably knock it with their arm.

Romero I think over commits a bit too much to the near post and isn't spread enough - but that's easy to say, I think Gotze surprised him with being able to hook it to the far post.

LiquidSnake

Disagree with the first one, Eto'o takes the shot very quickly at points blank range and he has the whole of the goal to aim for.
I agree with you, looks like poor keeping but Eto'o was very subtle to shoot it very quick and at the unexpected angle. Let's say a world class keeper like VDS might have save it.

However the goal of Messi in the 2011 final is poor keeping for someone of VDS class.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Good shout and I always wondered the same because he really looks akward diving out to his right and normally you wouldn`t expect someone scoring from that angle.
However looking at it again, I think he can`t be at fault, Götze is very very close, so his time to react is basically nothing and Götze does actually incredible well to control it with the chest and shoot it with his left in one quick fluid motion. If anything I´d blame the defenders for leaving that much space for Götze to go inbetween.
For me Romero needs to move to his near post and is surprised when Götze puts it it across him. It's one of those where if he'd managed to get his left hand in the way it would have been a fantastic save but there would have been an element of luck in him getting his body position right from that range.

I think a braver keeper might save it, Neuer or Schmeichel would do the star fish and probably knock it with their arm.

Romero I think over commits a bit too much to the near post and isn't spread enough - but that's easy to say, I think Gotze surprised him with being able to hook it to the far post.
Yeah I think some keepers would have 'made themselves big' and got their left arm to it, but nobody is intentionally blocking that shot from that range. I also think if Götze goes near post some keepers would have been embarrassed because they didn't move quickly enough to their right, so it's very difficult to say what is 'correct' in these instances.

thepolice123

Anyone thinks this should really have been saved? Felt like it was really poor reaction from the GK.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So many here never tried goalkeeping eh.

Benefits of repetitive replays and slow replays in every angles made it seem like it's the gk's "faults".
Exactly. I think it's a questionable thread. Theres a difference between a goalkeeper making a mistake where they should have done better and where they got outdone by an attacker.

If you rewatch this over and over again then in the same opinion its possible to question some but not all of the goalkeepers decisions or capabilities

I think the goalkeeping here isnt nowhere near the best in arguably one of the best goals of all time - a better goal keeper may have seen Messi coming at momentum dribbling past 5-6 players with ease and decides to either a) stay on his line to focus purely on his shot as a goal keeper like de gea might do or b) a goalkeeper makes himself bigger and puts pressure significantly better than just falling and not even attempting to get the ball by diving with his hands and feet.

However as you said, its just reviewing old goals from hindsight and different angles.

Ultimately, it's not the goalkeepers reason that messi scored a goal there - it was a great goal because of messi. The same with Gareth bale's goal in the CL final - there is a difference between a goal keepers mistake and watching replays and telling each other that a better goal keepers had the ability to save it through better positioning, better reading and better reactions- you could end up doing that for nearly every single goal that isnt in the top left and right corner then.

Is everytime someone gets chipped questionable goalkeeping or goalkeeping actions the goalkeeper had to do? A goal is about someone outgoing the goalkeeper- watching replays about past goals and saying a better goalkeeper could have saved it can be done for literally every goal because it's just bullshit.

montpelier

The Beckham Greek FK raises some general points that I think are worth considering. There's also a Beckham utd FK that looks really quite soft but I can't remember which game.

But anyway

1 Can the keeper see the ball as its kicked? Because if he can't then he has to see the ball AND then see the flight of the ball.

2 Does the flight of the ball cross the keepers eyeline? Central fks are better or more confusing here. It takes longer to know which side the ball is going if the shot is whipped through/across the GKs eyeline. It's sending the keeper momentarily the wrong way, essentially. A lot of Le Tissier penalties look like this, he shapes to go right and if he sees the keeper move to there, whips it back across. Even from further out the shape of the shot takes time to read, so central across the eyeline of the keeper makes the destination of the ball just that bit harder to read. And it's also possible for the GK to wrongfoot himself and/or get affected by not seeing the ball kicked too, whereupon he looks a right idiot.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Anyone thinks this should really have been saved? Felt like it was really poor reaction from the GK.
Yes. Good strike under pressure, but the keeper is all over the shop. His only defence is Sheringham blocking off the sight of the ball.

Same with this one. Mondragon may as well start at the corner flag he is that far away from where the ball ends up. I mean everyone knew where Beckham invariably puts the ball.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Bale's overhead kick against us in the CL final. A better keeper reaches that imo. Karius pulls his arm in making a half arsed dive for it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Missed your post, completely agree.

AungAung

Supports
Liverpool
Yes. Good strike under pressure, but the keeper is all over the shop. His only defence is Sheringham blocking off the sight of the ball.

Same with this one. Mondragon may as well start at the corner flag he is that far away from where the ball ends up. I mean everyone knew where Beckham invariably puts the ball.
(Sorry can't post media yet so had to delete the youtube link from the quoted post. It was Beckham free-kick against Colombia)

Wasn't it a goal from France 98 world cup group stage?

I think Beckham was not even that well known back then. It was his first major international tournament after all. He didn't even start in previous two matches. In fact both Owen and Beckham didn't start until that Colombia match.